• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

thenexus6

Just been sat and watched my friend play the first one via share play.

He's never played the games before so was pretty cool. Just finished Drake's Fortune - controls and movements are still pretty janky at times.

Revven

And I have to say the controls are a bit wonky sometimes, especially the cover system which has gotten me killed many times because it has stuck me to the wrong wall etc. Another complaint would be that sometimes I'm clearly holding the direction to jump one way and it'll just jump me off a cliff to my death. I'm enjoying the games on the whole but they're not quite as good as I was expecting, the set pieces really do carry it somewhat.

The cover mechanics, in my mind, have never been that great just due to how circle will just make you stick to whatever is defined as the nearest piece of cover. Often times it is better to not use cover and just stand behind something and pop your head out on your own with the analogue stick. I know in some areas this isn't possible and you do have to use cover but it's better than using cover 100% of the time -- you definitely die a lot less if you don't always use it and strafe left and right.

As far as jumping goes, that is all contingent on where you have the camera pointed, where Drake is pointed, and the collision you're standing on. If you're on something that's lumpy or even slightly not straight it's very easy for Drake to jump the wrong direction. You just need to pay more attention to your position, where Drake is facing, and the camera.

Anyone having problems with the game? It's constantly crashing on me, and apparently the only solution is to initialize my PS4. :/

Btw, since when can you d/l PS4 games with the patches already installed? Every time I redownload the game it shows that the patch has been applied.

SURGEdude

Beat UC1 2 days ago and it's amazing how well it's aged. It's certainly not perfect and the endless combat can be tiring, but man is it still a blast. Interestingly I realized about 2/3rds into the game that somehow I never finished it on PS3 despite my impression that I had. Kinda fun to have that last 3rd be totally new to me.

Moved onto UC2 and ran into a nasty bug in the early stealth chapter which messed with the guard placement to the point where I had to restart the game with a new save. Luckily it was 45 minutes in so I'm not angry and the bug didn't reappear. Pretty amazing how much better the graphics are in UC2 even considering the remaster.

trickyaudio

Neo Member
Drakes fortune done and dusted again for the first time since 2007! Only took a day, which was nice. Completed on hard and collected all the treasures, now I really wanna slap it on crushing or brutal but I'm concerned for my £50 controller....

U2 next!

Just beat Crushing and got all the treasures.

Now I can play Eddy Raja, the true hero of Uncharted! ^^

Seriously though, he is my fav <3

But holy shit..... Brutal is an absolute SHIT mode. I hope I don't need that to platinum trophy.... unfortunately now I can't get the three golden guns (92FS, Deagle, and AK) because they are all locked behind it... ugh!

Gives you no ammo on same weapon pick up almost (max 2 to 3 bullets for ANY weapon, including pistols and rifles).

And you die even faster than Crushing of course... horrible mode! Whose idea was this? You literally die on two of any shots by the enemy at any point, a few areas will be near impossible!
Drakes fortune done and dusted again for the first time since 2007! Only took a day, which was nice. Completed on hard and collected all the treasures, now I really wanna slap it on crushing or brutal but I'm concerned for my £50 controller....

U2 next!
Don't do Brutal.... it is complete bullshit.

I am already having a tough time just getting through Act 3. It's ridiculously unfair, and I can already foresee some points in the game that will be near impossible if not impossible....

I can't believe they locked the Golden guns behind that mode.... ffs..... before it was locked behind Crushing.

trickyaudio

Neo Member
Just beat Crushing and got all the treasures.

Now I can play Eddy Raja, the true hero of Uncharted! ^^

Seriously though, he is my fav <3

But holy shit..... Brutal is an absolute SHIT mode. I hope I don't need that to platinum trophy.... unfortunately now I can't get the three golden guns (92FS, Deagle, and AK) because they are all locked behind it... ugh!

Gives you no ammo on same weapon pick up almost (max 2 to 3 bullets for ANY weapon, including pistols and rifles).

And you die even faster than Crushing of course... horrible mode! Whose idea was this? You literally die on two of any shots by the enemy at any point, a few areas will be near impossible!
Don't do Brutal.... it is complete bullshit.

I am already having a tough time just getting through Act 3. It's ridiculously unfair, and I can already foresee some points in the game that will be near impossible if not impossible....

I can't believe they locked the Golden guns behind that mode.... ffs..... before it was locked behind Crushing.

Jesus, that sucks. Thanks for the heads up. Luckily doesn't affect the plat though!

zsynqx

Now on Uncharted 3, surprisingly quite a large graphical jump after 2. Maybe not on the scale from 1 to 2 but it is noticeable. Aiming has definitely been fixed but enemy hit reactions are the same as ps3. Much worse than 1 and 2 in this regard.

antitrop

Now on Uncharted 3, surprisingly quite a large graphical jump after 2. Maybe not on the scale from 1 to 2 but it is noticeable. Aiming has definitely been fixed but enemy hit reactions are the same as ps3. Much worse than 1 and 2 in this regard.

Uncharted 2 tree got nothin' on Uncharted 3 tree

K1i7DiB.png

-griffy-

Banned
How does the digital version work? Just bought it and it's only downloading a 3gb file.

That's just a feature of PS4 digital downloads, to let you start playing before the full download is complete. In this case it only needs to download that 3GB file and then you can start the game and play the first chapter or so. Once it's done downloading that segment you'll see another download with the other 40GB or whatever going.

Revven

Just finished UC1 on Hard. Man, the last two chapters are super short but then it makes sense with Chapters 17-20 being the hardest parts of the game (well, ignoring the parts where you face the
monsters
). Died quite a few times on Chapter 20 notably, as I expected I would due to rust of remembering the arena.

Ultimately, the game has not aged that terribly but this is due partly to the shooting being made to be the same as UC2. UC1's original shooting + the input delay it had made it really hard. Now with both those fixed + 60 FPS and the game couldn't be any more responsive -- it literally feels pretty good to play. Ignoring movement jankiness, the game (as it is) is fine.

Everything else about it, though... such as how many shoot arenas there are vs puzzles vs platforming/climbing... yeah, not so well balanced. That said, the pacing of the game (in terms of story alone) is still really great. How it begins to when you arrive to the fortress and then from there it just keeps bringing you along for the ride. And there's nothing wrong with the story at all, either (unless you really hate the end stuff).

Oh and the only reason to like the "final boss" of this game is the atmosphere -- the rain, the lighting, etc. All that is great! It's just too bad it's surrounding a shitty "final boss" lol.

For as much flak it gets for its imbalance in gameplay, UC1 is still pretty great in its own way and even better now with what they improved. I can see myself replaying it a couple more times again now.

Onto UC2 Hard.

I'm going to start on crushing given I played the originals on hard and recently finished the Last of Us on Grounded mode. Imagine I can swing it!

Plus running at 60 FPS should make them a lot easier to play.

UC 1 Help please.

This temple with the roman numerals is driving me insane. I'm on the V portion and Elena wants me to open the gate but I'm fucking lost, every choice I make ends in death.

I'm getting pissed off lol.

antitrop

UC 1 Help please.

This temple with the roman numerals is driving me insane. I'm on the V portion and Elena wants me to open the gate but I'm fucking lost, every choice I make ends in death.

I'm getting pissed off lol.

My absolute least favorite part of the game, here's a video walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htl4fPkqLTA

There was a goddamn cornerstone to my right...I've been running around in circles for nothing smh.
One of the best improvements 2 made was clearly marking pathways with yellow. Uncharted 1's platforming had too much jumping at walls like an idiot to figure out which parts you can climb on and a lot of dying.

DSmalls84

Finished Drake's Fortune for the first time since 2007. It does feel a little dated but I still really enjoyed the characters and dialogue. Totally forgot how frustrating some of the later sections of the game are. Now on to Uncharted 2.

UC2 on my monitor looks better than most modern PC games running on my 780. It's crazy beautiful. A lot of that probably comes down to the immaculate art direction, maybe there's some dated technical aspects, but damned if I notice them.

I feel like it has to do with diminishing returns, too... there weren't any PS2 remasters for PS3 that I would mistake for legit PS3 games, they were always just higher resolution games from a previous gen, but if TLOU or UC2/3 were released today in their PS4 forms, they'd look current gen to me.

My absolute least favorite part of the game, here's a video walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htl4fPkqLTA

One of the best improvements 2 made was clearly marking pathways with yellow. Uncharted 1's platforming had too much jumping at walls like an idiot to figure out which parts you can climb on and a lot of dying.
Glad to hear this. I played like a third of Uncharted 1 back when it came out but it never grabbed me. I'm revisiting it in this collection and this is one of my two biggest complaints with the game.

Stuck at chapter 9 in Uncharted 1. Died over 100 times already and playing on Crushing. Granted I'm not using the PM-9mm or the AK-47 anymore as I got the trophies for both, so I'm just making life harder for myself to be honest. Still enjoying it but my god is it hard. I have no idea how I finished it on Crushing 5 years ago.

Breezing through Uncharted 3 and Uncharted 2 on the other hand. Chapter 11 in both and died less than 30 times combined on Crushing. Definitely enjoying both more due to being less frustrated.

Best wishes.

robotrock

Banned
Apparently 82% done with Drake's Fortune after 4 hours and 25 minutes of gameplay, according to the game's statistics counter. Is that accurate?

Oneself

Can we still change for an easier difficulty at anytime?

I wanna start at the hardest but don't want to get stuck in one place for too long.

antitrop

Apparently 82% done with Drake's Fortune after 4 hours and 25 minutes of gameplay, according to the game's statistics counter. Is that accurate?
Yeah, in-game counter was at exactly 7 hours after I finished on Hard, with a bit of putting down the controller to read Twitter and GAF, etc. I think it might not count cutscenes, because it was really more like 9 hours out of my day, yesterday.

Bowdz

I have to state the obvious here: 60fps makes SUCH a big difference. It seriously improves the game to such a crazy degree. Add in the improved textures and it is such a great update to the package. I'm about to finish my U1 Crushing playthrough and I've loved every minute of it thus far (despite having played these games some 5+ times each).

Gusto

Well, half way done with Uncharted 1 and all of a sudden, the game crashed and I lost everything. FACK!!!! c'mon BluePoint!

Top Bottom