• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

I only played up to Chapter 5 from Uncharted 1 and decided to stop. The game looks nice in 60fps, but game feels quite dated. I decided to play Uncharted 2 instead and the experience is better, but still something feels off.

Here's my isssue with hitboxes regarding headshots (with UC1 anyways). It seems it's inconsistent. Sometimes, I miss a headshot and the hitboxes seem really precise. And other times, I get a headshot despite not lining it up entirely properly.

So my conclusion is essentially that the actual hitboxes themselves are pretty precise in relation to the model but the combination of a large reticule, inaccurate gunshots within the reticule (or after firing one bullet) and enemy movement can sometimes create moments of frustration. Especially since the enemies side-step soooo fast.

because of the angle of aiming in U1, it's easy to stay behind a wall and shoot them. Bullets go where the crosshair is, no matter if there is a big wall in the way lol

Been a while since I played a game with an audio config this extensive.

Dynamic Range - Maximum

Well done.

When I first played TLoU and saw the dynamic range options, my first thought was "Awesome!", followed by "Why doesn't every game have this?"

When I was reading up on improvements made in TLoUR and saw the speaker angle adjustment option, the same thing happened again.

dealer-

I've actually analysed and experimented with the whole headshots thing a bit to gauge how detection works (hence why my hit percentage is quite low right now), and I think the reason a lot of people think this, is because of a combination of things which I feel are actually good gameplay additions.

Firstly, if the first bullet, or first few bullets in a burst don't hit the head of an enemy, you have considerably less chance getting one after, simply because there is a fair amount of recoil and spread to weapons. Even if you shoot in bursts, there seems to be an element of timing involved, a specific pause, before getting the aim back to a pre-recoil state. Because of that, random spray and pray, or gung ho aiming is definitely far less effective than a methodical and patient approach.

Enemies also seem to have lots of movement and animations that try to prevent headshots, Eg, quick dashes left and right, shooting whilst running or moving, ducking and diving, flicking their heads out the way etc.

I don't think it's that. I've had a few times where someone is sniping me in the distance and I've made the headshot 3/4 times and it just doesn't regsiter. They are not ducking or weaving, they are just standing still.

The gunplay in 3 just doesn't feel satisfying at all compared to 1 and especially 2, add to the fact that the enemy ai is just plain dumb.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Jesus these games did not age well.
I disagree,while they not U4 level of graphics just look at my posts in the Screenshot thread.
The games have aged, but they're damn good for their age.

nib95

Banned
I don't think it's that. I've had a few times where someone is sniping me in the distance and I've made the headshot 3/4 times and it just doesn't regsiter. They are not ducking or weaving, they are just standing still.

The gunplay in 3 just doesn't feel satisfying at all compared to 1 and especially 2, add to the fact that the enemy ai is just plain dumb.

Do you have a video or clip of the incident? Would be interesting to analyse.

dealer-

Do you have a video or clip of the incident? Would be interesting to analyse.

It was during the
Syria
level, trying to take out the snipers in the castle. I haven't got any footage, I'd have to run through that level again. Maybe hit detection is not as great in this game or some enemies require more than one headshot to take down.

Revven

It was during the
Syria
level, trying to take out the snipers in the castle. I haven't got any footage, I'd have to run through that level again. Maybe hit detection is not as great in this game or some enemies require more than one headshot to take down.

That part in particular isn't a good spot to be judging the shooting because the enemies are purposefully far away so your shots may still not line up correctly even if you think they are. I think for there, it's not very easy to get headshots to my recollection despite the fact the snipers aren't moving much. I don't really remember getting headshots much in all the times I played UC3 for that section, even on the time I played it on Crushing. Just two body shots and go.

dealer-

That part in particular isn't a good spot to be judging the shooting because the enemies are purposefully far away so your shots may still not line up correctly even if you think they are. I think for there, it's not very easy to get headshots to my recollection despite the fact the snipers aren't moving much. I don't really remember getting headshots much in all the times I played UC3 for that section, even on the time I played it on Crushing. Just two body shots and go.

Yeah, maybe its just that level or like nib said there are subtle changes to the gunplay here but I know those shots would have registered in UC2. Playing these back to back just highlights the differences more.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting more and more pissed off at UC2, it's so overtunned I can't believe it. I'm playing on normal but it feels like I'm playing on the hardest difficulty. I'm near the end and I must have died 10 times in a row on the same bit and I'm just not having any fun at all. I don't want to play on easy as I always play on normal in every game so it's not total faceroll but not frustrating but my God have they failed in this regard. I can't remember dying this much in any game on normal ever.

Revven

I'm getting more and more pissed off at UC2, it's so overtunned I can't believe it. I'm playing on normal but it feels like I'm playing on the hardest difficulty. I'm near the end and I must have died 10 times in a row on the same bit and I'm just not having any fun at all. I don't want to play on easy as I always play on normal in every game so it's not total faceroll but not frustrating but my God have they failed in this regard. I can't remember dying this much in any game on normal ever.

End game of UC2 is hard, it's not abnormal that you're having difficulty. When you replay it and know things better it becomes easier (it also helps if you find power weapons). I remember dying just as much on my first time through Normal at the end of UC2.

dralla

End game of UC2 is hard, it's not abnormal that you're having difficulty. When you replay it and know things better it becomes easier (it also helps if you find power weapons). I remember dying just as much on my first time through Normal at the end of UC2.

Crossbow is your friend.

It's weird reading the back and forth about how these games have aged. I missed out on playing UC1-UC3 (former Xbox 360 guy), and UC1 is stunning. I'm up to chapter 4, but I'm in awe of how gorgeous this game looks. I've heard years of hype for UC2, so I'm definitely looking forward to it, but yeah, graphically, I've been blown away. It's pretty.

Mechanically, too, I thought that the game would be more dated. Some of the shooting is a little wonky. It would be nice if the game had snap to lock when targeting enemies, or if Drake could blind fire from cover. Also, some of the canned enemy animations are strange after getting shot (jumping forward when getting shot, etc), but mostly, I'm impressed by the lack of hand-holding. It feels more like Tomb Raider than the modern Tomb Raider games, and I'm digging it.

But it's those cutscenes and the in-game dialogue that really impresses me. The writing is fantastic. Within 5 minutes of beginning the first campaign, you're already into the characters, their personalities, their motivations, and their dynamics. It's wonderful, and one of the very few games that has ever made me laugh out loud. Haven't enjoyed a game's writing this much since The Walking Dead: Season One & Season Two.

Looking forward to the rest of the series, but as a newbie, this is a revelation. Yes, I've played The Last of Us (and loved it), but its worth remarking how well this first game holds up.

Revven

It's weird reading the back and forth about how these games have aged. I missed out on playing UC1-UC3 (former Xbox 360 guy), and UC1 is stunning. I'm up to chapter 4, but I'm in awe of how gorgeous this game looks. I've heard years of hype for UC2, so I'm definitely looking forward to it, but yeah, graphically, I've been blown away. It's pretty.

Mechanically, too, I thought that the game would be more dated. Some of the shooting is a little wonky. It would be nice if the game had snap to lock when targeting enemies, or if Drake could blind fire from cover.

You can blindfire from cover, press your shoot button when you're not aiming and while you're in cover Drake will blindfire -- a greyed out reticle will show up to also show you the spread and general area of where Drake shoots. Move the camera to move the reticle. Same thing for hipfire except you don't need cover to do it, just press the shoot button without aiming and Drake will hipfire (which is similar in how it works to when you're behind cover and you're blindfiring).

Loudninja

Mechanically, too, I thought that the game would be more dated. Some of the shooting is a little wonky. It would be nice if the game had snap to lock when targeting enemies, or if Drake could blind fire from cover. Also, some of the canned enemy animations are strange after getting shot (jumping forward when getting shot, etc), but mostly, I'm impressed by the lack of hand-holding. It feels more like Tomb Raider than the modern Tomb Raider games, and I'm digging it.

But it's those cutscenes and the in-game dialogue that really impresses me. The writing is fantastic. Within 5 minutes of beginning the first campaign, you're already into the characters, their personalities, their motivations, and their dynamics. It's wonderful, and one of the very few games that has ever made me laugh out loud. Haven't enjoyed a game's writing this much since The Walking Dead: Season One & Season Two.

Looking forward to the rest of the series, but as a newbie, this is a revelation. Yes, I've played The Last of Us (and loved it), but its worth remarking how well this first game holds up.
You can do that on the Explorer mode :p

Also you can blind fire from cover.

emrober5

On chapter 10 in Uncharted 1. It's the only one I've never played and I am enjoying it just as much as the others. Can't believe I skipped it back in the day. The Jet ski section wasn't THAT bad.

Game looks fantastic too.

You can blindfire from cover, press your shoot button when you're not aiming and while you're in cover Drake will blindfire -- a greyed out reticle will show up to also show you the spread and general area of where Drake shoots. Move the camera to move the reticle. Same thing for hipfire except you don't need cover to do it, just press the shoot button without aiming and Drake will hipfire (which is similar in how it works to when you're behind cover and you're blindfiring).

You can do that on the Explorer mode :p

Also you can blind fire from cover.

Thanks! Far too much CoD and Gears of War to unlearn.

Oh wow, the jungle leading up to the monestary in drakes fortune has some really awesome oppressive atmosphere. I hope there's an area like that in uncharted 4 because I don't think there was in 2 or 3.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Feels weird to be in the minority who actually likes U1 more after this remaster... The visual update did wonders for the game and loved going through it again. Nearly done with U3 on Crushing now and I don't see 1 as a 'relic', especially not after the remaster. I'd say the jetski and some of the climbing sections are the worst part about U1, but aside from that it's still great fun. Still think U1 remastered is the biggest revelation in the collection.

I played U3 at launch and had to suffer its aiming problems, but luckily that's gone here. I'm definitely enjoying this game more than when it first came out, the
ship graveyard
is still an amazing encounter. I always thought 2 > 3 but tbh I'm not that sure anymore. Some of the setpieces and levels in U3 aged pretty damn well. Forgot how awesome the
burning building and sinking cruiseship
were.

Loudninja

Feels weird to be in the minority who actually likes U1 more after this remaster... The visual update did wonders for the game and loved going through it again. Nearly done with U3 on Crushing now and I don't see 1 as a 'relic', especially not after the remaster. I'd say the jetski and some of the climbing sections are the worst part about U1, but aside from that it's still great fun.

I played U3 at launch and had to suffer its aiming problems, but luckily that's gone here. I'm definitely enjoying this game more than when it first came out, the
ship graveyard
is still an amazing encounter. I always thought 2 > 3 but tbh I'm not that sure anymore. Some of the setpieces and levels in U3 aged pretty damn well.
I love it more to I always though it was fantastic though.

Majin Boo

Playing through U3 on Brutal right now and the climbing sections in the shipyard where enemies shoot at Drake from above are insanely annoying. You have a splitsecond to aim and shoot before you're dead, and the weird hitdetection and the fact that enemies show no reaction when being hit make it even worse...

TyrantII

Same issue here...anyone know??

Figured it out, Somehow the last FW update changed my audio settings,

Had to switch the primary audio out to optical and make sure it was bitstreaming dolby 5.1 instead of PCM.

Once set the mixamp was working and game showed 5.1.

Late Flag

Feels weird to be in the minority who actually likes U1 more after this remaster... The visual update did wonders for the game and loved going through it again. Nearly done with U3 on Crushing now and I don't see 1 as a 'relic', especially not after the remaster. I'd say the jetski and some of the climbing sections are the worst part about U1, but aside from that it's still great fun. Still think U1 remastered is the biggest revelation in the collection.

I'm happy to see somebody say this. I've always loved U1, and never saw it as the weak link in the franchise that some do. Not saying it's better than U2 or U3, just that it's very enjoyable game all on its own.

One thing I particularly like about U1 that it really does do better than the other two, is how it builds a better sense of place. Because you revisit parts of the island a couple of times, it feels like the game really takes place in an actual, real-world location. I know they just did that to reuse resources and that it probably wasn't an intentional design choice, but I think it works great, much like how you pass through the village several times in RE4.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Even though UC2 is a far, far better game I have probably enjoyed it less overall because of the ridiculous difficulty spikes. If you remove fun from the equation it's a 9/10 but player enjoyment is pretty important when scoring a game so it's probably an 8/10 just like UC1. Without spoiling it, does UC3 have the same "problem"?

Even though UC2 is a far, far better game I have probably enjoyed it less overall because of the ridiculous difficulty spikes. If you remove fun from the equation it's a 9/10 but player enjoyment is pretty important when scoring a game so it's probably an 8/10 just like UC1. Without spoiling it, does UC3 have the same "problem"?

If I remember correctly not so much, I can't remember anything that bad from 3 difficulty wise, but I could be wrong.

I finished UC1 earlier and it is much better than it is given credit for. The last section of the game/boss thing is completely awful but overall I really enjoyed it - it was the one I hadn't played.

U2/U3 next.

quesalupa

Fourth time playing UC1. Just rushed through all the areas not bothering to stock up on ammo or treasures. Was constantly low on supplies and having to improvise. I think this was my favorite playthrough yet, especially with the retooled mechanics. I really like UC1 as a straight-forward shooter, it's a lot different from the other two, but if I'm in the mood to shoot and blow shit up I'm gonna pop in the first game. The graphics update is also incredible.

Quick

Banned
Played a little bit of Drake's Fortune yesterday, and the game definitely shows its age, but not necessarily in a bad way.

It still holds up pretty well, as a game from 2007 and from early into last-gen's cycle. There's small things like seeing the water texture in the opening (how the texture is a copy/paste as you look further into the distance) or this "plastic" look on a lot of the textures (especially leaves in the forest) remind you that, again, it's a game from 2007.

Otherwise, character models and everything else look great. It's been a while since I last checked out Drake's Fortune, and I'm noticing even more now the effort Naughty Dog put in to make sure the characters express themselves well via facial expressions, dialogue, and body language.

I didn't get to explore more in depth, but do the behind-the-scenes content from each game make it into the collection at all? Those were great.

Revven

I didn't get to explore more in depth, but do the behind-the-scenes content from each game make it into the collection at all? Those were great.

Not any of the videos because the collection is near its limit (46 GB out of a 50 GB disc) but the concept art galleries and photo gallery of the ND studio are there.

I'm playing the series for the first time right now.I'm not that far into the first game but man I'm enjoying it a lot. It already exceeds my expectations.

Finished U3 ch.6, i think puzzles in U3 is better than U1 and U2 but enemies AI are fucking dumb. How can they go from amazing U2 AI to bad U3 AI?

This is the trap Naughty Dog is stuck in. They add a challenge to make their games competitive and comparative to other game games but there are a few who say this takes away from the "fun". And when folks play on easier settings, Uncharted becomes "it's only about the set pieces, there's no gameplay".

I enjoy the challenge having platinumed them all. It's that difficulty and its MP (obviously not available here) that makes Uncharted's gameplay shine but unfortunately it is missed by those who either don't enjoy it or view UC as nothing but a spectacle.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I played UC1 one so many times, this is like riding a bike. The visual upgrades are super impressive.

hamchan

Spikes? I dunno man, seems like a pretty good upwards curve of difficulty for me.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Spikes? I dunno man, seems like a pretty good upwards curve of difficulty for me.

Whatever you want to call it, it becomes too frustrating later on. If I wanted to get angry at a video game I'd play on crushing, not normal. Either way I just killed the last boss so it's done.

Top Bottom