• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Happened to me on ps3. I think i restarted the game.

I've restarted the checkpoint, so didn't lose much time, it's a shame they didn't fix it if it was a problem on PS3 as well.

ukas

I love the lighting.

CRFqZ8tVAAQPaNV.png:large

Raptomex

I started and beat the first game yesterday. Still my least favorite in the series. However, it seems to feel and play better than it did on PS3 and I beat the original 3 last year. I remember the shooting/aiming feeling "off" but I breezed right through in this version with little issue.

I started and beat the first game yesterday. Still my least favorite in the series. However, it seems to feel and play better than it did on PS3 and I beat the original 3 last year. I remember the shooting/aiming feeling "off" but I breezed right through in this version with little issue.

They improved the things you mentioned

Vitor711

When people mention the ship graveyard, they're talking about the level design independently, it was one of the best (if not the best) designed levels last gen in a shooter, & it was probably the catalyst for Uncharted 4's apparent inspiration from that level.

I played many shooters last gen, but I don't remember a level as well designed as that. If you played that level at launch before they fixed the aiming, you probably would be pretty jaded towards it.

You're both right - the ship graveyard is a wonderful, freeform level that finally married both platforming and shooting in an interesting way.

It's just a shame that the combat is NOT balanced at all to compensate. I love UC3, but those armoured shotgun guys are a chore and the only really valid complaint of bullet-sponge enemies that I can lay at the game. I'd rather fight 10 UC2 blue dudes than 1 of these. Replaying the game on hard, it's maddening.

Doesn't help that certain interactions in that level are incredibly sluggish. In order to dive or aim while hanging, you have to have completed the first diving/aiming animation completely. Try it - you'll find yourself hammering those button and nothing happens. When split second reactions are needed to survive on hard mode, that's not acceptable.

Playing UC1 i forgot how much of a adventure spirit elena had .
Still making my way slowly thru UC1 might not be able to go back to it for a while since DQH coming out tonight .

Vitor711

With curvier environment geometry, Uncharted 3 could easily pass as a AAA current-gen game. As it is, it's much more visually pleasing than most 30fps current-gen titles.

Only if you add more shadowing to UC3 does it look current-gen. The textures/geometry work are generally top notch but the lightning is what really gives the game away. No real AO/shadows around drake or enemies makes them stand out too much.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm embarrassed to ask as I'm nearly done with the collection but what does the blue face mean when you loot some guns?

Vitor711

They're no more bullet sponge enemies (if anything, they take less hits then they did in the originals).

To be fair, the armoured shotgunners in UC3 are bullet sponges. I never understood that complaint for UC1 or 2 (even with the blue dudes), but f*ck those guys in UC3. I can't even do the whole UC2 thing of 'shoot their helmets off, then melee them' for a quick kill. They take FOREVER to kill on hard and you're basically forced to wipe out all other enemies before tackling them head on lest you get shot while fist fighting.

Not fun. At all.

Revven

I'm embarrassed to ask as I'm nearly done with the collection but what does the blue face mean when you loot some guns?

It means you stealth killed the guy and sometimes depending on who you stealthed they drop something as a reward for doing it. Such as a grenade or a weapon they weren't carrying on their hand or it will guarantee you get whatever weapon they were carrying (such as a shotgun) or just more ammo.

Is that brutal hand to hand combo in UC1 even possible? I swear it never registers my triangle button.

You have to press each button as the punch/kick connects.

Square to start > Triangle when first hit lands > Square when second hit lands.

The timing is tricky to get right and it did feel more difficult to pull off than I remember.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is that brutal hand to hand combo in UC1 even possible? I swear it never registers my triangle button.

Yea timing for the brutal combo is dogshit. You are too slow if pressing with the animations, and succcess has meant dialing it in long before Drake has barely thrown punch 1 for it to register. It's just terrible and lacks any real connective feel to what is occurring on screen.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I really love the weapons in 3, definitely my favourite selection throughout the series. I wish you could have a melee weapon though, a cricket bat would have been perfect!

Revven

I really love the weapons in 3, definitely my favourite selection throughout the series. I wish you could have a melee weapon though, a cricket bat would have been perfect!

One of my favorite additions was the burst pistol, it's pretty freaking cool and feels satisfying to use.

Alo0oy

Banned
You're both right - the ship graveyard is a wonderful, freeform level that finally married both platforming and shooting in an interesting way.

It's just a shame that the combat is NOT balanced at all to compensate. I love UC3, but those armoured shotgun guys are a chore and the only really valid complaint of bullet-sponge enemies that I can lay at the game. I'd rather fight 10 UC2 blue dudes than 1 of these. Replaying the game on hard, it's maddening.

Doesn't help that certain interactions in that level are incredibly sluggish. In order to dive or aim while hanging, you have to have completed the first diving/aiming animation completely. Try it - you'll find yourself hammering those button and nothing happens. When split second reactions are needed to survive on hard mode, that's not acceptable.

I haven't started UC3 yet & my memory is a little fuzzy, but you're probably right, it might not hold up in higher difficulties due to the terrible balancing, but that's the case with all ND games, they don't balance the higher difficulties very well unfortunately, you can't play their games in higher difficulties while still using their full feature-sets, Uncharted games only work as cover shooters on crushing, while TLOU is basically a stealth game on Survivor/Grounded.

I hope they figure it out in Uncharted 4, but I'm having a hard time thinking of an extremely difficult mode that still gives you enough health to run & gun, use melee, or traverse while in combat.

This remaster deserves a newcomers thread like the one Bloodborne has.
Wondering how someone playing these games for the first time in 2015 feels about them, specially Uncharted 2 and 3.

One thing I love about Uncharted that ND don't make weapon upgrade or skills unlock into it. Thanks to that i don't fell any weapons overpowered like some games *cough* *cough* bows.

kyser73

Just finished DF (on normal because I'm a pussy n0ob) for the first time ever! Fantastic end section - the last few chapters really capture the spirit of the movies the game is apeing.

My complaints
Enemy waves. Gets a bit tedious in places.
Controls. Might just be me, but on numerous occasions when aiming from cover Drake would stop loving, button input would stop etc. there were also a few times when Drake take a few seconds to start moving, or just run around in a circle. Very frustrating.

Huge fun tho. Tomorrow night I start Among Thieves :)

foxbeldin

Just finished DF (on normal because I'm a pussy n0ob) for the first time ever! Fantastic end section - the last few chapters really capture the spirit of the movies the game is apeing.

My complaints
Controls. Might just be me, but on numerous occasions when aiming from cover Drake would stop loving, button input would stop etc. there were also a few times when Drake take a few seconds to start moving, or just run around in a circle. Very frustrating.

Sounds like a bluetooth/controler issue to me.

One thing I love about Uncharted that ND don't make weapon upgrade or skills unlock into it. Thanks to that i don't fell any weapons overpowered like some games *cough* *cough* bows.
Well at least in the first title there definitely was a progression though. The further you get into the game the better/more powerful the weapons are. The pistol at the beginning vs a deagle for example.

Working my way through the 1st Uncharted and really digging it, Bluepoint has really done some fantastic work with the remaster.

I gotta say tho that Chapter 12 is probably my least favorite level that Naughty Dog has ever done. God damn that was frustrating, and I'm only on Normal difficulty. I can't even imagine that segment on Crushing.

Bennehmaru

Neo Member
I did crushing twice on the original PS3 version. Both times I found chapters 4&5 to be the peak of the difficulty, it's still tough later on but never as bad as those two chapters.

It's the cistern room on crushing that kicked my ass, I eventually cheesed it and spawned the encounter before going in to the room which made it much easier.

This remaster deserves a newcomers thread like the one Bloodborne has.
Wondering how someone playing these games for the first time in 2015 feels about them, specially Uncharted 2 and 3.
I posted my thoughts over uncharted 1 as a newbie. I feel the game gets more flack than it deserves from people that played the titles as they came out because I assume that uc2 and uc3 just blow it out of the water (currently going through uc2). But while comparing games in a franchise is a given some in here have said it's unplayable or that it hasn't aged well and as someone who has gone back to games that actually haven't Aged well (ps1/n64 era shooters) it's pretty silly. I thought the game was fine but it did have issues. Gave it like a B in rating but I do specify that I wouldn't have bought it for more than 15 or 20 bucks by itself.

psychotron

My complaints

Drakes a cold man. No time for loving.

iFirez

My weekend was purely Uncharted filled this week.
Beat Uncharted 1 and started some of 2 on Saturday.
Uncharted 2 took me the rest of my waking hours of Saturday - I forgot how long it was (26 chapters) but man was it a blast to go back to that game.

I have only played these games on their original release dates so replaying them is fresh but also nostalgic.

I also have to admit - I never finished 3 originally on PS3. I got up to
the part where Drake goes to another country and Elena is there
but that was it. So a lot of Uncharted 3 will feel quite new to me, very excited to experience it in this collection.

My complaints

I agree with what you say about UC1.When you start UC2 though you feel the upgrades immediately. Huge improvements to controls and movement. I beat UC2 by basically playing all day yesterday. Damn that was a good game. I only got past the
first kid drake stuff
in UC3 but I am pumped to play it tonight.

Osahi

Started U2 yesterday after completing U1 last week. I remember far less of this game then of U1, so it is a blast to relive the adventure. It struck me how much further advanced this game is, not only in technical terms, but also in game, combat and level design. The leap from 1 to 2 was way bigger then I remember. And I'm not talking about the obvious set pieces, but on the first few chapters and how they are paced and designed.

Roussow

Finished Uncharted 2, as amazing as ever. Now I'm on to Uncharted 3, and I'm shocked how much I'm enjoying it so far, I might even like it more than 2, it's fantastic -- and it looks incredible, it could be released as a PS4 title and it wouldn't look that dated at all.

I'll just quote a couple of my photomode shots from the screenshot thread -- these two blew me away.

reKon

Banned
Finished Uncharted 2, as amazing as ever. Now I'm on to Uncharted 3, and I'm shocked how much I'm enjoying it so far, I might even like it more than 2, it's fantastic -- and it looks incredible, it could be released as a PS4 title and it wouldn't look that dated at all.

I'll just quote a couple of my photomode shots from the screenshot thread -- these two blew me away.

wow...

psychotron

Besides the clipping going on with the hand/gun, those are amazing.

TyrantII

Every single fucking enemy is a fucking bullet sponge, now I remember why I hate playing these fucking games.

Jesus fucking christ. Its so annoying and frustrating.

Every single enemy is a 1-2 (Headshot) kill.

Get better noob?

Seriously though, if you want to run and gun, just play on easy. Hard and above requires great aim and patience.

Roussow

Besides the clipping going on with the hand/gun, those are amazing.

How did you take the second screen? Aiming in photomode.

Because of not being able to pull up photomode while aiming, you have to hit L2 then down on the d-pad super quickly to be able to get Drake to aim his gun in photomode, so the animation is actually in the process of dropping the gun to his side, so clipping is quite acceptable in that context, I do really wish the photomode was less restrictive, would make getting shots like these a touch easier.

Guymelef

How did you take the second screen? Aiming in photomode.

Hmmm, so much to say, lmao. First, you remember "hating playing these games." Why the fuck would you play the remasters thinking it would be some totally different experience?

Lastly.. and I would be one of the last people on the planet to say this, but "get good?" They're no more bullet sponge enemies (if anything, they take less hits then they did in the originals). Deal with it. The AI in all 3 of these games is laughable anyways, not hard at all to kill these idiots. Practice and get better. Otherwise, don't sit here and bitch about a game that you hated in the past at original release. Not sure why the hell you thought it was gonna be much different on a remaster that mostly focused on increasing the graphics/framerates.

The first Uncharted is my least favourite. I don't actually hate the games, I enjoy them quite a bit, but the first ones shooting mechanics are just awful, which makes me hate the gameplay aspect.

I also wish that Uncharted was more adventure, and less action. But what can I do about it?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I also wish that Uncharted was more adventure, and less action. But what can I do about it?

I think U2 was the game that nailed the adventure aspect the most, especially in the 2nd half of the game. Locations like the village, caves, the monastery,
Shangrila
really gave off that vibe.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That Drake model is incredibly detailed. Have they significantly reworked the character models?
Textures and shading was re-done on Drake on UC1 but no polygonal detal has been changed as far as I could see (if you overlay the two images above in Photoshop you can see what I mean).
As far as I could see no touch ups were done on his mode in UC2 and 3. They were just crazy detailed character models all along

I think U2 was the game that nailed the adventure aspect the most, especially in the 2nd half of the game. Locations like the village, caves, the monastery,
Shangrila
really gave off that vibe.

I haven't played through the Uncharted games in awhile, so I don't really recall 2 all that well. I just started it this morning after beating 1.
Its already better than the first. Loved breaking into the museum.

Top Bottom