• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I haven't played through the Uncharted games in awhile, so I don't really recall 2 all that well. I just started it this morning after beating 1.
Its already better than the first. Loved breaking into the museum.
Heh, I remember when I played U2 for the first time all those years ago of being thrown off by having to start with a stealth mission.

This was especially because I played U1 like a fiend back in the day (it was my only PS3 game for a while when I first got one) and gotten so used to just up and wasting people.

RedAssedApe

Banned
don't like what they did with Elena in the remaster. looks like she's wearing makeup in the middle of a warzone. but i guess that's kind of the same complain people had with og uc3. does she look the same in the uc3 remaster?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Textures and shading was re-done on Drake on UC1 but no polygonal detal has been changed as far as I could see (if you overlay the two images above in Photoshop you can see what I mean).
As far as I could see no touch ups were done on his mode in UC2 and 3. They were just crazy detailed character models all along

I swear they changed Elena's brow and eyes in UC2.

Or they just gave her makeup

Alright, UC1 polished off and loved it.

Work done, football later so about 2 hours to play UC2. The hype is real. Hope you lot aren't lying...

Revven

I swear they changed Elena's brow and eyes in UC2.

Or they just gave her makeup

They just gave her makeup, she still has the same face she had before in UC2 but they added lipstick and eyeshadow. They also removed her glassy eyes like they did for everyone else in UC2, which does make a difference on how her eyes look. This is evidenced by the fact that in the one story trailer for the collection
you see the beat-up Elena at the monastery
all her makeup is gone and her face is the exact same as the original release of UC2.

However, she is still UC2 Elena just with... makeup. They did not adapt her UC3 head to UC2's body like they did with UC1 Drake. Had they tried to do that, they would have had to redo a ton of her facial animations due to how structurally different her face is in 3 (skinnier cheeks, the shape of her eyes, her lips, etc).

By just applying makeup to her face in UC2 they avoided all that extra work while at the same time trying to, more appropriately, represent Elena's shift/transition from a tomboy look to more effeminate. Honestly, they didn't need to do it at all but I suppose it's trying to make the pill easier to swallow for new people to the franchise.

At least UC4 Elena looks good.

Roussow

A bit off topic -- regarding Uncharted 4

How much do you guys think Uncharted 4 will change up the formula established through 2 & 3? Both games have their biggest set-pieces in the middle of the game
train & plane respectively
, followed by extended downtime
Escape from train (while wounded) followed by the quiet walk around the village, and the walk through the desert in 3
. With both games culminating in a trip through
a forgotten mystical city, Shambala & the desert city of 3 (Atlantis of the sands? I forget specifically the name)
. The marketing of U2 first showed the intro,
Drake waking up in the train
, and then 3 first showed the aftermath of the
plane crash, with Drake walking around the desert
. 4 was revealed with Drake presumably a little fucked up after waking up on the beach (of an island?), do we assume this follows on from a massive set-piece in the middle of the game? Or do we assume that ND are taking more than a few directions from The Last of Us? Mixing up the pre-established formula dramatically.

How much do you guys think Uncharted 4 will change up the formula established through 2 & 3? Both games have their biggest set-pieces in the middle of the game
Escape from train (while wounded) followed by the quiet walk around the village, and the walk through the desert in 3
a forgotten mystical city, Shambala & the desert city of 3 (Atlantis of the sands? I forget specifically the name)
. 4 was revealed with Drake presumably a little fucked up after waking up on the beach (of an island?), do we assume this follows on from a massive set-piece in the middle of the game? Or do we assume that ND are taking more than a few directions from The Last of Us? Mixing up the pre-established formula dramatically.
Interesting nugget to chew on.

I wonder what laid him out like that though.

zsynqx

I imagine they will mix it up quite a bit.

Elena is a really interesting character. In Drake's Fortune she's more interested in the thrill and fight more than Drake is. In Among Thieves she's chasing the thrill without Nate's involvement, and when they meet she's eager to show how she can handle herself in all these situations. Starting with Drake's Deception all of a sudden she's over it and annoyed that Nate can't let it go, but of course still willing to help. And from the one scene we've seen of her in A Thieves End, well yeah somebody is in trouble.

. 4 was revealed with Drake presumably a little ***** up after waking up on the beach (of an island?), do we assume this follows on from a massive set-piece in the middle of the game? Or do we assume that ND are taking more than a few directions from The Last of Us? Mixing up the pre-established formula dramatically.

Good points. I would imagine with Druckmann at the helm its all misdirection at this point and he is going to turn a lot of things on its head.

Reebot

I think U2 was the game that nailed the adventure aspect the most, especially in the 2nd half of the game. Locations like the village, caves, the monastery,
Shangrila
really gave off that vibe.

1 definitely has to most classic "video-gamey" vibe, wave after wave of enemies in arenas. The focus of the game is on the shooting as its own reward, and the exploration is largely used as pacing or backdrop.

2 branched out and was more willing to experiment to its benefit. 3 almost nailed it, and has long stretches without combat, but its action scenes went so far back beyond 1's that they drag the package down.

So guys, I'm playing Uncharted 3 for the first time last night, and I get to the
desert village
. During the shootout I thought I noticed something weird with the aiming that wasn't there during the rest of the game. Is this because
Drake is physically strained from the crash and desert walking
, or am I just talking out of my ass? Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

reKon

Banned
Uncharted 4 is going to be the most dynamic and fun TPS out there once it's released, even with MGS V out. I know they've spent a lot of effort improving the melee and I hope that in the final game it is as meaty and impactful as it should be. I want to be able to engage in melee and use the environment in a contextual matter just like with the Last of Us, expect in more open and closed settings.

So hyped for this game and it's still so far away..

Illucio

Banned
I'm half way in Uncharted 2 and I love it but... The action is a little too much again, it's better paced but still I really just don't care for the gunplay and how it's used. I normally hate shooters but I try to be open to them and still I just can't find myself to enjoy it in both games I've played so far. Uncharted 2's heist was perfect, a dart gun. Makes me wish this just gave you thieving tools to work with and the fights we're little.
I feel like there is this whole stealth thing that is very under looked, but most people have fun with shooters so they choose that route while stealth is a ton of fun on it's own.

I hate the majority on this one, this is the same reason why I hated Bioshock: Infinite. SHOOTERS AREN'T FUN IN ADVENTURE GAMES. Unless your Insomniac Games.

I'm half way in Uncharted 2 and I love it but... The action is a little too much again, it's better paced but still I really just don't care for the gunplay and how it's used. I normally hate shooters but I try to be open to them and still I just can't find myself to enjoy it in both games I've played so far. Uncharted 2's heist was perfect, a dart gun. Makes me wish this just gave you thieving tools to work with and the fights we're little.
I feel like there is this whole stealth thing that is very under looked, but most people have fun with shooters so they choose that route while stealth is a ton of fun on it's own.

I hate the majority on this one, this is the same reason why I hated Bioshock: Infinite. SHOOTERS AREN'T FUN IN ADVENTURE GAMES. Unless your Insomniac Games.
Oddly enough I felt as though Uncharted 2 barely had any shooting. Especially after just coming off of Drake's Fortune.

TyrantII

Hard pressed to say if this is Bloodborne on PS4 or U1! They did a really good job with this Remaster!

CREw7QxUYAAPUUh.png:orig

Few more:

There's definitely native PS4 games out there that dont play as well nor look as good.

I did crushing twice on the original PS3 version. Both times I found chapters 4&5 to be the peak of the difficulty, it's still tough later on but never as bad as those two chapters.

I am very happy to hear that. A couple times I was super close to dropping the difficulty down to normal just so I could progress through the game because I was dying so much.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else think they really overused the melee combat in UC3? I like the improvements but damn, how many big guys can I kick in the balls before it gets old?

Renae

Is it worth playing the collection for a guy who played the three games 5 years ago ? I think the price is too high for a remaster but...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hard pressed to say if this is Bloodborne on PS4 or U1! They did a really good job with this Remaster!

Few more:

There's definitely native PS4 games out there that dont play as well nor look as good.

Spoilers dude...some people haven't played the games yet.

Vashetti

Banned
Is it me or is there something wrong with the gamma in this game?? I'm having trouble seeing in some parts as it's REALLY dark. My PS4 is on limited RGB and my TV I'm sure doesn't support FULL. I crank the brightness up and there's some scenes that's just impossible to make out. Specifically the later chapters where you're in the monastery and later. I literally feel like I'm running in the dark.

Calibrate your TV.

Loudninja

Is it worth playing the collection for a guy who played the three games 5 years ago ? I think the price is too high for a remaster but...
I think it is.

All the new stuff

Faster Frame Rate – All three games were pushed towards being locked at 60 FPS where possible.

Camera, Movement and Aim – In order to unify all three games, we adjusted the speed of camera movement, the stickiness of aim assist, and how the camera handled diagonal movement in Uncharted 3 and rebuilt the aim assist in Drake’s Fortune.

Controller Layout –We remapped buttons to ensure players did not have to switch between different control schemes with each game. We also tweaked some of the
controller layout decisions based on player’s familiarity with The Last of Us Remastered.

Uncharted Drake’s Fortune Grenade Gameplay – We’ve brought the grenade gameplay in Drake’s Fortune in line with the other two games. Players no longer need to equip a grenade to throw one and can also throw grenades in various ways while hanging or while in cover.

Trophy Tuning and Additions – We added in over 3,500 new trophy points and 3 new Platinum Trophies

Languages
– All three games now support 22 languages!

Music Enhancements – Music was upgraded across all three games to support surround sound systems for a better overall audio experience.
Three New Gameplay Modes:

Explorer – an “as easy as possible” mode to let new players enjoy exploring as they follow along with the narrative.

Brutal – a new “as hard as possible” mode called Brutal, an intense challenge, but not a torturous experience.

Speed Run – Players can practice with Chapter Select and set best times for each chapter or play continuous runs from a New Game to set their best overall scores.

Photo Mode – Players can now capture their favorite moments and most breathtaking scenes via Photo Mode.

Enhanced Statistics and Friends Leaderboards – We added support for tracking player statistics across the three games.

Enhanced Visuals – Visual improvements include enhancements to lighting and shadows, materials, shaders, and visual effects. The models and textures are improved and we’ve added ambient occlusion and motion blur where such rendering features weren’t originally supported.

Better Movies
– All of the movies were re-rendered to include all the visual improvements made to the games themselves, such as better lighting, improved models and textures – and to display at 1080p, 60 FPS.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...nathan-drake-collection-now-available-on-ps4/

RedAssedApe

Banned

beat uc1 over the weekend and played paryed part of uc2. can't stop playing...uc2 in particular has held up really well.

Does anyone else think they really overused the melee combat in UC3? I like the improvements but damn, how many big guys can I kick in the balls before it gets old?

Uncharted 2 and 3 melee is counter productive. It's good in melee only fights, but doing it in a firefight is madness. You'll die being shot up while punching a guy for 10 minutes.

Uncharted 4 melee looks fine so far.

Don't think I've seen anyone mention it, but are the bonus videos in UC1's art gallery not in this version? I tried inputting one of the codes last night but didn't see anything come up.

-griffy-

Banned
After playing mgs5 I was sad that the stealth was so bad in uncharted 1 lol.

Uncharted 1 has like nonexistent stealth. Uncharted 2 actually had stealth mechanics, with visual cues as to what was happening, which immediately made it feel more natural. It actually worked really well if you paid attention. If you were undetected, you walked stealthily. When you approached an enemy Drake would crouch down. His posture would change to indicate he could execute a stealth kill. 3 just carried that on.

However it still wasn't robust obviously, it's not a stealth game at all. What you could do was stealth an encounter before you were inevitably spotted, and once you are spotted that was that and the shooting started. There are some encounters you can completely stealth if you are careful, but many that you can't avoid being spotted eventually.

With 4 they are taking some stuff from Last of Us, and greatly improving enemy behavior. They are giving you an actual crouch button I believe, and allowing enemies to break their patrol routes to investigate, you can get spotted and break line of sight, re-enter stealth, flank and hide, etc, all options supported by a more open level design. Should be good.

Elena is a really interesting character. In Drake's Fortune she's more interested in the thrill and fight more than Drake is. In Among Thieves she's chasing the thrill without Nate's involvement, and when they meet she's eager to show how she can handle herself in all these situations. Starting with Drake's Deception all of a sudden she's over it and annoyed that Nate can't let it go, but of course still willing to help. And from the one scene we've seen of her in A Thieves End, well yeah somebody is in trouble.

Drake definitely needs to ditch her and give chloe a call.

zsynqx

Uncharted 2 and 3 melee is counter productive. It's good in melee only fights, but doing it in a firefight is madness. You'll die being shot up while punching a guy for 10 minutes.

Uncharted 4 melee looks fine so far.

The last of us nailed Melee as it didn't lock you into the battle so much so you could escape mid fight.

With 4 they are taking some stuff from Last of Us, and greatly improving enemy behavior. They are giving you an actual crouch button I believe, and allowing enemies to break their patrol routes to investigate, you can get spotted and break line of sight, re-enter stealth, flank and hide, etc, all options supported by a more open level design. Should be good.

Yup, most exciting part about the game other than where they go with the story.

Uncharted 2 has held up extremely well. Looks better and plays better than the majority of games out nowadays.

While Uncharted 3 looks better, it definitely doesn't play as good. Something about Drake's movement and the enemy AI's movement and broken stealth just makes it feel almost B-grade title.

Uncharted 1 is still a torturous adventure on crushing but it still looks very good. Some of the encounter designs give me "oh not that part again..." deja vu, a la The Last of Us.

Best wishes.

Kvik

Uncharted 1 is still a torturous adventure on crushing but it still looks very good. Some of the encounter designs give me "oh not that part again..." deja vu, a la The Last of Us.

I dislike the part where (UC1)
we have to crank the generator to get it up and running
as much as (TLOU)
restarting the generator in the flooded hotel basement
, because in UC1
there's practically no shotgun shells there, and those monsters are bullet sponges
and in TLOU,
I always fumbled with the keycard when the bloater chased me.

deja vu indeed.

I dislike the part where (UC1)
we have to crank the generator to get it up and running
as much as (TLOU)
restarting the generator in the flooded hotel basement
, because in UC1
there's practically no shotgun shells there, and those monsters are bullet sponges
and in TLOU,
I always fumbled with the keycard when the bloater chased me.

deja vu indeed.

That part is the easiest part of Crushing. Just run and gun spray. Literally that's all it takes.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Consider my Uncharted cherry popped, I've just finished #3. Overall I very much enjoyed the entire series, but there were things that did bug me so lets get them out of the way:

- I feel the cover system needs work, I often died when trying to get behind one piece of cover and instead the game put me out into the open for no apparent reason. I also feel like the enemies really soak bullets, especially in the first two games, it wasn't much of an issue in the third apart from some heavily armoured units but that makes sense.

- Another thing was the hit registry, I don't know what's up with it but bullets just didn't register sometimes, especially when an enemy was behind a wall with their head poking above it, no matter how dead on, or how close I was to them the headshot just wouldn't register.

- The biggest issue I had was the difficulty, now I know you guys are all professionals who can beat Crushing with one hand while making a sandwich but that's not me. I always like to play games on normal as this usually offers a little bit of a challenge so it doesn't get boring without getting frustrating but that's not what I experienced in any of the Uncharted games, especially the last two. I feel the games are too easy in the start but too hard towards the end, I can't remember ever dying so much in any game while playing on normal difficulty.

- Melee was heavily overused in UC3, and it felt underwhelming in all of the games, although I did think UC3 was an improvement.

- I didn't feel any attachment to any of the characters, where are my feels? Comparing this to The Last of Us which choked me up a few times and made me generally care for the characters on screen, Uncharted just didn't even come close to this level of story telling.

Now, that's what I didn't like, but here's what I did:

- Fantastic visuals and art style, even UC1 looks great after all these years but UC3 honestly looks better than a lot of games released this year, all while running at 60fps most of the time.

- Amazing set pieces, honestly some of the most epic moments in gaming throughout the entire series.
My personal favourite was when the house was burning down, that shit left me speechless

- Gorgeous locations, the scenery was so beautiful and getting to climb all around it was really enjoyable, the way the camera pans out makes everything feel so grandiose.

- Great voice acting, I thoroughly enjoyed the performances of all the main characters. I didn't feel massively attached the characters but I can appreciate solid voice work. I feel with a better script perhaps they could have done something really special.

- Unrivalled parkour, as someone terrified of heights some of the scenes made me sweat.

Drake's Fortune: 8/10
Among Thieves: 8.5/10
Drake's Deception: 9/10

So about the "feels" with this series, spoilers for the end of Uncharted 2

Obviously playing the game now you've at least seen Uncharted 3 and Uncharted 4 videos (if not you've surely heard complaints about Elena's face in 3 vs 2)and know Elena is alive and kicking, but at the launch of Uncharted 2 it sure as hell looked like she died, and the scene following it up made it look like Nate was mourning her loss (though we find out he's really mourning the loss of Schaffer). I remember lots of people were a little shook during those 10 seconds.

Catdaddy

Decided to play UC2 first cause it’s been my favorite and was planning on playing right before they announced the Remaster, so put off playing. Loving the remaster and as fun as ever, still some of the jumping especially in the Nepal cave area is wonky, also remembering how frustrating some of the set pieces can me such as the tank in the village, of course, also considering that when I was playing the other night had a couple of drinks in me so I wasn’t at my best.

Top Bottom