• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Replicant

I'm just about to give up on DF's Brutal Mode. I've been in the "blue room" and damn this mode is fucking horrid. Two shots and you're dead. You just spend hours on single shootouts and get flanked by one lone enemy when you think you're safe. Stop this bullshit of turning good games into Dark Souls, please.

Do the glitch. Run all the way back to the courtyard, shoot the machine gun turret, wait until music gets tense then go back to the room but don't drop down. You'll see the enemies already spawning there. Now shoot them from the safety of your alcove above. Har har har.

I agree with the bolded though. It makes the game not fun even on Normal and I completed Crushing.

Awesome, UC1 on Crushing completed. Feels so good having finished that, every reward unlocked except for Eddy's gun, as well as five in game medals left. At this point I feel I should go straight to 2 now, but dammit I want those last few medals. Plus I've yet to try the speedrun mode they've included.

Shows just how much a better value this remastered version is over the original PS3 release.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to 2009/10 brah. Love watching the show even it isn't the greatest. It's just a feeling and it certainly had to do with it's Uncharted connection initially what with Claudia Black and Nolan North both having small roles along side Emily. Haven't watched the premiere(s) from last week yet but I can't wait.

BTW, I've enjoyed reading your impressions and reactions as you played through this trilogy for the first time. Curious if you'd consider getting 2 or 3 for multiplayer on PS3 or PS Now (if applicable).

I sold my PS3 so no, even if I hadn't I'd just wait until UC4 for the multiplayer.

I'm still on Chapter 4 (or 5) on UC 1 and got through the blue room finally without glitching. Crushing is hard but it's a lot easier now than it was on PS3 thanks to 60fps and 1080p.

I won't do this on Brutal, it's too tedious lol.

It still has its issues with the cover system but that's to be expected. I'm still sucking with the head shots, if it were a mouse and keyboard I'd be all over it.

Bluenoser

Blue room = room with water on the floor, with the elevated enemies, and no escape since you fall from a high ledge?

If so, that room almost caused me to throw my controller in rage. I didn't even know you could glitch it, so I did it legit, but it was probably the hardest fight in the game. When you're given shit cover, and enemies come from every angle, you better not miss.

Balphon

Blue room = room with water on the floor, with the elevated enemies, and no escape since you fall from a high ledge?

If so, that room almost caused me to throw my controller in rage. I didn't even know you could glitch it, so I did it legit, but it was probably the hardest fight in the game. When you're given shit cover, and enemies come from every angle, you better not miss.

If you stay at the low wall you drop down in front of two of the spawns after the first wave will literally fall down in the open in front of you and the two shotgun guys will drop in behind with enough time for you to steel fist melee them. As long as you take care of the one guy that tries to flank you it's pretty doable.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm just about to give up on DF's Brutal Mode. I've been in the "blue room" and damn this mode is fucking horrid. Two shots and you're dead. You just spend hours on single shootouts and get flanked by one lone enemy when you think you're safe. Stop this bullshit of turning good games into Dark Souls, please.

Dark Souls isn't anywhere near as hard as this or even crushing, lol.

Quick question, boyz.

The originals had an exploit where one could temporarily turn the difficulty down (e.g., from Crushing to Hard) without losing the corresponding trophy. Is that still true? If so, for which of the three games? I know it worked in the original Uncharted 2 (I used it in one particularly unfair part).

I'm thinking of picking this bad boy up and just playing it on Crushing right away, but not sure I want to risk getting super-frustrated.

(Though, perhaps losing the trophy is not the end of the world either.)

BHZ Mayor

In Uncharted 1, is running across the crumbling bridge or
away from the zombies
broken for anyone else. On the bridge, I had to jump forward for him to run properly and on the
zombies
, I had to keep shooting otherwise he just walked.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think the chateau is my favourite set piece in Uncharted 3. Although it may not have the scale of the ship/plane I feel it is the best designed and has a really nice flow to it. The person who designed it, Emilia Schatz, also designed the psx Uncharted 4 level so I am not surprised that level looks so rad!

It always felt like the most 'uncharted' part of the game. Just you and sully going through a nice looking area full of wise cracks, with a solid mix of combat/puzzle/traversal. UC3 breaks the UC trifecta so much later on and is purely combat/traversal heavy in the backend.

Stopping for the night at chapter 20 in U3.

What the hell happened?

1 was great fun but flawed

2 was mostly fantastic

So far with 3 its got the fun set prices and good old witty banter and story but the encounter design has gone to shit.
- brutes
I mean seriously what the fuck? Your big so you can take 100 bullets to the face just fine? Forcing melee while people shooting at you sometimes
- spawns enemies next to you in so many encounters.
- way to many shield and armour dudes
- tons of bullshit deaths

Pretty disappointed with 3 so far and I only got 3 chapters to go so I don't think my opinion will change much. Shipyard was pretty good though.

For me its pretty much

U2 >> U1 = GA >>>>>>>>>> U3

I had so many bullshit deaths when I first went through UC3. I'm glad we have recording now so that when I replay it I can catch that type of stuff as it happens, the spawns were so wonky.

Replicant

You're going to love the sinking ship cargo level in Uncharted 3. Enemies from every direction. "FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUCK" is like a musical rhyme at this point in the game for me.

Unforch, there's no glitch for that one. I did that fair and square in Crushing on PS3 with 100 x "FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUCK", of course.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
lol having NO idea about this being infamous this was my first rage quit area in hard. This is what I was thinking of when I said the game had shit cover.

The only other time I almost rage quit was in the final confrontation

This was SO MUCH WORSE than I remember it being. The opening fight in the final chapter is fucking nonsense.

Bluenoser

You're going to love the sinking ship cargo level in Uncharted 3. Enemies from every direction. "FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUCK" is like a musical rhyme at this point in the game for me.

Unforch, there's no glitch for that one. I did that fair and square in Crushing on PS3 with 100 x "FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUCK", of course.

So I'm thinking of the right room then when referring to "blue room"?

Looking forward to UC3 Crushing :) I only ever platinumed UC2 on PS3, so crushing on UC1 and UC3 will be all new to me. UC1 was definitely a challenge. Lots of WTF moments for sure.... so many times I would walk into a room, and hear "there he is!!" bang, dead. Didn't even have time to react...especially frustrating when exiting a cutscene, since I can't position Drake favorably behind cover in advance.

Bluenoser

At the last boss in UC1, normal.

Seriously?

LMAO, try it on Crushing. Just stay out of his laser sight. He will shoot several times, then have to reload. Use that opportunity to kill the other enemies. Once you clear them out, boss will run away. This keeps happening right until the end of the level. Don't even try to shoot the boss, he has infinite health.

He shoots 3 times and then pause, that's when you kill the other enemies.

Actually to be more specific since
he blind/cover shoots a couple of times and then he actually aims. If you are shooting at people while he's blind shooting huge chance you won't get shot but be in cover when he does the aimed as he 360 no scope headshots

Alo0oy

Banned
I just thought of a trick that might make Brutal playthroughs significantly easier.

Now I'm not sure if this will work or not, so this is purely theoretical, but the cheats menu should activate once you beat Brutal, no matter how many chapters you skip right? So use all chapter skip glitches available, unlock the cheats menu, then go back to the chapters you didn't finish with infinite ammo/one hit kill on.

The above is based on the assumption that the cheats menu unlocks even if you skip chapters, it is a very safe assumption but someone here that hasn't beaten the game yet needs to test it out on the easier difficulties.

Playing through the first. Forgot how jarring the 60 frames per second can be on an already sensitive iron sight. Had to turn down the sensitivity to get the headshots. Nice game, especially for 2007. You can see where it's dated, but dang, it's still good.

hamchan

Quick question, boyz.

The originals had an exploit where one could temporarily turn the difficulty down (e.g., from Crushing to Hard) without losing the corresponding trophy. Is that still true? If so, for which of the three games? I know it worked in the original Uncharted 2 (I used it in one particularly unfair part).

I'm thinking of picking this bad boy up and just playing it on Crushing right away, but not sure I want to risk getting super-frustrated.

(Though, perhaps losing the trophy is not the end of the world either.)

I don't think it works since they added "Without Changing the Difficulty" to all the difficulty trophies now.

Revven

That was always there in the originals too, though. The way to do it was a bit of an exploit and involved some trickery.

Anyone else know?

I've no idea, I didn't even know such an exploit existed for any of the games. The only exploit I knew of to cheat Crushing on UC2 was being able to activate cheats on it without having beaten it before.

Replicant

So I'm thinking of the right room then when referring to "blue room"?

Looking forward to UC3 Crushing :) I only ever platinumed UC2 on PS3, so crushing on UC1 and UC3 will be all new to me. UC1 was definitely a challenge. Lots of WTF moments for sure.... so many times I would walk into a room, and hear "there he is!!" bang, dead. Didn't even have time to react...especially frustrating when exiting a cutscene, since I can't position Drake favorably behind cover in advance.

Yes you did. Uncharted has many annoying encounters but none as universally frustrating as the blue room. I have a theory that the coders knew they fucked up that scenario and therefore, allow that glitch. They have ample times to patch that but they didn't and neither did Blue Point in this remaster. I believe they knew people are gonna be frustrated without that glitch on Normal and higher difficulty levels. Well, with the exception of a crazy few. :)

Also, not a glitch but a dirty tactic to make UC1 second Church encounter with Sully more bearable:

After the first wave, leave the church and pick off the second wave outside. Sully can survive on his own. Only come back once second wave is over and you have to fight third wave inside church. This way the likelihood of you dying on 2nd wave and have to repeat first wave is minimized.

That was always there in the originals too, though. The way to do it was a bit of an exploit and involved some trickery.

Anyone else know?

I vaguely remember something like that. You could start a new game at the hardest difficulty then switch somehow to the easiest, but you would receive the trophy for completing the hardest.

I haven't played Uncharted 1 since 2008, and only played through it once. I was really nervous going into it, since a lot of reviews said it hasn't held up very well. It is janky, but I am surprised how much I am enjoying it. The remaster looks excellent and the characters are still super charming. After playing The Witcher 3 and MGSV, I had to laugh at having the game 70% complete after 3 hours of play.

Shin-Ra

The only way the armored dudes should be in Uc4, if at all, is if there are other tactics to taking them down over than spraying a shit ton of bullets into them. The Last of Us never had to resort to it so hopefully they take what they have learned from that game.
1. Spray a shit-tonne of bullets into them until their armour breaks.
2. Spray a few bullets into their helmet until it breaks off.
3. Remove their armour with explosive.
4. Sniper shot or two to the head.

zsynqx

1. Spray a shit-tonne of bullets into them until their armour breaks.
2. Spray a few bullets into their helmet until it breaks off.
3. Remove their armour with explosive.
4. Sniper shot or two to the head.

I just want some strategy behind it if there are going to be armoured dudes. I was thinking of something more along the lines of say the last of us where you could throw a brick at an enemy to stun them and then have the opportunity to finish them off or how clickers can only be killed with shivs or melee weapons. Maybe your grapple hook could latch onto enemies and then you could pull of the armour exposing weak spots to shoot at. Pure damage output is dull and I would honestly prefer more weak enemies than one strong one if the only difference is that he takes more bullets/explosive damage.

Shin-Ra

I just want some strategy behind it if there are going to be armoured dudes. I was thinking of something more along the lines of say the last of us where you could throw a brick at an enemy to stun them and then have the opportunity to finish them off or how clickers can only be killed with shivs or melee weapons. Maybe your grapple hook could latch onto enemies and then you could pull of the armour exposing weak spots to shoot at. Pure damage output is dull and I would honestly prefer more weak enemies than one strong one if the only difference is that he takes more bullets/explosive damage.
It takes more skill to hit them in the helmet/head multiple times and it's satisfying to watch the armour break off from an explosive.

Do the glitch. Run all the way back to the courtyard, shoot the machine gun turret, wait until music gets tense then go back to the room but don't drop down. You'll see the enemies already spawning there. Now shoot them from the safety of your alcove above. Har har har.

I agree with the bolded though. It makes the game not fun even on Normal and I completed Crushing.

Is there a video for this?

In Uncharted 2, got past the
helicopter scene
and just so many god damn small things that when you pay attention to it makes this game so freaking good. And of course the
playing marco polo in the pool on top of the hotel
scene is still hilarious. I wonder how many people new can find this.

Illucio

Banned
Finally finished Uncharted 2.

It was good, but I don't understand a lot of the hype. I felt the ending was very underwhelming, Tenzin was a cool character that I wished stick along until the end. The villain was okay, and overall the obstacles and puzzles we're a huge improvement from the original Uncharted, and the use of Drake's journal was used much properly in this game.

I just don't understand why they have you climb the train in the beginning and then climb it again mid-game. Even change up the dialogue and things like that. I feel like at the time it was a huge technological advancement people wanted to show off?

Gun-Play became much better at end game, but the 1-2 hit KO's we're annoying. And some obstacles not being clear where to start them were a little annoying (not frustrating surprisingly.)

After playing this I feel like I really want a new Jak game from Naughty Dog rather then another Uncharted, which they did try to do but it ended up becoming The Last of Us.

I liked that I wasn't running around in circles again and the game was well paced but still. I feel like Naughty Dog could really have done better and if this is considered the best in the series I'm slightly disappointed. Still a solid game and I started playing a little bit of Uncharted 3.

Naughty just go back to Jak, I'm sorry I'm just not feeling Nathan, The Last of Us was a great standalone game, but it's time to get back to the duo that gave you your big break. (As well as the Banditcoot that made us love you to begin with.)

In Uncharted 2, got past the
helicopter scene
and just so many god damn small things that when you pay attention to it makes this game so freaking good. And of course the
playing marco polo in the pool on top of the hotel
scene is still hilarious. I wonder how many people new can find this.

Found it right away, and jumped in again hoping for a Polo and it did happen. <3 Just the little things.

Finally finished Uncharted 2.

It was good, but I don't understand a lot of the hype. I felt the ending was very underwhelming, Tenzin was a cool character that I wished stick along until the end. The villain was okay, and overall the obstacles and puzzles we're a huge improvement from the original Uncharted, and the use of Drake's journal was used much properly in this game.

I just don't understand why they have you climb the train in the beginning and then climb it again mid-game. Even change up the dialogue and things like that. I feel like at the time it was a huge technological advancement people wanted to show off?

Gun-Play became much better at end game, but the 1-2 hit KO's we're annoying. And some obstacles not being clear where to start them were a little annoying (not frustrating surprisingly.)

After playing this I feel like I really want a new Jak game from Naughty Dog rather then another Uncharted, which they did try to do but it ended up becoming The Last of Us.

I liked that I wasn't running around in circles again and the game was well paced but still. I feel like Naughty Dog could really have done better and if this is considered the best in the series I'm slightly disappointed. Still a solid game and I started playing a little bit of Uncharted 3.

Naughty just go back to Jak, I'm sorry I'm just not feeling Nathan, The Last of Us was a great standalone game, but it's time to get back to the duo that gave you your big break. (As well as the Banditcoot that made us love you to begin with.)

Found it right away, and jumped in again hoping for a Polo and it did happen. <3 Just the little things.

I can't wait for more Uncharted and Last of Us. Let another studio make their break with a game like Jak!

Top Bottom