• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Solobbos

I played throught Uncharted 1 for the first time ever and I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. The combat wasn't that good, the plot was thin and predictable and I didn't find any of the mechanics that interesting. The game was also shorter than I thought, which was a good thing since I was already bored of it.

Playing Uncharted 2 now and man, is it much better than the first one! I now understand the love for Uncharted.

I played throught Uncharted 1 for the first time ever and I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. The combat wasn't that good, the plot was thin and predictable and I didn't find any of the mechanics that interesting. The game was also shorter than I thought, which was a good thing since I was already bored of it.

Playing Uncharted 2 now and man, is it much better than the first one! I now understand the love for Uncharted.

To be honest I'm liking UC1 way more than UC2. The beginning of UC2 is so boring
stealth section, Borneo
. UC1 is a classic oldschool third person shooter while UC2 still hasn't aged at all. Look at Tomb Raider, most of the devs are still trying to copy Uncharted 2.

foxbeldin

Not really sure if it's a spoiler, but it's not about the cutscene itself. Some funny bug that happened to me when it triggered.

https://youtu.be/DW1jTz9dS5g

I had the same bug at the same spot. The engine teleports the model in place within the time of a frame to play the cutscene. It induces massive velocity into the mesh and it affects dynamic objects (here ragdolls) and boum, they fly.

I don't know how it went through QA because it must happen often since that's were the goons stand when you snipe them. Bluepoint could just disable physics during the cutscene and it should solve the problem.

The big difference between 2 and 3, and I think the explains folks' preference for 2 over 3 more than the initial hype of 3, is the pacing in 3. It uses a lot of downtime to artistic effect and to shine light on character dynamics. 2 never stops being intense. 3's got a slow burn.

Lol wat. I remember UC3 being one massive set piece after the other and how disjointed it all felt. It felt like they just splooged every set piece they could think of whereas UC'2 came naturally.

UC2 pacing was extremely good and I'm loving it even more after just having finished UC1, which was about as intense as you can get. I'll be doing my UC3 after I finish UC2, so lets see if the remaster and a second playthrough will change my mind.

To be honest I'm liking UC1 way more than UC2. The beginning of UC2 is so boring
stealth section, Borneo
. UC1 is a classic oldschool third person shooter while UC2 still hasn't aged at all. Look at Tomb Raider, most of the devs are still trying to copy Uncharted 2.

I'm the biggest UC2 fanboy lol ... I quite liked the stealth chapter, thought it was a great change of pace and seeing the dynamic of Drake between Drake and Flynn was great. Borneo section was a little short but I loved it all the same because of the lush jungles.

Shin-Ra

After playing Uncharted 3 in the collection, I have no concerns about how Uncharted 4 multiplayer's going to look at 60fps.

I personally don't think UC4 will be able to top UC2. Not in overall pacing, characters, sense of place or set pieces. I think UC4 will be amazing in its own right, but I honestly can't see it topping the second. The latter is pretty close to perfect as far as blockbuster pop corn experiences go.

I feel the new one will be less over the top and more grounded, but I hope it's not all like that because I love the over the top set pieces in this franchise, and the sense of awe, scale and wonder. Even in the moments of exposition, like the whole climbing the giant daggers mirror puzzles room, or making your way through the secret ice cave area in UC2. That stuff is Indiana Jones turned up to 11.

I don't think any of the gameplay they've yet shown from UC4 quite matches the set piece spectacle of some of the other key moments so far from the franchise. Eg the train or collapsing building levels.

The PSX demo of UC4 is easily easily easily the best chunk of gameplay they've ever created for an Uncharted game. Better than the train, better than the collapsing building, better than the ship capsizing, better than the airplane, better than the convoy set pieces, better than the E3 UC4 jeep chase demo. If most of the combat is made up of stuff like that, it'll be the best Uncharted title by leaps and bounds. Beyond that, if they apply even half of what they did with The Last of Us in terms of character work and pacing (after the slow beginning chapters) to Uncharted 4, again, I think it'll be the best one in the series. Beyond all of that, if they manage to create a big sense of scale with larger more detailed and flowing levels that are awe inspiring and wondrous not because of smoke and mirrors, but because the scale and beauty of the environments are that well done and real....I don't have to repeat myself again, do I?

ND have all the tools and experience they need to make the best UC game. I'd go so far as saying that if they don't surpass UC2, not in terms of hype and surprise (because realistically that's a difficult task), but with actual game design, they've failed, outright, because everything they've demoed and said so far shows that they know exactly what needs improving, especially after UC3.

foxbeldin

I know it would be perceived really negatively by the gaming community but if Sony released an mp addon for UCC at $20..... i'd buy it.

mindsale

Lol wat. I remember UC3 being one massive set piece after the other and how disjointed it all felt. It felt like they just splooged every set piece they could think of whereas UC'2 came naturally.

Uncharted 3's first few chapters (after a bar brawl) are Nate as a boy. You don't actually kill anyone until like chapter 5.

In Chapter 1 of Uncharted 2 you're hanging off of a train and after a short flashback, still within Chapter 1, kill a man. Uncharted 2 is Mad Max Fury Road by comparison.

Uncharted 3's first few chapters (after a bar brawl) are Nate as a boy. You don't actually kill anyone until like chapter 5.

In Chapter 1 of Uncharted 2 you're hanging off of a train and after a short flashback, still within Chapter 1, kill a man. Uncharted 2 is Mad Max Fury Road by comparison.

Lol.

Nice comparison, I guess that's why I love 2 so much.

Witnessed.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to my UC3 replay, I think I only replayed it once or twice and it's not very fresh in my mind so I'm keen to see how it stacks up alongside 2 but I've always said 3 felt very disjointed compared to 2.

kyser73

Just got to the City's Secret.

Holy hell I can't get over how good this looks. I think the thing that really shows it's a remaster is the lack of dynamic environment - no breezy leaves/branches for example, and the character models look a bit flat.

But the environments...so gorgeous and could stand up against PS4 native titles IMO.

mindsale

Criticizing Uncharted 3's setpieces as being inorganic is such a shallow complaint. In Uncharted 2 you
walk icy, frozen mountains to find a lush, Broken Paradise
. That's about as disjointed as a North African ship graveyard within North Africa in my opinion.

Side-criticism: Why didn't Lazaravic and Nate just use, I dunno, Google Earth to find that
Paradise Valley
and take, I dunno, helicopters or biplanes in?

Shin-Ra

Holy hell I can't get over how good this looks. I think the thing that really shows it's a remaster is the lack of dynamic environment - no breezy leaves/branches for example, and the character models look a bit flat.

But the environments...so gorgeous and could stand up against PS4 native titles IMO.
Nate's character model in Uncharted 3 is current-gen standard. Not Naughty Dog current-gen standard but super detailed and smooth.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Now that you mentioned it - UC1 had swaying leaves and branches as soon as you arrive on the island (even the PS3 original). I'm not sure if they kept that later on in the series.

Side-criticism: Why didn't Lazaravic and Nate just use, I dunno, Google Earth to find that
Paradise Valley
Henning or someone else from the team were asked that question actually. If I remember correctly, the answer was either that there were no satellite maps in the world of Uncharted, or that something about the valley (constant clouds?) was preventing it from being photographed from the above. Something along the lines that the place was a mystery because the world is supposed to have mysteries, or else a game like Uncharted couldn't exist.

mindsale

Now that you mentioned it - UC1 had swaying leaves and branches as soon as you arrive on the island (even the PS3 original). I'm not sure if they kept that later on in the series.

Related: I was wondering about the stringing flags in the Urban Warfare chapter of Uncharted 2. They sway in the Remaster and looks amazing. I can't remember if they sway in the original, but some foliage and larger static flags from Uncharted 2 now sway and didn't in the original PS3 release.

Edit: The stringing flags do sway in the original.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yes, the string flags did sway. Curious about the foliage. I remember being impressed that it swayed back then on PS3 UC1, but I don't remember if it ever did in 2 and 3.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Someone please help me. No way this game is THAT dark. Brightness is maxed. My TV looks fine for other games.

Be5q5X.png

Esxoun.png

I can hardly see in the caves.
If you have a problem like this, make sure your TV is not set to "Automatic" black levels, but manually set it correctly to a Full or Limited RGB (or rather High or Low black level as it's sometimes labeled in TV settings)

AwRy108

Anyone else having major issues with the disc install? It took me nearly 30 minutes just to install U1.

The pre-load goes fine, but then it doesn't seem to actually install the rest of the game unless I'm letting it sit idle on the screen after selecting New Game; and the install sounds really janky: I can hear it spin up the disc for 3-4 seconds at a time, stop, then repeat.

Also, I noticed that it doesn't install the other titles in the background EVER--not while I'm playing U1; and not even when the disc is in the PS4 with no other games or downloads running. And so, once again, I have to leave the game sit idle on the "New Game" screen for each title and wait for 30-40 minutes.

I have zero problems with other games, and I own like 30 disc-based PS4 games.

Just wondering if I got a bad disc or something.

Shin-Ra

I've installed the game twice without issues. Second time was to get pre-patch shadow screenshots.

First time I let it install fully before playing. No 1.01 patch released yet.

Second time I started it immediately and loaded a save into the middle of Drake's Fortune and it took just over a minute to copy what it needed for that level. 1.01 patch was downloading in the background.

foxbeldin

Anyone else having major issues with the disc install? It took me nearly 30 minutes just to install U1.

The pre-load goes fine, but then it doesn't seem to actually install the rest of the game unless I'm letting it sit idle on the screen after selecting New Game; and the install sounds really janky: I can hear it spin up the disc for 3-4 seconds at a time, stop, then repeat.

Also, I noticed that it doesn't install the other titles in the background EVER--not while I'm playing U1; and not even when the disc is in the PS4 with no other games or downloads running. And so, once again, I have to leave the game sit idle on the "New Game" screen for each title and wait for 30-40 minutes.

I have zero problems with other games, and I own like 30 disc-based PS4 games.

Just wondering if I got a bad disc or something.

Yep, i had something like that. I rebooted the PS4 and it took less than a minute after that.

viHuGi

Banned
Was playing Witcher 3 maxed on on PC prior to UC2 and the remaster still looks ridiculously gorgeous. I can't even comprehend how good these graphics looked in 2009. Everything is just so consistent and intricately crafted.

Really? UC1 and 2 sounded exactly the same to me.

Imagine Uncharted 4, Witcher 3 looks ps3 compared to it seriously xD

It's like a insane leap, Naughty Dog tech is insane.

AwRy108

I've installed the game twice without issues. Second time was to get pre-patch shadow screenshots.

First time I let it install fully before playing. No 1.01 patch released yet.

Second time I started it immediately and loaded a save into the middle of Drake's Fortune and it took just over a minute to copy what it needed for that level. 1.01 patch was downloading in the background.

Well, those are very different experiences from mine. Glad to hear you're not having any issues.

Yep, i had something like that. I rebooted the PS4 and it took less than a minute after that.

Would you be able to provide me with a bit more detail, such as:
  • Was your install pre or post v1.01 patch?
  • Did the install occur while the game was booted, or directly from the PS4 UI (like most games do)?
  • Did the games install all at once, or while you were playing one of the other titles?
  • Any other relevant info.?

I dread having to let the game idle at each title's screen for 30-40 minutes, so I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on something I'm missing.

Paradise Valley

I think the original idea was to have Shambala hidden under a lake. When it shows the map that Drake finds in Borneo, there's a very prominent image of a lake but it is never mentioned; the same lake is visible on Drake's modern map and is right next to the entrance to the city. Then, as you are actually making your way to the entrance, you activate a mechanism and it starts draining water for some reason.

Nori Chan

I just bought the uncharted collection bundle (yay 300 dollar eBay sell) and was wondering if the game that comes with it is digital or physical?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think the original idea was to have Shambala hidden under a lake. When it shows the map that Drake finds in Borneo, there's a very prominent image of a lake but it is never mentioned; the same lake is visible on Drake's modern map and is right next to the entrance to the city. Then, as you are actually making your way to the entrance, you activate a mechanism and it starts draining water for some reason.
Wow, that's a pretty cool piece of trivia, and would explain why there were all those mechanisms with a largely unexplainable purpose in the locations prior to Shambala. I can see how it would make it impossible to have actual city be the way it is in the game if it was under the lake for so long.

AwRy108

Looks like I'll be getting a majority of my games from PS4 digital. Thank you :)

With the size of most Triple-A games being 30 - 50GB's, I highly recommend going with physical copies whenever possible: even if you upgrade your storage to the max of 2 TB's, you're eventually going to be deleting stuff to make room; and, it most cases, it's way faster to install off the disc and only download the patches, versus downloading the full game from PSN.

Even with my disc installation issues I shared above, it'll take me less than 2 hours to install The Nathan Drake Collection from the disc; but to download the whole 44GB's from PSN would take me the better part of a day.

Nori Chan

With the size of most Triple-A games being 30 - 50GB's, I highly recommend going with physical copies whenever possible: even if you upgrade your storage to the max of 2 TB's, you're eventually going to be deleting stuff to make room; and, it most cases, it's way faster to install off the disc and only download the patches, versus downloading the full game from PSN.

Even with my disc installation issues I shared above, it'll take me less than 2 hours to install The Nathan Drake Collection from the disc; but to download the whole 44GB's from PSN would take me the better part of a day.

I appreciate the concern, but I'm probably going to be only buying exclusives on the ps4. Xbox one is my primary source of gaming.

Had my first crash while playing UC2, during the Monastery. Thankfully save data was still intact and everything.

Has anyone gotten their 10% off coupon for preordering on PSN yet?
I sure did. Though I have no idea what to use it on yet, at least on anything that isn't too expensive (60 bucks for this collection already cut into most of my spending this month).

PR_rambo

Banned
So I finished Drake's Fortune, and selected the next game in the menu.

Amd I must say, the Uncharted Veteran in me is really enjoying Uncharted 4

darthkarki

I wish they would. Scene not just looks worse than the original, but quite glitchy looking too.

Someone want to PM/email/tweet the Digital Foundry guys and ask them to take a look at this section? One of them goes by dark10x on here or something like that, right? If it's really like this for everyone I'm surprised they didn't catch it in their face-off. I'd love to hear their take on it. I'm at work at the moment or I would.

Alo0oy

Banned
Brutal is the most bullshit "difficulty" in any game ever.

Half the game is scripted gunshots that hit you as soon as a battle starts, the problem is that you die in 1-2 shots, so there are MANY situations where you have to either A) Get lucky. B) Find a way to break the game to avoid those scripted gunshots.

What were they thinking? I hope it doesn't make its way into UC4.

I'm halfway through 3 now, which has always been my favorite, and there're so many Naughty Dog-isms I'm noticing across all four of the PS3 games. Being chased by vehicles, pressing triangle to boost someone to a vantage point, trying to get to areas that have been sealed off for good reason (El Dorado, Shambala, Atlantis of the Sands, the Fireflies' lab).

3 is, for lack of a better word, more modern than the first two. It uses the yellow tinges in background art as an indication of where to go (used again in The Last of Us). This makes it much harder to get lost or not notice a handhold, without [fuck this pun], holding your hand.

The flamenco guitar work is clearly a precursor to Gustavo Santolalla's work on The Last of Us and a move away from Greg Edmunson's score that Uncharted 4 is finally doing. Treasures are way less obscure. Areas and arenas for firefights are larger. The stealth and melee are much-improved. Character interactions are more plentiful. Voice acting is better. Character motivations are deeper. There's a greater focus on more emotive scenes and backgrounds are explored.

The big difference between 2 and 3, and I think the explains folks' preference for 2 over 3 more than the initial hype of 3, is the pacing in 3. It uses a lot of downtime to artistic effect and to shine light on character dynamics. 2 never stops being intense. 3's got a slow burn.

Also I suppose if someone didn't initially like the multiplayer (unfortunately not included in the remaster - it's the best unnecessary multiplayer since Mass Effect 3), that could potentially detract from their enjoyment of 3, as it is slightly shorter than 2. It's also easier, for what it's worth. Guns are more powerful, enemies take WAY fewer shots on crushing.

I just played all three for the first time and what made U3 a lot worse than 2 was the combat.
- the new melee just gets in the way. I want to roll away but I can't as grab is the same button.
- so many areas have a new wave spawn next to you simply because you naturally moved to a part if the map I apparently shouldn't have.
- so many types of bullet sponges (the brutes being the dumbest)

If they fixed that it would be on par or better than 2 but as it is its worse that U1.

It stops you having as much freedom in how you approach each encounter. You kind of have to learn the routine and dance how ND want you to. You could kind of just wing it in 2 and survive, in 3 you die as you had moved to a part of the map you apparently shouldn't have.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
finished U1 on crushing it was easier than i remembered. now back to forcing myself playing MGSV chapter 2 :|
uncharted_thenathandryyoyf.jpg

Flandy

Had my first crash while playing UC2, during the Monastery. Thankfully save data was still intact and everything.

I sure did. Though I have no idea what to use it on yet, at least on anything that isn't too expensive (60 bucks for this collection already cut into most of my spending this month).

Did you get it via e-mail or on your ps4?

Rikyfree

Man there are a tons of unlockable weapons and skins in U3. So good to have it in there now. They even have fal ss in there. That was my baby in the mp on ps3. Im so happy!

Vitor711

I just played all three for the first time and what made U3 a lot worse than 2 was the combat.
- the new melee just gets in the way. I want to roll away but I can't as grab is the same button.
- so many areas have a new wave spawn next to you simply because you naturally moved to a part if the map I apparently shouldn't have.
- so many types of bullet sponges (the brutes being the dumbest)

If they fixed that it would be on par or better than 2 but as it is its worse that U1.

It stops you having as much freedom in how you approach each encounter. You kind of have to learn the routine and dance how ND want you to. You could kind of just wing it in 2 and survive, in 3 you die as you had moved to a part of the map you apparently shouldn't have.

The brutes aren't the issue - it's the armoured shotgunners. Ugh. I actually like the melee when it's outside of gunfights (although not having animations play out immediately when pressing buttons doesn't feel great).

Also, yeah, the grab button, aside from being useless, has made me screw up rolls/cover far too often. Managed to bungle a stealth moment because Drake decided to grab a dude and not go into cover next to him for an instant stealth kill.

Top Bottom