• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

The brutes aren't the issue - it's the armoured shotgunners. Ugh. I actually like the melee when it's outside of gunfights (although not having animations play out immediately when pressing buttons doesn't feel great).

Also, yeah, the grab button, aside from being useless, has made me screw up rolls/cover far too often. Managed to bungle a stealth moment because Drake decided to grab a dude and not go into cover next to him for an instant stealth kill.

It might also be because I played it right after 2

Still enjoyed every other aspect. Not like its a bad game. I know what to expect now when I replay it down the line.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The UC3 combat...ughhhhhhhhh. No hit reactions, people run like they're on speed always bolting around in the open and charging at you exactly like I remember it. You can sit on top of a staircase and just gun down 3 people back to back just mindlessly turning the corner and running up them.

I've also already died twice to the O grab. You can't have a defensive button mapping(take cover, roll) also engage in combat like this, it locks you into animations that leave you wide open and you can't get away when people close in on you since the button overrides into doing that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Someone want to PM/email/tweet the Digital Foundry guys and ask them to take a look at this section? One of them goes by dark10x on here or something like that, right? If it's really like this for everyone I'm surprised they didn't catch it in their face-off. I'd love to hear their take on it. I'm at work at the moment or I would.
Yeah, dark10x posts here (he's a gaf veteran), and he's the guy who did the UC Collection analysis for DF. I'd be surprised if he's not reading this thread.

When can we do open spoilers?

One weird thing about 3 compared to 2,besides the whole boat section feeling out of place and irrelevant, is that
for one, Cutter's introduction felt really tacted on and he had almost no relevance, unlike Chloe's introduction which then stayed relevant throughout as she was both undercover and questioning Drake's decisions throughout. Then Salim feels out of touch with the characters and never earns his relation with Drake before helping him, whereas Schafer (and by extension Tenzin) does by being an explorer himself looking for the same thing. Lastly the lost city has almost no build up and doesn't feel earned at all, it's just "Oh hey you stumbled upon our city!" Whereas in 2 the introduction of Shambala was great and well earned.
And not really a spoiler, but appearantly Sully and Elena can move around almost as well as Drake, they make some pretty remarkable jumps while in previous games staying their inability to perform such feats.

One weird thing about 3 compared to 2,besides the whole boat section feeling out of place and irrelevant, is that
for one, Cutter's introduction felt really tacted on and he had almost no relevance, unlike Chloe's introduction which then stayed relevant throughout as she was both undercover and questioning Drake's decisions throughout. Then Salim feels out of touch with the characters and never earns his relation with Drake before helping him, whereas Schafer (and by extension Tenzin) does by being an explorer himself looking for the same thing. Lastly the lost city has almost no build up and doesn't feel earned at all, it's just "Oh hey you stumbled upon our city!" Whereas in 2 the introduction of Shambala was great and well earned.
And not really a spoiler, but appearantly Sully and Elena can move around almost as well as Drake, they make some pretty remarkable jumps while in previous games staying their inability to perform such feats.

The boat section has no real connection to the story, but gameplay and graphics-wise, it's the pinnacle of the trilogy for me.

I just remembered the only thing I hate about uncharted 2
those fucking guardians. Bullet sponges.

Crossbow
takes them out easily.

catspit

Anyone know anything about a possible Preorder Bonus code for Amazon.ca/.com that gives golden guns and some skins.. I read that some people recieved a code.. But can't find any info on this when searching around..

viHuGi

Banned
ix4YU9.jpg

Man, Uncharted 2 on Crushing really is much easier than 1 on that difficulty. Got to chapter 6, and it shows just how good the game design is in this that it's actually quite bearable. Most deaths I had in a single chapter thus far was 4, but that's just because the design of that battle in the camp is way more limited than what you face in Nepal, which was a ton of fun.

Favorite moment of the playthrough so far was after the bus with resistance fighters passing by near the beginning of chapter 5. There I threw a gas canister, blew it up to kill 2 guys at once, and then immediately shot the third goon in the head before he noticed, all in quick succession and quickly resolved the conflict. Probably the biggest sense of satisfaction I've had in this game thus far, and why 2 is the best of the three games.

..fuck, I just realized I should've saved a video of that.

Revven

Anyone know anything about a possible Preorder Bonus code for Amazon.ca/.com that gives golden guns and some skins.. I read that some people recieved a code.. But can't find any info on this when searching around..

You get the code in an e-mail, if you haven't gotten it yet then I don't know what to tell you. They are early unlocks so if you don't have the code it's no biggie, you can unlock them in-game anyway.

Just finished UC2 tonight. Man, I forgot how long the end of the game is, compared to UC1 it's like night and day in terms of the length of chapters. Each chapter at the end can take at least an hour, especially if you bother to try and remember where some treasures are.

But UC2 is just as good as I remember it. I love all the battles near the end of the game because it really tests your knowledge of what you can do with Drake and if you play your cards right, you don't even need
the Crossbow
to take out
the guardians
right before the end of Chapter 25.

The game is designed so well that if you know what's coming ahead you can plan for it, pretty much as though they intended it to go and work that way (really, I'm sure it's intentional). Carrying power weapons through to a new shootout is so good. It's something you can't quite do in UC1 due to how some of the power weapons have really low ammo (save for shotguns).

Ahhh... now I can't wait to play through it again with Winter Sully. Gonna be glorious because that wasn't a skin for single player before, it was added as only a MP skin on the PS3.

JTripper

Playing through Uncharted 1 on Hard and finding all treasures.

The shooting is surely dated and the enemy ai design is as well. They just rush you and it's SUPER frustrating on even hard difficulty. No clue how the fuck anyone can get through brutal.

Just finished my first play through of Uncharted 2. Holy shit what a game. I now see why it got all the acclaim and accolades it did when it came out. It improved over U1 in every aspect and then some. Now on to U3 which I hear is not as good as 2, but I'm sure it'll still be a great experience.

Side note: Don't know how anyone can find all the treasures in U2 without a guide. I swear I checked every nook and cranny and found just under half the treasures.

Halfway through my U2 Crushing playthrough and uhh, the hit detection actually seems worse than U1, even with those enemies dodging and ducking all over the place. Perhaps it's just a perspective issue as there's more verticality in U2 and I'll go through some frames I've recorded later to judge, but it's a bit frustrating for me going from headshotting everyone in DF smoothly and confidently to feeling that the hit boxes are bit iffy. Anyone else feel this? Nevertheless, still adoring U2 :D

Finished Drake's Fortune. I played and beat it back in 2008, over seven years ago, my God. I remembered most of it. Played it on Hard, as I am not as good with the shooting mechanics.

I always loved the original. The next two are going to be fresh experiences for me, never really played them.

Are there less checkpoints than before? Playing through Drakes Fortune on crushing and there are places I seem to remember having checkpoints that no longer do. Also it seems like some enemies trigger earlier in certain places.

Edit: it's been a while since I played it last, so I may just be misremembering.

Revven

Are there less checkpoints than before? Playing through Drakes Fortune on crushing and there are places I seem to remember having checkpoints that no longer do. Also it seems like some enemies trigger earlier in certain places.

Edit: it's been a while since I played it last, so I may just be misremembering.

Nah, checkpoints are the same.

for one, Cutter's introduction felt really tacted on and he had almost no relevance, unlike Chloe's introduction which then stayed relevant throughout as she was both undercover and questioning Drake's decisions throughout.
Cutter was supposed to be in the entire game, but when the actor was cast in The Hobbit movies they had to reduce his role.

If you have a problem like this, make sure your TV is not set to "Automatic" black levels, but manually set it correctly to a Full or Limited RGB (or rather High or Low black level as it's sometimes labeled in TV settings)

Well I sort of fixed it. I just adjusted my brightness levels on my TV and checked the image and it was more visible. I had my brightness lower since I also use my TV with my PC through HDMI and I had the settings calibrated to compensate for that brightness calibration tool in Windows. The black X near the man in the black vest and shirt is the one. It was now too bright on Windows but I just adjusted the display settings within the AMD CCC and all is good now.

mrqs

Just finished Uncharted Drake's Fortune and, what the hell. I though it would be way better.

Here are my main problems:
- Plataforming is bad. The level design is not quite there and the game suffers from that. Nathan feels so loose and imprecise, it's pretty hard to get where you want with him.

- Jetski is just brainless.

- Characters are "ok" and just weirdly bad. Nathan and Elena are quite allright, but their story arch is pretty null. Sully doesn't show up for 70% of the game, he does very little in it. The bad guys are just bad guys... Eddy is someone who Nathan knows not sure why, just a bad guy with an army. The old guy is just an old guy that Sully owns money, and there's this Navarro guy that doesn't get almost none screen time. The story is a mess, from nowhere the old guy shows up in the beggining, from nowhere Elena shows up, from nowhere most of the things in this game happens.

That's not even my main problem, my problem is the almost non-stop hordes of enemies that you have to defeat. Is pretty amazing how the game is made by this simple and dumb game design. Sometimes nothing happens for several chapters, is just Nathan going from point A to B killing some "bad guys".

For a franchise known for it's narrative and cinematric feel, Uncharted Drake's Fortune it's pretty shallow and soulless.

For sure was better in 2007 when the bar was so lower than it's right now in video-games, but nevertheless, a simple and messy game.

7/10

P.S. The Last of Us is one of my favorite games ever, it's amazing to see how Naughty Dog evolve.

Just finished Uncharted Drake's Fortune and, what the hell. I though it would be way better.

- Plataforming is bad. The level design is not quite there and the game suffers from that. Nathan feels so loose and imprecise, it's pretty hard to get where you want with him.

- Characters are "ok" and just weirdly bad. Nathan and Elena are quite allright, but their story arch is pretty null. Sully doesn't show up for 70% of the game, he does very little in it. The bad guys are just bad guys... Eddy is someone who Nathan knows not sure why, just a bad guy with an army. The old guy is just an old guy that Sully owns money, and there's this Navarro guy that doesn't get almost none screen time. The story is a mess, from nowhere the old guy shows up in the beggining, from nowhere Elena shows up, from nowhere most of the things in this game happens.

That's not even my main problem, my problem is the almost non-stop hordes of enemies that you have to defeat. Is pretty amazing how the game is made by this simple and dumb game design. Sometimes nothing happens for several chapters, is just Nathan going from point A to B killing some "bad guys".

For a franchise known for it's narrative and cinematric feel, Uncharted Drake's Fortune it's pretty shallow and soulless.

For sure was better in 2007 when the bar was so lower than it's right now in video-games, but nevertheless, a simple and messy game.

7/10

P.S. The Last of Us is one of my favorite games ever, it's amazing to see how Naughty Dog evolve.

Look forward to what you think of U2.

Finished Uncharted 1 and 2 for the first time this past weekend. My one and only complaint was the jetski sections of the first game. Like, what was that? Did the original PS3 version take advantage of pressure sensitive buttons for those segments? Because on PS4 they control like ass. UC2, on the other hand, was an amazing experience throughout. Easily my favorite third person shooter campaign.

Started on Uncharted 3, finished chapters 1-3 and MAN what an intro! Was pumped throughout. Can't wait for more. Will probably go for trophy cleanup on all games after completing 3.

seat

I just opened this thread to say essentially the same thing. I'm playing UC1 for the first time now and I'm finding it a bit of a chore to get through. I feel like I should force myself to play through it so I can fully appreciate UC2, though.

Yopis

Just finished U1, and I really didn't remember it being that good, had a blast playing through it again. Now on to 2.

Always been my favorite out of the three.

Tess killed my enjoyment of Last of us. These games are my favorite from the studio.

krae_man

I just remembered the only thing I hate about uncharted 2
those fucking guardians. Bullet sponges.

Use the crossbow, it's a one hit kill. That's what it's there for. Just don't miss.

60% Through UC1. I never had any trouble with the Jet Ski stages. Just watch out for explosive barrels and make sure to take out the RPG guys and you're fine.

I've had a few deaths platforming where Nate jumped a random direction or didn't grab a ledge for absolutely no reason but thankfully the checkpoints are pretty close while in platforming sections.

Always been my favorite out of the three.

Tess killed my enjoyment of Last of us. These games are my favorite from the studio.

The Last of Us Remastered was the first non-Crash or Jak game I've played from Naughty Dog, and I've got to say I had a lot more fun with UC2. It's not Tess' fault and I think TLOU is a phenomenal game, but this is right up my alley.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Naughty Dog admitted later that they made a big mistake by designing the game around set-pieces and not the actual story, it's obvious throughout Drake's Deception. All things considered, the story turned out pretty well, specially since they admitted that story was not in their top priority.

It's crazy to play through chapter two of Among Thieves knowing how the stealth mechanic develops in later years (TLoU). It's awesome to witness/recognize progress. ND has taken some big steps in the last decade... Can't wait to see the progress applied to U4.

Just started playing the remasters and I can't believe how nice Uncharted 1 looks. It looks very small, as if you're on some kind of film set but it still feels lush and beautiful. Great job remastering

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

7/10

UC2 gonna blow you the fuck out

hopefully

SZips

Tonight I finished the
train sequence
in Uncharted 2 and a bit of the stuff in
Tibet (right up until after the first fight with the Yeti). God, that train sequence was great and how the ice and snow look in the caves is just incredible.

stryke

Naughty Dog admitted later that they made a big mistake by designing the game around set-pieces and not the actual story, it's obvious throughout Drake's Deception. All things considered, the story turned out pretty well, specially since they admitted that story was not in their top priority.

It's not like the approach was dramatically different with Uncharted 2. The train level was the first thing to be conceived but they had no idea why Drake was on it. They just wanted a train level.

Top Bottom