• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Vitor711

I still think it is a bug because the alternative is that ND removed perfectly working hit reaction model of U1 and U2 just to fuck up the encounters in U3

Huh, I totally didn't realise that enemies weren't flinching in UC3. Then again, I started the collection backwards so have UC2 to play next.

That might explain why I found the game so frustrating. The levels are so well designed, particularly in their openness, that it feels so close to being great. But the moment-to-moment combat (especially once you get the sniper/rocket combo or the damned armoured guys) just ruin things through frustration as you're suddenly killed due to little fault of your own. It's weird just how much the game punishes movement. Most fights are better suited to you staying in one piece of cover (especially as you can throw back grenades).

I also remember liking the melee in 3 but man, the O to grab move is a mess when it's mapped to cover/roll as well.

Huh, I totally didn't realise that enemies weren't flinching in UC3. Then again, I started the collection backwards so have UC2 to play next.

That might explain why I found the game so frustrating. The levels are so well designed, particularly in their openness, that it feels so close to being great. But the moment-to-moment combat (especially once you get the sniper/rocket combo or the damned armoured guys) just ruin things through frustration as you're suddenly killed due to little fault of your own. It's weird just how much the game punishes movement. Most fights are better suited to you staying in one piece of cover (especially as you can throw back grenades).

I also remember liking the melee in 3 but man, the O to grab move is a mess when it's mapped to cover/roll as well.

Combat in UC2 is awful, too. The same frustrating enemy combos (sniper, rocket, grenade)....in the last third of the game at least.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here

openness and design of levels are great but U3 is frustrating because in encounters enemies don't react to bullets, they have shitty AI and and their placement is total bullcrap. this game really really angers me :D

zsynqx

Luckilly Uncharted 4 has nice hit reactions. Makes such a difference.

GIF4f7b6.gif

GIF372af6.gif

Revven

Combat in UC2 is awful, too. The same frustrating enemy combos (sniper, rocket, grenade)....in the last third of the game at least.

Disagree, it's not awful. UC2's last combat sections can be frustrating if you don't know what you're doing. But if you've played it before, you shouldn't have any trouble. Meaning, you should know where all the good weapons are and what to do against them.

I just finished UC2 last night and the only areas where I died a lot on (keep in mind I'm playing on Hard, not Crushing or Normal) were
the area where you are about to open the secret entrance, where there's a turret and a couple of armored guys.
And
the area where you're in Shambahla and you have to first fight humans and then the guardians will show up -- it's the area where you have to use Nate as a counterweight to open the door.

Both those parts have a rocket and sniper guy and I had only died a couple of times on each for stupid mistakes, my own mistakes and not ones caused by the game's design. Both parts can be stealthed halfway to get good weapons from the enemies and then if you did it right, each section is a cakewalk. Certainly much easier if you don't go in guns ablaze, which is a mistake a lot of people make in UC2 -- people don't realize just how many sections can be stealthed and/or halfway stealthed.

It's definitely not awful design. It's all very well thought out. I'm not denying it can't be frustrating, because it can, but once you get it the combat arenas flow really damn well. Don't blame the game's design when you're playing bad or you're making mistakes.

Tubie

Just finished UC1 and it really feels like the game was way harder when I played it for that first time on PS3.
I remember that zombie part in the nazi base scaring and beating the living shit out of me back then.
Maybe I've gotten better at third person shooters over the years :O

It always felt to me like in terms of difficulty it was UC1>UC2>UC3, but this felt easier than UC3. Now I'm thinking of starting UC2 in Hard or even Crushing, because if that game is even easier, I'm gonna need to up the difficulty.

Also, I need to say again what an incredible job Bluepoint has done on the original game, it looked and played great. I imagine UC3 will look almost like a current gen game when I get to it.

Vitor711

Yeah, but you can make a rocket dude flinch before he gets the shot off and save yourself in UC2. In 3, unless you get a headshot, you're dead. It's a vastly different dynamic as enemies can stagger your aim in UC3 but you can't return the favour.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
Damn, this collection reminds me of just how good Uncharted 4 is even years later. Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us were the two best games of last generation by far.

HolyJonte

Still have I never died on the last boss in Uncharted 2, never been close to dieing. And this was the third time I beat it on Crushing in total. I do the same things here as I do in the Souls games and games like God of War on hardest difficulty. Observe the enemy AI weaknesses and try to find a spot where you can trick the game to make dumb things...

SomTervo

Wat?

Uncharted 2 on Crushing is super balanced. It's really hard, but really fair. There are always places to hide, weaknesses to exploit, killer weapons to find.

Uncharted 3 on Crushing is super cheap. It's really hard, and rarely fair. The encounter designs are like something out of Call of Duty. Most often luck prevails and there's barely space for improvisation/complex tactics. Rather than ducking out of a hot situation and finding 3-4 alternative approaches, in Uncharted 3 you often can't duck out of a situation without being exposed further and dying immediately.

I had to cut of Among Thieves last night right before Chloe shuts off the light to the tower during the opening heist....... So i'm basically through the game's tutorial.

It's go time when I get home.
Can't wait.

I had to cut of Among Thieves last night right before Chloe shuts off the light to the tower during the opening heist....... So i'm basically through the game's tutorial.

It's go time when I get home.
Can't wait.

OT but why not use "Fibonacci number" for your username?

In late game Uncharted 2, encounters are getting really annoying. Their way of ramping up the difficulty is to just spam armored characters and people with RPG's then give you an AK to kill them all.

In late game Uncharted 2, encounters are getting really annoying. Their way of ramping up the difficulty is to just spam armored characters and people with RPG's then give you an AK to kill them all.

Crossbow, Wesler, Sniper Dragon, Pistol are your friend. I thought most of endgame encounters have strong weapons for you

"Golden Ratio" would be a more accurate... but it's still just a name, unlike the numbers, which are the language of nature.

I like your explanation :p

Crossbow, Wesler, Sniper Dragon, Pistol are your friend. I thought most of endgame encounters have strong weapons for you

This one doesn't, unfortunately. I had a crossbow from a previous encounter with two shots and then there are only AK's lying around or I can get the M4 off of an enemies corpse. Don't see snipers or anything lying around.

This one doesn't, unfortunately. I had a crossbow from a previous encounter with two shots and then there are only AK's lying around or I can get the M4 off of an enemies corpse. Don't see snipers or anything lying around.

I see. Try to save grenade then. I always have full grenade to deal with this situation.

Wat?

Uncharted 2 on Crushing is super balanced. It's really hard, but really fair. There are always places to hide, weaknesses to exploit, killer weapons to find.

Uncharted 3 on Crushing is super cheap. It's really hard, and rarely fair. The encounter designs are like something out of Call of Duty. Most often luck prevails and there's barely space for improvisation/complex tactics. Rather than ducking out of a hot situation and finding 3-4 alternative approaches, in Uncharted 3 you often can't duck out of a situation without being exposed further and dying immediately.

No, it's horrible. It's the worst encouter design I've ever experienced in a game. I'm in Shambala right now and I'm not sure if I can stand this frustrating mess any longer.

Edit: Oh well, checkpoint system didn't work. Now there's a checkpoint and it's easier. My bad.

SomTervo

No, it's horrible. It's the worst encouter design I've ever experienced in a game. I'm in Shambala right now and I'm not sure if I can stand this frustrating mess any longer.

Edit: Oh well, checkpoint system didn't work. Now there's a checkpoint and it's easier. My bad.

Um. Something is definitely not right here. That is pretty drastic hyperbole. Are you playing on Crushing as your first-time difficulty or something?

Critics and users on Metacritic seem to disagree with you, critics and users on GameRankings seem to disagree with you, and I certainly disagree with you.

Edit: Has your edit totally U-turned your opinion on the whole game? This is so confusing.

So I'm thinking of popping in Uncharted 2 on ps3 to pay the multiplayer, anyone have insight to how active that is? Really I just want to play some elimination, absolutely loved that with Uncharted's traversal.

I suppose I could try 3 if that's more active but I hate that it has loadouts, much prefer everyone spawn equal.

Um. Something is definitely not right here. That is pretty drastic hyperbole. Are you playing on Crushing as your first-time difficulty or something?

Critics and users on Metacritic seem to disagree with you, critics and users on GameRankings seem to disagree with you, and I certainly disagree with you.

Edit: Has your edit totally U-turned your opinion on the whole game? This is so confusing.

No, not the whole game^^ Just one section. I'm playing on hard btw. Shambhala is still awful

hamchan

No, not the whole game^^ Just one section. I'm playing on hard btw. Shambhala is still awful

Use crossbows against the blue men since that seems to be most people's hang ups with the section.. The rest are just the standard enemies that they provide plenty of powerful weapons for. The enemies in UC2 mostly spawn from one direction at a time and they always give power weapons when needed, so it's a very fair combat design.

Shambala is trial and error. You need to know where the right spots are for stealth kills, power weapon spawns and making sure you have the right weapons before going into the next section.

It's not poor design. It basically forces people to think outside the box, try different tactics and do some planning which is something they didn't force you to do the entire game. The only cheap part is the final boss, but even that has tactics that can save your ass.

*while playing on hard or crushing

Best wishes.

Revven

Like I said earlier, I finished UC2 last night on Hard and Shambhala is just fine if you've got the right weapon and approached the arenas properly. The last arena, in particular, is very easy to win if you do a previous encounter (in the water area) a certain way that winds up in you carrying the Hammer (Grenade Launcher) all the way to it.

It's not terrible design. It's you playing bad.

Which part of Shambhala are you on? If you're at
the part where you're at a gated area that has some weight stuff and a stonehead statue, all you need to do is stealth kill the first four or five guys and two of them, upon stealth killing them, drop a Desert-5 and a Dragon Sniper. Both of which are incredibly useful to completing the area easily.

If you can't figure out which four-five guys to stealth kill, go all the way to the left and hide behind cover and watch where they go. They are all easily able to be stealth killed. Once you've done that, circle back around and throw two-three grenades at the GAU guy, he'll die, and then you can take out the rest with the sniper and Desert-5

I just did that strat last night.

Again, a lot of the endgame requires you to understand how to partially stealth the area to obtain power weapons, grenades, or the like. If you don't do that, you come in unprepared. You shouldn't play this like a typical TPS where you sit behind cover and take out everyone, move around, learn the area, see where weapons are hidden and if there aren't any then chances are you need to stealth kill some of them (and the ones they want you to stealth kill have an obvious patrol route/path for you to do so).

It is not terribly designed.

We talking about the Shambala section before Drake uses himself as a counterweight? You can stealth a good chunk of the enemies and there is a Wes and dragon sniper to find. And then if you brought a golden crossbow over from the previous section you can easily down the heavy armor guys. Takes a bit of knowledge on enemy routes and weapon placement, remember having trouble with it on PS3, but I breezed through first try on crushing on ps4.

I don't think any of the Uncharted 2 fights are unfair, you just need to know, again, enemy routes and weapon placements. I was actually a little shocked because I thought the section earlier when you reveal the Shambala entrance and Elena is on the opposing roof was the hardest in my memory, but I got past that second try.

Shambala is trial and error. You need to know where the right spots are for stealth kills, power weapon spawns and making sure you have the right weapons before going into the next section.

It's not poor design. It basically forces people to think outside the box, try different tactics and do some planning which is something they didn't force you to do the entire game. The only cheap part is the final boss, but even that has tactics that can save your ass.

*while playing on hard or crushing

Best wishes.
I don't even get the complaints with the final boss concerning difficulty. I imagine even on Brutal it would be a piece of cake because you never have to get hurt once. It'll literally running in circles while kiting the boss the entire time. You're never in his shotgun range, and you never stop moving so when he tosses grenades you're never close to them.

Uncharted 2 is far from unfair. It's not like Uncharted 1, which is Dark Souls territory and Uncharted 3, which wasn't polished properly before release.

Which part of Shambhala are you on? If you're at
the part where you're at a gated area that has some weight stuff and a stonehead statue, all you need to do is stealth kill the first four or five guys and two of them, upon stealth killing them, drop a Desert-5 and a Dragon Sniper. Both of which are incredibly useful to completing the area easily.

If you can't figure out which four-five guys to stealth kill, go all the way to the left and hide behind cover and watch where they go. They are all easily able to be stealth killed. Once you've done that, circle back around and throw two-three grenades at the GAU guy, he'll die, and then you can take out the rest with the sniper and Desert-5

I just did that strat last night.

Again, a lot of the endgame requires you to understand how to partially stealth the area to obtain power weapons, grenades, or the like. If you don't do that, you come in unprepared. You shouldn't play this like a typical TPS where you sit behind cover and take out everyone, move around, learn the area, see where weapons are hidden and if there aren't any then chances are you need to stealth kill some of them (and the ones they want you to stealth kill have an obvious patrol route/path for you to do so).

It is not terribly designed.

That's the exact part I'm at, haha, thanks for the tips! I'll try again tonight.

Wakka212

I kept telling myself I wouldn't double dip - have all 3 games and replayed them just before the PS4 came out. Still have a working PS3 but the changes BluePoint has made and the positive feedback from all of you guys has tipped me over the edge.

Can't wait to jump back in - will probably purchase tonight.

Revven

I don't even get the complaints with the final boss concerning difficulty. I imagine even on Brutal it would be a piece of cake because you never have to get hurt once. It'll literally running in circles while kiting the boss the entire time. You're never in his shotgun range, and you never stop moving so when he tosses grenades you're never close to them.

I think it's because of two things:

1) Most players who played UC2 played it like a typical TPS, so sitting behind cover most of the time and barely moving around. Having a boss focus on moving around and shooting at the tree sap stuff goes against the expectations of what the players thought they might be tested on. In other words, they're not ready for it.

2) The arena's structure makes it very easy to get cornered if you have your camera focused on where Lazarevic is instead of focused on what's ahead of you. Not only that, but it's very easy to also get stuck in certain spots even when you didn't mean to and jumping at the wrong spots can be very costly due to how long the animations are for Drake. Making it easy to die from grenades, getting hit by Lazarevic's shotgun, or Laza shooting the tree sap and that causing severe damage to you. There's a lot of ways you can die by things outside of your control.

But on replays, yeah, absolutely it's not that bad of a boss. Kind of wish it at least checkpointed when you got to the last phase but it's a "short" boss so it makes sense there's no checkpoints.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I kept telling myself I wouldn't double dip - have all 3 games and replayed them just before the PS4 came out. Still have a working PS3 but the changes BluePoint has made and the positive feedback from all of you guys has tipped me over the edge.

Can't wait to jump back in - will probably purchase tonight.

I had similar thoughts - "I own all these games already and have played them all several times, do I really want to buy them again?" - but I'm very glad I decided to go for it. It really is a spectacular upgrade that looks and feels so much better to play. Especially with UC1 the difference is just night and day. I fired up the PS3 version for a few minutes to compare, and that game really hasn't aged very well; it's jaggy, the framerate is unstable, there's screen tearing aplenty. Just not a great experience. The remaster feels like a new game. So clean, so smooth, basically the game perfected. I never want to touch my PS3 copy again. UC2 and 3 were obviously much better games technically all along, but that 1080p60 is just so sweet. So yeah, I recommend it!

Would you say that Crushing is workable for a first play-through (for a player new to the series, but a veteran of the genre) or would you advise starting on a lower setting?

It's workable, sure, but can get rather frustrating at times. I would recommend Hard for your first playthrough. Still challenging, but won't make you want to throw your controller into your TV. It will be a more enjoyable first experience.

Would you say that Crushing is workable for a first play-through (for a player new to the series, but a veteran of the genre) or would you advise starting on a lower setting?
I'd recommend Hard, unless you find it too easy.

I'm playing Uncharted 2 right now on Crushing and it's definitely easier than the PS3 version. I didn't even die once in the
Draza
boss fight.

I have a suspicion that they have renamed the difficulty levels... PS4 Crushing feels more like PS3 Hard.

Does anyone remember that Uncharted 2 had a "Very Easy" difficulty? IIRC, it had auto-aim just like the new Explorer difficulty.

Brutal is probably the "new" Crushing, along with plenty of cheap moments/cheesy deaths as it seems.

I think it's because of two things:

1) Most players who played UC2 played it like a typical TPS, so sitting behind cover most of the time and barely moving around. Having a boss focus on moving around and shooting at the tree sap stuff goes against the expectations of what the players thought they might be tested on. In other words, they're not ready for it.

2) The arena's structure makes it very easy to get cornered if you have your camera focused on where Lazarevic is instead of focused on what's ahead of you. Not only that, but it's very easy to also get stuck in certain spots even when you didn't mean to and jumping at the wrong spots can be very costly due to how long the animations are for Drake. Making it easy to die from grenades, getting hit by Lazarevic's shotgun, or Laza shooting the tree sap and that causing severe damage to you. There's a lot of ways you can die by things outside of your control.

But on replays, yeah, absolutely it's not that bad of a boss. Kind of wish it at least checkpointed when you got to the last phase but it's a "short" boss so it makes sense there's no checkpoints.
The second point was definitely the issue for me even on replays. For me I'd always try and keep the camera on him and run & gun the sap as he passed by but I'd lose focus on where I was going, leading into the various issues where I'd take damage and die.

Still better than Navarro, for what it's worth. Though I think when it comes to final bosses in this series, I liked the one in 3 the most just because it was primarily a fist fight and I remember having the least trouble against him the first time compared to the other two.

Revven

I'd recommend Hard, unless you find it too easy.

I'm playing Uncharted 2 right now on Crushing and it's definitely easier than the PS3 version. I didn't even die once in the
Draza
boss fight.

I have a suspicion that they have renamed the difficulty levels... PS4 Crushing feels more like PS3 Hard.

Does anyone remember that Uncharted 2 had a "Very Easy" difficulty? IIRC, it had auto-aim just like the new Explorer difficulty.

Brutal is probably the "new" Crushing, along with plenty of cheap moments/cheesy deaths as it seems.

But Brutal does more than the other difficulties, it reduces the amount of ammo you can pick up and makes health regneration take longer (aside from the already 2-hits and you're dead). At most, they only renamed Very Easy to Explorer but I haven't tried Explorer to do a proper comparison.

In addition, Hard is definitely still the old Hard so I don't think anything -- with respect to the old difficulties -- has changed. It's just easier because the games are more responsive with 60 FPS and the improved aiming/shooting.

Top Bottom