• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

This might of been answered before, but what do people prefer most with the motion blur? Object or Object and Camera? Is there a big difference? Does it slightly change performance?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
And 3 down on Hard. Some stats for all three:

Enemies defeated:

UC1 - 777
UC2 - 958
UC3 - 720

Playtime:

UC1 - 6:32 with 124 restarts
UC2 - 9:33 with 94 restarts
UC3 - 7:24 with 105 restarts

Hand to hand kills:

UC1 - 22
UC2 - 83
UC3 - 121

I was surprised to see 2 was a pretty significant chunk longer than the other two, especially considering it's the one I know my way around the best. Also threw in hand to hand since I figured 3 had a lot even relative to it having the lowest amount of killed enemies in the end. Gonna upload some videos and make a bigger overall post about them.

drotahorror

Do you just get automatic access to the U4 beta if you have the game in your collection? I pre ordered digital but never saw a code or anything. Not sure how they're doing it.

Darknight

Do you just get automatic access to the U4 beta if you have the game in your collection? I pre ordered digital but never saw a code or anything. Not sure how they're doing it.

Even with a disc, it says to press options on game and download beta. Everyone can do this so should Digital owners. I can guarantee you even gamers who buy it used will be able to play. All you need is to own the game at the time of the beta. (So even rent, play beta would work)

DirtyLarry

When I was 9 years old in 1983 I beat Pitfall on the Atari 2600 and took a Polaroid picture of the end screen to send it to Activision to supposedly get a patch for beating the game.
I never got the patch, which still irks me to this day, but I can sincerely and truly say it was that moment in time that solidified my very long relationship with video games which still continues to this day.
Keeping the above in mind, I can easily say for my own personal preference of gaming Uncharted is my favorite console series ever made. And I have played many of them on many different consoles.
It just hits all the right notes for me.
And to be really honest, it is the modern day equivalent of Pitfall for me.

So I finished Drake's Fortune last night and also started playing UC2. Got to Chapter 5
For DF, this is my 3rd time playing it since it has been released.
For AT this will be my 4th time playing it since it has been released.
It is actually amazing how much I enjoyed replaying DF considering its age.
It is also amazing how good AT looks, also considering its age, even when comparing it to games released for just this generation.
Bluepoint has done a truly stellar job with this remaster.
However they happened to have the luxury of some amazing damn games to serve as their template.
I may be most excited to replay UC3 again as it is the only one I played just once.

What a fucking series. What a damn fine remaster.
It really is probably my GOAT when all is said and done.

Revven

Playing Uncharted 2 on the
train where you have to hand-to-hand the boss
. Stupidly hard, at least for me.

Just
shoot his head until his helmet falls off and then go in for melee. You may have to melee him a few times to reset to neutral in between until his helmet is knocked off, though.

I think I'll start UC3 tonight. Really curious what skins UC3 has and how much better the aiming will feel compared to the patched version on PS3.

First time Player here, already mentioned That i enjoyed the first game very much. been playing the second game all evening and took a break now. i often read it and its true... every Single aspect of this game is way above the first One. So incredible especially if you play it directly after the first one.

It's gonna be tough stepping into U4 @ 30 after coming off this buttery smooch 60 gameplay with the remasters. Hopefully U4 is 30 99.9% of the time... Would be sad for it to perform like countless last gen titles that frequently delved into the low 20s.

psychotron

It's gonna be tough stepping into U4 @ 30 after coming off this buttery smooch 60 gameplay with the remasters. Hopefully U4 is 30 99.9% of the time... Would be sad for it to perform like countless last gen titles that frequently delved into the low 20s.

Considering they're aiming for 60 in multiplayer, I think they'll pull off a mostly solid 30 for SP.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Drake's Fortune for the first time since it released and felt all of the emotions. Was shocked at how much I remembered, including all of the hidden away treasures, and the music playing over the credits felt so great and familiar. Knocked it out on Crushing first try and now I'm debating whether to focus on the Platinum or move on to the second and third games.

Just seen that there are loads of stats as well. Here are my numbers for Drake's Fortune on Crushing:

5:40:04
949 enemies defeated
305 headshots (7 in a row max)
45 killed in a row without dying
142 restarts (Jesus, didn't feel like that at all)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It wreaked havoc on the narrative, you can tangibly feel it start to slide off the rails.

I wish the U3 team had gotten a shot to fully realize what they had in mind.

It's a shame because the ideas in the game have so much potential. For all the focus in marketing on the desert it's really brief in the actual game.

When I was 9 years old in 1983 I beat Pitfall on the Atari 2600 and took a Polaroid picture of the end screen to send it to Activision to supposedly get a patch for beating the game.
I never got the patch, which still irks me to this day, but I can sincerely and truly say it was that moment in time that solidified my very long relationship with video games which still continues to this day.
Keeping the above in mind, I can easily say for my own personal preference of gaming Uncharted is my favorite console series ever made. And I have played many of them on many different consoles.
It just hits all the right notes for me.
And to be really honest, it is the modern day equivalent of Pitfall for me.

So I finished Drake's Fortune last night and also started playing UC2. Got to Chapter 5
For DF, this is my 3rd time playing it since it has been released.
For AT this will be my 4th time playing it since it has been released.
It is actually amazing how much I enjoyed replaying DF considering its age.
It is also amazing how good AT looks, also considering its age, even when comparing it to games released for just this generation.
Bluepoint has done a truly stellar job with this remaster.
However they happened to have the luxury of some amazing damn games to serve as their template.
I may be most excited to replay UC3 again as it is the only one I played just once.

What a fucking series. What a damn fine remaster.
It really is probably my GOAT when all is said and done.
I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing. I love how games can resonate so deeply on an emotional level with people. One person's "bah, it's just a linear game with no mechanics" is another person's throwback and evolution of their classic favorites.

DaMan121

So how was the ending of UC1 received back in the day,
the game basically turning into Resident Evil
? Not sure how I feel about it honestly. Overall it was above average/good, having played TR2013 recently, it is much less refined platforming and shooting wise.

? Not sure how I feel about it honestly. Overall it was above average/good, having played TR2013 recently, it is much less refined platforming and shooting wise.
Loved it. Conversation turned to people realizing it was all hinted at very strongly throughout the game.

I liked the twist and it completely changed the pace of gameplay making it a little fresher (if that makes sense).
Interestingly, I was thinking the opposite. Just got to chapter 7 and I can't stop thinking about how much better this game is/was compared to TR2013.

It fit the tone of the game perfectly and had multiple hints dropped throughout the game. It also forces players to change up their playstyle for a bit, which is always interesting.

Elitist1945

Surprised to say so far in this collection Uncharted 2's gameplay is worse than Uncharted 1. Which I don't remember being the case in the original releases, but I've died/failed countless times in UC2 because Drake doesn't go where you want/think he will.

IndustryX

Surprised to say so far in this collection Uncharted 2's gameplay is worse than Uncharted 1. Which I don't remember being the case in the original releases, but I've died/failed countless times in UC2 because Drake doesn't go where you want/think he will.

erm... I'm sorry but that is just false. UC2 controls 5x better for me personally.

Alo0oy

Banned
Sleepwalked my way through the first five chapters of UC3 on Crushing. What a boring start. And I know there's even more forced walks coming *shudder*

Forced walks are Naughty Dog's style, while I love them, unfortunately they get boring after the second or third time, they were especially common in Uncharted 3 & The Last of Us. That's why Uncharted 2 is more fun when replayed.

I wish they'd add something like "Arcade mode" or something like that when you beat the game, removing all the cutscenes & walking/talking sections.

So after you beat UC 1 on hard difficulty, you can unlock cheats like "Infinite ammo" and "One shot kills".

My question is whether you can enable these for a second playthrough on Brutal, and whether or not that will count towards beating it on Brutal?

Forced walks are Naughty Dog's style, while I love them, unfortunately they get boring after the second or third time, they were especially common in Uncharted 3 & The Last of Us. That's why Uncharted 2 is more fun when replayed.

I wish they'd add something like "Arcade mode" or something like that when you beat the game, removing all the cutscenes & walking/talking sections.

Just to clarify, I actually do appreciate the content I assume they're slowing me down to consume. But I would much rather take in that stuff at my own pace. If there's something awesome to look at, or the characters are having interesting banter, I'll definitely slow down to engage with that stuff (at least on a first runthrough). Just don't force me to.

Yeah, an arcade mode would be immensely appreciated.

So after you beat UC 1 on hard difficulty, you can unlock cheats like "Infinite ammo" and "One shot kills".

My question is whether you can enable these for a second playthrough on Brutal, and whether or not that will count towards beating it on Brutal?

Probably not, you can't turn on cheats in Crushing.

zsynqx

I felt TLOU was pretty conservative in its use of forced walks. Most of the time you had at least a light jog with only a few exceptions.

Yopis

Just finished Drake's Fortune for the first time since it released and felt all of the emotions. Was shocked at how much I remembered, including all of the hidden away treasures, and the music playing over the credits felt so great and familiar. Knocked it out on Crushing first try and now I'm debating whether to focus on the Platinum or move on to the second and third games.

Just seen that there are loads of stats as well. Here are my numbers for Drake's Fortune on Crushing:

5:40:04
949 enemies defeated
305 headshots (7 in a row max)
45 killed in a row without dying
142 restarts (Jesus, didn't feel like that at all)

Good run.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I wish someone went to the guys at Epic who started that "force walk" nonsense in Gears 1 and just fire them, fire them good.

Gray Matter

Man, this game just pissed me off. I started playing UC2 on normal and decided to pump it to hard (so I can unlock the infinite ammo and one shit kills tweaks to get the platinum easier) in the very first chapter. Beat the game but didn't unlock all the tweaks.

Suck bullshit. In the original trilogy the tweaks were unlocked some other way.

Lingitiz

I wish someone went to the guys at Epic who started that "force walk" nonsense in Gears 1 and just fire them, fire them good.

Don't forget the Naughty Dog patented team lifts and boosting people up certain cliffs. Always so weird that their games are full of those. I assume it's a loading solution.

Just to clarify, I actually do appreciate the content I assume they're slowing me down to consume. But I would much rather take in that stuff at my own pace. If there's something awesome to look at, or the characters are having interesting banter, I'll definitely slow down to engage with that stuff (at least on a first runthrough). Just don't force me to.

Yeah, an arcade mode would be immensely appreciated.

You know what's so funny about this forced walking stuff: I'm playing through UC1 right now and I just walk a lot of the time. Straight up strolling when I'm not in combat, taking in the scenery and admiring Bluepoint's hard work. Whyyyyyyy do devs feel the need to force that on me though? So annoying.

Revven

Just had my first crash in any of the games tonight, it was UC3 and right when I was grabbing the ladder to get out of
the burning chateau when the in-game cutscene triggers
. It crashed right as soon as the in-game cutscene was going to start.

Don't know if it was because I was using a skin or because I might have skipped a trigger before you get to the ladder. I'd have to try it again with a skin because I finished it without one.

Oh and speaking of skins, two things I noticed (one of which is surprising in a bad way and the other isn't so much surprising but disappointing):

1) In UC3, character skins do not get wet unlike in UC2 where every skin gets wet now. In addition, this includes even Drake skins -- things like UDF Drake and Nepal Drake. Normal Nathan Drake, obviously, is fine. I didn't get a chance to test Desert Drake but I assume that skin is also fine... but I'll make sure when I go back in and find some water to test it on lol.

This is surprising considering what they did with the UC2 skins because every skin in UC2, besides Drake ones, couldn't get wet in the original release but for this release they went and put them on-par with Drake's skins + gave them added voice clips instead of using all of Drake's voice clips (borrowing the voice clips from MP, of course).

Now, the reason for this ties into the second thing I noticed.

2) The skins are largely based on the UC3 multiplayer skins, which means the body models are... well... kind of not-as-good looking. Particularly, the skins that aren't UC3 origin such as Nepal Drake and UDF Drake (though UDF Drake actually looks mostly fine). But one thing immediately apparent with the non-UC3 Drake skins are that the faces are definitely the UC3 MP faces and not the higher quality single player faces. It's really jarring to go from the higher quality single player Drake face model to the much lower quality UC3 MP face model. That said, they did at least fix the hair in that it is using the higher quality single player hair and not the terrible MP hair (at least for the Drake skins I've tried). Also, when I tried the Desert Drake skin... I found it's actually the terrible multiplayer version which has this weird darkened brown texture on one of Drake's elbows that's not on the original single player model. :(

I can't say I'm surprised by the above because there was no way they were going to just take, say, the actual UC2 single player model and import it into UC3 when there's already a UC2 Nepal Drake model in UC3's MP. I am surprised that none of the skins (that I've tried, which are Drake skins while even in UC2's original release Drake skins got wet) get wet when touching water. The only explanation I have for this is that because they're using the MP models and the MP models never could get wet (because it wasn't a feature in MP) so the models don't have a wet version (or rather, the effect used simply couldn't be applied to these skins for whatever reason).

It's a minor thing but to go from being 100% perfect in UC2 in handling skins in this very collection to two steps back behind the original release of UC2 and even UC1 on PS3 with the skins in UC3 is kind of strange and disappointing to me. That said, I'm still happy the skins are there... because playing as Young Sully will be incredible as well as Doughnut Drake but man... that detail not being there again when it's there in UC2 for all the skins is bothersome. :/

Top Bottom