• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Rated-G

WRT brutal mode why shouldn't they include it? The only real question is whether people want a harder mode, it isn't for me - i usually play on normal, but options are cool.

Playing uncharted 2 and it looks ridiculous in places.

On another note, which motion blur option is best for you guys? I genuinely have no idea.

It's just not fun. When Naughty Dog added Grounded to The Last of Us it actually felt intense because it took away your situational awareness in both your listen mode and your hud. It made it so you had to rely on watching Joel's posture to know how much health you had left, it requires patience and skill in resource management, stealth, and ammo preservation. It felt like it required you to be firing on all cylinders in regards to combat.

Brutal, on the other hand, requires you to have some incredibly quick reflexes. Unless you're taking advantage of the unlimited ammo from having the Golden 92FS and Golden AK from preorder, you have to be able to line up head shots with little to no prep time because all it takes is one or two half assed shots from any one enemy to take you out. Rather than requiring you to employ everything you know about each combat area and the weapons available to you, it feels like the only real way to get through this is by standing back as far as you can and picking off enemies... Or in some cases, as I've found, skipping combat altogether by rolling, and hoping luck is on your side to skip past the enemies and trigger he next cutscene, as I did in the fight just before
you find Sully prattling off to some of the henchmen in the library.
There are several places where you're left at the game's mercy, waiting for a lucky opportunity to reach the next checkpoint. Out of the Frying Pan is a great example of this, as sometimes there's just nothing you can do, you're forced to take shots you can't prevent and hope they don't happen next time.

At least on Crushing, even with Drake's Fortune's much more limited toolset at your disposal, it feels like a fun and satisfying challenge that allows you to take advantage of everything you've learned. It feels like it takes skill and comprehension, as opposed to luck and a love for punishment.

I guess really the problem is this doesn't feel balanced at all, it's hard for the sake of difficulty and not for the sake of fun and challenge. It sounds like they took the fact that only one QA member could best it as a point of pride, and I guess that's cool for them, but even before trying this for myself the idea of that kind of raised a red flag. I remember working at Gearbox we tried that same method for one of the raid bosses in Borderlands 2, and it didn't go over well, and took a ton of back and forth between programmers and QA to find a happy medium for something that felt good without feeling laced with contempt for the player.

I don't mean to say that Brutal feels like it was made with contempt for the player, far from it, but it does feel like it could have used balancing and thought beyond pushing the damage numbers to the limit and making ammo more scarce. IF Naughty Dog decides to use this idea and employ it in Uncharted 4, I would hope that it would benefit from being designed from the ground up rather than having been implemented into an already finished game.

I'm pretty satisfied with how Crushing feels, but if Brutal in Uncharted 4 means Crushing's damage numbers with maybe more enemies, more advanced behavior, or different spawn patterns, something that forces the player to keep moving, think vertically, and mix stealth, melee, and gunplay without punishing them for leaving cover... something designed to test the player's skill beyond having the spawns memorized and being able to pull off consistent head shots, I'd be much happier and more likely to replay the game on Brutal like I already do the previous games on Crushing. I'd also be perfectly happy with just keeping Crushing as is and leaving it at that, since multiplayer in 4 will likely have my attention.

Maybe I'm just one fan of this series, with an opinion way off base and out of touch with the rest of the players, I don't know, I'm not sure how Brutal's being received or if others are considering it fun and satisfying, but as someone who's put a little over a thousand hours into just the single player of these games, that's my two... More like thirty-nine cents on the matter... Sorry for the wall of text.

And to anyone from Bluepoint lurking in this thread. That all may sound really negative, but on the whole, I love everything you've done with this collection, and I'm so glad these games were put in the right hands. Thank you for giving others the opportunity to experience these games for the first time, or the umpteenth as in my case.

It's just not fun. When Naughty Dog added Grounded to The Last of Us it actually felt intense because it took away your situational awareness in both your listen mode and your hud. It made it so you had to rely on watching Joel's posture to know how much health you had left, it requires patience and skill in resource management, stealth, and ammo preservation. It felt like it required you to be firing on all cylinders in regards to combat.

Brutal, on the other hand, requires you to have some incredibly quick reflexes. Unless you're taking advantage of the unlimited ammo from having the Golden 92FS and Golden AK from preorder, you have to be able to line up head shots with little to no prep time because all it takes is one or two half assed shots from any one enemy to take you out. Rather than requiring you to employ everything you know about each combat area and the weapons available to you, it feels like the only real way to get through this is by standing back as far as you can and picking off enemies... Or in some cases, as I've found, skipping combat altogether by rolling, and hoping luck is on your side to skip past the enemies and trigger he next cutscene, as I did in the fight just before
you find Sully prattling off to some of the henchmen in the library.
There are several places where you're left at the game's mercy, waiting for a lucky opportunity to reach the next checkpoint. Out of the Frying Pan is a great example of this, as sometimes there's just nothing you can do, you're forced to take shots you can't prevent and hope they don't happen next time.

At least on Crushing, even with Drake's Fortune's much more limited toolset at your disposal, it feels like a fun and satisfying challenge that allows you to take advantage of everything you've learned. It feels like it takes skill and comprehension, as opposed to luck and a love for punishment.

I guess really the problem is this doesn't feel balanced at all, it's hard for the sake of difficulty and not for the sake of fun and challenge. It sounds like they took the fact that only one QA member could best it as a point of pride, and I guess that's cool for them, but even before trying this for myself the idea of that kind of raised a red flag. I remember working at Gearbox we tried that same method for one of the raid bosses in Borderlands 2, and it didn't go over well, and took a ton of back and forth between programmers and QA to find a happy medium for something that felt good without feeling laced with contempt for the player.

I don't mean to say that Brutal feels like it was made with contempt for the player, far from it, but it does feel like it could have used balancing and thought beyond pushing the damage numbers to the limit and making ammo more scarce. IF Naughty Dog decides to use this idea and employ it in Uncharted 4, I would hope that it would benefit from being designed from the ground up rather than having been implemented into an already finished game.

I'm pretty satisfied with how Crushing feels, but if Brutal in Uncharted 4 means Crushing's damage numbers with maybe more enemies, more advanced behavior, or different spawn patterns, something that forces the player to keep moving, think vertically, and mix stealth, melee, and gunplay without punishing them for leaving cover... something designed to test the player's skill beyond having the spawns memorized and being able to pull off consistent head shots, I'd be much happier and more likely to replay the game on Brutal like I already do the previous games on Crushing. I'd also be perfectly happy with just keeping Crushing as is and leaving it at that, since multiplayer in 4 will likely have my attention.

Maybe I'm just one fan of this series, with an opinion way off base and out of touch with the rest of the players, I don't know, I'm not sure how Brutal's being received or if others are considering it fun and satisfying, but as someone who's put a little over a thousand hours into just the single player of these games, that's my two... More like thirty-nine cents on the matter... Sorry for the wall of text.

And to anyone from Bluepoint lurking in this thread. That all may sound really negative, but on the whole, I love everything you've done with this collection, and I'm so glad these games were put in the right hands. Thank you for giving others the opportunity to experience these games for the first time, or the umpteenth as in my case.
Fair enough :) I wasn't criticising to be clear, just making the point that some people love this kind of thing. From what I've seen (especially that scene from uncharted one very late on) it looks OTT and probably should have been scaled back quite a bit in difficulty.

I think they probably did add it in order to add longevity in this case and make the collection more appealing to those who had played them before, but overall I think you're probably just about right on it.

Gray Matter

No, you can only activate the tweaks for the difficulty you beat the game on or lower.

AFAIK you need to get medals by finding treasures and doing the 'challenges' to unlock all rewards. Originally you'd get money then unlock the rewards, it seems to be similar now, only there's no money anymore.

I'm the remaster it unlocks by at least beating the game on hard, which I technically did, it just didn't honor it because I changed the difficulty in the first chapter.

Rated-G

Fair enough :) I wasn't criticising to be clear, just making the point that some people love this kind of thing. From what I've seen (especially that scene from uncharted one very late on) it looks OTT and probably should have been scaled back quite a bit in difficulty.

I think they probably did add it in order to add longevity in this case and make the collection more appealing to those who had played them before, but overall I think you're probably just about right on it.

Oh, don't worry I didn't take it that way at all. But yeah as far as the longevity aspect goes, you're probably right. I think I'm just a bit underwhelmed because I was hoping for a challenge more akin to The Last of Us' Grounded difficulty, as opposed to this which seems to cater more toward ... Well, apparently a very different kind of Uncharted player from myself.

I'll admit though, I do like the Speed Run mode a lot more than I intended, and I'm absolutely not into speed running. I did have fun going for the 2.5 hour trophy though.

Footos22

Please don't quote papercuts post. Its super long. Not thread shitting but having to scroll for ages as people want to quote instead of just reply is annoying.

Nm: is just on my phone cos of embedded youtube.

wouwie

I hesitated in buying this collection since i played the original games a lot on PS3 (except UC3). I'm currently playing UC1 (heading to the monestary and not looking forward to the last chapters) and i'm having fun again. I do however remember almost everything about the game, including cutscenes and dialogue. But that is a testament of how much i played and liked these games when they were released all those years ago.

For some reason, hard doesn't seem all that hard and it definately feels less difficult than i remembered. I assume the difficulty was dialed down? I died more from platforming than shoot-outs so far which is surprising.

Anyway, i'm having fun and i'm glad i bought the collection. It's nice to have one my favourite franchises on PS4 in a slightly better version. I look forward to playing UC2 and 3 after finishing UC1.

MAX PAYMENT

I never liked uncharted 1 to begin with, but wow, it has not aged well.

The jungle looks weird as hell. Angular and sort of avatar-esque. Drake controls awkwardly and the enemies aren't even close to fun to fight.

It's been a while since I've played any of them, but I remember the best moments of 2, and I'm really looking forward to getting to them. However, I'm insisting on playing them in order... so it feels like it will take me forever to get through 1 because it just cannot hold my attention.

xrnzaaas

Go hunt the treasures in normal mode now. You can experiment a really different way to play by running and gunning (and punching) a lot more than in crushing mode, because you can take much more bullets. It's pretty fun to take down ennemys like that.

Yeah, I already got them. :) I've decided to play with a collectibles guide after I've noticed how well they're hidden. In a lot of cases it's impossible to find them simply by doing a standard sweep of a location you've just cleared. I've got the three speedruns to do (the single level ones) and some kill x bad guys using y methods trophies left.

sensi97

WRT brutal mode why shouldn't they include it? The only real question is whether people want a harder mode, it isn't for me - i usually play on normal, but options are cool.
It's ok with these remasters because it's a bonus but they should really tune it correctly if they want to include it in UC4. Some parts are completely broken and/or RNG dependent.

So, I played UC1 5 times on the PS3 and I never noticed this:

Uncharted_%20The%20Nathan%20Drake%20Collectiontrade_20151015212144.png

God bless those 1080p.
It reads:

Si su textura esta piedra sepulcral el su ir al extremo para abajo arriba

Si usted está leyendo esta piedra sepulcral, usted es un nerd enorme. Consiga por favor una vida y consiga el exterior.

In the first paragraph, the spanish is really messed up so I can´t really make out anything coherent, but the second one translates to:

If you are reading this sepulchral stone, you are huge nerd. Please get yourself a life a go outside (LOL)

You can find this in the mausoleum at chapter 15, if you want check it out.

Shin-Ra

So, I played UC1 5 times on the PS3 and I never noticed this:

Uncharted_%20The%20Nathan%20Drake%20Collectiontrade_20151015212144.png

God bless those 1080p.
It reads:

Si su textura esta piedra sepulcral el su ir al extremo para abajo arriba

Si usted está leyendo esta piedra sepulcral, usted es un nerd enorme. Consiga por favor una vida y consiga el exterior.

In the first paragraph, the spanish is really messed up so I can´t really make out anything coherent, but the second one translates to:

If you are reading this sepulchral stone, you are huge nerd. Please get yourself a life a go outside (LOL)

You can find this in the mausoleum at chapter 15, if you want check it out.
It was spotted in the original and some people actually took offence!

psychotron

I never liked uncharted 1 to begin with, but wow, it has not aged well.

The jungle looks weird as hell. Angular and sort of avatar-esque. Drake controls awkwardly and the enemies aren't even close to fun to fight.

It's been a while since I've played any of them, but I remember the best moments of 2, and I'm really looking forward to getting to them. However, I'm insisting on playing them in order... so it feels like it will take me forever to get through 1 because it just cannot hold my attention.

I simply don't agree. I completely respect your opinion but it's crazy how divisive DF seems to be. I absolutely love it, while others can't stand it.

Xeilyn

Ïm now done with all 3 games, Bluepoint did a great job with this, really impressed. Felt great going back to these and i still think U2 is one of the best games ever made, perfect pacing.

As for U1 and U3 i still enjoyed them but i honestly disliked 3 more than i thought i would, its really obvious when you play them back to back like this that 3 just doesnt cut it compared to 2

All in all they are still great games and i cant wait for U4

Revven

On Brutal: Personally, I would love a new difficulty mode but Brutal isn't what I wanted.

What I wanted out of a harder difficulty above Crushing was the following:

1) Remixed combat arenas. What that means is, replacing enemies... this is a trademark of Platinum Games' highest difficulty modes (think Revengeance in Metal Gear Rising or Infinite Climax in Bayonetta 1 and 2). This means putting, say, armored guys in Chapter 3/4 of Uncharted 2, for example, instead of the regular grunts. Or, putting a few Riot Shield guys with some snipers or rocket launcher guys. This would at least, certainly, be more fair than Brutal but also still difficult and gives the arenas something new. And you could even make more use of some enemy types that aren't very common until the very end of the game (such as the GAU guys).

2) AI improvements. Make them more aggressive, whether that means shooting more often or getting in closer to Drake's position.

3) Health would be on-par with Crushing, no less than that.

4) Regeneration of health could be slower but I'm not too keen on it because for remixed combat arenas you'll need to be able to move around so having the default health regen would be ideal.

And.... I think that's it. Low ammo doesn't really belong in Uncharted to be honest and all it does is force you to drop your existing weapon, pick up another, and then pick up a fresh weapon of the previous one you had to get full ammo of it. It's not really challenging the player on anything other than how well they can get headshots.

So, if they were to add another difficulty level to Uncharted 4 and called it Brutal but it made the above changes to the game I would be much happier with it. It would be way more interesting and fun all the while providing a good challenge.

If only Arne or other Naughty Dog guys read this thread... like come on, it's begging to be done! They're the only dev team that makes a TPS which pushes the player to move around and engage the enemies in combat and figure out how to tackle the arenas. If you remix the arenas with different enemies on a higher difficulty that forces new interaction with that arena! So come onnnnnnn, please do it. D:

So I'm probably not too far off from reaching the last few chapters in UC2. Taking a break for now as I played quite a lot last night.

I'll be posting impressions as a UC series newbie. Needless to say yes the jump from UC1 to UC2 is pretty damn big but it doesn't make UC1 a bad game.

Endo Punk

Playing the games again recently I really feel time has not been kind to them especially the first one. Wide linear all the way for me unless the games have deep rewarding gameplay. These once great games feel very typical and by the numbers now. Playing one after the other feels like a chore because ultimately they all feel the same beat for beat. TLOU gameplay and level design really did spoil me and looking at UC4 its the best thing to happen to the franchise.

hbkdx12

On Brutal: Personally, I would love a new difficulty mode but Brutal isn't what I wanted.

1) Remixed combat arenas. What that means is, replacing enemies... this is a trademark of Platinum Games' highest difficulty modes (think Revengeance in Metal Gear Rising or Infinite Climax in Bayonetta 1 and 2). This means putting, say, armored guys in Chapter 3/4 of Uncharted 2, for example, instead of the regular grunts. Or, putting a few Riot Shield guys with some snipers or rocket launcher guys. This would at least, certainly, be more fair than Brutal but also still difficult and gives the arenas something new. And you could even make more use of some enemy types that aren't very common until the very end of the game (such as the GAU guys).

2) AI improvements. Make them more aggressive, whether that means shooting more often or getting in closer to Drake's position.

4) Regeneration of health could be slower but I'm not too keen on it because for remixed combat arenas you'll need to be able to move around so having the default health regen would be ideal.

And.... I think that's it. Low ammo doesn't really belong in Uncharted to be honest and all it does is force you to drop your existing weapon, pick up another, and then pick up a fresh weapon of the previous one you had to get full ammo of it. It's not really challenging the player on anything other than how well they can get headshots.

So, if they were to add another difficulty level to Uncharted 4 and called it Brutal but it made the above changes to the game I would be much happier with it. It would be way more interesting and fun all the while providing a good challenge.

If only Arne or other Naughty Dog guys read this thread... like come on, it's begging to be done! They're the only dev team that makes a TPS which pushes the player to move around and engage the enemies in combat and figure out how to tackle the arenas. If you remix the arenas with different enemies on a higher difficulty that forces new interaction with that arena! So come onnnnnnn, please do it. D:

The crazy thing is that this is exactly how they scaled the difficulty in co-op in UC2. Doing co-op on crushing greeted you with heavily armored guys that could only be easily taken down with headshots (or break their neck if you were lucky enough to get behind them). And they were pretty aggressive in closing in on your position given that they were so heavily armored so im not sure why they didn't apply the same philosophy to the difficulty system.

So is the new brutal difficulty just a "enemies do even more damage to you" mode with no other significant changes?

Alo0oy

Banned

Agreed. One/two hit death & limited ammo shouldn't be anywhere near Uncharted, those two features basically make Uncharted...not Uncharted.

Revven

The crazy thing is that this is exactly how they scaled the difficulty in co-op in UC2. Doing co-op on crushing greeted you with heavily armored guys that could only be easily taken down with headshots (or break their neck if you were lucky enough to get behind them). And they were pretty aggressive in closing in on your position given that they were so heavily armored so im not sure why they didn't apply the same philosophy to the difficulty system.

So is the new brutal difficulty just a "enemies do even more damage to you" mode with no other significant changes?

Oh yeah, you're right but the reason why it's like that is because MP is developed by different guys within Naughty Dog iirc. But that shouldn't prevent them from taking that idea and using it for SP. :/

As for Brutal, yeah it's basically 2 shots = death, low ammo, and health regen is slower.

cyba89

I'm at chapter 9 in Uncharted 3 right now and don't like it so much. The
kid and London sections
were kinda boring.
The Chateau
was a bit more interesting, but the
Syria
part where I am right now is really bland again. Story also doesn't grab me right now.

The controls don't feel so good. I'm constantly running into and getting blocked by my companions and it's getting annoying,
And the worst is the shooting. The enemies don't react at all when I hit them. It feels really bad and I don't understand why this is changed. Shooting was fine for me in U1 and U2. I'm also not a big fan of the new melee combat system.

I'm having less fun right now than I had with Uncharted 1. At the moment it feels like a big step back from the great Uncharted 2. I really hope it gets better in the second half.

zsynqx

I'm at chapter 9 in Uncharted 3 right now and don't like it so much. The
kid and London sections
were kinda boring.
The Chateau
was a bit more interesting, but the
Syria
part where I am right now is really bland again. Story also doesn't grab me right now.

The controls don't feel so good. I'm constantly running into and getting blocked by my companions and it's getting annoying,
And the worst is the shooting. The enemies don't react at all when I hit them. It feels really bad and I don't understand why this is changed. Shooting was fine for me in U1 and U2. I'm also not a big fan of the new melee combat system.

I'm having less fun right now than I had with Uncharted 1. At the moment it feels like a big step back from the great Uncharted 2. I really hope it gets better in the second half.

The
syria
environment is probably the blandest in the whole franchise.

Playing through uncharted 3 again, my god i wish bluepoint spent longer trying to fix this mess of a game.
I know they can't fix the pacing and story but they really should have tried to fix the shooting and enemy sponges, not only does shooting them do nothing half the time, but they also run straight at you almost always.The aiming is a lot better now than ps3 version but the rest is a mess.
It's amazing just how bad the third game is compared to the others(especially 2)

Hmm...really strange. I'm currently playing UC3 again and I don't have (never had) any problems with "shooting" and enemy sponges. I don't think it's worse than UC2 or UC1. Also, I can't see any pacing problems in UC3.

Sirenty

... long post

All the points you mention on 3 are what makes me rank it way below the other 3 games. When I originally played 1 and 2, I played on hard and then turned around and played them again immediately on crushing, then platinumed both. I was so excited for 3.

When 3 actually came out, and I ran into the issues you mentioned (aiming, no enemy reactions, guys keeping lasers sighted on you even though you are shooting them, constant bull rushes and melee), I stopped my hard playthrough halfway through because it was such a slog. It took me over a month to go back and actually finish the game. And I haven't touched it since because it left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I've beaten 1 and 2 on crushing and have almost platinumed both again in the remaster. I'm debating 3 though. I was hoping they made some changes to some of these things, but it sounds like they only fixed aiming. Ugh.

Revven

Playing through uncharted 3 again, my god i wish bluepoint spent longer trying to fix this mess of a game.
I know they can't fix the pacing and story but they really should have tried to fix the shooting and enemy sponges, not only does shooting them do nothing half the time, but they also run straight at you almost always.The aiming is a lot better now than ps3 version but the rest is a mess.
It's amazing just how bad the third game is compared to the others(especially 2)

Really, it comes down to this:

They probably had the option to do animation changes (which is what hit reactions are, animation changes/additions) but because the other two games don't have as clear glaring issues with animations + probably lack of good documentation on animations for UC1 they likely drew this line where "Okay, if we can't do animation updates for UC1 then the other games can't get any animation changes or additions either." Because if they did it for one game, then it would be expected to happen for the others -- inconsistency and all would be bad.

On top of this, they probably couldn't very easily port the animations from UC2 to UC3 because the enemy models are different and likely have different animation trees as well, they'd probably have to change a lot when their time was already stretched thin enough doing model upgrades, texture upgrades, shooting upgrades for UC1 (and even UC3) and making all three games 60 FPS. Not to mention, they went on record having to completely redo Uncharted 1's cutscenes because of ND's poor documentation of UC1. That's not a small amount of time or effort used.

Frankly, I'm pretty sure UC1 took most of the work out of the three. Just judging by what Arne said about getting the sound effects back for UC1 was a crap ton of time used: 4 months to be precise! 4 months of time gone trying to get sound effects (of course, that didn't probably pause work for other parts of the game but still, just for something like that a chunk of time was put into getting the old SFX cleared for a re-release).

I mean, the enemies kind of have some hit reaction animations but they aren't common enough and tend to happen randomly (from what I've noticed). Chances are, however they are coded it would be a mess for Bluepoint to even attempt to address it.

Hmm...really strange. I'm currently playing UC3 again and I don't have (never had) any problems with "shooting" and enemy sponges. I don't think it's worse than UC2 or UC1. Also, I can't see any pacing problems in UC3.

It's not really the shooting jtself, it's how enemies simply do not react to bullets being put into them. They never wobble their bodies or stop shooting you most of the time. It's easy to miss this (I know I did when I first played through UC3) but if you watch them closely while you're shooting them it's very blatant. They are "bullet sponges" in the other sense of the phrase: they just tank bullets and keep moving, they will die early but they don't react at all.

zsynqx

It's not really the shooting jtself, it's how enemies simply do not react to bullets being put into them. They never wobble their bodies or stop shooting you most of the time. It's easy to miss this (I know I did when I first played through UC3) but if you watch them closely while you're shooting them it's very blatant. They are "bullet sponges" in the other sense of the phrase: they just tank bullets and keep moving, they will die early but they don't react at all.

Have Naughty Dog ever actually ever said that they are aware of the issues? It was such a strange design choice considering the fact that the past two games had reasonable hit reactions.

Revven

Have Naughty Dog ever actually ever said that they are aware of the issues? It was such a strange design choice considering the fact that the past two games had reasonable hit reactions.

Never have said anything about it because nobody has ever asked them, to my knowledge. The focus has always been on the aiming issues UC3 had and not the enemy reactions, unfortunately.

At least UC4 has shown to have hit reactions. So we have nothing to worry about for that game.

Vitor711

Yup - played through UC3 and couldn't tell what felt off until I saw people mentioning the lack of hit reactions. It's bizarre and also makes your guys feel so, so weak.

That, combined with the forced melee (with O being a grab and thus limiting your one way to escape the fight) really soured me on a game that I thought people had originally been overly harsh on. While I still think the set-pieces are the best in the series and the story isn't that bad, the combat really did have some bizarre changes.

I love the series because of how ridiculously over the top, goofy and action packed it is, so I just play on Normal and blast through it and have a fun time.

No bullet sponging complaints on Normal!

Certinty

Just played the first few chapters of the first game and in all honesty I enjoyed them a lot more than any of the 3 games on the PS3.

Glad I gave these games another chance, while the shooting still isn't great it's way better than what it was and that's the main reason I could never really get into the PS3 versions.

Roufianos

Damn, Chapter 20 onwards in U2 really drags on. It becomes nothing but shoot outs in the same location.

It's the first time in this collection that I haven't been having fun.

Vitor711

I love the series because of how ridiculously over the top, goofy and action packed it is, so I just play on Normal and blast through it and have a fun time.

No bullet sponging complaints on Normal!

The bullet sponge complaints are just for UC3 as enemies don't react to shots.

Enemies in UC1+2 were always easy and quick kills with headshots and could be made to flinch.

shield

That comparison isn't really consistent since the one for UC4 is a Maya render with flat lighting, as opposed to the actual in game model. Maybe use something like this instead:

Yeah I know, it was just something I made quickly to give an idea of how his face has evolved rather than an accurate comparison

Game4life

Banned
Surely that was inherent to the switch in genre in terms of the them doing away with the bombastic set-piece type gameplay. Also consider the fact that Joel is far less agile than drake so you can't have the vertical gameplay like the billboard scene. Ultimately the gameplay set ups in the Last of Us relied far more on emergent type gameplay so the variety came from playstyle as well as the differences between Human and Infected encounters. I would argue that there are still some scenarios which altar things up, like defending the car in Bills, avoiding the Turret Truck in Pittsburgh, the Sniper section in Suburbs and likely many more. At the end of the day though, the less grounded world of Uncharted lends itself better to those crazy scenarios you are talking about. Luckily with Uncharted 4, they appear to be bringing over the more emergent type gameplay from TLOU and hopefully retaining the spectacle and crazy set ups from Uc2. :)

Well you can have something grounded and still come up with new scenarios. Yeah stuff like the sniper sequence is exactly what I am talking about. I just wanted more variations to the base game like that one. Look at RE4.

The game has zombies but look at how many varied and interesting scenarios Mikami provided in that game. I was hoping for some thrilling sequences with the infected in TLOU but the only one I remember was the first encounter ( because it was the first ) as well as the brilliantly designed generator room sequence. The game could have really used more variety in terms of infected enemy types as well as the infected enemy scenarios. The Ellie sequence when she first meets David was an obvious homage to the RE4 cabin sequence but fell short of RE4's greatness.

A lot of these issues didn't happen to me. Did you try sliding into cover?

This is sarcasm right? Because sliding into cover solves none of this issues he said and having recently played all three back to back for the first time I experienced the exact same issues.

I went from
U1 = fun romp
U2 = wow huge step up, great game
U3 = wtf happened.

I'm pretty sure I will be going for plat on 1 & 2 but have my doubts about bothering with 3.

Revven

Got through
Syria
and probably the only part of UC3 where stealth (besides the airport before the big plane sequence) actually matters and is intended. Most of the encounters in
Syria
leading up to where you
find the two pillars for the middle way
are able to be stealthed through but they are tricky to do consistently due to geometry and enemy patrol routes being really tight in that if you wait one second too long or don't move quick enough you pretty much need to restart at the checkpoint.

I saved some clips to show what I mean as not many people may know how
Syria
can nearly be completely stealthed through from beginning to end. It's a shame it's not intended in more places in the game besides here and what I mentioned above.

Also, really disappointed one Drake skin isn't available in UC3: the one Drake prominently wears through
Yemen, the ship graveyard, and the cruise ship
. I know it's technically Desert Drake's undershirt but come onnn why can't I use it? It's just as important to have as any other Drake skin and how it got overlooked makes me frown. Especially because they have the default Nathan Drake selectable but not this Drake. Oh well, at least they have Suited Drake.

Maybe Bluepoint could patch it in... >_>

Oh and speaking of skins again, I think I was actually wrong about the face model for Drake's skins being the lower quality MP models -- it just looked that way under certain lighting. His skins are using the higher quality face model as well, I guess his face just looks awkward under certain lighting so when I was using the skin it looked lower quality than the default Nate. Comparing them today under the same lighting showed the light shaved beard to be the same quality and everything.

But I'm not wrong about the lower quality body models being from UC3 MP. :p

Now I'm just wondering if non-Drake skins have single player heads or multiplayer heads... really close to finding out, just need 7 more treasures to unlock characters like Eddy Raja to see.

Top Bottom