• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

bojie1986

guys, i am planning to get the collection, how important is the day 1 patch? are the games unplayable without it? thanks in advance!

vio

f7yb.gif

Just not sold on his new look.

Sully has reached that "i`m too old for this shit" age. That is all.

Another good example of nice hit reactions in Uc4

https://youtu.be/SHXUBTVRSyg?t=116 @1:56
Let's be realistic, if enemies reacted like that from getting hit and yet kept coming at you, I'd be worried they already found the secret sauce from the treasure.

I think UC3 was meant to put the enemies on your level where they absorb bullets and push forward just like you can. And if you use proper head canon, the greying screen isn't you suffering from bullet injuries but anxiety/fear from being nearly shot in a gun fight. So maybe your non-fatal shots aren't "actually" connecting either.

Edit: this isn't meant to be a serious defence but seeing that made me question why hit reaction was needed against humans if the initial shots weren't fatal/crippling.

x-Lundz-x

Never played UC before...about 60% through UC1 and it feels tedious. Walk into a room, firefight, traverse, rinse repeat. So tired of walking 10 feet to mow 5 more bad guys down.

The story and characters make it worth it. Just grind it out and take a break if need be before going into UC2, it's a masterpiece. It's worth it trust us!

bombshell

guys, i am planning to get the collection, how important is the day 1 patch? are the games unplayable without it? thanks in advance!

Not at all needed before you start.

In fact Digital Foundry praised pretty much everything in these 3 remasters based on the unpatched versions. The patch only has minor framerate improvements to an already almost locked 60 fps.

Yeah personally the change in art direction of u4 looks like it'll do wonders for Elena.

Also can I just say how disappointed I am that I thought for a second that Drake was from my home city and country (cartagena, colombia) and isn't?

I was all "holy shit Drake could totally be hispanic please let it be"

jvm

Gamasutra.
Finished UC1 the other night. I had forgotten so much of the ending. Not sure how long before I'm ready for UC2, but the first one was delightful.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I played the game recently, and I feel the examples expressed in that post are weird edge cases that I haven't encountered,, and don't really remember from playing on PS3 either. Except for the missing hit reactions, which I agree are shame. Combat feels mostly great with the fixed aiming and responsiveness in remaster. Yes, the enemies sometimes run up to you because they want to beat you up, but that's not really a problem, and only some enemies do this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Fuck me, Uncharted 2 looks amazing. Such a leap over UC1 (which I already knew, of course), it's silly. When you get to Borneo shit looks better than a large part of actual current gen games. UC1 was probably the more striking upgrade (since the original is comparatively weak technically and UC2 has always looked great), but still. Damn.

But yeah, they've ruined the snow interaction, haven't they? I'm sure I remember Drake leaving tracks in it on PS3, but he doesn't anymore. He just leaves a trail of loose snow on top, which quickly disappears. I'm sure it looked better on PS3. Or am I misremembering this completely?

I played the game recently, and I feel the examples expressed in that post are weird edge cases that I haven't encountered,, and don't really remember from playing on PS3 either. Except for the missing hit reactions, which I agree are shame. Combat feels mostly great with the fixed aiming and responsiveness in remaster. Yes, the enemies sometimes run up to you because they want to beat you up, but that's not really a problem, and only some enemies do this.
Enemies charging you is just as gamey as enemies reacting to (and then shrugging off) shots fired at them. I don't get that complaint.

Rated-G

Yeah personally the change in art direction of u4 looks like it'll do wonders for Elena.

Also can I just say how disappointed I am that I thought for a second that Drake was from my home city and country (cartagena, colombia) and isn't?

I was all "holy shit Drake could totally be hispanic please let it be"

At the very least, Amy Hennig did confirm in post Uncharted 3 interviews, that Nate is Hispanic. I can't recall if she said half or completely...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Enemies charging you is just as gamey as enemies reacting to (and then shrugging off) shots fired at them. I don't get that complaint.

It's a multifaceted issue when the UC3 melee is hot trash and gives you no escape options due to O now grabbing the enemy that is rushing towards you. Drake isn't equipped to properly handle the stuff they actually do.

It's also not the gameyness of it I take issue with, an enemy not reacting to bullets makes the game feel poor, which is very bad in what is primarily a TPS. You also rely on the stagger to interrupt things such as rockets being fired or the laser sights being knocked back.

Fuck me, Uncharted 2 looks amazing. Such a leap over UC1 (which I already knew, of course), it's silly. When you get to Borneo shit looks better than a large part of actual current gen games. UC1 was probably the more striking upgrade (since the original is comparatively weak technically and UC2 has always looked great), but still. Damn.

But yeah, they've ruined the snow interaction, haven't they? I'm sure I remember Drake leaving tracks in it on PS3, but he doesn't anymore. He just leaves a trail of loose snow on top, which quickly disappears. I'm sure it looked better on PS3. Or am I misremembering this completely?

The remaster still does leave tracks in the snow in the later areas, it just doesn't appear in the train area(don't remember what the PS3 one was like).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
At the very least, Amy Hennig did confirm in post Uncharted 3 interviews, that Nate is Hispanic. I can't recall if she said half or completely...
He doesn't really look it at all, especially in 4. Maybe he did a bit more in the PS3 version of UC1 (he had darker hair, etc), but not much. So at most half Hispanic, I'd say.

FranXico

He doesn't really look it at all, especially in 4. Maybe he did a bit more in the PS3 version of UC1 (he had darker hair, etc), but not much. So at most half Hispanic, I'd say.

Indeed, otherwise (Uncharted 3 spoilers)
he wouldn't even be able to convince himself that he is a descendant of Francis Drake

Just finished UC1 for the first time. Fantastic game, great story and characters, but it was just too damn long!! I hope the other games don't feel as padded. 6-8 hrs is the max for me with these types of stories. By the time we get to the point where we are in the underground with the Roman numerals and gear clockwork, I was ready to be done. Yet there was more. The 'twist' didn't bother me as much as how frequently I had to fight them. They're 'The Flood' of Uncharted.

You have it backwards. Either Ellie is Drake's daughter with Elena or Joel is Drake's son with Elena. Either or :0

After Elena, Sully, and Sam are killed during the events of U4, Nate realizes it was his lust for treasure that got them killed. He sets up a new life with the help of his other brother and raises his daughter, Sarah, that he had with Elena.

Sometime during all of this, an unknown party recovered El Dorado from the seafloor, and began researching the deadly fungus that was held inside...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just finished UC1 for the first time. Fantastic game, great story and characters, but it was just too damn long!! I hope the other games don't feel as padded. 6-8 hrs is the max for me with these types of stories. By the time we get to the point where we are in the underground with the Roman numerals and gear clockwork, I was ready to be done. Yet there was more. The 'twist' didn't bother me as much as how frequently I had to fight them. They're 'The Flood' of Uncharted.

Huh, too long? If you look in the stats what was you endtime? UC1 was always short for me, took around 6:30 hours.

After Elena, Sully, and Sam are killed during the events of U4, Nate realizes it was his lust for treasure that got them killed. He sets up a new life with the help of his other brother and raises his daughter, Sarah, that he had with Elena.

Sometime during all of this, an unknown party recovered El Dorado from the seafloor, and began researching the deadly fungus that was held inside...

Such a lust for treasure...

Whoohooo

Certinty

Didn't realise Uncharted Drake's Fortune was so short. Completed it in just over 5 hours on normal without really rushing it. Played it on easy at launch and although I barely remember anything I'm sure it was longer than that?

Daffy Duck

Didn't realise Uncharted Drake's Fortune was so short. Completed it in just over 5 hours on normal without really rushing it. Played it on easy at launch and although I barely remember anything I'm sure it was longer than that?

Same, picked it up today and played for a few hours this afternoon and I'm 52% of the way through.

Great game though, forget how good it is!

hate that they change the designs everytime..

The designs are amazing this time around and actually make sense. Everyone looks so much older, especially Sully, man it was tough seeing him like that, he legit looks like he's really frail and not in a good way either :( .

Raxus

Up to chapter 10 on Brutal. Things are starting to get easier but man some of these sections are much rougher than UC1. Luckily there is a better way to exploit ammo now.

DaMan121

The story and characters make it worth it. Just grind it out and take a break if need be before going into UC2, it's a masterpiece. It's worth it trust us!

Yep, just started UC2 and the story/presentation, plus the introduction of stealth, just puts things on another level and closer to what a 'modern' game should feel like.

SomTervo

Anybody notice how wrong Drake's mouth looks in Uncharted 2? Like he doesn't have teeth or a tongue. His mouth is just a black hole. So Flynn is flashing his ivory and Chloe's grinning away, while Drake looks like an edentulous scrotum-mouthed full.

Yep, just started UC2 and the story/presentation, plus the introduction of stealth, just puts things on another level and closer to what a 'modern' game should feel like.

Excellent :) this is what I was hoping to hear. So that I know it's not just rose tinted glasses.

Uncharted 1 is a great, though flawed little adventure. But Uncharted 2 is just... What

Uncharted 2 is significantly longer - like probably 13-14 hours on Crushing.

But it is glorious. Feels like literally the perfect length. The pacing is flawless. Uncharted 1 is a full order of magnitude lower in terms of pacing.

TL;DR: Don't worry :)

Look at her!
huml3GY.gif

In all honesty I am a huge fan of the new Elena and Drake but definitely unsure on the new Sully.

f7yb.gif

Just not sold on his new look.

I think both of these suffer from the 'characters looking more like their actors' thing. It was fucking brutal with Ocelot on MGSV - so Troy Baker. And Elena always looked quite like the actress so it's OK, but the whole shape of Sully's head/jaw is different. It's like a 100% different person.

Same thing happened in The Witcher 3, too. Geralt was perfect, but some big cast members were different in a subtle way. Triss was slightly off, but Roche looked like a 100% different person wearing the same clothes. Same with a couple of others.

Rated-G

Indeed, otherwise (Uncharted 3 spoilers)
he wouldn't even be able to convince himself that he is a descendant of Francis Drake

I believe they were going with the theory that Francis Drake had a Central American paramour, based on some letters some historians had found. It's kind of weird to suggest he doesn't look Hispanic though because... What does that even mean at this point? Latin@/Hispanic people don't really have a particular look, other than stereotypes, but we run the gamut of outward appearances.

To be honest, the initial reveal of Nate for Uncharted 4, he reminded me of Pedro Pascal. Even Sam looks like he could be two of my Uncles who are incredibly Mexican. I don't think it's anything the games are going to intentionally spell out, but it's part of the background the character was given in bible state.

Also, I finally started 2 after getting all the trophies for 1 over the past week... And man, even having played it so many times I was still awed by how great it looks coming off of Drake's Fortune, and even compared to some other games today. I wish they hadn't messed with some of the pulp novel nods and stuff but even then, everyone looks great.

Late Flag

I'm about halfway through my Crushing run of Drake's Fortune (customs house arena coming up). So much fun, even though I die an awful lot.

zsynqx

I think both of these suffer from the 'characters looking more like their actors' thing. It was fucking brutal with Ocelot on MGSV - so Troy Baker. And Elena always looked quite like the actress so it's OK, but the whole shape of Sully's head/jaw is different. It's like a 100% different person.

Same thing happened in The Witcher 3, too. Geralt was perfect, but some big cast members were different in a subtle way. Triss was slightly off, but Roche looked like a 100% different person wearing the same clothes. Same with a couple of others.

I don't think it is them looking more like the actors. Drake you can see has a very similar bone structure with the main difference being far more detail and slightly less stylized proportions. To me this looks like a very natural progression.

tumblr_m82dkmstz41qc6lago1_500.gif
JP69Jux.gif

Like you said, with Sully he seems very different with his facial structure. EDIT: Actually main difference is his hairline has improved! :p

tumblr_m8mcep4BAa1qc6lago1_500.gif
sully_by_raziel1992-d8xoplx.gif

Sorry the Sully comparison gifs aren't that great.

Revven

Anybody notice how wrong Drake's mouth looks in Uncharted 2? Like he doesn't have teeth or a tongue. His mouth is just a black hole. So Flynn is flashing his ivory and Chloe's grinning away, while Drake looks like an edentulous scrotum-mouthed full.

It's only the beginning cutscenes, later on in lighter cutscenes the inside of Drake's mouth and teeth are perfectly visible and white.

Pretty sure the early cutscenes in the PS3 ver. were the same way -- it's just much more noticeable because they did some lighting changes.

But hey if someone wants to do some comparisons instead of going off of memory that'd be swell.

A few pages back I said Drake's Fortune was a poor game - and I stand by that - but after sinking a few hours into Among Thieves I can confidently say it remains pure magic.

It is the single biggest leap from one game to another I have ever seen. Love it.

Uncharted 2 crushing, just beat the big guy on the train who had the dagger. Garbage. Horrible battle. The melee combat in this game is just way too unresponsive and gives absolutely no feedback to the player, it made this battle absolutely dreadful for me on crushing. Uncharted 4's combat needs to be tightened up about 10 times over.

zsynqx

A few pages back I said Drake's Fortune was a poor game - and I stand by that - but after sinking a few hours into Among Thieves I can confidently say it remains pure magic.

It is the single biggest leap from one game to another I have ever seen. Love it.

Between that and Assasins creed 1 to 2.

7 Chapters into Uncharted 2 and I absolutely love all the improvements they made. Also to whoever suggested using burst fire for AK47s and other semi automatic guns, I love you. I am playing so much better since I've adapted this strategy.

Probably gonna soak in some more after football.

Top Bottom