• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

x-Lundz-x

Just got my platinum on UC1 remaster. Game definitely held up better than I thought but man I can't wait to get into uncharted 2. I forgot how annoying the matrix style enemies were in the first game. I think I'll go through 2 and then take a break and do 3 a bit later after I play some of the fall games.

nib95

Banned
Syria is a weak point in UC3 for me. Up until this point I thought I was crazy for thinking the game was lacking in any way compared to the second, but Syria made me realise it's simply not as consistent. Overall Syria seems like it may have been rushed, as there are so many things about it that just feel less polished and poorly paced.

Uncharted 3 Syria Chapter issues.

• Weird cuts from gameplay to cutscene.
  • Un-characteristically short gameplay segments (literally gain control after a new segment and walk just a few metres before another cut scene starts again. The franchise barely ever does this, but in this one level it happens 3 or 4 times).
  • Several instances where you'll go through a door or walk through something before it suddenly becomes blocked behind you moments later.
  • Enemies popping out together suddenly in a group as if out of thin air (instead of one after the other realistically), with no sense of place, worse than any of the other moment in the franchise.
  • Silly sequence triggers that result in amusing occurrences (e.g. 8 guys with rocket launchers popping out in perfect harmony with one another, the moment very I walk past this line).
  • Rough narrative delivery. Eg Talbot just appearing out of nowhere and managing to have an entire segment of dialogue with Charlie, despite me being with him just moments ago.
  • Etc.
Don't get me wrong, Syria is still enjoyable, and there are still some cool moments (e.g climbing around with the beautiful backdrops, the inner sanctuary and spinning globes puzzle, Charlie going crazy, some of the combat being fun etc. It's just that this level in particular feels weirdly disjointed and unpolished, unlike the rest of the game up until this point which has been great, if a little slow. It's not that it's a difficult level either, it's actually quite easy on Hard, with the GAL's zoom making head shots a piece of cake.

Oh and one other thing, I was getting a random gamma glitch on this level, where in some of the internal rooms and areas e.g. the segment you enter after descending with the well, the gamma kept switching to a lighter, washed out tone, only to fix itself the moment I stepped outside. Anyone else notice this?

The best part of beating these games is that I can beat them right now and then play UC4 once that comes out without being burned out as there will be a decent couple of months. Also I'll be able to see how the jump in hardware and software has improved the basic mechanics.

ike_

Oh, I don't think I knew that about U3. I just meant I'd bet Bluepoint budgeted more time towards the U2 remaster since it is so highly regarded. From what I can remember (playing these games so far apart) U2 & U3 both felt right around the same size and scope in my lame opinion, but maybe I'll have a different opinion once I get there in the remasters.

zsynqx

Oh and one other thing, I was getting a random gamma glitch on this level, where in some of the internal rooms and areas e.g. the segment you enter after descending with the well, the gamma kept switching to a lighter, washed out tone, only to fix itself the moment I stepped outside. Anyone else notice this?

It is like that on ps3. I had the exact same thing and checked the original. When you lower down and the camera is looking straight up I thought I was under water or something. :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Syria is a weak point in UC3 for me. Up until this point I thought I was crazy for thinking the game was lacking in any way compared to the second, but Syria made me realise it's simply not as consistent. Overall Syria seems like it may have been rushed, as there are so many things about it that just feel less polished and poorly paced.

• Un-characteristically short gameplay segments (literally gain control after a new segment and walk just a few metres before another cut scene starts again. The franchise barely ever does this, but in this one level it happens 3 or 4 times).
  • Several instances where you'll go through a door or walk through something before it suddenly becomes blocked behind you moments later.
  • Enemies popping out together suddenly in a group as if out of thin air (instead of one after the other realistically), with no sense of place, worse than any of the other moment in the franchise.
  • Silly sequence triggers that result in amusing occurrences (e.g. 8 guys with rocket launchers popping out in perfect harmony with one another, the moment very I walk past this line).
  • Rough narrative delivery. Eg Talbot just appearing out of nowhere and managing to have an entire segment of dialogue with Charlie, despite me being with him just moments ago.
  • Etc.
Don't get me wrong, Syria is still enjoyable, and there are still some cool moments (e.g climbing around with the beautiful backdrops, the inner sanctuary and spinning globes puzzle, Charlie going crazy, some of the combat being fun etc. It's just that this level in particular feels weirdly disjointed and unpolished, unlike the rest of the game up until this point which has been great, if a little slow. It's not that it's a difficult level either, it's actually quite easy on Hard, with the GAL's zoom making head shots a piece of cake.

Syria is the one segment of 3 I flat out dislike. It's just dull and strangely paced. Thankfully after that the game really takes off.

I think a lot of people will finally come around on how fantastic of a combat sandbox the shipyard is with the improved aiming and framerate.

zsynqx

Syria is the one segment of 3 I flat out dislike. It's just dull and strangely paced. Thankfully after that the game really takes off.

I think a lot of people will finally come around on how fantastic of a combat sandbox the shipyard is with the improved aiming and framerate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OGqLX70pnY

Me playing it in the collection :). Level design wise it is great but shows some of the issues with the poor AI/lack of decent hit reactions. This type of level with UC4s combat design, where you can use the water to break line of sight and with a couple of grapple hook spots...AMAZING.

Reebot

Uncharted 3 has a lot of innate problems with its combat; that's a fine sandbox in theory but its sunk (hiyooooo) by these issues.

Papercuts has a fantastic post on this, with detailed video examples, earlier in the tread

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OGqLX70pnY

Me playing it in the collection :). Level design wise it is great but shows some of the issues with the poor AI/lack of decent hit reactions. This type of level with UC4s combat design, where you can use the water to break line of sight and with a couple of grapple hook spots...AMAZING.

I'm going to write a big reflection post on the series and a bit about looking ahead to 4 once I'm done with the collection. I'm so glad this set happened. Reflecting on one of my favorite series like this with the finale on the horizon has been a really great experience.

Uncharted 3 has a lot of innate problems with its combat; that's a fine sandbox in theory but its sunk (hiyooooo) by these issues.

Papercuts has a fantastic post on this, with detailed video examples, earlier in the tread
I strongly disagree there. I think the encounter design has issues in places but the overall combat mechanics and maneuverability are the best in the series in 3. It's even more apparent playing it directly after 2.

zsynqx

I'm going to write a big reflection post on the series and a bit about looking ahead to 4 once I'm done with the collection. I'm so glad this set happened. Reflecting on one of my favorite series like this with the finale on the horizon has been a really great experience.

I strongly disagree there. I think the encounter design has issues in places but the overall combat mechanics and maneuverability are the best in the series in 3. It's even more apparent playing it directly after 2.

AWESOME! Look forward to reading it.

nib95

Banned

The shipyard imo is one of the best designed combat segments in the entire franchise, probably of any third or first person shooter ever made. It's a shame people didn't gel with it (likely because they found it too hard or cheap), because it's actually rather ingenuous. It offers an incredible amount of tactical diversity, gameplay freedom, and potential for creative strategy / approach. There are so many amazing things about it.

EDIT:

I discussed it a bit in this post from an old thread.

1. Despite so many not liking this level, imo it is one of the of the best combat arenas ever designed in a third person shooter. So many amazing things about this. Procedural sea physics based moving platforms that also act as cover and change the inertia of your aiming when stood on, forcing added skill. Non stop pressure from enemies to stay mobile and mix things up. All kinds of cover options, high and low and everything in between (platforms, boats, debris, structures, ship innards, crates, boat masts etc), even diving inside the water itself. Stealth options, all sorts of approach options, clever level design and platforming, excellent AI etc etc.

http://youtu.be/xdNs6FqYHs4

krae_man

Just finished UC1. I still get a kick out of Nate constantly pulling leavers and moving stones to reveal hidden passages filled with bad guys.

All these hidden rooms have unlocked back doors :lol

I died a bunch of times platforming because Nate didn't grab what he should have. Especially when wall running while holding a vine/rope/chain. That was mildly annoying.

Looking forward to starting UC2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

None of those issues really apply in that segment. Well, I guess enemy flinching does, but that's always been more of an eye candy issue than anything.

Just finished UC1. I still get a kick out of Nate constantly pulling leavers and moving stones to reveal hidden passages filled with bad guys.

All these hidden rooms have unlocked back doors :lol
Seriously, a shame in about two places where it made no sense whatsoever to have enemies in the hidden passages. It's such short segments too, that not having enemies there would not have done anything to pacing.

Reebot

None of those issues really apply in that segment. Well, I guess enemy flinching does, but that's always been more of an eye candy issue than anything.

The flinching is far more than cosmetic, as you can see in his videos. And you've still got the incredibly dumb idea to map O to a useless throw.

Veelk

Banned
I know this is the uncharted thread, but I'm hoping some general ND fan will be able to help me out, since I don't want to start a new topic over this.

I'm playing the Last of Us remaster. I just got passed Fall. This is the time period where Ellie's DLC takes place. So, my question is, if I start it, will it erase the current playthrough I am on with the main game? Because I don't want to start fresh as though I were selecting a chapter.

Halp?

I know this is the uncharted thread, but I'm hoping some general ND fan will be able to help me out, since I don't want to start a new topic over this.

I'm playing the Last of Us remaster. I just got passed Fall. This is the time period where Ellie's DLC takes place. So, my question is, if I start it, will it erase the current playthrough I am on with the main game? Because I don't want to start fresh as though I were selecting a chapter.

Halp?

it's a different save file.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The flinching is far more than cosmetic, as you can see in his videos. And you've still got the incredibly dumb idea to map O to a useless throw.

Oh, I agree about the flinching and the melee issues but I think overall the combat in 3 is substantially better and more varied than people give it credit for.

Halp?

there are flashbacks to an actual part of the ending of the game, I'd avoid playing it, just wait until you are done with the main game

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

• Etc.

This surprised me as well, I recall in the past liking the first half of UC3 well enough then turning more in the mid to end game, but in the replay Syria was my least favorite spot by a long shot.

Also I swear the game was building up
some sort of supernatural twist with Talbot. Him getting shot and being fine later IIRC was explained by someone at ND saying it was body armor, but in the game it's met with genuine shock when...something that mundane wouldn't be. Then the scene with Cutter being drugged has Talbot walk around a corner and vanish as they look for him.

It's soooo weird.

If I understand correctly, U3 was developed side by side with Last of Us, and the latter got a large chunk of the creative team behind U2.

U3 really got the short end of the stick and suffered very hard for it. Its a shame since I love the Arabian setting and visuals; even if its done to death in a war context, its raw Indy vibes coming off Middle Eastern ruins are just so great.

Agreed. I still love just actively being in the endgame environments due to their look, the setting itself was the perfect spot to go after 2, but it's a shame it's so underutilized.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Halp?

It's a different save file but I'd recommend waiting to play it until after you finish the game. It'll totally mess up the pacing and story flow if you play it now.

Veelk

Banned
it's a different save file.

So I'll be able to jump into my old save file once I played it? 100% sure? Also, I've been playing on Hard with listen off, which makes for SUCH a different experience, but I'm definitely bumping it down to easy once the final encounter comes in, because that shit was just stupid.
there are flashbacks to an actual part of the ending of the game, I'd avoid playing it, just wait until you are done with the main game

It's a different save file but I'd recommend waiting to play it until after you finish the game. It'll totally mess up the pacing and story flow if you play it now.

I've already played LoU, if that's what you mean, so it's not going to spoil anything. I'm actually doing this specifically because I think it'll flow better than having me randomly go back once to it to the 3rd quarter of the game, after the game is over. The only thing that changes is the period of
uncertainty regarding Joel's life
, but since I'm already in the know on that front....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Having more options/variety ultimately means nothing if you don't nail game feel.

Fair enough

I can definitely understand why people enjoy 2 more than 3, I just think there's a lot of exaggeration about the difference in quality between the two games.

Reebot

Oh, I agree about the flinching and the melee issues but I think overall the combat in 3 is substantially better and more varied than people give it credit for.

Its much heavier and more directly inspired by Indiana Jones; the fist fighting in particular might as well have been directly ripped from the plane fight in Raiders.

I just think its actually over designed not much fun to play, I'd take the comparatively extreme simplicity of U1 over U3.

Fair enough

I can definitely understand why people enjoy 2 more than 3, I just think there's a lot of exaggeration about the difference in quality between the two games.

I feel weird playing it because I genuinely do not find it fun. Its got all the elements and comes frustratingly close to gelling but ultimately crumbles. I can't stop thinking about how I'd rather be playing U2.

Ogawa-san

Also I swear the game was building up
some sort of supernatural twist with Talbot. Him getting shot and being fine later IIRC was explained by someone at ND saying it was body armor, but in the game it's met with genuine shock when...something that mundane wouldn't be. Then the scene with Cutter being drugged has Talbot walk around a corner and vanish as they look for him.

It's soooo weird.
With all his
teleporting skills, general bullet resistance and access to that hallucinogen found in Ubar way before anyone had gotten there, I fully expected the game to show he had been a djinn all along, guiding Marlowe there so she could unleash more of them
. Nope.

It's sort of like UC2 and
Elena being mortally wounded, Drake coming back from a final boss fight around a pool full of life restoring resin and... not bringing her any. Naw, she'll be fine without it
. I feel ND just like these teases.

krae_man

Seriously, a shame in about two places where it made no sense whatsoever to have enemies in the hidden passages. It's such short segments too, that not having enemies there would not have done anything to pacing.

It's like that Simpsons episode where Mr Burns goes through 15 levels of security to the room that turns Springfield's power off, only to find a dog got in via the broken screen door.

mrqs

Just finished Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Uncharted Drake's Fortune was a big mess for me, so i went to Uncharted 2 a bit concerned.

Well, the sequel is so, so much better that it doesn't seem to have been made by the same developer. Is really that better. But it's not perfect, at all.

GOOD THINGS
- While in Uncharted 1 they hinted at some set pieces and the action tone, in the sequel they embraced it with so much creativity! It's really amazing. So many people told me about the train sequence and it was great (a bit too much with the bulletsponge enemies), but the sequence jumping from car to car was simply mindblowing. Really amazed me.
- Graphics are just mind bending, even for today's standards, which really amazed me
- Gameplay is great this time around, controls are good and walk/shoot is satisfying, but still a bit clunky and loose
- The soundtrack nails it, really sets the mood and, sometimes, even gets more attention than the visuals
- Characters are much better developed and written, some scenes are pure fun to watch and the chemistry between Drake and Elena is priceless

THE BAD (and ugly)
- Man, plataforming and parkour are almost never fun. Really. There are some levels that you have to parkour some weird things and it's pretty interesting, but climbing walls is not really my kind of thing
- Puzzles are simple and didn't seem to have much tought into it. Also, the diary give the answer so it's not really a puzzle
- Boss battles are crap. Really. They took the ones from Uncharted 1 and made into several more in Uncharted 2. How can anyone enjoy this? The final boss battle is terrible, the "mystical creatures" boss battle is not clever at all and the list goes on and on
- The story is not there yet too, you can't care too much to an pointless blend military villain that wants to get rich (?) It's that the best they could do? And the "oh my god we need to find this but shit it's not this is that and this thing does that so that is this" story is a bit too much. Uncharted 1 made the same convoluted story and this doesn't helps to make us care at all. It's just meh.
- Please stop with the never ending waves of enemies and those snipers pointed at your head

CONCLUSION

It's a much, much better game than the first, but it's not perfect. But there's a lot from it that shines bright.

The final boss battle is terrible

I keep hearing this and must be in the minority because I actually think UC2's final boss is totally alright.

Earlier post I wrote about it:

So people don't really care for the UC2 final boss, right? Just beat it on my fourth try in Crushing and think it's totally fine. It forces you to traverse and shoot at a constant pace, while encouraging accurate spacial awareness to monitor pits and resin. Really nothing cheap about it (no adds for example, and it would have been so easy to implement them), and it stands out from other encounters. Not the best boss fight in gaming, but with the limited mechanics at work I think it's an admirable design.

mrqs

I keep hearing this and must be in the minority because I actually think UC2's final boss is totally alright.

I really think boss battles usually are not well crafted, i don't see even why put boss battles in a game like Uncharted.

I was so glad playing The Last of Us, all the "boss battles" are not quite boss battles. The only one maybe is on the winter chapter, and has real meaning behind it. Even games like The Phantom Pain had some bad boss battles for me, never felt satisfying.

The only boss battles i really like are from Souls games.

lupinko

I tried the Japanese demo at sofmap, even tho I own all three games and brought them with me to Japan. If I had a ps4 I'd rebuy because the 60fps is a huge difference.

Also the Japanese version is censored still.

Playing through these and rewatching the UC4 Extended E3 demo has me extremely excited. There does seem to be a more weighted feel to the shooting and the melee combat looks more fluid than ever.

nib95

Banned

I think it's pretty good, as you mentioned it forces you to play slightly differently, being far more mobile, fast and aware of your surroundings than usual. The other boss fights, which are basically helicopters lol, are fun to take down.

kyser73

I think 1 was the best of the first 3 but agreed about 4. Has a bit of Ellie in her appearance now.

elena_comparison.jpg

Man, the jump in expressiveness between the first three and UC4 models is amazing.

This is frustrating, I'm about 80 percent through the second game and as soon as I beat this somewhat annoying part my game crashes and is stuck in the checking error status screen. :(

Tried restarting my ps4 by holding down the ps button and selecting power options. Now the system is stuck on a black screen with a light going in a circle in the middle of the screen.

Edit: Annnd it corrupted my save, pretty cool. This kind of ruined my uncharted experience. Don't really want to replay the game from the beginning.

Damn that sucks. Can you try downloading a save from the cloud?

Knocked out 11 more chapters in UC2 this evening.

I loved the variety of locations I've been in. Had a few difficult firefights but we prevailed.
Love Nolan North's delivery as Nathan Drake, this game has been awesome.

I'm on Chapter 18 but
what in the love of all is Holy is that Ram horned demon? WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It is more, but it's not much more. I mean, the game is pretty damn easy to play, flinching or not. It's not that you lose some big practical advantage by it not being there. As for O being a throw, it's again such a fringe scenario (for my play style anyway) that I'd use O to roll away from the enemy at the last possible moment, while enemy is right next to me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It is more, but it's not much more. I mean, the game is pretty damn easy to play, flinching or not. It's not that you lose some big practical advantage by it not being there. As for O being a throw, it's again such a fringe scenario (for my play style anyway) that I'd use O to roll away from the enemy at the last possible moment, while enemy is right next to me.

"Ease" of play is not anything I was pointing out, it's that the game feel is downright bad when your bullets are shrugged off. A TPS with bad game feel is fundamentally messing up. But further, you do lose practicality which is why I had those examples where I died specifically due to no flinch, it's meant to be something you can predict and depend on to stagger power users at the right time to specifically avoid scenarios like that from happening.

And O to roll DOESN'T WORK when they're close, which is the problem. O is a defensive button that overrides to an aggressive move in proximity to an enemy.

Just found this in a German Forum, and if it really works it should make the Brutal Playthrough considerably easier.

Start a new Game on Brutal -> As soon as the game starts you need to press the OPTIONS button -> go to the Options menu - > change difficulty to Crushing -> press O -> go to the Options menu again and activate One Shot Kills and Infinite Ammo -> change Difficulty back to Brutal -> Resume Game

stryke

Just found this in a German Forum, and if it really works it should make the Brutal Playthrough considerably easier.

Start a new Game on Brutal -> As soon as the game starts you need to press the OPTIONS button -> go to the Options menu - > change difficulty to Crushing -> press O -> go to the Options menu again and activate One Shot Kills and Infinite Ammo -> change Difficulty back to Brutal -> Resume Game

Heh that's very remiscent of the survivor+ workaround in TLOU.

Currently just arrived at the airport part of UC3.

Having never played UC3 before, some of the hyperbole surrounding the game is baffling to me. The pacing & the moment-to-moment of UC3 is not as strong as UC2, definitely, and Syria was a step below every other levels at this point of time, but a lot of the core gunplay is better than UC2's. Much better. And the set-piece moments of UC3 are still highly engaging and fun, even if they're more self-contained and don't have the "flow" that UC2 had with Nepal -> Train -> Tank -> Convoy.

Granted, there are some things which I felt are not good, like hit response, the shotgun armored dude, and some enemies that feel like they teleported to your location to encourage melee, but the net gains (like the improved combat arenas ) are a net positive that makes the combat pretty fun.

zsynqx

GAME FEEL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216_5nu4aVQ EDIT: 2min 5sec in and onwards for shooter stuff.

Enemy hit reactions are a vital visual feedback which makes combat just much more satisfying. It has nothing to do with looking cool or making the game easier.

hamchan

Highly disagree! At least on crushing, being able to pretty much stun enemies by shooting them and making them keep on flinching is a very key component. In UC3 they just keep running at you, shrugging off bullets like Superman and can even shoot you, when previously they couldn't. It's a huge change that both looks and feels terrible.

Currently just arrived at the airport part of UC3.

Having never played UC3 before, some of the hyperbole surrounding the game is baffling to me. The pacing & the moment-to-moment of UC3 is not as strong as UC2, definitely, and Syria was a step below every other levels at this point of time, but a lot of the core gunplay is better than UC2's. Much better. And the set-piece moments of UC3 are still highly engaging and fun, even if they're more self-contained and don't have the "flow" that UC2 had with Nepal -> Train -> Tank -> Convoy.

Granted, there are some things which I felt are not good, like hit response, the shotgun armored dude, and some enemies that feel like they teleported to your location to encourage melee, but the net gains (like the improved combat arenas ) are a net positive that makes the combat pretty fun.

I don't know how anyone can go through the cruise ship level and think the combat arenas are improved over UC2 tbh. On crushing it's huge exercise in tedium as enemies constantly spawn behind you and quickly kill you.

sensi97

Hmm that sucks. That makes the trophy way too easy.
At least I got mine the legit way :p

UC3 hit reactions are kind of a problem I guess. You can just play around them by not staying out of cover as long and going for more headshots. Doesn't really bother me. As Nightengale said, some of the gains are tremendous.

Top Bottom