• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

I think the thing that's most striking about the new looks is that they're not really too cartoony I guess you can say. Not to say the old ones didn't look like real people or anything but they obviously didn't have the power to do wrinkles and all sorts of skin textures like now. It just kind of reminds me of when people make Pokemon more realistic looking. They always kind of looked like that but adding in more realistic features gives you a weird kind of feeling. When I saw a picture of Sully's new face I wasn't a fan but it does look better in motion I guess.

Photo mode is really disappointing. The game doesn't let you use it more than half the time.
It's just not useful. Especially when you consider TLoU's photo mode.

spekkeh

Banned
I have a lot of respect for people who play UC1 on Crushing. I just finished it on easy for the first time and already there were so many annoying deaths and bullshit checkpoints, and the endless waves... The characters and camera work were great,and of course it looks awesome for such an old game, but I don't think it aged very well in terms of mechanics.

I have a lot of respect for people who play UC1 on Crushing. I just finished it on easy for the first time and already there were so many annoying deaths and bullshit checkpoints, and the endless waves... The characters and camera work were great,and of course it looks awesome for such an old game, but I don't think it aged very well in terms of mechanics.

I remember it being annoying at the time on Normal. I'm playing on Crushing now and it's just flat out broken in some spots. I've encountered a few situations where you're instantly killed by an enemy and there's nothing you can do but respawn over and over until the game decides to stop shooting you in the face instantly when you make the enemies appear. The cover system is really shown up on Crushing, too. I DON'T WANT TO STICK TO THAT WALL ARGH DEAD.

But I seem to be making decent progress. Every few major encounters will be a case of die, respawn, repeat for 10 minutes or so but otherwise it's fine.

At the very least, Amy Hennig did confirm in post Uncharted 3 interviews, that Nate is Hispanic. I can't recall if she said half or completely...

Hey I'll take it.

He doesn't really look it at all, especially in 4. Maybe he did a bit more in the PS3 version of UC1 (he had darker hair, etc), but not much. So at most half Hispanic, I'd say.
Hispanics range in pretty much everything so he can still be hispanic in descent, just he won't be stereotypical hispanic as regularly seen in media.

Wasp

I just started playing Drake's Fortune. I noticed they fixed the flashlight, on PS3 the flashlight shone wherever you turned the camera but now it always shines the way Drake is facing.

MAX PAYMENT

Just finished uncharted 1. Wow, what a chore in some places. Jet skis and I am legend zombies aren't even close to fun.

I think the ending is still really good, as far as being climactic. I'd rate it a C-.

Excited to move on to the best in the series!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just started playing Drake's Fortune. I noticed they fixed the flashlight, on PS3 the flashlight shone wherever you turned the camera but now it always shines the way Drake is facing.

Huh, really? For me it was definitely based off the camera. It also is persistent in photomode, shining the light where you angle to take a shot.

kyser73

Finished UC2 last night, played through the UC3 intro and saved at the start of kid Drake.

Another 2-3 nights then I'm onto TLOU:R as part of my 'game for 2hrs a night to clear backlog' strategy.

FranXico

They only fixed that for that area. Later in U1, and in the other two games, the awkward light is back.

Raxus

Uncharted 2 crushing, just beat the big guy on the train who had the dagger. Garbage. Horrible battle. The melee combat in this game is just way too unresponsive and gives absolutely no feedback to the player, it made this battle absolutely dreadful for me on crushing. Uncharted 4's combat needs to be tightened up about 10 times over.

Just melee until it goes into slo mo and then press triangle. I beat him on my third try on Brutal.

Speaking of which, on chapter 17 brutal. Chugging right along.

SomTervo

I don't think it is them looking more like the actors. Drake you can see has a very similar bone structure with the main difference being far more detail and slightly less stylized proportions. To me this looks like a very natural progression.

Like you said, with Sully he seems very different with his facial structure. EDIT: Actually main difference is his hairline has improved! :p

Sorry the Sully comparison gifs aren't that great.

Yeah, the Sully changes are bizarre. He almost looks like Mario +35 years, now.

Re Drake, I guess I can see what you're saying. But I still think he looks like a totally different person. His nose looks broader/more bulbous now, his jaw and neck are more muscular... I think this is even clear in the generic unlit screenshot of his face in Maya.

Funnily enough, I just finished it on Crushing.

Most of it was actually decent fun once you get in the headshot-mad swing of it. But maybe 4-5 fights were really not good. Like terribad. And the cover controls are absolutely not up to par, especially when later enemies kill you in literally one hit.

Also, the ending of UC1 is way better than I remember. The last chapter was fucking infuriating on Crushing, but the last battle is fine, and that last bit of dialogue with Drake is so fucking good. Really sets the tone for the next games.

Rubbing my hands in anticipation at UC2 and 3 though. Maybe not 3 on crushing :/

It's only the beginning cutscenes, later on in lighter cutscenes the inside of Drake's mouth and teeth are perfectly visible and white.

Pretty sure the early cutscenes in the PS3 ver. were the same way -- it's just much more noticeable because they did some lighting changes.

But hey if someone wants to do some comparisons instead of going off of memory that'd be swell.

That's interesting. Must just be a quirk of the lighting. It looks so weird.

Uncharted 2 continues to absolutely floor me, both gameplay wise and graphically. I knew it was my favorite for a reason.

Select screens:
GoNWPIX.png

WDcYgwD.png

EjSA3fX.png

This is frustrating, I'm about 80 percent through the second game and as soon as I beat this somewhat annoying part my game crashes and is stuck in the checking error status screen. :(

Tried restarting my ps4 by holding down the ps button and selecting power options. Now the system is stuck on a black screen with a light going in a circle in the middle of the screen.

Edit: Annnd it corrupted my save, pretty cool. This kind of ruined my uncharted experience. Don't really want to replay the game from the beginning.

FTF

So now that many have played TLOU, UC2&3 and GOW3 remasters, which PS3 graphics king do you think is the PS4 remaster graphics king?

zsynqx

So now that many have played TLOU, UC2&3 and GOW3 remasters, which PS3 graphics king do you think is the PS4 remaster graphics king?

Uncharted 3

Edit: Last of us does look better in a number of areas such as animation, character models and the ambient lighting solution however is let down by some low poly geometry and othter blemishes caused by pushing ps3 too hard. Unfortunately, TLOU remasterd was a simple uprez job unlike this collection so those problems persist.

nib95

Banned
Uncharted 3

Uncharted 3 looks amazing, but I don't find the art direction as consistently palatable. Technically, it bests Uncharted 2 with better lighting, textures, character models, more complex geometry etc, so at it's best it definitely looks better, but overall I still prefer the aesthetics of Uncharted 2.

Main reason is because I find UC3 on occasion has too much visual noise and contrast. Patters or surfaces of light that are too strong in luminosity or intensity, other areas where there are too many contrasty looking elements of polarising lighting and shadowing etc. A good example is the French forest in UC3, even though technically it's doing much more than the Borneo forest in UC2, I still prefer the look and aesthetic of the latter.

Phaezyk

Alright so continuing on my first play-through of each of the Uncharted games, I've just finished Among Thieves.

Game was OK.

Oh come on, you know it was FANTASTIC!

The sheer increase in scope among locations, the improved verticality of the levels, the well hidden secrets, a more interesting story and well-crafted characters plus the fleshing out of ones from the original game, these are just parts of the game that make it was great as it was. The setpieces in particular were much MUCH better than the first game and were super entertaining and clever. The difficulty this time was a much smoother gradient across the game albeit a little bit higher overall than when I played the previous game on normal. I hated that I missed secrets and had a hard time finding them past the first hour or so but eventually I got over it and realized that they REALLY want you to fully explore the levels and made the secrets involve a lot more platforming to get to, which is fun. Once I got into that mindset I started finding secrets again. The placement of secrets in the original game almost feels lazy in retrospect.

A few things I disliked:

The cover system was still kinda wonky. I get the feeling that's just something I'll have to deal with in these games. I also think that for Normal difficulty they're still a bit strict on how much time you have to avoid dying in certain situations. It's not a big deal though.

Also...

Really? Nazis AGAIN? Also, MORE weird monsters?

Thankfully the former was just a passing mention and the implementation of the latter was actually more interesting and varied in this game than the previous so overall it worked out. I think the train hopping sequence was my favorite =D that was just a whole lot of fun; it looked and played amazing the entire time.

I can see why everyone says Uncharted 2 is the best of the series and a damn fine game.

I'm moving onward to Drakes Deception now!

I honestly am a bit upset that the first and perhaps last game with these characters we get on this magnificent hardware features a character as iconic as Sully as some sunken, frail old man. I get that ND are all about story... But couldn't it be about adventure and not whether or not Nate is crazy because of his past and treasure hunting? Screw the ludonarrative dissonance criers. I don't really need a
"Nate, you're gonna get him killed/he's too old for this/I'm upset with you because you said you were done" angle
AGAIN.

Both that Elena gif and Sully gif hurt and not exactly on the emotional level they're going for.

But as I've said in the past, I'll still be along for the ride but it won't be anywhere near the greatness it could be without the above mentioned story jank. And that includes all of a sudden having a brother.

zsynqx

I honestly am a bit upset that the first and perhaps last game with these characters we get on this magnificent hardware features a character as iconic as Sully as some sunken, frail old man. I get that ND are all about story... But couldn't it be about adventure and not whether or not Nate is crazy because of his past and treasure hunting? Screw the ludonarrative dissonance criers. I don't really need a
"Nate, you're gonna get him killed/he's too old for this/I'm upset with you because you said you were done" angle
AGAIN.

Both that Elena gif and Sully gif hurt and not exactly on the emotional level they're going for.

But as I've said in the past, I'll still be along for the ride but it won't be anywhere near the greatness it could be without the above mentioned story jank. And that includes all of a sudden having a brother.

A whole post based on assumption. The best kind of post.

A whole post based on assumption. The best kind of post.
Elena's speech is pretty clear and why else render Sully in such a way? That little lip tuck breath gulp thing is an obvious sign of his frailty.

Besides, even if my story assumptions aren't accurate my post still stands. I'm saddened that the last game (according to ND) in this series/arc features Sully in such a way. He's been ruggedly handsome up until now.

I absolutely love these games, but I just beat uncharted 2 on normal and raged alot from dying. I remember beating 3 on crushing with only a few rage moments. Can someone make me feel better about losing my skill please?

zsynqx

Elena's speech is pretty clear and why else render Sully in such a way? That little lip tuck breath gulp thing is an obvious sign of his frailty.

Besides, even if my story assumptions aren't accurate my post still stands. I'm saddened that the last game (according to ND) in this series/arc features Sully in such a way. He's been ruggedly handsome up until now.

So frail. ;)

GIF3ef15.gif

You could be right about where the story is going but he isn't knocking on heavens door quite yet. He is still jumping around, fighting dudes and keeping up with Nate. Consider the fact that the added power allows them to render all the extra wrinkles etc. which is likely to age him even further.

So frail. ;)

GIF3ef15.gif

You could be right about where the story is going but he isn't knocking on heavens door quite yet. He is still jumping around, fighting dudes and keeping up with Nate. Consider the fact that the added power allows them to render all the extra wrinkles etc. which is likely to age him even further.
Lol look at him crushing it.

But still, he's just too elderly looking for someone to keep up with Nate even.

Purest 78

I absolutely love these games, but I just beat uncharted 2 on normal and raged alot from dying. I remember beating 3 on crushing with only a few rage moments. Can someone make me feel better about losing my skill please?

After replaying these games I don't remember dying this much on ps3 lol.

I think 1 was the best of the first 3 but agreed about 4. Has a bit of Ellie in her appearance now.

elena_comparison.jpg

What... What if... ahhhh! What if it is revealed Nate and Elena have a baby girl in Uncharted 4 and... her.... name... is... Ellie (short for Elena, perhaps)!?!?!?!?

BOOOM!

zsynqx

What... What if... ahhhh! What if it is revealed Nate and Elena have a baby girl in Uncharted 4 and... her.... name... is... Ellie (short for Elena, perhaps)!?!?!?!?

BOOOM!

That would be great but we already know Ellie's mothers name...

Anna.......wait Anna>Elanna>Elena. HOLY SHIT ;)

Replicant

I know Uncharted didn't make the trope, but I can't recall a game or even movie that abused it as much. You'll climb somewhere, break half of your pathway in the process, occasionally falls or gets thrown to some direction, solve puzzles that will lock themselves back after you're done... just to get somewhere and find a dozen guys. How did they even climb in there on a suit or heavy armor?

The
ship graveyard
in UC3... Where the hell did everyone come from? Could they fly? Were they Na'Vi hybrids? Parkour proficiency required for the job?

Plus the other trope that walked hand in hand with it: the whole thing with you almost killing yourself to get through all that to find whatever, just to have the villain show up and take all your work. I was expecting a "man, that happens a lot" quip from Drake to come at some point.

But that's just me overanalyzing, still loved all 3 games. Well, half of UC1 at least.

This bothers me so much. Especially in UC1 where you have to open secret passages, squeeze into tight crevices and yet there these goons with lighting equipment inside hard to reach caves. I mean, WTF?!

Finished the first game and started the second today. I expected a step up in both mechanics and presentation, but wow. My jaw has been dropping constantly at the leap on display here.

Among Thieves makes Drake's Fortune look like garbage.

That would be great but we already know Ellie's mothers name...

Anna.......wait Anna>Elanna>Elena. HOLY SHIT ;)

Yeah. Like something happens at the end where Nate and Elena need to go into witness protection or something and change their names, hahaha (wait
Nathan Drake isn't even Nathan Drake's name!!!! I hope we get some resolution about that nugget of info from UC3
)!

Kudo

Loving the 2nd game so far, just got to chapter 7!
I'm using non-spoiler Treasure guide while playing and I missed few in first chapters, been playing on Hard let's say I use the Chapter select to go grab the missed treasures and then use chapter select to start 7 again on Hard, will I still get the trophy for clearing the game on Hard? Or does using chapter select count as changing difficulty, currently I have 1-6 marked as "Completed on Hard".

Yeah. Like something happens at the end where Nate and Elena need to go into witness protection or something and change their names, hahaha (wait
Nathan Drake isn't even Nathan Drake's name!!!! I hope we get some resolution about that nugget of info from UC3
)!

i hope his real name is something like Chip Willington.

Stoze

Lol look at him crushing it.

But still, he's just too elderly looking for someone to keep up with Nate even.

It's not like that hasn't been true in the previous games. Sully comments on his age and even has to hang back a few times while Nate monkeys his way up shit, because Sully is an old dude. Now that they've got the hardware to crank out much more realistic models, they definitely should be taking that fact into account.

Just because he's old and has a more detailed model this time around dosen't mean they're depicting him as frail, especially when the dude is gunning people down in the streets and taking cover like a boss. Saying that's what Elena's dissapointment is alluding to is pure assumption.

Ugh. Just finished my crushing play through of Drake's Fortune. I think I'm going to have to vow to never do that again. I don't remember it being that bad the first time around, but my love of the series just couldn't survive it again.

Revven

Loving the 2nd game so far, just got to chapter 7!
I'm using non-spoiler Treasure guide while playing and I missed few in first chapters, been playing on Hard let's say I use the Chapter select to go grab the missed treasures and then use chapter select to start 7 again on Hard, will I still get the trophy for clearing the game on Hard? Or does using chapter select count as changing difficulty, currently I have 1-6 marked as "Completed on Hard".

Not sure, I've never done it that way before... personally I wouldn't risk it and just hold off on going back and getting those treasures. Go back and get them when you've finished the game on Hard or you could very likely replay it all on Crushing and you could get them during your Crushing playthrough. (Assuming you will like UC2 enough to replay it asap).

Otherwise wait until you finish it once through first, unless you really want to use certain skins.

On a different note, got to chapter 18 in UC3. Chapter 16 is still oh so fun for me.

First combat section:

Chapter 16's combat sections can be breezed through so easily. The first one where you start on the roof can be cheesed: just sit there and wait until the enemies shoot the garage door locks -- don't go down there, just wait on the roof. Then when they've destroyed the locks, Elena will shoot them and for once in the entire series she will kill them except for maybe one (though there is an off chance she will kill all of them). Normally, a partner isn't supposed to be able to kill off enemies unless you have shot them down to literally one bullet left but for some reason in this particular section Elena can kill them but only during this specific part.

Then after that when the guys drive up with the jeep, just grab the SAS-12 the armored guy dropped and use that to kill them all. First combat section done.

Small section after the above:

When you push the jeep down to destroy the gated fence you have two ways to go about this section:

You stealth kill the first guy, not using your silenced pistol, then back up and use your silenced pistol to take out the other guy near the jeep. The third guy will notice his body and go towards Elena, go around the jeep so you're behind him and stealth kill him from behind. Bam, done. You also got some extra ammo doing it this way.

The other option you have is to stealth kill the first guy from behind like before and then immediately just head for the window. The other two will not spot you and even if they do, it doesn't alert anyone in the next area

Second main combat section:

This is the infamous area of the airport that people claim you can't stealth through even though they have it set up for you to do so. However, I can say without a doubt this is very untrue. If you come into this area with enough ammo and go about it a certain way, this is easily stealthable consistently. The only problem are the last two guys. I saved a video of it that I will surely upload later on but ultimately what you need to do for this section is the following:

-Pay attention to patrol routes first. Watch where the first two guys on the left go. You can stealth kill both of the guys on the left side of the area from behind or you can use your silenced pistol if you want -- personally, I prefer stealth killing them from behind.

-The guys on the right side do not change their patrol route much other than the first guy on the right you see. He should be your prime target to take out first with a silenced pistol headshot. Then the other guy on the right side you can just go all the way back behind the containers and stealth kill him from behind. The guy near the light within the same proximity as the previous guy is easier to take out with a silenced pistol shot but you can absolutely stealth kill him from behind if you are close enough and have the right angle.

-Finally, the guy holding the Hammer is straight ahead of the light guy so simply use the silenced pistol to headshot him. Then the guy patrolling near the cars... he goes in a circle so watch where he goes, generally by the time you are here he is already circling back around behind some containers. Wait until he passes the first car and then you can get behind him and stealth kill him.

-But that's not the end here. This is the part that will take some practice to get consistently and it is the only way to do this. If you use the Grenade Launcher on these two it will cause an alert even though you killed them before they could shout about it -- the game considers it as you having engaged in combat with the enemy and failing to stealth through it. It's dumb, I know, but that is how UC3 is designed unfortunately. Anyway...

Walk up near the building to the left of you but don't stand close to it, instead stand roughly a few steps ahead of where you killed the last guy by the cars. Get your grenade out, you want to do the arc toss so hold L2/L1 (whichever your control scheme is) and aim the arc near the light that is above a door. There are two enemies here and if often why the alert triggers. If you got the grenade in the right spot, it will either do one of the following:

1) Kill both of them at the same time, causing it so the alert does not trigger. It may seem like it has as the combat music comes on for a few seconds but it will quickly fade out and you will be able to move on.

or

2) It will explode and cause the propane tank near them to explode and kill them both at the same time. This time, the music won't suddenly trigger and you will proceed as normal as though you completely stealthed through it. I believe this is intended and it works because the propane tank isn't "you" so the alert doesn't happen.

I just had the first one happen to me tonight but the second one is what I've commonly gotten. Either way, you will most likely pass through if you do it right. If not, it is highly worth resetting to the checkpoint. Because the second wave of enemies they throw at you is ridiculous here and not very fun to fight through.

I know writing things isn't terribly useful in trying to describe how to tackle combat sections and just showing the video would be easier but it's late and I likely won't be able to upload it until Monday anyway. If you understand what I'm saying as you've played this chapter a dozen times but never knew about the above then it should be digestible and possible to replicate. If not, the video will def. be up on Monday. And hell, this stuff will be useful for a Brutal playthrough for sure. :p

But yeah 16 is one of my faves now because of the above strategies where before I used to kind of dread it since the silenced pistol has so little ammo and can't really be used in a way you expect to be able to use it.

Edit: Oh and one thing I've noticed in UC3 is that you can cause enemies to stagger somewhat consistently with at least the shotgun. But it only seems to be the shotgun and I'm not sure if it's at any range or if you need to hit them mid-range for them to stagger. But they do have a stagger animation for when they are shot by shotguns which does stop them from shooting. Just awful that it's not like that for all the other weapons...... :/

ike_

Just finished UC1. I think I'm more fond of that game than most, but I agree the last quarter of the game is just one frustrating enemy encounter after another. And I actually really like the zombie sections: it's all run-and-gun since they can't shoot at you. No need to hold your ground and aim with L2, just backpedal and rely on auto aim. Run-and-gun and blindfire in the UC games are some of my favorite approaches to combat sections.

Starting UC2, only 3 chapters in, but the fidelity of the game has already been astonishing. I have a feeling they might have spent a bit more time on this one since it seems to be most people's favorite.

Reebot

Starting UC2, only 3 chapters in, but the fidelity of the game has already been astonishing. I have a feeling they might have spent a bit more time on this one since it seems to be most people's favorite.

If I understand correctly, U3 was developed side by side with Last of Us, and the latter got a large chunk of the creative team behind U2.

U3 really got the short end of the stick and suffered very hard for it. Its a shame since I love the Arabian setting and visuals; even if its done to death in a war context, its raw Indy vibes coming off Middle Eastern ruins are just so great.

Top Bottom