• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

nib95

Banned
Just finished UC3. Absolutely incredible. The narrative and pacing isn't as concise as UC2, and the lack of hit reactions and Syria bring it down somewhat, but overall the game is still an amazing experience. My jaw dropped several times throughout, even though I've already previously completed the game on the PS3.

Certain things it actually does better than UC2, such as weapon sounds, feel and variety, far better puzzles, a more enjoyable sound score, in certain instances more open gunfights that offer more player freedom, even more over the top set pieces, better melee combat (though there is an over reliance on it) and improved visuals.

All in all based on an IGN type review system, my review scores would be as follows.

UC1 - 8.5
UC2 - 10
UC3 - 9.3

Definitely one of my favourite franchises, and UC2 remains one of my all time favourite games. I seriously cannot wait for Uncharted 4 now.

SomTervo

Definitely one of my favourite franchises, and UC2 remains one of my all time favourite games. I seriously cannot wait for Uncharted 4 now.

I'm getting that vibe.

Uncharted 4 is going to be a GOAT.

I've called GOATs accurately for more than 10 years. Guts and hunches, don't fail me now.

nib95

Banned
UC3's soundtrack is godly.

My favorite track, the Maurice Jarre influenced The Rub' Al Khali:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzTa2Ziy634

Henry Jackman has a lot to live up to IMO with 4.

Yea, it really is absolutely incredible. Diverse, rich, nuanced, highly detailed and really intricate. Literally made my headphones sing, and with maximum dynamic range set, things just seemed even more precise. I love that it's so vibrant and cultural as well, with elements of samba, Arabian inspired sounds, orchestral et all.

Damn I'm struggling with the last chapter of Drake's Fortune on crushing. There's such a small window to kill the other enemies before Navarro can one shot me.

He fires 3 unaimed shots then one aimed. Take your shots when he breaks after the 4th shot. If you have a runner take the shot when he is shooting the 3 unaimed shots.

After the first iteration jump over the boxes and then jump back over and take them out that way.

Angel_DvA

I finally finished Uncharted 2 for the first time, what a hell of a ride, such beauty, this game has everything, action, gameplay, puzzle, humour, characters, everything BUT who the hell designed the reverse platform scene ? the one in the train and the last bridge to cross... it was beyond terrible, I was confuse about why Nate wasn't running, I had to restart it dozen of times because it sucks, please no more of that.

The guardians were hard to beat as well, I died so much, I was crying in joy at every single one of those fuckers who died on my bullets but I really like the game overall, it was far better than the first one, I'll start Uncharted 3 tomorrow, for now :

Uncharted 1 : 8/10
Uncharted 2: 9.5/10

nib95

Banned
I finally finished Uncharted 2, what a hell of a ride, such beauty, this game has everything, action, gameplay, puzzle, humour, characters, everything BUT who the hell designed the reverse platform scene ? the one in the train and the last bridge to cross... it was beyond terrible, I was confuse about why Nate wasn't running, I had to restart it dozen of times because it sucks, please no more of that.

The guardians were hard to beat as well, I died so much, I was crying in joy at every single one of those fuckers who died on my bullets but I really like the game overall, it was far better than the first one, I'll start Uncharted 3 tomorrow, for now :

Uncharted 1 : 8/10
Uncharted 2: 9.5/10

To kill the guardians quickly just use the golden crossbows. I believe it's one or two shots for a kill. Otherwise as you mentioned, you really do have to riddle them with bullets.

Revven

To kill the guardians quickly just use the golden crossbows. I believe it's one or two shots for a kill. Otherwise as you mentioned, you really do have to riddle them with bullets.

Or, 2 grenades works if they stand still long enough (which sometimes they do). Just a secondary option if you don't have a crossbow and have grenades.

Angel_DvA

Yeah I got it a little too late, was my first playthrough ever, I was naive and I cried a lot but I know what to do now lol.

zsynqx

Would be interested in hearing your guys favourites.

After playing through all the games I decide to list my favourite set pieces in order.

1)Uncharted 2: Train
2525799-9999788888-train.jpg

Best set piece in the series because of how much variety there is. You are jumping between carts, hopping in and out of carriages, fighting dudes, dodging signs, avoiding helicopter gun fire all while the environment around you transitions from lush jungles, to dark tunnels and through to snowy clifftops. It manages all this while pushing the narrative forward, linking you back to the very beginning of the game.

2)Uncharted 2: Cat and Mouse
latest

The reason this section is so good is because of the sequence that comes before it. You awake in this beautiful Tibetan village after the chaos of the train and are led through by a man named Tenzin. It is a serene moment contrasting the chaos that preceded it and allows you to interact with the inhabitants and really take the environment in. Following this, you take a journey into the mountains and through cooperation form a bond with Tenzin. When you ascend to find the village under attack it makes the following events more emotionally driven than other set pieces in the series. What follows is you backtracking through the level you were just walking through but now everything is grey and destroyed and the cat and mouse aspect of the tank following you is really well designed. Also you are in full control throughout the set piece which is a huge plus.

3)Uncharted 3:Burning Chateau
uncharted3.jpg

Really well designed set-piece that has you fighting through a building which is falling apart around you. Like the cat and mouse sequence you have a lot of control and the aspect of more of the level opening up as the walls and structure burn down around you is really well done. Just overall has a really nice flow and the fire//smoke effects look amazing even to this day. Not much else to say.

4)Uncharted 2: Collapsing Building
chopperdrake.jpg

Probably one of the most iconic sequences and still holds up really well. Not much to say other than I wish it was longer.

5)Uncharted 3: Plane
uncharted-3-drake-on-a-plane.jpg

In terms of pure spectacle this is probably the pinnacle of Uncharted set pieces, even more so than the ship for me. The actual gameplay elements are fairly basic but boy does it look awesome hanging out of the back of a plane and then ultimately falling out and steering drake to catch the cargo and parachute down. Probably the best looking controllable sequence in any game ever.

6)Uncharted 2: Jeff the Camerman
uncharted2_2.jpg

Jeff was just an awesome guy and his death hit me really hard when I originally played the game
. I think the thing that makes the sequnece so good, other than the fact that it is story/character driven is the rain. The weather was really mirroring the mood of the characters and in itself was telling a story. Also really liked the fact that Chloe was always ahead of the player while Elena was always behind the player showing their character motivations not just through their dialogue but through the gameplay as well.

Shoutouts:
Ship (not on the list because of horrible combat rooms)
Both convoys from UC3 and UC3
The chase scenes with Talbot and and the one with young Drake

Ricky_R

It's hard to pick my favorite set-piece, but if I had to pick one, I would say The Chateau. It just builds up nicely and flows quite well.

cyba89

Would be interested in hearing your guys favourites.

This is my top 5.

1) Sinking Ship (Uncharted 3)
The first half of the game had me worried but the ship graveyard was the first time Uncharted 3 finally clicked with me. The sinking cruiser was an awesome setpiece to wrap the whole sequence up. It's tainted a bit by one or two annoying enemy encounters inside the cruiser.

2) Convoy (Uncharted 3)
It's the awesome convoy sequence in U2, but even better because you're riding on horseback. It's also the most visually impressive sequence of the franchise for me.

3) Ice Caves (Uncharted 2)
I know the platfoming isn't the strongest part of the franchise but this sequence was andventure done right. Loved the teasing of the "monster".

4) The Train (Uncharted 2)
Really awesome and thrilling ride, but I think the enemy encounters in this very narrow space were a tad annoying.

5) Plane (Uncharted 3)
Short but very effective. The walk through the desert after that was also a nice contrast in pacing after that.

Honorable mentions:
Tank in the village, Hotel vs Helicopter

nded

He fires 3 unaimed shots then one aimed. Take your shots when he breaks after the 4th shot. If you have a runner take the shot when he is shooting the 3 unaimed shots.

After the first iteration jump over the boxes and then jump back over and take them out that way.

During the first few sections you can also destroy the box he's hiding behind to make him run away.

UC1 first-timer here ( I only played UC2 on PS3 and ended up really liking it), I just finished the game. I'm trying not to sound too negative here, because overall I enjoyed the game, but there were some scenes which really rustled my jimmies.

One of the first scenes I really hated, was the
jet-ski-sequence. The controls were garbage and the laser-accurate enemies plus the stupid idea of the water being littered with explosive barrels killed any kind of flow that could potentially come up. I mean, you drive a bit, shoot some barrels, drive a small bit, shoot some enemies, rinse and repeat.
I thought it couldn't get any worse, but then I came to
the second jet-ski-sequence: The controls get even shittier while you have to evade/shoot some more explosive barrels and try to shoot some dudes with grenade launchers.
Some of the later shootouts have some serious difficulty spikes and some guys just one-shot you, just because they have laser sights on their weapons.
The ending was really disappointing, I mean, first the stupid and frustrating (for me at least, I was playing on hard, I shudder thinking of playing this on crushing or above like some of you guys here) crate-to-crate-fight on the ship and a shitty QTE as the final fight?

As I said, overall I enjoyed the game, but it really boggles my mind how inconsistent the first game is. I'd say I really enjoyed the first 70% or so of the game (except for the mentioned scenes), but the last 30% (escpecially
the whole bunker chapter and the ending fight on the ship + QTE-ending
) kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Technically, it's one hell of a remaster, though and I'm just glad the game did well enough to spawn two sequels, so ND could show off what they're really capable of in terms of UC.

Now on to UC2.

UC1 first-timer here ( I only played UC2 on PS3 and ended up really liking it), I just finished the game. I'm trying not to sound too negative here, because overall I enjoyed the game, but there were some scenes which really rustled my jimmies.

One of the first scenes I really hated, was the
jet-ski-sequence. The controls were garbage and the laser-accurate enemies plus the stupid idea of the water being littered with explosive barrels killed any kind of flow that could potentially come up. I mean, you drive a bit, shoot some barrels, drive a small bit, shoot some enemies, rinse and repeat.
I thought it couldn't get any worse, but then I came to
the second jet-ski-sequence: The controls get even shittier while you have to evade/shoot some more explosive barrels and try to shoot some dudes with grenade launchers.
Some of the later shootouts have some serious difficulty spikes and some guys just one-shot you, just because they have laser sights on their weapons.
The ending was really disappointing, I mean, first the stupid and frustrating (for me at least, I was playing on hard, I shudder thinking of playing this on brutal or above like some of you guys here) crate-to-crate-fight on the ship and a shitty QTE as the final fight?

As I said, overall I enjoyed the game, but it really boggles my mind how inconsistent the first game is. I'd say I really enjoyed the first 70% or so of the game (except for the mentioned scenes), but the last 30% (escpecially
the whole bunker chapter and the ending fight on the ship + QTE-ending
) kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Technically, it's one hell of a remaster, though and I'm just glad the game did well enough to spawn two sequels, so ND could show off what they're really capable of in terms of UC.

Now on to UC2.

Just in case you ever decide to replay Uncharted 1, remember that during the second jetski sequence (when you have the pistol), blindfiring R2 will autoaim at the barrels. Makes progressing much faster.

Just in case you ever decide to replay Uncharted 1, remember that during the second jetski sequence (when you have the pistol), blindfiring R2 will autoaim at the barrels. Makes progressing much faster.

Thanks for the tip, this should make this scene a bit more bearable in the future.

Vitor711

As much as I've complained about UC3 here (in spite of heavily defending the game on release), I have to give it props for the puzzles. Genuinely challenging in spots without killing pacing. Not too taxing to actually stump you but hard enough for you to get an 'AHA' moment (looking at you giant wall of 4 animals).

Worlds ahead of the 'find the platforming line/pull levers/tilt mirrors' of UC2s main puzzles.

zsynqx

As much as I've complained about UC3 here (in spite of heavily defending the game on release), I have to give it props for the puzzles. Genuinely challenging in spots without killing pacing. Not too taxing to actually stump you but hard enough for you to get an 'AHA' moment (looking at you giant wall of 4 animals).

Worlds ahead of the 'find the platforming line/pull levers/tilt mirrors' of UC2s main puzzles.

Yep, easily the best puzzles in the series.

Curufinwe

We bought the game on disc yesterday but now my wife wants her own PS4 to play it on. If we bought the PS4 with the digital UC, can I transfer her save from the disc version to the new PS4 via a USB stick?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Yep

Anyone would try to claim Uncharted 3 doesn't have the best puzzles would be fighting a losing battle. They actually make you think and decipher the hints a bit instead just looking at Nate's journal for the answer. I particularly love the shadow puzzle.

Yep

Anyone would try to claim Uncharted 3 doesn't have the best puzzles would be fighting a losing battle. They actually make you think and decipher the hints a bit instead just looking at Nate's journal for the answer. I particularly love the shadow puzzle.
How braindead UC1's 'puzzles' are actually made me laugh re-playing it this weekend.

Carn82

We bought the game on disc yesterday but now my wife wants her own PS4 to play it on. If we bought the PS4 with the digital UC, can I transfer her save from the disc version to the new PS4 via a USB stick?

I'm assuming, but I cant see a reason why not.

psychotron

This day in 2011, I attended the Uncharted event in NYC. They gave us some great Uncharted swag and we even got to play the multiplayer. Such a great series from a fantastic studio.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How braindead UC1's 'puzzles' are actually made me laugh re-playing it this weekend.
The only kind of ok puzzles in UC1 are the environmental based ones where you have to shoot at something to make the progress. There's like two or three places in the game where this isn't painfully obvious (even though your partner tells you what to do after less than a minute).

This is really hard but I'll try.

1- Sinking Ship.
The whole fight in the shipyard and then chasing the cruiser, ending with the sinking part is something that I've only seen in games, beyond incredible.

2- Airplane.

As someone said, catching the plane first is great, but once you're in is insane, probably the most spectacular thing there is in any game. Second place for being shorter than the sinking ship but is perfect.

3- Building Collapse

This is actually the thing that left my mouth open for the first time in the series, and even if I don't consider it the best moment it takes the third spot for the first impact.

4- Cat & Mouse

To me, this is the best gameplay set piece in the series, it starts as an everyday fight but once the tank comes in it turns in a run like hell and defeat your enemies in a super spectacular way that gets me evey time I play Uncharted 2, is the one moment that never gets old for me.

5- Convoy 2/3

Uncharted 2 started this segment and blow it out of the water, you can make it ugly but if you play well it turns into an amazing chase action scene, Uncharted 3 perfected this idea in another context.

6- Chateau

Uncharted use this design in every game, travel through some place and then backtrack in a thrilling firefight, but this is the best example of that level design.

7- Every bridge/terrain falling down

Well, I just love this moments a lot, the wooden bridge in Uncharted 2 and the escape from the Tree an the end, or the collapsing City in Uncharted 3 at the end, pure greatness.

8- Talbot Chase

I love the Tanger scene in Bourne Ultimatum and this is the best attempt to archive that level of awesomeness.

Damn...UC1 keeps crashing on the same point in the game. Can't be arsed to start all over again so i just went on to UC2. Not to happy with this.

Yopis

Heh, I jumped into GA as soon as I was done with this trilogy. I too wasn't a big fan when I tried back then.

Nope, bailed out again after 30min. Still can't stomach the stupid whole lot of TOUCHMETOUCHMETOUCHME.

Guess just me I really enjoyed the game got a platinum. Maybe just the excitement of Vita launch but that was a cool experience for a portable.

The jump from uncharted 1 to 2 is crazy, I remember thinking the same thing back in 2009 as well. Everything is better, theres not a single thing they missed or didn't improve, fantastic it is.

My favorite setpieces/segments:

1) Ship yard/cruise ship from Uncharted 3. From platform shooting with pirates hanging out in their cozy nooks to the openness of the dynamic floating and bobbing platform arenas to the wave-induced motion of the ship and its cargo to escaping a sinking ship... It's just such a wild ride.

2) The perspective shadow puzzle from Uncharted 3. I absolutely loved this puzzle and I appreciated it tying in to the themes of the game.

3) Jeep flee from Uncharted 1. I thought this was exhilarating back then and I still feel the same way. It's nice to see UC4 sort of brings this back in a big way with added freedom.

The jump from uncharted 1 to 2 is crazy, I remember thinking the same thing back in 2009 as well. Everything is better, theres not a single thing they missed or didn't improve, fantastic it is.
Borneo never impressed me as much as UC1's jungle. Even now as I've just entered the camp in the remaster, I'm a little underwhelmed at the ground geometry and textures compared to DF up to this point so far. I noticed this just after climbing out of the initial swamp where you traverse the log. Not pretty. Not to mention the PS2 esque 2D backdrop of the distant mountain they open Borneo with.

Linius

Just arrived at chapter 8 in Drake's Fortune. Still not too happy with the controls and camera movement at times. But other than that it's a fun game so far. Puzzles are usually very simple. But I enjoy the atmosphere and shooting dudes in the face.

My favorite setpieces/segments:

1) Ship yard/cruise ship from Uncharted 3. From platform shooting with pirates hanging out in their cozy nooks to the openness of the dynamic floating and bobbing platform arenas to the wave-induced motion of the ship and its cargo to escaping a sinking ship... It's just such a wild ride.

2) The perspective shadow puzzle from Uncharted 3. I absolutely loved this puzzle and I appreciated it tying in to the themes of the game.

3) Jeep flee from Uncharted 1. I thought this was exhilarating back then and I still feel the same way. It's nice to see UC4 sort of brings this back in a big way with added freedom.

Well I just finished that, was a cool bit. Reminded me of the classic dash sequences Naughty Dog used to put into Crash Bandicoot games.

shwimpy

Just "crushed"Uncharted 2. U3 is left. It's the only game in the series I didn't platinum on PS3, let alone finish. I think I gave up halfway for whatever reason (I honestly don't remember). I'm tempted to just go on an adventure run and blast through it to see if it's worth platinuming.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Playing this back to back with Uncharted 2 was an odd experience. Given the slower paced start and the weak Syria segment, it feels like a step back at first. Thankfully the quality chateau chapters break up some of the weaker moments. After Syria though, the game grabs me and never lets go. I pretty much marathoned this one, which I didn't even come close to doing with the other ones. The presentation, location variety, art direction, and more personal story all hook me in a way the other games in the series don't and the late game setpieces still get me every time. The character moments also strike me pretty deep and have added and emotional weight to the series that I adore.

I also love the approach to combat in this game. I know there are legitimate complaints about it, many of which I agree with, but I think this one allows the most player freedom in determining how to approach situations and is best about keeping you on your toes so you don't fall into the trap of just sitting in cover. There's a greater distribution of power weapons and each gun feels more unique than they did in previous games, leading to a more thoughful approach to how you want Drake loaded out in order to deal with certain threats. The improved gun sound effects add so much to the combat as well, the shitty pewpew sounds in the first couple games really hurt the punch the combat could have.

This is almost exactly how I feel about Uncharted 3. Periodically reading GAF hate threads over and over again will make me question my feelings on the game ("Hmm, maybe I didn't enjoy it at as much as I thought I did...") and then as soon as I start to play it my immediate reaction is pretty much "Nope, still love it".

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The jetski part in uncharted 1 around chapter 12 is fucking retarded. What were they thinking
Going upstream one? It's been mentioned before, but Elena has auto aim in that section. All you have to do is drive slowly and spam the shoot button. You complete that section in a few minutes even on crushing difficulty if you do that.

Going upstream one? It's been mentioned before, but Elena has auto aim in that section. All you have to do is drive slowly and spam the shoot button. You complete that section in a few minutes even on crushing difficulty if you do that.
The issue was going up the rapids for me. I spent like 10 mins fighting them.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Not taking anything away from blupoint.They did an excellent job with the remasters. But...why didn't they improve the hit detection with uc3? Can it be patched in or have they moved on? It's frustrating thing because It would make uc3 literally 10x more playable.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not taking anything away from blupoint.They did an excellent job with the remasters. But...why didn't they improve the hit detection with uc3? Can it be patched in or have they moved on? It's frustrating thing because It would make uc3 literally 10x more playable.
I hope they do another patch to fix games crashing for some people at some points, but also add the fixes for the few visual glitches, like the cruise ship chandelier window room.

RedAssedApe

Banned

i think they kind of talked about it in general in the digital foundry interview

Digital Foundry: Did you draw a line in the sand on how far you would improve the game? Were there any ideas you didn't implement?

Marco Thrush: Lots of ideas (such as being able to throw grenades back) were discarded early on, mostly because they would change the way the games are balanced. We tried to shy away from making any changes that alter the game substantially from the original unless the desire from Sony/ND was that it should be changed. Other than that, we look at how we remember the games, and how that memory is different from what you see now if you played it on PS3. Then we figure out what we need to do to get it to look good as a game in the present time.

Digital Foundry:You've added additional modes to all Uncharted titles to add variety and replayability, but are there any more subtle gameplay tweaks made to the sequels? From our perspective, there's the sense that you've normalised aiming around Uncharted 2 for example, with the effect that Uncharted 3 actually feels more precise.

Marco Thrush: We've done a significant amount of work, unifying the games and improving aspects of control and aiming. We worked on bringing U1 and U3 closer to U2, but we incorporated some global improvements such as reducing the dead zones, and making analogue aiming more responsive and precise across all three games. We also allow players to increase aiming sensitivity beyond the maximum values in the original PS3 versions. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune had the most drastic set of changes, such as including grenade control and functionality that more closely matches U2.

Almost every system in U1 was touched, from aim assists, switching to cover, toggling weapons, throwing grenades, increasing pick-up radius all the way to improving DDA (Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment) and increasing the size of the collision on enemies' heads, so that headshots feel more fair and satisfying to achieve. We could write pages and pages on how many subtle gameplay tweaks we've made to all three games but in a nutshell we tried to make the games feel like you remember them playing instead of how they functionally were. The goal was to update and improve the systems while still keeping the integrity of the originals.

Listening to my UC3 ost cd in the car... Yeah, UC4 is going to need to sound more than just some summer blockbuster sountrack. The layers in those tracks are a treat to listen to and I feel like they're more than your typical, generic movie score. I don't know much about this new guy and I've listened to some samples people have linked but maybe it's probably just not coming across as anything special without context and through YouTube on mobile I guess.

Top Bottom