• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

VinFTW

Man, I have zero complaints with this collection.

UC1 felt SO much better to play. UC2 plays like a dream.

The best part about it? I barely remember UC2 and UC3, so it's ALMOST like playing through them fresh again.

Such an incredible franchise.

Cutter leaving in 3 bothers me less than that Sully bailing out in 2.

^^^

It'd be like introducing Chloe in 2 and having her GTFO never to be seen again after like the chapter where Elena gets in the game.

I now understand why they did it as I got the explanation, but it still feels extremely badly done.

"Here's this great character who will be the addition to the cast like Chloe was in 2, oh you really like him eh? Too bad, you'll never see him after this early chapter"

Ah.

Well I see they attempted to make the best out of what they had. I guess that now my only comment is why they didn't drive it further that Nate was alienating people throughout the game.

Uncharted 3 is much more opaque and subtle game than its predecessors. Talbot and some of the historical characters are essentially magicians who specialize in sleight of hand but won't reveal their secrets and instead rely on their audience's imagination and that carries through to the rest of the game.

Just look at how Drake and Elena's marriage is handled- you don't get any information on what is going on with Elena at all for almost half of the game and when you do they almost never speak plainly and directly to another. The player almost has to piece together that they had a failed marriage (the game won't even come out and say whether they are divorced or just separated).

Marlowe drops the information that Drake isn't even his real name and hints at some potential other secrets about Nate and Scully's past but of course doesn't provide more details. Once again left to the player's imagination.

I think it's what makes the game kind of unsatisfying for some people- Uncharted 2 kind of went out of its way to put a pretty bow on everything so the change up in story telling in UC3 can be kind of jarring and can make it feel incomplete.

I know the first time I played I found the back half of the game almost haunting and depressing. It just felt very lonely. But I also think that's what we are intended to feel- Nate has pushed away everyone he was close to and put the closest thing that he has to a father in mortal danger. There is less fun in his life as a result despite the player going through set piece after set piece that rivals the best stuff in the previous games.

Comparing signature set pieces: In the train scene from Uncharted 2 Nate leaves Elena behind to try to rescue Chloe and, though he comes out the other end banged up, he is rewarded by awakening to Elena in a village that is almost like paradise. In Uncharted 3's equivalent scene, the plane, he once again leaves Elena on a rescue mission but this time when he wakes it is to a Scully that is a figment of his imagination. And the paradise that he finds is a literal mirage.

I don't know whether Hennig intended for the game to have these themes all along or if it was something that materialized due to production schedule shorter than they wanted but I think it still is remarkably effective thematically.

See that's a point that maybe I'd appreciate on more playthroughs but there is a thin line between subtlety and vagueness and I feel this game is just vague. While I agree that the convenience of scenes like in 2 where Nate wakes up in a beautiful village to find his love interest waiting for him are a bit too on the nose, that doesn't mean the rest of the choices I appreciated on this first playthrough.

Even if they attempted to be subtle they could have made it clearer in other ways that Nate was pushing people away to follow this dream. I would have preferred more scenes with Elena where we see just how far their marriage had fallen. Instead we get a game that feels like scenes were cut out/edited out that expanded on the story. Yes it feels probably a bit more realistic in that regard that not everything is 'given to you on a silver platter' but at the same time a little more emotion would be nice.

When Elena finds out that Nate
is alive after the boat scene
I wasn't a fan of the beginning part of that scene where she sees him. Almost felt like the game didn't want to expand on any emotion in that particular instance and just wanted to speed things along, then had a touching scene at the end. The Uncharted 4 teaser of Elena disappointed with him feels like it has more emotion to it than anything in the other games, and I am looking forward to that.

Even if they attempted to be subtle they could have made it clearer in other ways that Nate was pushing people away to follow this dream. I would have preferred more scenes with Elena where we see just how far their marriage had fallen.

Eh, I think the game does a pretty decent job at that. Scully tries to get Nate to back off a little at the end of The Chateau. Chloe then reads him the riot act after Charlie nearly dies in Yemen and then bails out herself. Elena lays into him for putting Scully in danger right after that. Nate ignores all of their advice and Scully is kidnapped and Nate spends most of the second half of the game alone.

Just started UC3.

WOW! The remaster is just bringing out all the fantastic art this game has. It's absolutely jaw dropping stuff.

I literally cannot get over how impressive it looks:
FfcYmJ3.png

I don't know what it is but I am loving the Uncharted franchise.

I've almost completed 2 and look forward to playing 3 but yeah, it's been a blast.
The dialogue, characters, level design, and puzzles are so enjoyable.
I mean I get pissed when I die but it just makes me want to try harder.

Thank you Naughty Dog for this franchise.

I missed out on great times when these were first released and now I may consider Uncharted my favorite franchise of all time

leng jai

Just finished up the most contentious game of the series.

Let me start by saying that I was pleasantly surprised with my time with the UC3 remaster, and it polishes up extremely well. If someone told me it was a 2015 PS4 game I wouldn't have given it a second thought, and that's before taking into account it runs at 60fps. Out of all three games I actually think the third iteration benefited the most from this overhaul despite being the newest. Aside from the screen tearing, UC1 ran and looked great for its time. Needless to say UC2 blew minds from day one and managed to achieve its look with solid IQ and a stable frame rate. Replaying the remaster was fantastic but it lacked that extra "wow" factor, because let's face it, the 2009 version was that good already. With UC3 Naughty Dog really pushed the envelope too far and it was clear that the PS3 wasn't really capable of their vision. The balance between graphics, polish and performance that UC2 had was lost in the third game.

This is where the PS4 hardware steps in, and finally, we get to see UC3 in all its glory. It's hard to even believe that this was once a console game released in 2011. The textures and lighting are excellent even by today's standards, and the boost in fidelity finally allows the art to shine. The desert sections in particular are just so much better now - the PS3 version always had a terribly grainy look them, the
horse/convoy
set piece in particular used to almost look like a poorly encoded video with all its artefacts. The
Chateau
and
Plane drop
set pieces are equally as impressive even today, especially in 1080p/60fps. It just proves that no one nails bombastic spectacles as consistently as Naughty Dog do. People who didn't play the original will never know how much smoother and more polished this version is.

From a gameplay perspective the improvements are more marginal, but still make a difference. Obviously the 60fps makes the game feel infinitely better, but it's also the tweaks to the aiming which bring it more in line with UC2. Unfortunately the lack of enemy hit reactions remains the same which is a real annoyance, especially on higher difficulties. In a way it actually helped me concentrate on getting more head shots, and when you get into that groove UC3 feels very good to play. Interestingly the gun sounds seem to have been tweaked or completely replaced, and they now sound much more satisfying. That alone makes a huge difference for me, and honestly I wish they gave UC2 the same treatment. Even with the much better aiming and super smooth frame rate, there's still the same annoying encounter design. The whole middle section in the
shipyard
is still an exercise of pure frustration, but probably about 10% more tolerable in the remaster.

I feel like the remaster has actually bridged the quality gap between UC2 and UC3, mainly due to the fact that the latter had more flaws that could be easily fixed. UC2 is still the better game, but it's not the same gap as there once was. Let me finish by saying that we shouldn't take this collection for granted - it's a virtually flawless remastering of all three games in one of the best franchises around. Thank you for your work Blue Point.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Interestingly the gun sounds seem to have been tweaked or completely replaced, and they now sound much more satisfying. That alone makes a huge difference for me, and honestly I wish they gave UC2 the same treatment.
I think UC3 originally had better sounding weapons than UC2, so neither received any extra treatment on that front.

I just beat Uncharted 1 on Hard with 52 collectibles. If I want to play Crushing and find the last 8 items, do I select New Game or select chapter 1? I also want any progress with "weapons kills" trophies to transfer over.

ron_bato

Holy crap, Hard mode is kicking my ass at times in Uncharted 1 lol. I don't know how you guys put up with crushing.

Also thank the heavens that the jet ski sequence was much easier now. Easily one of my top 3 most frustrating gaming moments last generation.

fallingdove

Bluepoint did a fantastic job with the remaster.

Through chapter 11 of Drake's Fortune, the game feels so good. I am really glad they tweaked the shooting mechanics.

Robot Pants

Yes I just finished uc1 and had a blast. I remember that one the least of all of them but the remaster makes it shine. It looked amazing.

But I can't wait to get to 3. It must look incredible

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Up to Chapter 6 in Uncharted:DF and man, this game is pretty damn fun still. The water room only took me 2 tries on Hard unlike the first time that took many many tries. No glitches used either time.

edit: But man, can I see the complaints about the wave upon wave of enemies, now that games have slightly progressed past this phase. They come from every crack in the walls everywhere!

ron_bato

Crushing generally isn't much more difficult than Hard. You die in both fast enough that the difference in damage is pretty negligible.

Yeah, i noticed 3 shots square from the 9 mm (i think) get me killed. But after the last third of the game, which got progressively worse in some combat situations, I don't think I'm up for a crushing run.

Also I've forgotten how cheap some of the encounters in Uncharted 1 are. There was a guy fucking hiding under the stairs in one instance, waiting for you to go up, so he can one shot you with a shotty lol. It took me three tries to realize where he was coming from.

Wrapped up UC2 last night having not played it since like 2010.

Wow I forgot what a thrilling ride that game is. The step up from UC1 after having immediately played it is astounding, in terms of character interaction and development, the verticality of the level design and scope of puzzles.

The pacing is just immaculate too with the perfect blend of quiet moments and balls to the wall set pieces (which are still great even in 2015). On to UC3 now which is still my favourite in the series but after playing UC2 now things may change haha.

I finished uncharted 2 last night, much like last time I found it incredible, but the last boss is completely awful.

Hmm yeah the last boss isn't great. I basically kept lapping that entire room and getting my shots off at Lazaravich/tree sap nodes every 20-30 seconds. Not very fun.

Hopefully ND have something great for us in UC4 as a final level!

Yes, some set pieces' mechanics in UC 3 are copies of ones found in its predecessor, but they're damn good and still were a marvel to play through.

To those who complain about the desert sequence, I thought that it was a great way for the player to reflect on the journey and perils that he/she has gone through with Nathan. Asking the question: "Is it worth dying over, Nathan?" Sure, in UC 2 he got himself into that situation while looking for
Chloe
, but in UC 3 he was looking for someone who had played a more substantial role in his life. Unfortunately some of this concern was taken away from seeing previews of UC 4, as it took away the element of plausibility and surprise. Nevertheless, it still drove me to find this person.

Certinty

Agreed. The game really ups the difficulty near the end, and the last boss is just annoying as hell. DLLLAAAAKKEEEEE!!!!!!
Yeah I couldn't believe the difficulty jump the last few chapters, not that it's too hard or anything but it just happens out of nowhere.

Last boss really does suck though, so boring and repetitive. Unfortunately I sort of remember how Uncharted 3 ends too so i'm not looking forward to that chapter when I get around to it.

Uncharted 3 is starting to remind me of Resident Evil 6 in how you're constantly being interrupted during gameplay. Uncharted 2 had things happening around you but it never disrupted the flow.

mauaus

Can I get the platinums by just going through each game once in crushing? Or do i have to complete other difficulties to do so?

Can I get the platinums by just going through each game once in crushing? Or do i have to complete other difficulties to do so?

The Platinum is achieved by beating it on Crushing, Brutal and a few others are in a DLC add on trophy list. You'll likely get some of those playing normally other than Brutals gold.

Completing the games on crushing will also give you the trophies for all lower difficulties. You don't need the brutal trophy for platinum but you need all treasures and need to complete some challenge type trophies as well.

mauaus

Just finished Uncharted 1. I still think the first game has the best textures in the series.

I finished all theses games when they where released on ps3. Made the mistake of launching UC1 last night just to see what it looks like before going to bed. I am now a zombie at work because i ended up playing for 4 chapters on crushing

dr_rus

For all the praise of Bluepoint on how good the remasters are I'm actually having a bit too many issues with UC1 and UC2 right now.

UC1 feels completely rebalanced compared to the original and that doesn't make it better, it actually makes it worse. Encounters which were trivial on PS3 are suddenly hard on PS4 and those which were hard are trivial now. A couple of times I've ran into glitches with AI with enemies not reacting to my appearance. I feel that the game needs a couple of patches before it will be a good remaster.

And am I the only one with Nate's running forward control issue in UC2? How did that even happen? I literally need to press the stick into the plastic to get Nate running when looking forward. Never had such issue on PS3 so that's something new to the remaster as well.

I also feel that they've went too far on blurring in their post-AA solution, games are lacking too much fine details for a native 1080p output. I wish they'd give us an option of using MSAA instead of post-AA while dropping down to 30 fps from 60.

AF is also too low on some textures. Shouldn't be a problem to bump it to 16x for PS4 there. An oversight really.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
UC1 feels completely rebalanced compared to the original and that doesn't make it better, it actually makes it worse. Encounters which were trivial on PS3 are suddenly hard on PS4 and those which were hard are trivial now. A couple of times I've ran into glitches with AI with enemies not reacting to my appearance.
Interesting - I never noticed anything out of ordinary with UC1 that goes hard against what I remember playing from UC1 on PS3. What encounter are much harder now? Playing on Hard I only stumbled a but on exact same places I found to be hard before.

And am I the only one with Nate's running forward control issue in UC2? How did that even happen? I literally need to press the stick into the plastic to get Nate running when looking forward. Never had such issue on PS3 so that's something new to the remaster as well.
I'd try another controller first, just to be sure. I will test this tonight and tell you what I find. How about running in other directions? Are you saying you only have to push the stick all the way up to run forward, but not all the way to the left/right/back when you want to run left/right/back?

AF is also too low on some textures. Shouldn't be a problem to bump it to 16x for PS4 there. An oversight really.
AF seems to be hand-tuned for each individual texture in the game, ranging from 4-16x depending on a scene and a texture, so that makes me think it's probably as high as it can go, before the performance would start to suffer for any given scene.

Uncharted 3 is much more opaque and subtle game than its predecessors. Talbot and some of the historical characters are essentially magicians who specialize in sleight of hand but won't reveal their secrets and instead rely on their audience's imagination and that carries through to the rest of the game.

Just look at how Drake and Elena's marriage is handled- you don't get any information on what is going on with Elena at all for almost half of the game and when you do they almost never speak plainly and directly to another. The player almost has to piece together that they had a failed marriage (the game won't even come out and say whether they are divorced or just separated).

Marlowe drops the information that Drake isn't even his real name and hints at some potential other secrets about Nate and Scully's past but of course doesn't provide more details. Once again left to the player's imagination.

I think it's what makes the game kind of unsatisfying for some people- Uncharted 2 kind of went out of its way to put a pretty bow on everything so the change up in story telling in UC3 can be kind of jarring and can make it feel incomplete.

I know the first time I played I found the back half of the game almost haunting and depressing. It just felt very lonely. But I also think that's what we are intended to feel- Nate has pushed away everyone he was close to and put the closest thing that he has to a father in mortal danger. There is less fun in his life as a result despite the player going through set piece after set piece that rivals the best stuff in the previous games.

Comparing signature set pieces: In the train scene from Uncharted 2 Nate leaves Elena behind to try to rescue Chloe and, though he comes out the other end banged up, he is rewarded by awakening to Elena in a village that is almost like paradise. In Uncharted 3's equivalent scene, the plane, he once again leaves Elena on a rescue mission but this time when he wakes it is to a Scully that is a figment of his imagination. And the paradise that he finds is a literal mirage.

I don't know whether Hennig intended for the game to have these themes all along or if it was something that materialized due to production schedule shorter than they wanted but I think it still is remarkably effective thematically.
That's exactly what they were going for. It's what the name "Drake's Deception" implies.

But for the love of Victor goddamn Sullivan, it's Sully, not Scully =P.

Alo0oy

Banned
Brutal is total bullshit, I decided not to play Brutal in Uncharted 2 because of how terrible it was in Uncharted 1, but my OCD to get 100% is preventing me from leaving it alone.

I spent 15 minutes dying at the section where you escape Borneo with Sully, it's such a poorly balanced difficulty, as soon as the checkpoint starts I immediately start running, but then I die anyway because bluepoint didn't take into account scripted events like this (for the people that don't remember, it's a chase sequence where you get shot at as you're running away, but because of the poorly balanced difficulty, you can die as soon as the checkpoint starts).

I got lucky after 15 minutes & all the bullets hit me, & I killed the soldier that ambushes Nate by pure luck, I ran into his back so Nate snapped his neck immediately.

Now that I beat the Uncharted titles I'm moving on to The Last of Us. I had completely forgotten I had bought the game on PS4 some months back lol.

This one will be more of a refresher and actual experience though as I've seen the whole playthrough of the story before.

Audette

basically what i'm always wondering when i read about people platinuming games lol

Well I'm a little bit of a weirdo, having had an absolute blast playing Uncharted 3 on crushing. I would say that the hardest part was the
Ball room fight on the cruise ship ugggh...

I can see where why though and I think I am going to take on Uncharted 4 in normal mode first. The amount of deaths I personally get can ruin the flow of the story and action sequences. I'll wanna savour the game so I don't mind doing it a few times.

Well I'm a little bit of a weirdo, having had an absolute blast playing Uncharted 3 on crushing. I would say that the hardest part was the
Ball room fight on the cruise ship ugggh...

I can see where why though and I think I am going to take on Uncharted 4 in normal mode first. The amount of deaths I personally get can ruin the flow of the story and action sequences. I'll wanna savour the game so I don't mind doing it a few times.

Yea I'm not playing UC4 on Crushing/Hard out the gate, it'll kill the experience for me. I died in UC1 in some places literally for hours over and over.

Top Bottom