• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Just checked 1up and Gamespot and they have no stories on Uncharted. What's going on with the Media? Is it too early? Is Kittonwy right?

New trailers were released, game went gold. Could it be that those beta versions were only sent out to European outlets?

Not even IGN has them front and center and only as a part of the news. I guess when the demo comes out we will see a lot more but so far the Media has been extremely lacking.

Firewire

Banned
PistolGrip said:
Just checked 1up and Gamespot and they have no stories on Uncharted. What's going on with the Media? Is it too early? Is Kittonwy right?

New trailers were released, game went gold. Could it be that those beta versions were only sent out to European outlets?

Not even IGN has them front and center and only as a part of the news. I guess when the demo comes out we will see a lot more but so far the Media has been extremely lacking.

Yeah it sux bad! I fear Uncharted is getting the cold shoulder from the media!

Kittonwy

Banned
PistolGrip said:

A kitton is always right, even if he's wrong, he's still right, forget about it rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

deepbrown said:
Correct...should be reduced to £32 :p

And this is great. We're talking about FOUR of my favorite games...POP, ICO, SOTC and TR in the Uncharted thread. Uncharted has everything there...and I just hope it doesn't get put down by stupid FPS fans, but I think even Uncharted is trying to cater to those weird shooter lovers too.

Don't you think TRL pretty much ripped off POP and Ico in terms of platforming? That's why I don't get the Tomb Raider comparisons. As far as setting and story, Uncharted is coming far closer to the source material that both 'ripped off'. Plus Uncharted gives off an old adventure game vibe, something no Tomb Raider has ever done.

And because it isn't said enough, ND have been making platformers for over a decade and there is a definite progression from Crash to Jak to Uncharted. This is their field, they don't need to rip anyone off. In fact, as far as I'm concerned they're the second best platformer devs out there (Nintendo win though).

Loudninja

PistolGrip said:

What are you talking about?yes they do

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Firewire said:

We know why 1up isn't ;)

Just kidding, they obviously loved it on the 1up show. I'm sure we'll see coverage in the next couple of weeks.

Forsete

Firewire said:

Hmm.. Nah, with all these preview videos popping up, I dont think so.
I saw it today on a swedish game show on TV400, or it was a trailer for the program. Also several sites have tested it so they seem to be pimping it in Europe.

sol_bad

VonGak! said:
To break out of the boring "meh reviews" loop we have caught us self in:

Here's a repost of 3 IMO well played shooting segments of Uncharted.

Boat:
http://www.game1.nl/gamevideos/vide...ted-Drakes-Fortune---Eerste-Tien-Minuten.html
(87,3 MB)

Fort:
http://www.gameinformer.com/images/~media/2007/uncharted/uncharted-1.flv
(8,42 MB)
http://www.gameinformer.com/images/~media/2007/uncharted/uncharted-2.flv
(7,75 MB)

I just love the real time chatter commenting on the action, the openness, the fighting and the bullet spraying. The game just looks so hectic to me.

Could someone please make gifs of the most hectic moments? ^.^

Can anyone explain to me how to download this video as I can't figure it out. I press the MP4 button down the bottom left hand corner, a new window pops up and then nothing else.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
shagg_187, what compass? Have you been looking at that background pattern like a stereogram? I tried doing that, and while I can see the depth, I can't see anything other then, well, random pattern.

I have however, found this:

download.png

by looking through their .css file

It's a picture that probably appears when you enter the correct password, only in that case the picture would link to something

Luckyman

Banned
PistolGrip said:

What? The game was just on the 1upshow and there is a 10.30 preview up on Gamespot.

tanod

when is my burrito
OK I need some Shiksal experts. I've seen the PSN trailers and the 1UP Show coverage. What is the single most definitely must-see gameplay trailer?

Loudninja

Uncharted's opening level offers a taste of what Uncharted seems to be offering in abundance--an enjoyable action adventure with intuitive controls backed up by a compelling storyline. The cover system works quite well, and it's clear right off the bat that taking intelligent cover will be an extremely important skill to master in Uncharted. While hand-to-hand combat seems well implemented, it looks like something which gamers will use mostly as a last resort, as even in this opening level opponents would often block attacks (not to mention leaving Nathan open to gunfire from other enemies). And even in this opening level, the strength of the story, characters, and the writing shines through

This is from gamepost on October 30

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Luckyman said:
What? The game was just on the 1upshow and there is a 10.30 preview up on Gamespot.
1up show was about a month ago... Gamespot Preview on the 30th was weak at best. Is the new trailer even on their site?

Hopefully the demo gives it more attention.

deepbrown

freethought said:
Don't you think TRL pretty much ripped off POP and Ico in terms of platforming? That's why I don't get the Tomb Raider comparisons. As far as setting and story, Uncharted is coming far closer to the source material that both 'ripped off'. Plus Uncharted gives off an old adventure game vibe, something no Tomb Raider has ever done.

And because it isn't said enough, ND have been making platformers for over a decade and there is a definite progression from Crash to Jak to Uncharted. This is their field, they don't need to rip anyone off. In fact, as far as I'm concerned they're the second best platformer devs out there (Nintendo win though).

I talk not of TRL...POP copied TR, TR copied POP. I don't care. It's all good.

Rolf NB

tanod said:
OK I need some Shiksal experts. I've seen the PSN trailers and the 1UP Show coverage. What is the single most definitely must-see gameplay trailer?
1upshow was the best one, really gave a nice, long look at the fighting and those indoor environments are a rare sight.

Loudninja

PistolGrip said:
1up show was about a month ago... Gamespot Preview on the 30th was weak at best. Is the new trailer even on their site?

Hopefully the demo gives it more attention.

Dude come on :lol they do not have to report every day on it

Kittonwy

Banned
Loudninja said:
Dude come on :lol they do not have to report every day on it

IGN has a fucking launch center for both Assassins and Smackdown, both are way less important to the PS3 platform than Uncharted. Still no Halloween trailer at either IGN or 1UP, Gamespot is currently down but last I checked it didn't have the Halloween trailer. It's a piece of new, high quality media, is that too much to ask?
Indifferent2.gif

deepbrown

Kittonwy said:
IGN has a fucking launch center for both Assassins and Smackdown, both are way less important to the PS3 platform than Uncharted. Still no Halloween trailer at either IGN or 1UP, Gamespot is currently down but last I checked it didn't have the Halloween trailer. It's a piece of new, high quality media, is that too much to ask?
Indifferent2.gif
16x16smileysadgi9.gif

Loudninja

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

16x16smileysadgi9.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif
Things like "Launch Center" are paid for by the publisher like an advertisement, almost for sure. Who knows, maybe Sony didn't even send that trailer to media, for whatever reason.

Raist

Banned
Just dl'd and watched the "massive trailer" (lulz) on my new TV. Oh my. Can't wait. it looks fucking incredible.

Also :
16x16smileysadgi9.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
shagg_187 said:
Nice. Where'd you find it from?

also, inside the page all you see is a picture of a compass :/
Oh man, now I see what you mean. I feel like a biggest dumbass in the world...

The picture of compass you get there is supposed to be superimposed onto that big map you get on sullivanstories.com. It gives you three more missing symbols on the compass (tattoo picture from piratecrimes.org gives you three more symbols)

Raist said:
Just dl'd and watched the "massive trailer" (lulz) on my new TV. Oh my. Can't wait. it looks fucking incredible.

Also :
16x16smileysadgi9.gif

I'm still watching the damn thing. It's quite possibly the best
non-MGS
video game trailer I've ever seen. I mean, trailers aren't really that important in the grand scheme of things but goddamn it was afw!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Marconelly said:
Things like "Launch Center" are paid for by the publisher like an advertisement, almost for sure. Who knows, maybe Sony didn't even send that trailer to media, for whatever reason.
I think you are right... I'm going to spam SCEA blog and tell them to send the vid to the media and some gifts while they are added ;) .

Loudninja

So what did other sites have to say about Uncharted?

I dont care for reviews ,but that does not mean I dont want it to do well :-D

1UP
Uncharted part starts at 19:28, the seems to really like the game.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163642

GAMEINFORMER
And there rumor score that they gave it is 10/10
Feast your eyes on this! We have some exclusive media for Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune. The new Naughty Dog game is an all out action/adventure games that could give the genre the kick start it needs is a world of shooters and MMOs. From what we have seen, the game has tightened the bolts on just about everything. The cut-scenes are some of the best around an the animations are top notch. Uncharted is slated to hit Nov 20 and will be a must buy for any PlayStation 3 owner.
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200710/N07.1029.1045.54267.htm

IGN
They seem very postive as well
Naughty Dog's latest is looking great at this point, and we can't wait to see how Uncharted: Drake's Fortune will turn out in the end. We expect great things from the finished product and are eagerly anticipating the title's November release.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/825/825467p1.html

geekpulp
New Demo impressions from geekpupl, very postive as well
http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2007/11/01/uncharted-video-preview/

PALGN
This is new impressions form PALGN, very postive
Those worried about whether Naughty Dog would make the transition to the PlayStation 3 effectively have no need to worry, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is shaping up to be one of the best PlayStation 3 games yet.
http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=9274&rss=1&title=Uncharted:+Drake's+Fortune+Preview

Gamespot

Uncharted's opening level offers a taste of what Uncharted seems to be offering in abundance--an enjoyable action adventure with intuitive controls backed up by a compelling storyline. The cover system works quite well, and it's clear right off the bat that taking intelligent cover will be an extremely important skill to master in Uncharted. While hand-to-hand combat seems well implemented, it looks like something which gamers will use mostly as a last resort, as even in this opening level opponents would often block attacks (not to mention leaving Nathan open to gunfire from other enemies). And even in this opening level, the strength of the story, characters, and the writing shines through

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Loudninja said:

1UP

GAMEINFORMER

IGN

geekpulp

PALGN

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=9274&rss=1&title=Uncharted:+Drake's+Fortune+Preview

Gamespot

Aaaaawwwyeah Uncharted fest hopefully I will turn out to be Freaking aweomse yeah yeah!

AAK

I hope Sony doesn't force ND to cough out another sequel if it is really successful, because I am really craving a next gen Jak and Daxter.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
AAK said:
I hope Sony doesn't force ND to cough out another sequel if it is really successful, because I am really craving a next gen Jak and Daxter.
I'm sure Jack and Daxter has already been in development for a bit ;)

Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier registered long ago and the EGM rumors

AAK

PistolGrip said:
Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier registered long ago and the EGM rumors

For some reason, Lost Frontier sounds like a spin off project oursourced to some other dev similar to how RAD did Daxter.

But I wish I'm wrong and you're right.

jey_16

Banned
Loudninja said:

1UP

GAMEINFORMER

IGN

geekpulp

PALGN

Gamespot

most sites have positive previews for pretty much every game, i remember reading the Killzone previews and thinking this game is going to be awesome......and then the reviews came, and then i rented the game and then i realized how shit it was

i still think Uncharted will be a dam good game based on what i have seen but i wouldn't be surprised if it didnt get some average reviews

it would have been nice if the companies spread out their releases a bit though, the last PS3 game i bought was R6:Vegas and then i one month i want to buy Uncharted, Ratchet, COD4, Orange Box and maybe Assassins Creed

obviously some of those games are going to take a hit in sales due to the competition, hopefully its not Uncharted

Kittonwy

Banned
AAK said:

ND planned Uncharted as a franchise all along, kind of like Indy, they will probably go right back to work on a sequel after they come back from vacation, Uncharted is more of a creation from the post-Rubin ND (Wells, Balestra, Hennig, Lemarchand) than the Jak series ever was. It would be interesting to see how far they can take the mascot-driven cartoon style but what more can they do with the Jak series in terms of story and gameplay?

Dizzan

MINI Member
Kittonwy said:
ND planned Uncharted as a franchise all along, kind of like Indy, they will probably go right back to work on a sequel after they come back from vacation, Uncharted is more of a creation from the post-Rubin ND (Wells, Balestra, Hennig, Lemarchand) than the Jak series ever was. It would be interesting to see how far they can take the mascot-driven cartoon style but what more can they do with the Jak series in terms of story and gameplay?

More Uncharted = Happy Dizzan

AAK

Kittonwy said:

Fine not necessarily a Jak and Daxter game.... but I just want to see them do something more sci-fi or fantasy for their next game rather than a sequel to the realistic Uncharted. I had some of the most fun on my PS2 with Jak 2 and Jak 3 because I think the hoverboard related platforming elements were uncomaparably blissful fun. And I want to see some more of it plus all of the other things ND must have scrapped from the previous Jak games.

Marconelly said:
shagg_187, what compass? Have you been looking at that background pattern like a stereogram? I tried doing that, and while I can see the depth, I can't see anything other then, well, random pattern.

I have however, found this:

by looking through their .css file

It's a picture that probably appears when you enter the correct password, only in that case the picture would link to something

OH. I thought you knew the password. Says RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU :p

http://www.brothersofdrake.com/

Password:
Sic Parvis Magna

When you enter, you see picture of a compass...

EDIT: Ahh! you found it :p

jey_16 said:
most sites have positive previews for pretty much every game, i remember reading the Killzone previews and thinking this game is going to be awesome......and then the reviews came, and then i rented the game and then i realized how shit it was

The difference between Uncharted's preview and a lot of other games that get previewed is that for some reason people previewing it hasn't held off on its flaws and have pointed out the problems its had from the start. The recent previews though have said those problems are now gone and have nothing but praise for it.

Yoboman

Kittonwy said:
Yeah on the boat when he was talking to Sully it was white and clean, then it turned into a rag that one uses to wash the toilet, maybe Drake just likes to roll around in the mud or something. Thank god Elena doesn't end up anywhere nearly as filthy.
Indifferent2.gif
I want clean shirt unlockable
Indifferent2.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
shagg_187 said:
OH. I thought you knew the password. Says RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU :p
I know - but when I opened that page, I saw that that phrase immediatelly, and the first thing I thought was - haha, here's one thing that WILL NOT be a password for this. Then I went inputting all kinds of stuff that was found earlier in the game.

And... yeah.

keyrat

Kittonwy said:
ND planned Uncharted as a franchise all along, kind of like Indy

I hope they keep the Uncharted series going by creating a completely new adventure, without Drake but with someone else and in a different place.

Top Bottom