• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kyoufu said:
I have Warhawk and I've been playing more PS2 games than it or anything else. The game is mediocre. No depth, glitchy to all hell and match-making has been a shambles. They should've stuck with the single-player game.

Sorry to continue the derail but Warhawk is certainly not a mediocre game. There's plenty of depth there with a lot of strategy and numerous ways to handle any given situation. As far as I've seen there's only one glitch which is actually pretty easy to combat and there is no match-making (they stuck with the more traditional server list, which is superior imo) so I don't know how it could be described as a shambles. If you're talking about the frequent connection problems, lucky for you 1.1 just sorted that shit out.

Anyway, it got no comment last time so I'll bring it up again; the pirate in the latest trailer screaming "Oh God, no" is looking down as he says it. Also, has the ring Drake's wearing been talked about? It's definitely of significance.

Pachimari

Anastacio said:
I'm probably gonna play through the review copy next week, as my boss'll probably get it by monday.

But can anyone tell me, where I can buy the american version if I live in Europe?
Thanks.
Anyone knows?
I tried amazon.com, yes-asia and play-asia and of course they don't send to european territory as I actually knew because of that lawsuit. But anywhere else? Don't mention GameStop/EBGames. =)

deepbrown

Anastacio said:
Anyone knows?
I tried amazon.com, yes-asia and play-asia and of course they don't send to european territory as I actually knew because of that lawsuit. But anywhere else? Don't mention GameStop/EBGames. =)

Ummm the Ratchet thread were listing loads.

quetz67

Banned
Kyoufu said:
You only need one site for all your US game needs. http://www.videogamesplus.ca/
How long does it take to ship to europe? Will I usually have to pay VAT over here in europe?

I used to get my games from Hongkong (via ebay) lately. Get new games for some 50 Euros incl. shipping, takes about one week, never sold any VAT as they mark it as gift.

deepbrown

Anastacio said:
When you call me by my name, I'll tell you:D

Can I ask the people at videogamesplus.ca if they can send it as a gift?

Don't you like "pistachio"? I think it's a cool nickname. Let's be honest, it used to be my nickname. I'm just bitter about mine "deepbrown" LOL

Anastacio, what language is it in?

Danish to English translators suck :(

ChryZ

Kyoufu said:
I have Warhawk and I've been playing more PS2 games than it or anything else. The game is mediocre. No depth, glitchy to all hell and match-making has been a shambles. They should've stuck with the single-player game.
4vod0m0.gif

spwolf

deepbrown said:
Warhawk...I hate online. But Warhawk is the best online I've ever played. I WUV IT. And I rock at hit. And there's so much depth...I mean you can fly a friggin Warhawk lol. No glitches here...and matchmaking has been fixed. I have friends everywhere to play against though, from neogaf to B3d (CLAN LEADER WOOOO) lol

anyone can say wowhak HAD some glitches, but that didnt stop GAF players to rack up 60+ hours in the game.

I have 65hrs in the game, and I am ranked 12,000-15,000. Warhawk is steal of the century.

Goldrusher

deepbrown said:
Yuh that's the one.

Videogamesplus is great, but the Canadian dollar is getting expensive compared to the plummeting US dollar.

Uncharted at MovieTyme.com = 44 euro
Uncharted at VideoGamesplus = 54 euro
Uncharted retail price in Europe = 70 euro

Quite a difference already.

keyrat

Yoboman said:
What the Hell would be the point of that?

Kind of like the way Final Fantasy does sequels. If Nathan Drake is in the sequel, he'll no longer be some random guy chasing treasure; he'll be a seasoned vet. Then you have to explain why he's being put in a similar situation, and tie up loose ends to make it seem plausible.

I think it'd be great if they did like Uncharted: King Tut's Tomb, with some new anthropologist guy (or wherever they want to take it). No need to explain why the hell Nathan Drake is now in Egypt or when he became a professional treasure hunter. It just feels to me like it could really make the series like the de facto game for adventuring, without ever getting too old because the setting and story would be completely new every time (with small references to past games of course), while the gameplay would be based off Nathan Drake.

Raist

Banned
quetz67 said:
How long does it take to ship to europe? Will I usually have to pay VAT over here in europe?

I used to get my games from Hongkong (via ebay) lately. Get new games for some 50 Euros incl. shipping, takes about one week, never sold any VAT as they mark it as gift.

Well, took a week for me, but for other people here it was faster (3-4 days). 1 week is still decent since there's always a 2-3 weeks delay for europe release (best case scenario).
Not tax either, they write a $20 value on the package.

Kittonwy

Banned
keyrat said:
Kind of like the way Final Fantasy does sequels. If Nathan Drake is in the sequel, he'll no longer be some random guy chasing treasure; he'll be a seasoned vet. Then you have to explain why he's being put in a similar situation, and tie up loose ends to make it seem plausible.

I think it'd be great if they did like Uncharted: King Tut's Tomb, with some new anthropologist guy (or wherever they want to take it). No need to explain why the hell Nathan Drake is now in Egypt or when he became a professional treasure hunter. It just feels to me like it could really make the series like the de facto game for adventuring, without ever getting too old because the setting and story would be completely new every time (with small references to past games of course), while the gameplay would be based off Nathan Drake.

That makes as much sense as having an Indy movie with some dork being the main character instead of Indy. Why spend so much effort creating a character like Drake and have players grow attached to him, then instead of letting player play as him like in the first game, you have to play as some stupid random guy? Sorry but Naughty Dog is not capcom, they're one development team so they don't really have that problem of one team trying to erase another director's legacy by trying to push a new character.

quetz67

Banned
Raist said:
Well, took a week for me, but for other people here it was faster (3-4 days). 1 week is still decent since there's always a 2-3 weeks delay for europe release (best case scenario).
Not tax either, they write a $20 value on the package.
yeah, thanks, one week is fine at the low shipping costs...just got it preordered

keyrat

Kittonwy said:
That makes as much sense as having an Indy movie with some dork being the main character instead of Indy. Why spend so much effort creating a character like Drake and have players grow attached to him, then instead of letting player play as him like in the first game, you have to play as some stupid random guy? Sorry but Naughty Dog is not capcom, they're one development team so they don't really have that problem of one team trying to erase another director's legacy by trying to push a new character.

Sure, you could probably get Nathan Drake in a sequel and not mess it up, but once that third game comes along, it's going to start feeling stale.

A good example is God of War. The second one was a great game, but the story could not even come close to the first one, because we had to continue Kratos' life, which was somewhat finalized in the first game.

Firewire

Banned
keyrat said:
A good example is God of War. The second one was a great game, but the story could not even come close to the first one, because we had to continue Kratos' life, which was somewhat finalized in the first game.

Raist

Banned
JB1981 said:
haha that amazed me too - look at the animation. stunning

The most impressive thing with this move (and others) is that the collision detection looks nearly perfect and natural. They really did an excellent job. Can't wait D:

quetz67

Banned
keyrat said:
Sure, you could probably get Nathan Drake in a sequel and not mess it up, but once that third game comes along, it's going to start feeling stale.
How comes I (and some others) cant wait for the 4th Indiana Jones movie?

I dont think the main character is the problem as long as the setting and gameplay is fresh. I would have played half a dozen good Lara Croft games, no problem.

Kittonwy

Banned
keyrat said:

Santa Monica tend not to take as much risk as Naughty Dog with their games and that is true, the fact that they stayed on the PS2 when we're looking at an Uncharted Demo on Thursday is ready proof of that.

It's how you handle the plot and advance the game mechanics though, it can't be same-old, same old regardless of whether you throw a new character in there or if you use one that the player is already familiar with. As long as they make meaningful improvements, having a familiar character to play as would definitely be better than having to adapt to a complete stranger that a developer has to push, "oh come on, you like Drake but this guy is cool to, please like him", kind of like what happened to Raiden in MGS.

Going from Jak and Daxter to Jak 2, and even to Jak 3, you're getting significant additions to the gameplay mechanics, whether you like the plot or not they don't really shy away from giving you a full story, this is fucking Naughty Dog.

Kittonwy

Banned
kaching said:
He's not exactly an ordinary, everyday guy now. He's a treasure hunter, has already had run-ins with pirates prior to the events of this game, etc. What makes him "everyday" is that he doesn't have any fancy uber skills - he's not a superspy or or master ninja warrior or some such - but he can get the job done. No real need to evolve his skills anymore than was done with Indiana Jones, just keep putting him in a different adventure that challenge's his resourcefulness.

I agree. New gameplay scenarios ftw.

keyrat

Kittonwy said:
Santa Monica tend not to take as much risk as Naughty Dog with their games and that is true, the fact that they stayed on the PS2 when we're looking at an Uncharted Demo on Thursday is ready proof of that.

It's how you handle the plot and advance the game mechanics though, it can't be same-old, same old regardless of whether you throw a new character in there or if you use one that the player is already familiar with. As long as they make meaningful improvements, having a familiar character to play as would definitely be better than having to adapt to a complete stranger that a developer has to push, "oh come on, you like Drake but this guy is cool to, please like him", kind of like what happened to Raiden in MGS.

Going from Jak and Daxter to Jak 2, and even to Jak 3, you're getting significant additions to the gameplay mechanics, whether you like the plot or not they don't really shy away from giving you a full story, this is fucking Naughty Dog.

Raiden is definitely a good example of how this could backfire, but I still think making Uncharted a brand of adventure games rather than making Nathan Drake the brand is the best direction for the series. I understand how others could feel differently, though.

Kittonwy said:
JFC what's with the comments section under that video? Some of the comments are just dumb, so much hate for no reason, damn virals.

You weren't kidding! I think just reading them decreased my intelligence. I'm still unsure how someone can have such an adverse reaction to the game. People saying it's not their cup of tea I can fully understand but that shit is just insane. Unfortunately the fans were little better.

I keep thinking about the 'I can only buy one game in November'. Someone (whose choice was Mass Effect, just saying) actually thought Uncharted was lol-worthy!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
keyrat said:
A good example is God of War.
Not really. The continuation of GoW is tied into an overarching storyline which brings extra baggage much more than just recycling key characters does. Uncharted could be set up more like a set of serials - stories which aren't necessarily tied together in any significant way, other than familiar characters.

Pachimari

All of a sudden I'm in a mood to make an Uncharted website hmm..

Anyway, it could be a pretty great idea making a whole new leading role for the sequel.
I mean, I LOVE Nate as a character, and he's just perfect in the beta but it would be cool, somehow playing someone who has maybe been closely related to Drake, and those more information could be given about him throughout the game. Then finally we discover Drake, and we'll control him for the last chapter of Uncharted 2, nothing action packed, but maybe dressed differently in a whole other location or something. A great base, which could develope into a great idea, no?

Top Bottom