• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

RBH

Is there any way to download the Uncharted videos from Eurogamer?

None of the videos on that site work for me, regardless of which browser I use. :(

Dante

Those videos put every other next gen game to shame. Drake's facial expressions react to what is happening to him, and he does not look like some stoic android with no emotions.

And I love how Drake is kinda being a dick to Elena in those videos, should be fun watching their relationship progress throughout the game.

oo Kosma oo said:
Go watch an Indiana Jones movie.

I love all the Indiana Jones movies. However, this still strikes me more as a next-gen, Tomb Raider than anything else; the good ones, mind you, but TR just the same. I'd like to be wrong, though. We'll see on Thursday.

LJ11

Vyse The Legend said:
I love all the Indiana Jones movies. However, this still strikes me more as a next-gen, Tomb Raider than anything else; the good ones, mind you, but TR just the same. I'd like to be wrong, though. We'll see on Thursday.

Are you getting a chance to play the game early?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Vyse The Legend said:
This game reminds me more of SOTC because of the animation and game mechanics than it does Tomb Raider. Ther is no big breast, flipping, cart wheeling in this game which is the formula to all TR games.

Its like SOTC mixed with Gears mixed with Heavenly Sword, mixed with Awesomesauce with some Naughty Dog magic thrown in.

Dante

PistolGrip said:
This game reminds me more of SOTC because of the animation and game mechanics than it does Tomb Raider. Ther is no big breast, flipping, cart wheeling in this game which is the formula to all TR games.

Its like SOTC mixed with Gears mixed with Heavenly Sword, mixed with Awesomesauce with some Naughty Dog magic thrown in.

But it has tombs man. Can't you see the connection?

Holy Shit:
They left Elena on the dock :lol

LJ11

PistolGrip said:

I think you're crazy.

Loudninja

Can we please just stop with the Tomb Raider BS.

Environments in Uncharted:
catacombs
monasteries
churches*huge selling point*
libraries

and thats not all

The gameplay is nothing like Tomb Raider at all.

Loudninja said:

catacombs
monasteries
libraries

and thats not all

I just hope the Church of England don't get angry again.

:lol

traveler

Not Wario
Dante said:
Those videos put every other next gen game to shame. Drake's facial expressions react to what is happening to him, and he does not look like some stoic android with no emotions.
And I love how Drake is kinda being a dick to Elena in those videos, should be fun watching their relationship progress throughout the game.

800px-Alyxvanceface.jpg

Loudninja said:
catacombs
monasteries
libraries

I'm pretty sure all those environments were in TR 1-3. I think the connection is very valid, but it's not a sleight against Uncharted, at all. So, you can relax now. It's just the vibe I'm getting from this.

LJ11

Loudninja said:

Personally, I hope it's as good as TR: Anniversary. That game is really good, overlooked by many because of TR fatigue. All I want is another adventure like TR:A, and I hope Uncharted delivers that kind of experience. The comparisons to TR aren't a bad thing, at least for me anyway.

patsu

Loudninja said:

catacombs
monasteries
libraries

and thats not all

The game has a church ? The Vatican will tell them all the treasure has been moved to the Swiss bank. There is nothing in the basement, or the basement below the basement. For Uncharted 2, go treasure hunting in the Swiss banks instead. It's should be more looty.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Dante said:
Holy Shit:
They left Elena on the dock :lol
That was awesome:D

I can't download that 10 minute video with Orbit for some reason, the file always ends up corrupted. It works fine if I watch it on the site though.

Kittonwy

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:

LMAO TR SUX LMAO.

No seriously this is more like Indy, if you watch Raiders of the Lost Ark it would remind you alot of Uncharted Drake's Schicksal.

Indifferent2.gif

LJ11 said:
Personally, I hope it's as good as TR: Anniversary. That game is really good, overlooked by many because of TR fatigue. All I want is another adventure like TR:A, and I hope Uncharted delivers that kind of experience. The comparisons to TR aren't a bad thing, at least for me anyway.

I really liked what CD did with Legend (haven't gotten around to Anni yet). But as far as UC-TR comparison goes I dunno. Never mind the fact that the combat is miles away from each other, it's not like TR is the only game to incorporate platforming and puzzles in a 3D environment either. Was PoP a "TR clone" too? The comparison seems to have more to do with their casually similar themes than the actual design and mechanics involved.

Kittonwy

Banned
PistolGrip said:
This game was voted most anticipated PS3 game at E3 here on GAF. It came right after Mario Galaxy! Also voted most anticipated PS3 game this holiday season on the PSBlog.

Why people think there is no hype for it? Even on the list of what games are you getting this Nov just about everyone had Uncharted on their list.

I mean the media, they're still covering shit like Kane and Lynch, Time Shift and Blacksite 51 on their PS3 page, I mean, GET THAT SHIT OUTTA THERE and clear some space for DRAKE'S SCHICKSAL!!! The only PS3 games that should be promoted this holiday season from now until the end of the year should be Drake's Schicksal and Ratchet and Clank FTOD, and MAYBE Eye of Judgement, MAYBE COD4, fuck the rest rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

VonGak!

Banned
traveler said:
Why did you have to do that? :S

It's pretty obvious that not alone does Nathan's character model have more than twice the amount of polygons but also the shaders are more complex not forgetting the obvious that Nathan has a lot more "bones" for facial animations.

There's absolutely no need to ridicule HalfLife 2, the game got a couple of years on its back.

VonGak! said:
It's pretty obvious that not alone does Nathan's character model have more than twice the amount of polygons but also the shaders are more complex not forgetting the obvious that Nathan has a lot more "bones" for facial animations.

On an technical level yes, but I've yet to have played alongside a NPC that is so endearing as Alyx.

VonGak!

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
On an technical level yes, but I've yet to have played alongside a NPC that is so endearing as Alyx.

No arguing there ^.^ Was just referring to the context it was posted.

Which reminds me, Kojima said that he had looked for inspiration in HalfLife 2 for how to merge game-play and story telling.

jmd494

Opus Angelorum said:

1. Agro (horse from SotC)
2. The girl from ICO
3. Alyx from HL2

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TR + Engaging Combat is like the biggest compliment you can give a game.

And we've already "had" next-gen tomb raider. And it's not much like Uncharted!

deepbrown

FoxhoundNL said:
Any word on how long the demo will be? I can't freakin wait :D.

ABout 20 minutes. With three difficulty levels, so you can play it through again at a harder level to see how much harder it is :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Vyse The Legend said:
OK, what do you think is the main difference between Tomb Raider games and Indiana Jones movies? On the onset, they are obviously very simillar as they are adventures centered around some kind of mythical lost treasure

The main difference I think it's rich character interaction between a bit clumsy everyman main hero and his sidekicks in Indy movies. Instead of that, in TR games we have mostly claustrophobic atmosphere with you being alone there, and a main protagonist that is a confident, infallible athletic super-woman. Also in TR there are no hand to hand combat situations, which Indy is known for.

Now, I don't know how much you've seen of Uncharted, but that game has all those qualities that make Indy movies what they are, and which TR is lacking (I'm not saying TR is automatically worse for that - just that it's what makes it different from Indy! I like TR games a lot btw.)

The main difference that I can see between Uncharted and Indy is that Unchrted is set in modern times - but they actually go into some lengths to give the game that nostalgic feel because the technology drake and pirates are using never seems quite cutting edge (older-looking airplane, old looking trucks and jeeps, etc)

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
OK, what do you think is the main difference between Tomb Raider games and Indiana Jones movies? On the onset, they are obviously very simillar as they are adventures centered around some kind of mythical lost treasure

The main difference I think it's rich character interaction between a bit clumsy everyman main hero and his sidekicks in Indy movies. Instead of that, in TR games we have mostly claustrophobic atmosphere with you being alone there, and a main protagonist that is a confident, infallible athletic super-woman. Also in TR there are no hand to hand combat situations, which Indy is known for.

Now, I don't know how much you've seen of Uncharted, but that game has all those qualities that make Indy movies what they are, and which TR is lacking (I'm not saying TR is automatically worse for that - just that it's what makes it different from Indy!)

The main difference that I can see between Uncharted and Indy is that Unchrted is set in modern times - but they actually go into some lengths to give the game that nostalgic feel because the technology drake and pirates are using never seems quite cutting edge (older-looking airplane, old looking trucks and jeeps, etc)

Yuh you're not alone in Uncharted (Elena etc)...which I think marks Uncharted quite sharply against TR. Plus the combat is good...and at times ND have called the game a "shooter"...and TR was definately not a shooter...her guns were only there to make her look cool, and kill some bats and bears.

deepbrown

Opus Angelorum said:
I can't comment on SOTC, but certainly Yorda in Ico made me care the most for a NPC.

Trust me...if you played SOTC you'd care for Argo...you'd form a very strong bond, when he's scared of the giants, or runs to try and save you... Honestly you'll shed a tear and feel anger in SOTC all because of a little horse.

deepbrown said:
Trust me...if you played SOTC you'd care for Argo...you'd form a very strong bond, when he's scared of the giants, or runs to try and save you... Honestly you'll shed a tear and feel anger in SOTC.

I didn't realize he had that level of AI, I assumed he was merely transport?

deepbrown

Opus Angelorum said:

No he's so much more...you even stand on his back as he runs when you try to jump on the collossi.

Kittonwy

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

Not many transport actually comes to you when you call him, and basically you don't even really have to steer him much since Agro can navigate a lot of the paths on his own.

deepbrown said:
No he's so much more...you even stand on his back as he runs when you try to jump on the collossi.

Sounds awesome, at times playing Ico I felt genuine sadness when I thought I couldn't reach Yorda.

I adore games that can provoke emotion.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Horse in SotC was definitely much more than just transport. There's something to be said when it's the only living creature that you can rely on in that whole world, even if it's 'just' a horse.

deepbrown said:
Yuh you're not alone in Uncharted (Elena etc)...which I think marks Uncharted quite sharply against TR
Yep, that's what I was trying to say. Elena + Sully in Uncharted are not there just for cutscene filler. They seem to be sidekicks in the true sense of the word.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
Horse in SotC was definitely much more than just transport. There's something to be said when it's the only living creature that you can rely on in that whole world, even if it's 'just' a horse.

Yep, that's what I was trying to say. Elena + Sully in Uncharted are not there just for cutscene filler. They seem to be sidekicks in the true sense of the word.

And I'm so hoping for incidental conversation like we saw in POP:SOT...that would make the game for me....that takes it into "classic" territory

VonGak!

Banned
deepbrown said:
Trust me...if you played SOTC you'd care for Argo...you'd form a very strong bond, when he's scared of the giants, or runs to try and save you... Honestly you'll shed a tear and feel anger in SOTC all because of a little horse.

Had to ask someone who played SotC to have it confirmed.

A bit weird that I never got around to buy SotC when I talked the person who I just asked into doing it. ^.^

Kittonwy said:
Not many transport actually comes to you when you call him, and basically you don't even really have to steer him much since Agro can navigate a lot of the paths on his own.

So when you dismount he does not just stand still, he actively follows your movement?

deepbrown

Opus Angelorum said:
Sounds awesome, at times playing Ico I felt genuine sadness when I thought I couldn't reach Yorda.

I adore games that can provoke emotion.

pussy:lol

1: SOTC
2:ICO
3:Heavenly Sword - the moment hen you have to fight your "brothers" and one wrong move will kill them, with the beautiful music and horrible comments from Bohan making you angry...really when the camera sweeps in every time you
paralyse
someone, it was really quite touching and powerful.

Ok now I'm the pussy
:lol

deepbrown

Opus Angelorum said:
So when you dismount he does not just stand still, he actively follows your movement?

Depends...he might run away if he's scared. Or strole off if he's bored. I used to get angry with him when he wouldn't come when I called him! grr. And sometimes he'd run at you all excited and then do a screeching halt right by you to show how fast he can stop :lol

Top Bottom