• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

methane47 said:
wow I just realized that the Uncharted Demo impressions thread is longer than the official thread...

thats sad.

Why? One thread has people discussing the game they're playing and the other is just a general discussion. It'd be bad if it wasn't bigger than the official thread right now because it'd show there wasn't much interest in it.

deepbrown

dante786 said:
Is the tearing everywhere, I did have problems with it when spinning the camera, and it was fairly distracting....but I think I noticed it more in the first area by the waterfall. I didn't really notice during any firefights though, and while it is a nuisance if it is improved at ALL in the final version it will be negligable. I think its already not a major issue, I can see people being slightly annoyed, but certainly nothing to warrant a pass on the game.
Look Dante, I'm not seeing it except when I spin the camera round. It's not there. I'm playing it at 720p...what it was originally made to be played at, maybe people should change it to that. Because I've just been playing HS, and going to Uncharted it's godly. Very smooth, and I'd say "tear free"...or as close as you can get.

VonGak!

Banned
WasabiKing said:
I see this far too often, in every PS3 impression thread, most of you are too quick to dismiss real criticisms in order to hoist the game as some sort of savior, some sort of holy grail. I'm sure those who are actual contributors to the game development don't take any of these criticism to the fervent degree that SOME of you in here have displayed.

It would also be nice if people weren't so quick to attack promising games just because of system preference.

I mean tearing, out of the blue air has become a thing everyone (especially those never before used to be bothered by it) can't tolerate though they overlook the fact that tearing occurs in those games they them self are hyped about and play.

There's tearing in Uncharted, yes. But is it really to the extend where the game is utterly unplayable as these "usual I own/want a PS3 BUT suspects" claim? Not having a PS3 I'd like to see videos taken of the demo showing this constant tearing as I can only find those without. :(

Reminds me of the ol' "4xFSAA is mandatory! Aliasing makes a game unplayable" days in PS3 game related threads which stopped when it became apparent that the NEXT GEN eDRAM (wow PS2 GS) actually gets in the way of free AA if the dev doesn't want the HDR lighting truncated to 10FP (perhaps it's also possible to make a 1080p reference so it isn't one-sided).

What I'm trying to say is that the PS3 defenders would be less rabid had the PS3 attackers been less susceptible to double standards (and vague unsubstanciated claims like ie Uncharted has: low res textures, too many polygon edges, too floaty animations, flat textures, bad lighting, bad shadows... Yes these have all been spewed out in the Uncharted threads, not a stone has stayed unturned no matter how silly it has looked).

VonGak! said:
It would also be nice if people weren't so quick to attack promising games just because of system preference.

I mean tearing, out of the blue air has become a thing everyone (especially those never before used to be bothered by it) can't tolerate though they overlook the fact that tearing occurs in those games they them self are hyped about and play.

There's tearing in Uncharted, yes. But is it really to the extend where the game is utterly unplayable as these "usual I own/want a PS3 BUT suspects" claim? Not having a PS3 I'd like to see videos taken of the demo showing this constant tearing as I can only find those without. :(

Reminds me of the ol' "4xFSAA is mandatory! Aliasing makes a game unplayable" days in PS3 game related threads which stopped when it became apparent that the NEXT GEN eDRAM (wow PS2 GS) actually gets in the way of free AA if the dev doesn't want the HDR lighting truncated to 10FP (perhaps it's also possible to make a 1080p reference so it isn't one-sided).

What I'm trying to say is that the PS3 defenders would be less rabid had the PS3 attackers been less susceptible to double standards (and vague unsubstanciated claims like ie Uncharted has: low res textures, too many polygon edges, too floaty animations, flat textures, bad lighting, bad shadows... Yes these have all been spewed out in the Uncharted threads, not a stone has stayed unturned no matter how silly it has looked).

I think tearing recieved multiplatform ire once Saints Row dropped. I'm pretty ambivalent about framerates and shit, but I hate tearing. It's probably the most intrusive graphical glitch this gen, regardless of system preference.

bluheim

Banned
Loudninja said:
I like how the shadows make the forest feel alive.

What really impressed me in the demo is that the shadows look far less aliased than in the preview videos. They are virtually perfect.

JB1981

bluheim said:
What really impressed me in the demo is that the shadows look far less jaggies than in the preview videos. They are virtually perfect.
Yep, a vast improvement over Heavenly Sword. No stair-stepping anywhere.

Greg

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think tearing recieved multiplatform ire once Saints Row dropped. I'm pretty ambivalent about framerates and shit, but I hate tearing. It's probably the most intrusive graphical glitch this gen, regardless of system preference.
If the game is good enough, you overlook it though.

God of War 2 is still my game of the year, and it had tearing around every corner.

Loudninja

bluheim said:
What really impressed me in the demo is that the shadows look far less jaggies than in the preview videos. They are virtually perfect.

yeah I agree with that, they did a great job with them

VonGak!

Banned
bluheim said:
More and more evidences that 1080i is the problem.

Hmm, ND did say that the 1080i/p support was tagged on due to Internet demand. It is more pixels to process (vertical scaling and then horizontal scaling?) and more RAM space to occupy.

deepbrown

VonGak! said:
Hmm, ND did say that the 1080i/p support was tagged on due to Internet demand. It is more pixels to process (vertical scaling and then horizontal scaling?) and more RAM space to occupy.
It has to be the issue...I'll play it in 1080i if you like just to compare. (so I select 1080i and deselect 720p?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game has AF. To not have any distant texture blurring at all, you'd need something like 16XAF, but the blurring would occur much closer than that if there wasn't any AF.

deepbrown said:
ps. Which outlets have Uncharted listed as the 15th?
Ebgames/Gamestop. Keep in mind, they also had Ratchet on sale early!

VonGak!

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

There's no doubt about tearing being an annoyance, but IMHO it can be acceptable if it's pushed to the top/bottom of the screen and do not stretch over several frames. :)

That's why I'd prefer the tearing comments to be more elaborated and perhaps backed up video examples. And that the same person also complains about it in other games.

deepbrown

Nervous Hamster said:
I am on 720p with disabled 1080i in the PS3 settings and I got absolutely no tearing.
Same here...why you'd want 1080i when your tv supports 720p and most games are made for 720p....I don't know :)

The 1080i for Uncharted was only ever to support those who ONLY have 1080i, and should have to suffer more tearing because of their foolish purchase :p

Raist

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
Quitting crack isn't easy man.

I've already pre-ordered Uncharted and should have it by next firday....how about you?

Same here, preordered from vgp. Next Friday ? We still don't now if 11/15 is a real release date or not. But anyway, I'll probably get it around dec. 1st :lol
:(

Jtrizzy

I've played the demo about 20 times. The tearing definitely exists, but not enough bother me. This is still the most impressive thing I've played this gen.

Kosma

Banned
About the tearing, Dead Rising had horrible tearing in cut scenes and it' still in my Top 3 of this gen.

Raist said:
Same here, preordered from vgp. Next Friday ? We still don't now if 11/15 is a real release date or not. But anyway, I'll probably get it around dec. 1st :lol
:(

Maybe Sarkozy will make your mailman work harder and you will get it at the same time as I do ;)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just returned from Toys R Us and they had all these Uncharted "cases" in the display behind the counter. I asked the guy if Uncharted was for sale and he said it wasn't out yet. I asked what the "cases" were and he said they weren't for sale. I asked them if they were real retail copies and he said it didn't matter because they weren't for sale. After he said this, he stared at me like he wanted to defend his house against attack. Not sure I was putting out that vibe, but it was hilarious and nice to hear that he has been asked about Uncharted by others.

Loudninja

DenogginizerOS said:
I just returned from Toys R Us and they had all these Uncharted "cases" in the display behind the counter. I asked the guy if Uncharted was for sale and he said it wasn't out yet. I asked what the "cases" were and he said they weren't for sale. I asked them if they were real retail copies and he said it didn't matter because they weren't for sale. After he said this, he stared at me like he wanted to defend his house against attack. Not sure I was putting out that vibe, but it was hilarious and nice to hear that he has been asked about Uncharted by others.

:lol

Loudninja

The enemy do not always know where you at, I moved from one side of a wall to another, he still shot at that side he though I was one.

pswii60

This is by far the best looking game I've played this gen, 360 or PS3, without a doubt. So will everyone stop being so fucking picky. It looks amazing.

wotter

Played the demo a few times more, the most played demo on my PS3 so far, after GT:HD. Some pics I took:

muur.jpg

elena.jpg

spring.jpg

wakker.jpg

geraakt.jpg

engel.jpg

G-Bus

Banned
Anastacio said:
Don't worry. I think the extras in Uncharted surpasses anything seen in this generation of videogames so far. I mean, playing with a new difficulty check, mirrored world? check, other skins? check, faster speed? check, slower speed? check and all kinds of things to do beside treasure hunting and earning medals. Don't worry. Though, playing the whole game again could become repetitive for some people because of the shooting.

I'm liking that mirrored world. Will definitely warrant a second play threw for me.

antiloop

WasabiKing said:
The lot of you are so damn defensive over the gun power argument that's it's hilarious. It's as if I've Mike Vicked your puppies. :lol For the record, I've never fired an AK-47, since they're illegal in California, but I do know a cop who was shot by both. I'd ask him the difference, the AK-47 killed him in the line of duty.

I expect this in HARD, not normal level. And here's a revelation, I'm still picking up the game, in fact, the demo sold me on it. Christ, you rabid defenders are on par with Halo manbabies. And someone in here said that Uncharted was taking the genre in a new direction (which I wholeheartedly agree) yet machine guns that require more hits to kill is a "tried and true" practice in gaming. Sorry kids, make up your minds.

And since some of you brought up targeting, I'm sure shooting people in the foot or knee-cap will cause people to flip mid-air and onto their backs. I'm sure hitting people in the legs will always cause enemies to clutch their left side. Shooting guys in the arm doesn't disarm them.

And for shits and giggles, more criticisms:

- Maybe a bug, but I've had an enemy grenade reach the top of the cliffs.
- shooting into water produces the same water splash (at least with the pistol)
- Rolling off a ledge automatically induces Drake grabbing the ledge. It happens right before the end of the demo

I see this far too often, in every PS3 impression thread, most of you are too quick to dismiss real criticisms in order to hoist the game as some sort of savior, some sort of holy grail. I'm sure those who are actual contributors to the game development don't take any of these criticism to the fervent degree that SOME of you in here have displayed.

You know it could be worse. People have started real wars for their beliefs before and they will in the future also. Crazy, but true.

Mesijs

Loudninja said:
Anastacio also siad 9 hours

Yep, to me it also took 9 hours on hard.

Now playing on Crushing, a totally different experience. You're dead with 1/2/3/4 shots and your enemies need more shots to kill. They're EXTREMELY agressive, much more than hard. I use blind-fire a lot more because of approaching enemies. I had to play some fights 20 or 30 times again, because the extreme damage you take and because you're 100% for sure dead if you're outflanked.

I recommend playing the game on hard at first, and then restarting on Crushing. There's really a big difference between those two.

So, the game has enough replay value. You WANT to go back to this, for sure. And you want to unlock some great things.

Loudninja

Mesijs said:

Now playing on Crushing, a totally different experience. You're dead with 1/2/3/4 shots and your enemies need more shots to kill. They're EXTREMELY agressive, much more than hard. I use blind-fire a lot more because of approaching enemies. I had to play some fights 20 or 30 times again, because the extreme damage you take and because you're 100% for sure dead if you're outflanked.

I recommend playing the game on hard at first, and then restarting on Crushing. There's really a big difference between those two.

So, the game has enough replay value. You WANT to go back to this, for sure. And you want to unlock some great things.

So 3 people said 9 hours, good good, thats good goody godds

Core407

Banned
Mesijs said:

Is crushing accessible for the first play through? :D

Core407

Banned
So did you guys find the skull? I'm pretty sure I found it, but I can't reach it.
It's right at the end of the level. There is a log you walk under right before the demo ends and the skull is left to the log.

Mesijs

Core407 said:
Is crushing accessible for the first play through? :D

No it isn't. And that's good because you will become mad if you will play it on this difficulty for the first time. It's better to know the game quite well and then start with it. Otherwise it turns from something difficult but nice into something frustrating.

BUt nevertheless: try crushing after you've completed it. Try how well you can handle Nathan in this hostile environment.

DAMN this game is great. :D

timnich

How does the demo end? The few times I played it, it randomly faded out to a coming soon splash screen while I was walking in the jungle. Is this how it's supposed to end? I was hoping for more cinematics...

Loudninja

timnich said:
How does the demo end? The few times I played it, it randomly faded out to a coming soon splash screen while I was walking in the jungle. Is this how it's supposed to end? I was hoping for more cinematics...

Yeah thats how it ends, did you enjoy it?

Core407

Banned
Mesijs said:
No it isn't. And that's good because you will become mad if you will play it on this difficulty for the first time. It's better to know the game quite well and then start with it. Otherwise it turns from something difficult but nice into something frustrating.

BUt nevertheless: try crushing after you've completed it. Try how well you can handle Nathan in this hostile environment.

I always play the hardest difficulty on my first play through. I find it to be more rewarding and entertaining and not to mention it extends the life of the game.

Basch

Mesijs said:

That sounds so awesome. Of course, I will start on Normal or Hard Mode, but, being a person who loves challenge, Crushing sounds like gaming heaven. Thank god I don't get so mad with games that I actually start chucking controllers (especially $50 ones; talk about a waste of money). :D Crushing is calling my name.

Arsenic

timnich said:
I really didn't want it to end. Definitely picking it up day 1!
Thats exactly how i felt, I didnt want it to end :lol .

I wasnt even so interested in this game until the demo, i was afraid of the gunplay being weak. But damn, now im so addicted to the gameplay alone that I replayed the demo at least 10 different times, trying new shit each time. Day 1 for me.

J-Rzez

People are really trying hard to dismiss this game. You have people saying Gears shooting is so much better, though this game adds more variety to it as well as something called responsive controls. Then people are talking about the guns being weak, guess the AK (we don't know which caliber it is 7.62 or 5.56) should be the golden gun with 1-shot 1-kill? Then there's random tearing that happens SO little and when it does, it's usually in weird situations like jumping in a corner while spinning the camera around. Though people are trying to make these such big issues. :lol

Sorry, but the game based on the rediculously short amount time of play and limited aspects (no puzzles and major platforming) has shown me, and a LOT of people that it's GOTY on ALL MACHINES material.

No one's trying to put this as "the PS3 savior", it's going to be a killer AAA game, and it's doing it on it's own. It's getting really old with people trying their best to tear down these big PS3 games. Go ahead and counter this with stupid remarks, I don't care. I hate to use this line that was used by others before, but it's true in this case; "If this game was on the 360, it would've been raised to the heavens". It's the most impressive looking, sounding, and for ALL it's doing, controlling game of the year.

quetz67

Banned
Sometimes I am glad I suck at games. Needed some 15 hours for HS (though about 5 of that was loading and cutscenes).

So probably Uncharted will give me 15 hours too and that without stupid loading screens.

Top Bottom