• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
it's kind of a shame that threads have recently degenerated into frame by frame analysis of pixel counting and vsync, yeah?

Tieno

Y2Kev said:
it's kind of a shame that threads have recently degenerated into frame by frame analysis of pixel counting and vsync, yeah?
Yeah, I'm not liking it either. It's like turning into console version of the PC-tuning that clutters up PC game threads. High profile multiplatform titles can be a real bitch.

Y2Kev said:
Well it is best looking next gen console game, and by far so, and it's incredibly smooth, running mostly at over 30 fps. So some folks find an ure to look for every single framed dropped, every single screen tear, and every single gllitch.

VonGak! said:
I'd rather have quotes than numbers ^.^

EDIT: removed images

"We even dare to say it looks better then Heavenly Sword"
"Best PS3 exclusive yet!"
"The treasure that so many PS3 owners were looking for"

Kodiak said:
Why does the 9.0 in that pic look so much like 8.0 -_-
Cause it's a crappy photo, but that's a 9.

The lot of you are so damn defensive over the gun power argument that's it's hilarious. It's as if I've Mike Vicked your puppies. :lol For the record, I've never fired an AK-47, since they're illegal in California, but I do know a cop who was shot by both. I'd ask him the difference, the AK-47 killed him in the line of duty.

I expect this in HARD, not normal level. And here's a revelation, I'm still picking up the game, in fact, the demo sold me on it. Christ, you rabid defenders are on par with Halo manbabies. And someone in here said that Uncharted was taking the genre in a new direction (which I wholeheartedly agree) yet machine guns that require more hits to kill is a "tried and true" practice in gaming. Sorry kids, make up your minds.

And since some of you brought up targeting, I'm sure shooting people in the foot or knee-cap will cause people to flip mid-air and onto their backs. I'm sure hitting people in the legs will always cause enemies to clutch their left side. Shooting guys in the arm doesn't disarm them.

And for shits and giggles, more criticisms:

- Maybe a bug, but I've had an enemy grenade reach the top of the cliffs.
- shooting into water produces the same water splash (at least with the pistol)
- Rolling off a ledge automatically induces Drake grabbing the ledge. It happens right before the end of the demo

I see this far too often, in every PS3 impression thread, most of you are too quick to dismiss real criticisms in order to hoist the game as some sort of savior, some sort of holy grail. I'm sure those who are actual contributors to the game development don't take any of these criticism to the fervent degree that SOME of you in here have displayed.

bluheim

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Well it is best looking next gen console game, and by far so, and it's incredibly smooth, running mostly at over 30 fps. So some folks find an ure to look for every single framed dropped, every single screen tear, and every single gllitch.

I'm not talking about one tearing here or there. As I've said, there is nearly constant tearing on the demo I've tried. Every time the camera moves, I can see tearing. This is not nitpicking.

EDIT : Anyway, the game is great, tearing or not.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So, is the 15. November release date confirmed now? EBgames.com has it re-listed to that date, and I know they had it pegged to 19th for sure.

This is important for my upcoming countdown dammit.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Zen said:
Maybe it's just me, but I've always hated the lame "if you hold back enough and wait you'll be back at full health" mechanic in a lot of games. I find it fine for Halo, because you still have some health after that shield that is effected, and it's balanced and done in a way that makes sense within a futuristic setting. You alsoactually have a bar to watch you sheild levels, but give me a health bar and health packs in Uncharted, or anythign besides the supremely annoying screen blur, no normal human being can take numerous bullet wounds and just get better by hiding behind a rock. >:|

I'm also concerned that this system will annoy me with Killzone 2 as well, as I hate the health system in CoD2.

I disagree but i fully understand. I would like to see a different solution for games in the future. Perhaps you have a Health Kit and you need to play a minigame to fix your wounds. Of course that would only work if in a realistic game setting. As far as Uncharted i think the stop and rest technique is perfect as that is what happens in the classic adventure series that it is trying to emulate.

Loudninja

WasabiKing said:
The lot of you are so damn defensive over the gun power argument that's it's hilarious. It's as if I've Mike Vicked your puppies. :lol For the record, I've never fired an AK-47, since they're illegal in California, but I do know a cop who was shot by both. I'd ask him the difference, the AK-47 killed him in the line of duty.

I expect this in HARD, not normal level. And here's a revelation, I'm still picking up the game, in fact, the demo sold me on it. Christ, you rabid defenders are on par with Halo manbabies. And someone in here said that Uncharted was taking the genre in a new direction (which I wholeheartedly agree) yet machine guns that require more hits to kill is a "tried and true" practice in gaming. Sorry kids, make up your minds.

And since some of you brought up targeting, I'm sure shooting people in the foot or knee-cap will cause people to flip mid-air and onto their backs. I'm sure hitting people in the legs will always cause enemies to clutch their left side. Shooting guys in the arm doesn't disarm them.

- Rolling off a ledge automatically induces Drake grabbing the ledge. It happens right before the end of the demo

I see this far too often, in every PS3 impression thread, most of you are too quick to dismiss real criticisms in order to hoist the game as some sort of savior, some sort of holy grail. I'm sure those who are actual contributors to the game development don't take any of these criticism to the fervent degree that SOME of you in here have displayed.

Its nothing wrong with pointed out the faults, I just cannot believe people actually would not buy a game base on some secreen tearing.Oh by the whay, thise points you brought up are nitpicking!

Core407

Banned
WasabiKing said:

What? Those issues you listed are so minuscule. I mean, you're actually bringing up the complaint about the way the water splashes when bullets hit it. Here is another one for you - when you shoot the animals, they just fly away normally. You can't kill them or have any affect on them. I don't really get your last complaint, though. Oh yeah, the barrels have no physics to them and crates don't take damage.

The core game play and platforming elements are awesome and the AI is fantastic too. That is why people are claiming it to be a AAA title.

Bebpo

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
A Portuguese magazine, Maxi Consolas, reviewed the game

Lol, they're not even in the same ballpark. HS runs pretty choppy and has awful animation. Uncharted is smooth and features amazing animation.

Bebpo said:
Lol, they're not even in the same ballpark. HS runs pretty choppy and has awful animation. Uncharted is smooth and features amazing animation.

None of those are actually related to the "looks" of it :p

Loudninja

Metalmurphy said:

Cause it's a crappy photo, but that's a 9.

More quotes please, how long did it take them to beat the game?

Bebpo

Banned
Zen said:
Maybe it's just me, but I've always hated the lame "if you hold back enough and wait you'll be back at full health" mechanic in a lot of games. I find it fine for Halo, because you still have some health after that shield that is effected, and it's balanced and done in a way that makes sense within a futuristic setting. You alsoactually have a bar to watch you sheild levels, but give me a health bar and health packs in Uncharted, or anythign besides the supremely annoying screen blur, no normal human being can take numerous bullet wounds and just get better by hiding behind a rock. >:|

Game by game basis. If you're game in a mainstream experience ride, it works. Mainly because you can never screw yourself and have a checkpoint/quicksave where you don't have enough life to get past the next part.

OTOH if it's an arcade type game like DMC/NG, having rechargable health would ruin it.

Kosma

Banned
dsc01677rd7.jpg

Zomg look at all that tearing in the middle!!!

spwolf

Tieno said:
I'd also wager some people are more perceptive to it than others. Since my time at GAF and reading dark10x posts and the other graphic detectives I've come a bit more perceptive to this sort of stuff, which is sad cause I liked not knowing. But I've still got a long way to go.

apsolutly. i noticed tearing, but not during gunfights and gameplay is pretty slow so it isnt really noticable... thats why nobody cares.

Dave1988

Metalmurphy said:

http://xs221.xs.to/xs221/07450/dsc01673kv22.jpg
http://xs221.xs.to/xs221/07450/dsc01677rd7.jpg

Graphics: 9.5
Gameplay: 9.0
Sound: 9.0
Longevity: 7.5

Overall: 9.0

Only a 9.0? From an obscure Portugese magazine??

Bubububut it was supposed to be Sony's killer-app :(

I keed, I keed ;p

Loudninja said:
More quotes please, how long did it take them to beat the game?

10 to 11 hours on hard mode if your good a it, quite longer if you suck.

I don't have the magazine btw, but I'm trying to get info from someone who does.

VonGak!

Banned
Zen said:

I'm also concerned that this system will annoy me with Killzone 2 as well, as I hate the health system in CoD2.

Heh I got quite the opposite preference.

With Uncharted system the player is in theory forced to avoid getting caught up in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" situations where as the Halo system is quite forgiving in this area when fully "recharged".
Also it removes the game action segment breaking "stop and wait to recharge" which the Halo system introduced (but Halo's system is still better than the, scavenge after each fight before continuing and the constant quick save/load which the old health-pack system forced the player to do... though the shield system to a minor extend actually brings back these issues).

Oh and you'd better drop the realism talk, neither system got anything to do with realism and it just makes you look silly. ^.^

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've only played the demo once (and not even completed it) but I did notice something that intrigued me, but I'm not 100% sure about:

When you start the demo, it seems like the music from the title screen transitions *completely *smoothly into the intro cutscene. And of course, I pressed Start completely randomly, after listening to title music for some time

I was really impressed by this, but I don't know if it was just a fluke or it would always be like that? If it is like that, it's a huge boon for their cutscene system as that would make it more impressive than even games that use fully realtime cutscenes, because none of them that I can remember had this kind of seamless transition/blending.

Kosma

Banned
Haven't played the demo myself, too busy playing COD4 and it helps me not get any spoilers :p I called a mate of mine though and asked him what he thought about it and he said it was very hard. Is he just a wimp or is this game really tough?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bebpo said:
Keyword 'looks'. HS still has better looking skin shaders for example, and probably some other materials shaders too. I also completely disagree about animation in HS, but Uncharted is unquestionably better there.

Metalmurphy said:

Graphics: 9.5
Gameplay: 9.0
Sound: 9.0
Longevity: 7.5

Overall: 9.0

Now I'm normally not one to complain or even care about scores and this may in fact be very trivial, but come on! What do you have to do to get a 10 for graphics?

Greg

The longevity score worries me - with Ratchet, I was confident purchasing because I know how good Insomniac is with multiple play-through/bonus content that's actually important.

ND on the other hand, referring back to all their games last gen, I not once had the need to play through their games more than once. All of the unlockables felt... tacked on.

If the demo is any indication, the game itself it worth playing through multiple times even without incentives, but I just can't decide...

Pachimari

oo Kosma oo said:
Haven't played the demo myself, too busy playing COD4 and it helps me not get any spoilers :p I called a mate of mine though and asked him what he thought about it and he said it was very hard. Is he just a wimp or is this game really tough?
If people think the demo is though.. oh boy they are in for a lesson..

Elios83

oo Kosma oo said:

It's challenging, especially if you're not into the shooting genre, for a casual I guess it's definetly hard.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Greg said:
The longevity score worries me - with Ratchet, I was confident purchasing because I know how good Insomniac is with multiple play-through/bonus content that's actually important.

ND on the other hand, referring back to all their games last gen, I not once had the need to play through their games more than once. All of the unlockables felt... tacked on.

If the demo is any indication, the game itself it worth playing through multiple times even without incentives, but I just can't decide...

Rent it then.

Raist

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:

It's a bit tough yeah. The ennemies are extremely aggressive and mobile. If you're not careful enough, you quickly end up being surrounded.

Now stop playing COD4 and dl this baby NOW.

Bebpo

Banned
freethought said:
Now I'm normally not one to complain or even care about scores and this may in fact be very trivial, but come on! What do you have to do to get a 10 for graphics?

60fps?

Does the game even have AF? When I'm playing the grass texture looks blurry until I go into 1st person aiming and point at it and then it's all sharp and high-res.

Loudninja

Greg said:

Ask people here how long did it take, TTP said 9 hours.

Johnas

Marconelly said:
I've only played the demo once (and not even completed it) but I did notice something that intrigued me, but I'm not 100% sure about:

When you start the demo, it seems like the music from the title screen transitions *completely *smoothly into the intro cutscene. And of course, I pressed Start completely randomly, after listening to title music for some time

I was really impressed by this, but I don't know if it was just a fluke or it would always be like that? If it is like that, it's a huge boon for their cutscene system as that would make it more impressive than even games that use fully realtime cutscenes, because none of them that I can remember had this kind of seamless transition/blending.

Really interesting if true.

Is there a way to pull off certain combos and moves or is it all random? I wanna dropkick people in the face some more.

And I have found one actual legitimate thing to complain about. When you get to the clifftop there's this ruined wall you jump over and grab onto. The left part of it lends itself to some leaning over and shooting. But due to the forced camera angle, when you switch to precision aiming the camera is pointed at the ground, making you get shot in the face as you correct it.

Pachimari

Greg said:

Don't worry. I think the extras in Uncharted surpasses anything seen in this generation of videogames so far. I mean, playing with a new difficulty check, mirrored world? check, other skins? check, faster speed? check, slower speed? check and all kinds of things to do beside treasure hunting and earning medals. Don't worry. Though, playing the whole game again could become repetitive for some people because of the shooting.

Raist

Banned
Bebpo said:
When I'm playing the grass texture looks blurry until I go into 1st person aiming and point at it and then it's all sharp and high-res.

Huh. Never had this kind of problem personnally. Except for a few "bad" textures, everything was pretty sharp and clean.

Dave1988

freethought said:

More bald space marines ;)

AAK

freethought said:

I am guessing they complained about consistency. The same reason why SoTC didn't get all out 10's for graphics, and what I'm fearing: Killzone 2.

deepbrown

Bebpo said:

HS and awful animation...does not compute. I'd put nextgen games with best animation in this order. Uncharted, AC, HS. HS is choppy though, what that has to do with animation is beyond me.

ps. Which outlets have Uncharted listed as the 15th?

Awntawn

Oh please, people are blowing this tearing issue way out of proportion. If you didn't know better from reading this thread, you'd think it's the biggest tearing issue ever seen in a game. I've had my share of tearing, I had to turn V-sync on in HL2 before puking, my 360 before they fixed the VGA via dashboard had that annoying tear that trickled slowly down the screen every 2 minutes for every game I played, certain Assassin's Creed pre-gold preview videos with panning vistas from a high viewpoint were tearing so badly that it took me until yesterday to finally land my pre-order. Tearing bugs me, a lot. That being said, what the fuck is this horrendous tearing problem with Uncharted that you're talking about? I've played through the demo 8 times and I seriously have not noticed a damn thing.

Bebpo

Banned
Raist said:
Huh. Never had this kind of problem personnally. Except for a few "bad" textures, everything was pretty sharp and clean.

uncharted003.jpg

Look at how blurry the hill ground texture is.

Now I walk up to it and:
uncharted004.jpg

It's sharp high-res texture and now the ground behind 'this' area is blurry.

Now to me that says the game doesn't have AF.

bluheim

Banned
Awntawn said:
That being said, what the fuck is this horrendous tearing problem with Uncharted that you're talking about? I've played through the demo 8 times and I seriously have not noticed a damn thing.

At which resolution is your PS3 set to ?

Top Bottom