• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

JB1981

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Fixed. :D

Seriously, whatever programming voodoo ND came up with for this game (shadow quality in particular), they need to share with the rest of the class. Screw competitive advantage. Think of the children!
That is true.

The first person they need to share it with is Kojima. The shadows in MGS 4 are looking a bit rough by comparison, eh?

deepbrown

dante786 said:
Some dude lol....who are you deepbrown?

Calm down dear, it's only a commercial.

Thing is dante...you keep saying "it happens in every thread"...well a defense also happens in every thread. It's inevitable, and since we're all so used to insincere people only talking about negatives non-stop, a positive response is both inevitable and needed.

Greg

JB1981 said:
That is true.

The first person they need to share it with is Kojima. MGS 4 is looking a bit rough by comparison, eh?
Fixed - however, I expect minds to be blown by MGS4 in other ways.

dante786

Banned
deepbrown said:
Calm down dear, it's only a commercial.

Thing is dante...you keep saying "it happens in every thread"...well a defense also happens in every thread. It's inevitable, and since we're all so used to insincere people only talking about negatives non-stop, a positive response is both inevitable and needed.

I wasn't being defensive, just joking around. I know its inevitable, I just hate the cycle of stupidity in here, it becomes almost impossible to have a real discussion about the games themselves. I feel like real quality posters have been around less and less since I joined the forum, and everything just turns into veiled console war bullshit.

You're right about more positive conversation being needed in here maybe though....Uncharted impressed me greatly, I was very skeptical of the games quality for some reason and the demo came out and drop kicked me in the face.

deepbrown

dante786 said:
I wasn't being defensive, just joking around. I know its inevitable, I just hate the cycle of stupidity in here, it becomes almost impossible to have a real discussion about the games themselves. I feel like real quality posters have been around less and less since I joined the forum, and everything just turns into veiled console war bullshit.

You're right about more positive conversation being needed in here maybe though....Uncharted impressed me greatly, I was very skeptical of the games quality for some reason and the demo came out and drop kicked me in the face.

I think you've found your answer...maybe you should stop forcing people and let the conversation take it's natural course. After studying philosophy it was also the difference of opinion that had the greatest gains and the strongest conclusions, since we'd argue (debate) and work it out. If we had our lecturer saying "Ok be mature, stop disagreeing and agree to disagree" we wouldn't have got anywhere with the big questions. And i think maybe the same applies here.

Let them work it out. Both have a point. One sees tearing (stop playing in 1080i)...the other doesn't really see tearing (obv playing at 720p) and also is fed up with people talking about such a minimal flaw...and in some ways sees it as trolling.

The best way to make the point is...there is tearing at 1080i (we've now discovered), some people mind this, others don't. The people that mind this are missing out on enjoying some of the best games this gen and the gen before it...Shadow of the Collossus, Heavenly Sword, Mass Effect... etc. The problem lies with them, ever think they'd enjoy games more if they'd get over this if it doesn't impede gameplay (it did in SOTC to some extent)? There's more important things to worry about...

Kittonwy

Banned
Loudninja said:
Hey does gears use grenades?

Yes, but grenades are pretty shit in Gears. I can understand the comparisons and the criticisms of the weapons, but aside from the lancer and the shotgun the weapons in Gears were pretty shit, other than the huge clip count and the high fire rate they weren't that great, the mechanics is more along the line of flank and blind-fire.

JRW

I just finished the demo and thought it was very good, The combat has a Gears of war feel to it but with much quicker response times :D (dont get me wrong im not so sure this one can top GOW overall) But the graphics & animations are top notch ..Ill be buying this one.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Kittonwy said:
Yes, but grenades are pretty shit in Gears. I can understand the comparisons and the criticisms of the weapons, but aside from the lancer and the shotgun the weapons in Gears were pretty shit, other than the huge clip count and the high fire rate they weren't that great.

I like the gore in Gears. I wish Uncharted had it. The skull-popping sniper shots and the dismemberment by grenades and other explosive devices still does not get old to me.

deepbrown

DenogginizerOS said:
I like the gore in Gears. I wish Uncharted had it. The skull-popping sniper shots and the dismemberment by grenades and other explosive devices still does not get old to me.
But then little Timmy can't play.

Wollan

That would set a totally different tone which is a nono.

On kinda a different note, I have no clue how Sony managed to get teen ratings for HS & Uncharted. Major moneyhats.

Kittonwy

Banned
dante786 said:
Jesus Christ you have the biggest persecution complex for the ps3 on this board. God forbid anyone badmouth anything on the system, the game has some technical issues, some people have pointed it out rationally, others have blown the shit out of proportion.

The game plays great, and looks great....I loved the demo, and will be getting the game. To be totally honest though, almost all the mentions of gears i've seen here have been people citing it as inspiration for the cover and shooting mechanics. Most people here seem to agree with your opinion it improves on those mechanics, something I don't agree with at all, I think they both do their thing admirably.

Seriously though, what the fuck do you care so much for, 90 percent of the thread is praise to the high heavens. The other 10 percent is people bitching about technical issues, the same people over and over for the most part.

Its annoying, yes, but it happens with every console, with every fucking title thats big and exclusive, stop acting like its exclusive to ps3 and like it affects you on such a personal level, please.

I hear ya, but I think it does improve upon the cover and shooting mechanics of Gears, Gears' layouts are very much 2D, here you can take advantage, of high ground as well as climb up on a piece of cover to give yourself high ground. Headshots are far more satisfying because they are one-shot kills, where as in Gears it's really more of a damage sponge system where you can take down enemies with blind-fire, while Uncharted is very much pop-in/pop-out/aim and shoot, in Uncharted you really have to learn to steady your aim, in Gears you can cheat by steering your aim a little bit when you're back in cover.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Wollan said:

On kinda a different note, I have no clue how Sony managed to get teen ratings for HS & Uncharted. Major moneyhats.
Face melting Nazis and heart-ripping witch doctors fit nicely in Indiana Jones...:D

Is "shit" Teen acceptable?

deepbrown

Wollan said:

Makes mon think the blood in HS could've been even worse. I likes the blood in uncharted.

Wollan

DenogginizerOS said:
Is "shit" Teen acceptable?
The enemy called me an asshole. :(

There's blood at every bullet impact, Drake break necks and kick balls, in Heavenly sword you have cruel people who are crazy in the head and you even more balls punishment coming from Nariko.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Played the demo, I am really impressed. But you shouldn't play the game on easy or even normal. The game is brilliant on hard, I totally digged the "cat and mouse" shootouts on that diffilculty level. The AI is pretty good and get's the job done. I had a hard time in melee combat and died quite a few times when I tried to take them down like that.

dante786

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I think it does improve upon the cover and shooting mechanics of Gears, Gears' layouts are very much 2D, here you can take advantage, of high ground as well as climb up on a piece of cover to give yourself high ground. Headshots are far more satisfying because they are one-shot kills, where as in Gears it's really more of a damage sponge system where you can take down enemies with blind-fire, while Uncharted is very much pop-in/pop-out/aim and shoot, in Uncharted you really have to learn to steady your aim, in Gears you can cheat by steering your aim a little bit when you're back in cover.

You know that is actually something I couldn't put my finger on that was noticeable and great, I dont think the mechanics of gears are at fault, but the vertical dimension present in Uncharted shootouts is appreciated.

I'm with denogg on the gore issue though, headshots have never been as satisfying as they are in Gears, and it certainly has everything to do with the gory effects. For me anyway.

The AI here is better than I expected too. I never had problems with Gears AI, and I still feel it gets the job done, but its certainly much better in Uncharted.

dfyb

Banned
RamzaIsCool said:
Played the demo, I am really impressed. But you shouldn't play the game on easy or even normal. The game is brilliant on hard, I totally digged the "cat and mouse" shootouts on that diffilculty level. The AI is pretty good and get's the job done. I had a hard time in melee combat and died quite a few times when I tried to take them down like that.
i agree about easy, and i can beat the demo fine on hard, but i'm thinking i'll enjoy normal the best. on hard, you end up picking people off from far away. playing on normal makes getting down and dirty more viable. :D

Loudninja

RamzaIsCool said:

nothing wrong with normal, it feels right :D.

dante786

Banned
Is there more to the melee combat than meets the eye?....I mean, am I missing a layer of depth or timing?

Not that I don't like it, I don't really think it needs to be anymore involved than it is, and I find it to be really fun and satisfying thanks to the animation, just wanted to know if theres a way to be more effective than I currently am.

kay

4948872730150_200.jpg

Wollan

Aside from the huge red sticker, they got the good art unlike Yurop (videogameplus.ca ftw).

Edit: This is a bit different from the US though. No skull and I see a chopper.

Basch

Bebpo said:
I think the idea of graphics just being about who can do the most advanced shaders, per-pixel-lighting, "raw power", etc... is laughable and I used to review games. Graphic scores should be about how things come together on screen for the overall image. Okami on PS2 got a higher score in graphics than most Xbox/GC games. Did it outdo the technical achievements of Xbox games that had been doing things like running in 720p or having bump mapping? Of course not, but the overall image was more impressive.

Bioshock is the recent example of this. It's not the technical aspects that got it high scores in graphics all around, it's the art direction that did it.

My statement wasn't meant to be taken that way. I meant games usually are crafted with art in mind. Your statements are preferences. You cannot clearly state one artistic style is superior to another. However, with technical aspects you can. I'm just stating you can't claim Okami or Super Mario Galaxy is technically superior. Uncharted pushes one-third of the PS3. I haven't heard Super Mario Galaxy pushing that much processing power. So for someone who likes the art direction of Uncharted, it is not hard to believe someone would rate the graphics a 10/10.

Kittonwy

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

Yeah I guess gore does make an impact.

Maybe it's just my experience with Gears when I played it on hardcore, but sniper headshots while satisfying, just don't happen often enough, I really found the other weapons underwhelming (shotgun was cool though) and mostly a flank and blind-fire affair, even in the Uncharted demo I'm using cover and doing headshots left and right, not because it's really easy especially since everytime I come out of cover the aim would be slightly off so I have to actually aim instead of steer the reticle bit by bit, but the enemies keep moving, with the handgun I really have to make every shot count, the overall satisfaction level is just higher because I'm always trying to score headshots and because the headshot is a one-hit-kill. I supposed Naughty Dog could have put more gore in there but they wanted their teen rating, I guess I would settle for a broader appeal for the game.

J-Rzez

dante786 said:
Jesus Christ you have the biggest persecution complex for the ps3 on this board. God forbid anyone badmouth anything on the system, the game has some technical issues, some people have pointed it out rationally, others have blown the shit out of proportion.

edit: *nevermind, I don't honestly care, especially from you*

Erebus

dante786 said:
Is there more to the melee combat than meets the eye?....I mean, am I missing a layer of depth or timing?

Not that I don't like it, I don't really think it needs to be anymore involved than it is, and I find it to be really fun and satisfying thanks to the animation, just wanted to know if theres a way to be more effective than I currently am.

I wondering the same thing... also are there any other combos except for the Square, Triangle, Square? How do you do a backflip kick for example?

Greg

dante786 said:

I'm pretty sure there isn't much to it - however, the context of the situation makes it seem like there is.

I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. I've always kinda been looking forward to it, but after downloading it I gotta say, I'm impressed. I love the combat, good mix of Gears and R6 Vegas....

And the Tomb-raidery stuff is good. Day one buy for me....

J-Rzez

DarkUSS said:
I wondering the same thing... also are there any other combos except for the Square, Triangle, Square? How do you do a backflip kick for example?

It's a bit of randomness, and where you are in relation to the guy.

Kittonwy

Banned
DarkUSS said:

You have to shoot the enemy first before you run up to him to deliver the knockout I think.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
dante786 said:

Yeah, I've pulled off some other combos myself. I've also broken a guy's neck when you get behind them. =D So awesome.

Dante

timnich said:
I really didn't want it to end. Definately picking it up day 1!

I actually tried sneaking past the endpoint by walking slowly in an attempt to trick the demo to keep going......It didn't work :)

Wollan

What button do you press to break neck? Just mount him from the back, reach (your arms) around him and pressing square hard?
balls

Top Bottom