• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Pallaris

I gotta say, TTP's impressions from the final build are dissapointing to me. I was hoping they'd iron out the tearing but it sounds like it's something that's fairly prevalent throughout the game (and I know the jet ski/jeep sections will be awful). So with that in mind it's gone from a day one purchase (yeah I liked the demo) to maybe picking it up on the cheap. I wouldn't mind if it was the odd framerate issue but the demo literally constantly tears whenever there are enemies on screen/grenade goes/looking around, so it's going to give me a headache.

Screen Tearing and framerate issues totally ruin the "big Polished Game" feeling the game should have had.

I absolutely agree. And, it's not minor unfortunately... minor tearing is in Resistance, where you literally have to go look for it (i.e. get up close to a burning barrel and free look). Resistance's framerate is 99% solid when you're playing the game properly, and you simply cannot say the same thing about Uncharted. I appreciate the amazing visuals..really there's some top draw stuff going on, but the lack of v-sync/solid framerate kind of sticks out to the point where I really don't care how many texture layers there are or how smooth the shadows look.. it just ruins what could have been without question the best technical accomplishment of this gen thus far.

I realise the framerate trade offs, and I know that making games isn't exactly a perfect science. But, a big budget game like this on PS3 shouldn't suffer. And when other games get it right it makes it worse.

Bebpo

Banned
dante786 said:
I'm really loving the uncharted demo, and I'm certainly going to be buying the game, but ripping on people for valid complaints is dogshit guys...stop it.

Some people in here claiming the game is ruined or its a huge dissappointment are also clearly full of shit, but the fact is there IS tearing. It exists, deal with it. Its not an issue for a lot of people, and thats awesome, for some, its very distracting and even disorienting.

Evillore had a thread just the other day about how hes had to stop playing GOWII because of screen tearing. I for one am not bothered by it all that much, but it very visibly does exist, and I wish it didn't. I'm not going to say it ruins the experience or I'm not getting the game because of it....but to try to argue that the game is somehow MORE enjoyable because of a technical flaw? That shit is laughable.

I LOVE halo 3, but the jaggies in the game annoy the fuck out of me. Do they make it less awesome? Do I not enjoy the game because of them? NO, of course not, but naturally I would rather they not be there.

Uncharted is still barrells of fun, and the graphics are breathtaking, but the screen tearing is there, and it is annoying to some of us. While the issue certainly isn't gamebreaking, ripping on people who voice it as a rational concern is really uncalled for.

With all that bullshit out of the way, the game itself is fantastic, and its certainly one of the best looking games I've seen, screen tearing aside, probably the most visually impressive console game for me.

Yep.

Forsete

Oh jesus, this is beyond.. anything. If it were 15fps like HS was sometime, I could understand. But 30fps with a little tear here and there? (I've seen it in two places in the demo, the hill right before the big yard and in the area where you first meet the enemies, and its almost always on top of the screen, not in the middle where you notice it the most) Wow.. just.. wow.

Pass on a amazing game because of that? :lol :lol :lol :lol

VonGak!

Banned
Raist said:
Dot50cal posted a video a while ago in the demo thread. It was FULL of tearing. At this point the demo wasn't working on PAL machines and I was like "holy shit, the tearing is terrible :/" Having played the game now, it's nowhere near this level, so I believe it comes from the capture and not the game itself.

Is it a low res video uploaded to Stage6?

Can't see any tearing, there's the TV scan line interfering with the cam corder but that's all.

Perhaps it's on a single frame basis, but I was scared that what people saw was taking place over several frames like in MGS3 (swamp area) and GoW (everything is shiny rooms).

Loudninja

Forsete said:
Oh jesus, this is beyond.. anything. If it were 15fps like HS was sometime, I could understand. But 30fps with a little tear here and there? (I've seen it in two places in the demo, the hill right before the big yard and in the area where you first meet the enemies, and its almost always on top of the screen, not in the middle where you notice it the most) Wow.. just.. wow.

Pass on a amazing game because of that? :lol :lol :lol :lol

yeah,but let them do what they want :lol

Pallaris

Really what the fuck?

Yeah really. I don't know about you but £40 ($80) is a lot of money for game in my view, and IMO it's not worth full price with those technical problems that I know are going to bug the crap out of me.

kammy

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
yea AI is awesome. Its just this game I feel does so many things right its just a bit dissapointing they didnt go the extra mile to fix some of the stuff up. The Ai is aggressive without being Stupid like gears.

I dont mind frame rate drops as much as tearing it just reeks of a rushed product when i see tearing. These issues should not be in any game. Sony Should let ND delay the game for it. Its the difference between a 8.5 game and a 9.5 game. Just show extra came IMO.

Cant remember a singe next gen action game that doesnt have screen tearing. That includes the 360.

VonGak!

Banned
Pallaris said:
I gotta say, TTP's impressions from the final build are dissapointing to me. I was hoping they'd iron out the tearing but it sounds like it's something that's fairly prevalent throughout the game (and I know the jet ski/jeep sections will be awful). So with that in mind it's gone from a day one purchase (yeah I liked the demo) to maybe picking it up on the cheap. I wouldn't mind if it was the odd framerate issue but the demo literally constantly tears whenever there are enemies on screen/grenade goes/looking around, so it's going to give me a headache.

Wait, I thought TTP the clean IQ fascist said the level was quite acceptable to him? ^.^
You can't possibly be even more demanding than he...

Amir0x said:
Kintaro, seems like a good idea to keep my eye on the auctions. Won't have $399.99 to spend by the 15th, but I can definitely get that money up by the end of the month. I need an ebay account, though, I never buy from there 'cause I hate shady people. I think I made one ages ago, but I never used it.

Yes.

Have you considered using craigslist? As long as you deal locally, it's every bit as good as Ebay and without the added cost.

Pallaris

Cant remember a singe next gen action game that doesnt have screen tearing. That includes the 360

R&C:Future? It's 60fps with some dips, but those are so few and far between that you could never say it has framerate issues, and that's a game that went from a screen-tearing mess to one of the most polished of this gen. Awesome stuff.

Forsete

Speaking of the demo again,
how many of those skulls and werid wooden crosses with flags have you found?
I've found two so far, not counting the
skulls
you see at the very end of the demo.

Forsete

Loudninja said:
You might wnat to spolier that for some people, but yeah I only found those as well

Ok updated. I didnt think it would be so bad since they dont really tell you anything.

Me_Marcadet you got some skills. Not bad. :)
Hehe, Im not very good at hand-to-hand combat in the game. I havent got the hang of it just yet. Button mashing is fail, I think thats my problem. :(

Raist

Banned
Forsete said:
Speaking of the demo again,
how many of those skulls and werid wooden crosses with flags have you found?
I've found two so far, not counting the
skulls
you see at the very end of the demo.

Only found one of those :eek:

haha, Ive had no problems with this games performance...there is tearing when you stop and spin the camera but who cares....the blur is fantastic.

I wonder if the same people bitching had a problem with gears jaggies...it didnt ruin a fantastic looking game to me, but they were quite noticible...not as much as in H3 though

VonGak!

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
haha, Ive had no problems with this games performance...there is tearing when you stop and spin the camera but who cares....the blur is fantastic.

I wonder if the same people bitching had a problem with gears jaggies...it didnt ruin a fantastic looking game to me, but they were quite noticible...not as much as in H3 though

Jaggies stopped being an issue to many when it because clear that free AA was PR smoke, now it's actually quite acceptable if not mandatory.

dante786

Banned
nelsonroyale said:

Is the tearing everywhere, I did have problems with it when spinning the camera, and it was fairly distracting....but I think I noticed it more in the first area by the waterfall. I didn't really notice during any firefights though, and while it is a nuisance if it is improved at ALL in the final version it will be negligable. I think its already not a major issue, I can see people being slightly annoyed, but certainly nothing to warrant a pass on the game.

dante786 said:
Is the tearing everywhere, I did have problems with it when spinning the camera, and it was fairly distracting....but I think I noticed it more in the first area by the waterfall. I didn't really notice during any firefights though, and while it is a nuisance if it is improved at ALL in the final version it will be negligable. I think its already not a major issue, I can see people being slightly annoyed, but certainly nothing to warrant a pass on the game.

I dont know, I only though it was very noticible when spinning the camer, but in motion the game is clean and runs very well

bluheim

Banned
My impressions on the (french) demo :

- The game is gorgeous, hands down the best thing I've seen on a console. No aliasing at all.
- Gunfights are great. They were my main concern.
- Awful tearing. I'd rather have a game locked at 25fps than a game locked at 30 with so much tearing.
- Very good french localization.

Day one purchase, even if the tearing is really bothering me. Whatever, Naughty Dog now have an impressive PS3 engine, and their next games will look incredible.

justjohn

i see you fuckers are ruining this thread just like you did to the cod 4 with your tearing bullshit that only 0.1 % of gamers actually give a fuck about. sigh

Bebpo

Banned
bluheim said:
My impressions on the (french) demo :

- The game is gorgeous, hands down the best thing I've seen on a console. No aliasing at all.
- Gunfights are great. They were my main concern.
- Awful tearing. I'd rather have a game locked at 25fps than a game locked at 30 with so much tearing.
- Very good french localization.

Day one purchase, even if the tearing is really bothering me. Whatever, Naughty Dog now have an impressive PS3 engine, and their next games will look incredible.

What resolution are you guys with tearing playing at? I'm playing at 1080i and I only got tearing at one spot at the top of the waterfall and slowdown at one spot before you jump down to the ledges. Otherwise nothing.

Me_Marcadet said:
here a video I made on hard :eek:
I tried to show how great the gameplay is and how fluid could be the gunfight.

It's a shame I died on the last pirate because I was in a hurry to end the video.

http://www.dailymotion.com/Me_Marcadet/video/5804958

hope you enjoy it :)

Great video. Shows why I love the combat. Physical combos + fast paced with lots of moving and all with great animation = win. Definitely my favorite PS3 demo so far.

bluheim

Banned
Bebpo said:
What resolution are you guys with tearing playing at? I'm playing at 1080i and I only got tearing at one spot at the top of the waterfall and slowdown at one spot before you jump down to the ledges. Otherwise nothing.

My PS3 is set at 1080i but I think the game is running at 720p.

Dave1988

Bebpo said:

Good question. I've played it both on an SD and HDTV and didn't notice any tearing nor frame drops.

dante786

Banned
The animations in this shit are so goddamn fun. My brother isn't really into this type of game, but he had a great time with the demo, he spent alot of time just walking around, tiptoeing to the edge of a cliff and watching nathan balance on one foot.

The facial animations are also stellar. Panning the camera around and watching how realistically his face moves is really impressive.

Bebpo

Banned
justjohn said:
i see you fuckers are ruining this thread just like you did to the cod 4 with your tearing bullshit that only 0.1 % of gamers actually give a fuck about. sigh

If only .1% of gamers "give a fuck about" tearing, the game industry is doomed.

Tieno

Loudninja said:
Its wierd, some people are getting it, some are not,
I'd also wager some people are more perceptive to it than others. Since my time at GAF and reading dark10x posts and the other graphic detectives I've come a bit more perceptive to this sort of stuff, which is sad cause I liked not knowing. But I've still got a long way to go.

Loudninja

dante786 said:
The animations in this shit are so goddamn fun. My brother isn't really into this type of game, but he had a great time with the demo, he spent alot of time just walking around, tiptoeing to the edge of a cliff and watching nathan balance on one foot.

The facial animations are also stellar. Panning the camera around and watching how realistically his face moves is really impressive.

Yeha, they are great :D

Wow, you guys know that Uncharted is actually running ABOVE 30 fps? That can cause tearing, and some slowdowns would be expected to be there, but I doubt the ame ever goes under 30 (never noticed it, it's always fluid, even during slowdows).

There are some MAJOR releases with far worse cases of tearing and slowdown, yet teir topics aren't filled with posts like "I'm not buying the game cause....".

Core407

Banned
Bebpo said:

It's clearly an issue on all systems so it is probably a side effect of next gen systems. Last generation we had jaggies, now we have something else.

dante786

Banned
Bebpo said:

Lol, the funny part is the vast majority have been posts of people defending uncharted from just a couple of people who have complained about the technical issues.

If people would just accept the fact that some folks out there really are bothered by these issues, and some people are just trolls, then this thread would be fine, and everyone in it could talk about how the game actually seems to be really good.

But you know, whatever, FUCK YOU IF YOU DISLIKE SCREEN TEARING.....or...something.

EDIT: the last couple of posts illustrate how sad this has gotten. Look people, we have a demo, everyone can draw their own conclusions. We know the game looks amazing, we know its lots o fun, fuck the rest of this shit lets just actually discuss the game.

Zen

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but I've always hated the lame "if you hold back enough and wait you'll be back at full health" mechanic in a lot of games. I find it fine for Halo, because you still have some health after that shield that is effected, and it's balanced and done in a way that makes sense within a futuristic setting. You alsoactually have a bar to watch you sheild levels, but give me a health bar and health packs in Uncharted, or anythign besides the supremely annoying screen blur, no normal human being can take numerous bullet wounds and just get better by hiding behind a rock. >:|

I'm also concerned that this system will annoy me with Killzone 2 as well, as I hate the health system in CoD2.

Holtz

Playing at 720P, noticed tearing once by rotating the camera fast. Never again. God knows it didn't bother me one bit, the demo is insanely awesome.

bluheim

Banned
Holtz said:
Playing at 720P, noticed tearing once by rotating the camera fast. Never again. God knows it didn't bother me one bit, the demo is insanely awesome.

Hmmm, I'll try to set my PS3 to 720p tonight, to see if the tearing disappear.

Dez

bluheim said:
Hmmm, I'll try to set my PS3 to 720p tonight, to see if the tearing disappear.

Yes, the game does have more tearing while running at 1080i/1080p. The tearing is still present in 720p though. Also, the game will run at 720p unless 720p is unchecked, regardless if 1080i/1080p are checked.

bluheim

Banned
Dez said:
Yes, the game does have more tearing while running at 1080i/1080p. The tearing is still present in 720p though. Also, the game will run at 720p unless 720p is unchecked, regardless if 1080i/1080p are checked.

A bit of tearing here and there doesn't bother me much. Thanks for the advice.

A Portuguese magazine, Maxi Consolas, reviewed the game

dsc01673kv22.jpg

dsc01677rd7.jpg

"We even dare to say it looks better then Heavenly Sword"
"Best PS3 exclusive yet!"
"The treasure that so many PS3 owners were looking for"

Graphics: 9.5
Gameplay: 9.0
Sound: 9.0
Longevity: 7.5

Overall: 9.0

Top Bottom