• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Mesijs said:
Yep, to me it also took 9 hours on hard.

Now playing on Crushing, a totally different experience. You're dead with 1/2/3/4 shots and your enemies need more shots to kill. They're EXTREMELY agressive, much more than hard. I use blind-fire a lot more because of approaching enemies. I had to play some fights 20 or 30 times again, because the extreme damage you take and because you're 100% for sure dead if you're outflanked.

I recommend playing the game on hard at first, and then restarting on Crushing. There's really a big difference between those two.

So, the game has enough replay value. You WANT to go back to this, for sure. And you want to unlock some great things.
So basically it's about as long as Halo 3, with a similar replay system of playing at an extreme difficulty. Sounds great. 9 hours is more than good enough, especially if the core gameplay is as great as it sounds.

No reviews yet?

Roat

Banned
J-Rzez said:
People are really trying hard to dismiss this game. You have people saying Gears shooting is so much better, though this game adds more variety to it as well as something called responsive controls. Then people are talking about the guns being weak, guess the AK (we don't know which caliber it is 7.62 or 5.56) should be the golden gun with 1-shot 1-kill? Then there's random tearing that happens SO little and when it does, it's usually in weird situations like jumping in a corner while spinning the camera around. Though people are trying to make these such big issues. :lol

Trying to dismiss the game? The thread title reads 'Demo Impressions', which is what most people are giving.

On the points you mentioned, I think Gears does the gunplay better, but that's to be expected since it's a straight shooter without the platforming elements. Uncharted adds more variety and open areas, but the basics are the same.

As for the 'weak guns' that's simply something that's in the majority of games with shooting in it. If you shoot someone's artery in the leg they're not going to shake it off and start shooting you again. Although going for true realism like it has been done few times before would be nice, there are some good reasons why they don't including game length/difficulty.

On the screen tearing though, over the last few pages all I've seen is a few people saying that it has screen tearing. Not that they're going to commit suicide over it, or that it makes Uncharted a bad game. It's you guys overreacting because someone mentions a bad point against a game you like, pure and simple.

As for the 360-PS3 fighting and politics, why do you even care? This is a game you obviously enjoy, don't worry about that other garbage.

tribal24

Banned
J-Rzez said:
People are really trying hard to dismiss this game. You have people saying Gears shooting is so much better, though this game adds more variety to it as well as something called responsive controls. Then people are talking about the guns being weak, guess the AK (we don't know which caliber it is 7.62 or 5.56) should be the golden gun with 1-shot 1-kill? Then there's random tearing that happens SO little and when it does, it's usually in weird situations like jumping in a corner while spinning the camera around. Though people are trying to make these such big issues. :lol

Sorry, but the game based on the rediculously short amount time of play and limited aspects (no puzzles and major platforming) has shown me, and a LOT of people that it's GOTY on ALL MACHINES material.

No one's trying to put this as "the PS3 savior", it's going to be a killer AAA game, and it's doing it on it's own. It's getting really old with people trying their best to tear down these big PS3 games. Go ahead and counter this with stupid remarks, I don't care. I hate to use this line that was used by others before, but it's true in this case; "If this game was on the 360, it would've been raised to the heavens". It's the most impressive looking, sounding, and for ALL it's doing, controlling game of the year.

i was just gonna post just becuase its on ps3 people are trying there hardest to find flaws this post sums it up

Maggot9

Banned
Core407 said:
I always play the hardest difficulty on my first play through. I find it to be more rewarding and entertaining and not to mention it extends the life of the game.

playing a game 3-4 times on multiple difficulties>playing it once on the hardest difficulty.

Zoe

Finally got around to playing the demo. Not really my cup of tea, but it didn't seem bad.

On a random note, for the options, what's the line between a small and a large center speaker?

Bebpo

Banned
Marconelly said:
The game has AF. To not have any distant texture blurring at all, you'd need something like 16XAF, but the blurring would occur much closer than that if there wasn't any AF.

But we're talking about ground that's only 5-10 feet away. Not stuff in the far, far distance.

I've noticed it only affects ground textures though. Walls seem fairly sharp even from a distance. But the ground is always blurry until you get to it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Roat said:
Although going for true realism like it has been done few times before would be nice, there are some good reasons why they don't including game length/difficulty.

Including not being fun what-so-ever.

Basch

Bebpo said:
But we're talking about ground that's only 5-10 feet away. Not stuff in the far, far distance.

I've noticed it only affects ground textures though. Walls seem fairly sharp even from a distance. But the ground is always blurry until you get to it.

Does it matter? Regardless, there will always be problems with video games. What matters is your interests, and, rather, if they coincide with this game. From what I heard, this game strikes a chord among many types of gamers. Be satisfied with what Naughty Dog has done for you. You can be happy they fixed it when Uncharted 2 comes out. :D

Bebpo

Banned
Basch said:
Does it matter? Regardless, there will always be problems with video games. What matters is your interests, and, rather, if they coincide with this game. From what I heard, this game strikes a chord among many types of gamers. Be satisfied with what Naughty Dog has done for you. You can be happy they fixed it when Uncharted 2 comes out. :D

Well all this stemmed from a question of why the game didn't score a 10 in graphics.

Obviously it doesn't matter in the overall game enjoyment. But stuff like that combined with 30fps would keep me from giving it over a 9ish score in visuals.

Bebpo said:

boo hooooo. Then dont buy it.

Bebpo

Banned
DemonSwordsman said:
boo hooooo. Then dont buy it.

You are right. The demo shows the game is a 10/10 in every category. The graphics are so good I feel like I can walk through the screen and really be in the game. The sound makes me run around my house looking for the birds I am hearing and the controls are so good the game plays itself.

It is impossible for there to be any flaw in the game and they should not even bother making a sequel since there is absolutely nothing that can be improved.

Anyone who thinks they've found something that could be improved obviously hates the game and should burn their PS3 and go play Mario Galaxy in their basement with pictures of Iwata on the wall.

BuddyC

I'm surprised at how much the game has improved since I played it in May. They've addressed almost every single fault I had with it, including the floating item markers. Sure it was still a work-in-progress, but it's not often that games are this much improved over past versions.

I've gone from blah to pretty excited, so kudos to Naughty Dog.

Wollan

Naughty Dog is definitly up there with the most hasty/effective developers in the biz.
ND & Insomniac may very well be the two devs at the very top in this regard.

Basch

Bebpo said:
You are right. The demo shows the game is a 10/10 in every category. The graphics are so good I feel like I can walk through the screen and really be in the game. The sound makes me run around my house looking for the birds I am hearing and the controls are so good the game plays itself.

It is impossible for there to be any flaw in the game and they should not even bother making a sequel since there is absolutely nothing that can be improved.

Anyone who thinks they've found something that could be improved obviously hates the game and should burn their PS3 and go play Mario Galaxy in their basement with pictures of Iwata on the wall.

I don't think it is so much about whether it can be improved or not, but, more so, it is about many people wanting to discuss about the good things: what they were following the title for to begin with. The game delivers for them and they are happy for it. They would just like to have a discussion on a game they like.

Awntawn

Bebpo said:

That problem is there are flaws with every game, and some get 10's anyway. So what's with the double standard? If you can pick these little details to dock points for its visuals, I don't see any game deserving a 10 in the aspect anywhere. So a game needs to make your TV appear to be like a window looking outside your house to get a 10 in visuals? Bullshit.

Bebpo

Banned
Awntawn said:
That problem is there are flaws with every game, and some get 10's anyway. So what's with the double standard? If you can pick these little details to dock points for its visuals, I don't see any game deserving a 10 in the aspect anywhere. So a game needs to make your TV appear to be like a window looking outside your house to get a 10 in visuals? Bullshit.

Yeah, there isn't a game this year I'd say is a 10/10 in visuals. Mario Galaxy would probably be the closest if your scoring within the system constraints. Maybe Bioshock, but probably not.

JB1981

Bebpo said:
Yeah, there isn't a game this year I'd say is a 10/10 in visuals. Mario Galaxy would probably be the closest if your scoring within the system constraints. Maybe Bioshock, but probably not.

Ratchet and Clank is pretty damn-near flawless. COD 4 (360) ain't no slouch either.

Ratchet holds 60fps more consistently, though

bluheim

Banned
Bebpo said:
Yeah, there isn't a game this year I'd say is a 10/10 in visuals. Mario Galaxy would probably be the closest if your scoring within the system constraints.

Obviously, scoring within the system constraint is not a good idea. Scoring needs to be based on system price, instead.

deepbrown

deepbrown said:
Same here...why you'd want 1080i when your tv supports 720p and most games are made for 720p....I don't know :)

The 1080i for Uncharted was only ever to support those who ONLY have 1080i, and should have to suffer more tearing because of their foolish purchase :p

Hello all...I just played the demo through at 1080i and I can confirm that there is noticable tearing at 1080i. I know what tearing looks like and I can see it here (very minimal I may say, only a couple frames...but it did stretch a bit below the top of the screen...say a third down.) This didn't happen often, and wasn't too distracting, but it was noticeable. Proving to you all that I do know what tearing looks like, playing at 720p it's not there...except when I spin the camera fast...which is then covered up by motion blur.

So they did what they set out to do. Conclusion: If your HDTV supports 720p play it at 720p. ND only put in 1080i for those that can't support 720p.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Bebpo said:

Mass Effect is sounding like it will be a visual feast, but I think Uncharted is the leader this year thus far for me.

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
Mass Effect is sounding like it will be a visual feast, but I think Uncharted is the leader this year thus far for me.
It does look amazing. I fear it will have far more technical issues than Uncharted will, though. :(

Bebpo

Banned
Mass Effect? Considering how previous Bioware games were some of the worst looking/running games on Xbox I do not have any faith ME will keep a locked 30fps throughout and look great.

Maggot9 said:
So now people are putting Uncharted above Ratchet in terms of visuals?

Depends. It looks A LOT better, but Ratchet has 60fps and bigger environments.

DenogginizerOS

Maggot9 said:
So now people are putting Uncharted above Ratchet in terms of visuals?
Having beaten Ratchet, I would personally put what I have seen of Uncharted above it. It is not that Ratchet is by any means a graphically inferior game, but Uncharted has a realistic backdrop of an island and its rich vegetation and water supplies that is a lot harder to pull off visually than the more cartoony style of Ratchet. They are really two totally different games and I think Ratchet does what it does exceptionally well. I am just more impressed with Uncharted.

Roat said:
On the points you mentioned, I think Gears does the gunplay better, but that's to be expected since it's a straight shooter without the platforming elements.

I disagree, the platforming elements in uncharted make the gunplay better than Gears (IMO of course). It adds so much variety, strategy and fluidity that it makes gears simplistic and boring.

People are wrong when they think uncharted is like two games. Uncharted is a shooting game and what makes it so awesome and unique is the way the player controls drake.

It's not just taking cover and shooting like gears. In uncharted, you run, you jump, you climb, you taking cover and you shoot. Each time I do the demo, I experience different things.

Basch

Bebpo said:

I'm sorry, but even if Mario Galaxy is rated by terms of system constraints it has not even used as much raw power as Uncharted. If we are talking about technical achievement, Uncharted would win hands down. Reviews in this aspect are suppossed to address technical achievement. Let me know when you find something that does this better. So far, the closest I've seen is Killzone 2.

Awntawn

Bebpo said:
If we're going within system constraints, Crisis Core gets a 15/10 3;

Bebpo

Banned
Basch said:
I'm sorry, but even if Mario Galaxy is rated by terms of system constraints it has not even used as much raw power as Uncharted. If we are talking about technical achievement, Uncharted would win hands down. Reviews in this aspect are suppossed to address technical achievement. Let me know when you find something that does this better. So far, the closest I've seen is Killzone 2.

I think the idea of graphics just being about who can do the most advanced shaders, per-pixel-lighting, "raw power", etc... is laughable and I used to review games. Graphic scores should be about how things come together on screen for the overall image. Okami on PS2 got a higher score in graphics than most Xbox/GC games. Did it outdo the technical achievements of Xbox games that had been doing things like running in 720p or having bump mapping? Of course not, but the overall image was more impressive.

Bioshock is the recent example of this. It's not the technical aspects that got it high scores in graphics all around, it's the art direction that did it.

deepbrown

Basch said:
Calm down lol

deepbrown

Bebpo said:
I think the idea of graphics just being about who can do the most advanced shaders, per-pixel-lighting, "raw power", etc... is laughable and I used to review games. Graphic scores should be about how things come together on screen for the overall image. Okami on PS2 got a higher score in graphics than most Xbox/GC games. Did it outdo the technical achievements than Xbox games had been doing like the Xbox games running in 720p? Of course not, but the overall image was more impressive.

Bioshock is the recent example of this. It's not the technical aspects that got it high scores in graphics all around, it's the art direction that did it.
It's a combination...and so far it's the art style that is also exciting a lot of us.

WasabiKing said:
The lot of you are so damn defensive over the gun power argument that's it's hilarious. It's as if I've Mike Vicked your puppies. :lol For the record, I've never fired an AK-47, since they're illegal in California, but I do know a cop who was shot by both. I'd ask him the difference, the AK-47 killed him in the line of duty.
Holy shit, he played the dead cop card! He seriously used a real dead cop in a video game fanboy battle.

Serious bidness!

icet_was.jpg

Awntawn

deepbrown said:
Hello all...I just played the demo through at 1080i and I can confirm that there is noticable tearing at 1080i. I know what tearing looks like and I can see it here (very minimal I may, only a couple frames...but it did stretch a bit below the top of the screen...say a third down.) This didn't happen often, and wasn't too distracting, but it was noticeable. Proving to you all that I do know what tearing looks like, playing at 720p it's not there...except when I spin the camera fast...which is then covered up by motion blur.

So they did what they set out to do. Conclusion: If your HDTV supports 720p play it at 720p. ND only put in 1080i for those that can't support 720p.
Well that explains it. And I was wondering what was wrong with my eyes.

DenogginizerOS

I am just really excited to play a game that finally captures the spirit of the Indiana Jones films. I have been waiting for a great adventure game and this fits the need nicely.

dante786

Banned
J-Rzez said:

Sorry, but the game based on the rediculously short amount time of play and limited aspects (no puzzles and major platforming) has shown me, and a LOT of people that it's GOTY on ALL MACHINES material.

No one's trying to put this as "the PS3 savior", it's going to be a killer AAA game, and it's doing it on it's own. It's getting really old with people trying their best to tear down these big PS3 games. Go ahead and counter this with stupid remarks, I don't care. I hate to use this line that was used by others before, but it's true in this case; "If this game was on the 360, it would've been raised to the heavens". It's the most impressive looking, sounding, and for ALL it's doing, controlling game of the year.

Jesus Christ you have the biggest persecution complex for the ps3 on this board. God forbid anyone badmouth anything on the system, the game has some technical issues, some people have pointed it out rationally, others have blown the shit out of proportion.

The game plays great, and looks great....I loved the demo, and will be getting the game. To be totally honest though, almost all the mentions of gears i've seen here have been people citing it as inspiration for the cover and shooting mechanics. Most people here seem to agree with your opinion it improves on those mechanics, something I don't agree with at all, I think they both do their thing admirably.

Seriously though, what the fuck do you care so much for, 90 percent of the thread is praise to the high heavens. The other 10 percent is people bitching about technical issues, the same people over and over for the most part.

Its annoying, yes, but it happens with every console, with every fucking title thats big and exclusive, stop acting like its exclusive to ps3 and like it affects you on such a personal level, please.

deepbrown

dante786 said:
Jesus Christ you have the biggest persecution complex for the ps3 on this board. God forbid anyone badmouth anything on the system, the game has some technical issues, some people have pointed it out rationally, others have blown the shit out of proportion.

The game plays great, and looks great....I loved the demo, and will be getting the game. To be totally honest though, almost all the mentions of gears i've seen here have been people citing it as inspiration for the cover and shooting mechanics. Most people here seem to agree with your opinion it improves on those mechanics, something I don't agree with at all, I think they both do their thing admirably.

Seriously though, what the fuck do you care so much for, 90 percent of the thread is praise to the high heavens. The other 10 percent is people bitching about technical issues, the same people over and over for the most part.

Its annoying, yes, but it happens with every console, with every fucking title thats big and exclusive, stop acting like its exclusive to ps3 and like it affects you on such a personal level, please.

WHO ARE YOU?

JB1981 said:
Yep, a vast improvement over 98% of the "current-gen" software released to this point

Fixed. :D

Seriously, whatever programming voodoo ND came up with for this game (shadow quality in particular), they need to share with the rest of the class. Screw competitive advantage. Think of the children!

Top Bottom