• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Loudninja

Wollan said:
What button do you press to break neck? Just mount him from the back, reach (your arms) around him and pressing square hard?
balls

Sneak up behind them, than you break neck!:D

Especially, one that Drake is wet

Drake with wet action!

I know...I know...I'm so lame

It's just so good though.

Yeah it is that good, man, I fell ya

Dante

Wollan said:
What encounter is the best one to try this out on in the demo? It's mostly just straight up confrontational stuff.

On the gunfight where you have to drop down the cliff to the big wall with three ledges...basically the barrell area. the pirate all the way in the back is easy to sneak up on. Just kill everyone else, and sneak around to Drake's right.

Kittonwy

Banned
Maggot9 said:
So now people are putting Uncharted above Ratchet in terms of visuals?

Uncharted has always been above Ratchet in terms of visuals, no self-shadowing/HDR/dynamic shadowing essentially was something that prevented Ratchet from matching Uncharted feature for feature.

Uncharted: Korean version

ruliweb_un_18_ps3.jpg

ruliweb_un_07_ps3.jpg

ruliweb_un_50_ps3.jpg

Awntawn

DenogginizerOS said:
Face melting Nazis and heart-ripping witch doctors fit nicely in Indiana Jones...:D

Is "shit" Teen acceptable?
For comparison, Live Free and Die Hard was PG-13. I know the standards between MPAA and ESRB are off (you're allowed waist-up nudity even in PG-13), but even ESRB isn't that ridiculous. Let's not forget to leave room for the Everyone rating now 3; It seems that censorship is really getting over our heads.

Loudninja

Gribbix said:
I just noticed that it looks like they removed the red aiming reticule from the final game. In that video, the aiming reticule turns red when it's on an enemy whereas the one in the demo (and presumably the final game) is always white.

Yeah I know,I guess it would have made it too easy

YYZ

Loudninja said:
Yeah I know,I guess it would have made it too easy
Why did Insomniac use that in Resistance? Just curious. I've been playing through and it turns red on a hostile. I don't think it can be turned off, if it can then I'm an idiot.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dizzan said:
I'd like to officially name it the "Drake Break".

How about:

"You know, things break... Drake Edition."

YYZ said:
Why did Insomniac use that in Resistance? Just curious. I've been playing through and it turns red on a hostile. I don't think it can be turned off, if it can then I'm an idiot.

I'm glad it's there in Resistance. Online especially.

dfyb

Banned
dante786 said:
Is it me or do the above shots look awful? The actual game looks waaayyyy better than that.
framebuffer grabs. and for framebuffer grabs, they look great (compare them to the mass effect screenshots people were calling "fake" :lol).

Wollan

The game has a sharpness that's counter productive for screens actually. I didn't expect the quality of visuals seen in the demo.

Awntawn

dfyb said:
framebuffer grabs. and for framebuffer grabs, they look great (compare them to the mass effect screenshots people were calling "fake" :lol).
Yeah what's the deal with framebuffer grabs and why do they always look so bad with every game? The GT-P ones last year were hideous

Core407

Banned
For the people who have played the full version - can you tell me how many weapons there are and what they are? Is there a desert eagle in the game

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It took me a bit longer than anticipated to make this, and it's definitely more ambitious than I originally planned, but it's here:

The Official Interactive Countdown to Uncharted executable and screen saver

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NNT8DJ0U

When you download the archive above, it will have three files, and they all show the same basic thing that looks like this:

6nucspv.jpg

So, in the archive there's an .exe that can be run in a window on a desktop (no installation required), and two installer files for the screensavers - one shows countdown stretched in fullscreen, one shows it unstretched with black borders around. You'll need a very hefty machine to run the fullscreen one, especially if you want the smooth animation during the payoff sequence (when the counter reaches 0). For example, my P4/3GHz is not enough to get smooth animation in fullscreen.

As I mentioned, this countdown is interactive, so you can click / rollover various things, and stuff will happen. Main point of interest is of course the treasure chest in the middle, but you can click on other things as well. The design philosophy of the countdown was similar to that of the game it counts down for (as much as it can be applied to something as simple as this) :)

- There's animation blending and selection from the pool of several random animations for the treasure chest.
- The responsiveness comes first: When you click on the chest it will animate instantly, even if you click very fast.
- There's a "Next Gen Mode", which is enabled by default, but can be disabled by clicking on the countdown numbers. It enables/disables motion blur, complex shadowing etc.
- It's multilingual! Click the logo at the top for that well known 'other' logo
- The payoff sequence will make you smile and say WOW! (well, I hope)
- Best of it's kind? Welp, I can't think of too many game countdowns this ambitious :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It took me a bit longer than anticipated to make this, and it's definitely more ambitious than I originally planned, but it's here:

The Official Interactive Countdown to Uncharted executable and screen saver

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NNT8DJ0U

When you download the archive above, it will have three files, and they all show the same basic thing that looks like this:

6nucspv.jpg

So, in the archive there's an .exe that can be run in a window on a desktop (no instalation required), and two installer files for the screensavers - one shows countdown stretched in fullscreen, one shows it unstretched with black borders around. You'll need a very hefty machine to run the fullscreen one, especially if you want the smooth animation during the payoff sequence (when the counter reaches 0). For example, my P4/3GHz is not enough to get smooth animation in fullscreen.

As I mentioned, this countdown is interactive, so you can click / rollover various things, and stuff will happen. Main point of interest is of course the treasure chest in the middle, but you can click on other things as well. The design philosophy of the countdown was similar to that of the game it counts down for (as much as it can be applied to something as simple as this) :)

- There's animation blending and selection from the pool of several random animations for the treasure chest.
- The responsiveness comes first: When you click on the chest it will animate instantly, even if you click very fast.
- There's a "Next Gen Mode", which is enabled by default, but can be disabled by clicking on the countdown numbers. It enables/disables motion blur, complex shadowing etc.
- It's multilingual! Click the logo at the top for that well known 'other' logo
- The payoff sequence will make you smile and say WOW! (well, I hope)
- Best of it's kind? Welp, I can't think of too many game countdowns this ambitious :p

kay

BuddyC said:
I asked Sony PR and was told that, as far as they know, it's just retailer error.
jstevenson didn't seem to know Ratchet was pushed up at first. I think it would be a smart move to do it; before the weekend and the other games that launch the week after.

Awntawn

Wollan said:
I see nothing wrong with titties to be honest.
When I was 10 or something playing Diablo, my dad walked into the room and all of a sudden I was in the deepest shit I had ever been in.

It was then when I first realized that the Succubi were topless.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
The game has a sharpness that's counter productive for screens actually. I didn't expect the quality of visuals seen in the demo.

Indeed. As a general note, I suggest to set the brightness (in-game) to 1/4 (it's 2/4 by default) for HDMI users. HDMI video signal is brighter than Component so you might end up having a slightly "washed out" image. Basically, the darker you set it while still being able to see details the better. At least on my set up it looks better.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
freethought said:
Now I'm normally not one to complain or even care about scores and this may in fact be very trivial, but come on! What do you have to do to get a 10 for graphics?
Give hats away?

Bebpo

Banned
TTP said:
Indeed. As a general note, I suggest to set the brightness (in-game) to 1/4 (it's 2/4 by default) for HDMI users. HDMI video signal is brighter than Component so you might end up having a slightly "washed out" image. Basically, the darker you set it while still being able to see details the better. At least on my set up it looks better.

Will have to try that. Game definitely looks washed out on mine through HDMI. Doesn't have that color pop these screens have.

jmd494

Some combination of planet earth being on tonight and the beauty of the environments in the uncharted demo makes me wish there was more wildlife in this game.

I'd love if in Uncharted 2 there was about 50% of the game that was combat free...100% exploration/traversal gameplay, and as you wandered around the jungles...you would encounter alligators, baboons, gorillas, leopards, snakes, elephants, boars...etc...etc...etc...

I personally think it would make exploration that much more interesting and would certainly make the already amazing environments feel even more alive.

How are the sixaxis sections of the game? I was watching a video where he was walking across logs and you had to tilt the controller for balance.

Dizzan

MINI Member
mysticstylez said:
How are the sixaxis sections of the game? I was watching a video where he was walking across logs and you had to tilt the controller for balance.

That and throwing grenades are the only uses I know of. They both work fine.

And Justin, good idea mate. Swing from vine to vine over croc infested swamps ala Pitfall, run from animals across platform areas, shoot baboons that jump at your head. Cool.

Surfheart

WasabiKing said:
I see this far too often, in every PS3 impression thread, most of you are too quick to dismiss real criticisms in order to hoist the game as some sort of savior, some sort of holy grail. I'm sure those who are actual contributors to the game development don't take any of these criticism to the fervent degree that SOME of you in here have displayed.

Jesus, it's not just PS3 threads. Seems you can't have a negative opinion about any game anymore.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Drake has been getting crap talked by trolls for a long ass time guys. It's not like people don't want criticism, it's just that people are tired of the canned responses and BS observations that have been plauging Drake threads forever. The game isn't perfect, no game is perfect. Get the fuck over it and enjoy it if you actually enjoy games.

Bebpo

Banned
Surfheart said:
Jesus, it's not just PS3 threads. Seems you can't have a negative opinion about any game anymore.

GAF 2007 and beyond -Group think or die!-

And yes, as someone whose critical of every game on every system I've noticed that everywhere. Not just in PS3 threads. It used to only be in Nintendo threads but the fever has spread to PS3 fans and even X360 ones.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Game seems a little gunplay-heavy for my tastes. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it's an AAA title - it just doesn't seem to be the game I was hoping it would be. I would have liked 70% platforming/adventure 30% shooting (ala Tomb Raider), but Drake's ratio seems to be flipped, based on the demo, and based on trailers.

teiresias

The demo really has me worried. I've played it and practiced and practiced and practiced and I still suck at it. Like some others I wasn't under the impression that the game would be nearly as focussed on the gunplay as the demo and those that have played the final game seem to imply.

I'm afraid this is just a game that will frustrate me now. When I can't get anywhere the camera feels like its flailing about and im dying within two minites of encountering enemies on EASY in the freaking DEMO then i have to reconsider if the game is worth a purchase. Sucks since ive loved everything else Naughty Dog has done but it seems the temptation to make a game only those exceedingly proficient in shooting games and the fps style of play can enjoy was too great this go round.

dante786

Banned
teiresias said:
The demo really has me worried. I've played it and practiced and practiced and practiced and I still suck at it. Like some others I wasn't under the impression that the game would be nearly as focussed on the gunplay as the demo and those that have played the final game seem to imply.

I'm afraid this is just a game that will frustrate me now. When I can't get anywhere the camera feels like its flailing about and im dying within two minites of encountering enemies on EASY in the freaking DEMO then i have to reconsider if the game is worth a purchase. Sucks since ive loved everything else Naughty Dog has done but it seems the temptation to make a game only those exceedingly proficient in shooting games and the fps style of play can enjoy was too great this go round.

I dunno man....I'm pretty sure the actual game will feature a lot more platforming than the demo. Also you don't have to be anything close to exceedingly proficient in shooting games to beat the demo on easy. I would say you don't have to be anything resembling proficient.

Nizz

I played through the demo and from what I played, I liked it. I've always been a fan of adventure type games, for me going back to Tomb Raider. Though lately the FPS genre is the type of game I play the most nowadays. The graphics are pretty sweet, and the story and characters seem to be pretty interesting. The cover system similar to another favorite of mine, Gears, felt pretty good and natural. I did turn the sensitivity up about two notches though. Probably from trying the demo after some COD4. And Nathan Drake already has more personality than some other game characters out there. Damn, to think at one time I was complaining to myself about all these recent game delays. I don't even have enough for the games coming out now...

HyperionX

teiresias said:

That's what I like about this game. It's not too easy. Some of the games out there today are just so goddamn easy it's like watching a movie or something.

gandda

Banned
holy shit, i bought a ps3 for third party exclusives (back when it wasn't just ffxiii and mgs4) and i'm staying for the first party. based on the demo, i think naughty dog has severely raised the bar for every sony-sponsored development team that hasn't released a game yet. sucker punch, i'm looking at you

Top Bottom