• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Bebpo

Banned
The difficulty is just right for an ND game. Did you guys play Crash or Jak? Those games were HARD but that's why they were rewarding and fun.

I'll take a hard game like Uncharted any day of the week over a no challenge easy game like Ratchet.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bebpo said:
GAF 1997 and beyond -Group think or die!-

Fixed that for you. It's nothing new.

Game seems a little gunplay-heavy for my tastes. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it's an AAA title - it just doesn't seem to be the game I was hoping it would be. I would have liked 70% platforming/adventure 30% shooting (ala Tomb Raider), but Drake's ratio seems to be flipped, based on the demo, and based on trailers.

Are you basing this on just the tiny demo here or do you have the final game? I'm curious.

I don't mean this to be negative, but I'm slowly seeing why devs would shy away from even bothering to release demos. Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Back to the demo itself, I'm practicing melee and there's a good number of combos in the demo. There's one with repeated punches to the gut and a big uppercut, headbutt, and I think I saw a kick/dropkick of some sort. Awesome.

teiresias

dante786 said:
I dunno man....I'm pretty sure the actual game will feature a lot more platforming than the demo. Also you don't have to be anything close to exceedingly proficient in shooting games to beat the demo on easy. I would say you don't have to be anything resembling proficient.

Honestly I'm perplexed because I can rock some Resident Evil 4 and Resistance (single player anyway) I really don't know why I'm having so many issues with this game. Its very frustrating. I loved Jak too and while u felt some areas in Jak 2 & 3 were difficult it never felt as frustrating as this demo does to me at the moment.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Kintaro said:
Fixed that for you. It's nothing new.

Are you basing this on just the tiny demo here or do you have the final game? I'm curious.

I don't mean this to be negative, but I'm slowly seeing why devs would shy away from even bothering to release demos. Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Back to the demo itself, I'm practicing melee and there's a good number of combos in the demo. There's one with repeated punches to the gut and a big uppercut, headbutt, and I think I saw a kick/dropkick of some sort. Awesome.

Sneak up behind the enemy and whip out the Drake Break (neck break)

patsu

teiresias said:
Honestly I'm perplexed because I can rock some Resident Evil 4 and Resistance (single player anyway) I really don't know why I'm having so many issues with this game. Its very frustrating. I loved Jak too and while u felt some areas in Jak 2 & 3 were difficult it never felt as frustrating as this demo does to me at the moment.

Is it because you missed one of the vertical flips (camera or gun sight) ?

Kittonwy

Banned
llTll said:
hmm. i died on easy. what gives ?

Why don't you play it on hard?
Indifferent2.gif

llTll

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Why don't you play it on hard?
Indifferent2.gif

seriously what gives, as soon as i went to the area where the enimies come from everywhere. i was dead. i tried to do it gears of war style taking cover and shooting. but there were so many. i kill 1, 2 comes and replace him. i dont like the shooting much in the game. its hard.

Miburou

I have to agree; the shooting in this game is frustrating, even on easy. I have no problems playing Halo 3 or Gears of War on Legendary/Insane, which is why I'm finding this to be weird. Oh well, too many games for me to play anyway.

Loudninja

Miburou said:
I have to agree; the shooting in this game is frustrating, even on easy. I have no problems playing Halo 3 or Gears of War on Legendary/Insane, which is why I'm finding this to be weird. Oh well, too many games for me to play anyway.

Whats wrong? you cannot kill them or what? Naughty Dog si knwo for their hard games, you just have to take your time, kill one at a time.

KTallguy

Banned
I agree that the game is harder than it looks. I think it's a bit faster paced.

If an enemy approaches your cover, as soon as you can, get a 3 hit melee combo and then duck back into cover, that's what I do.

HyperionX

Miburou said:

Because there's no auto-aim in this game.

Admit that you've playing pussy shooting games all this time!!!
:D

teiresias said:

uhh..what? Jak 2 had parts where I literaly hurled the controller out the window... and the vehicle combat and the final battle in Jak 3 were incredibly frustrating....far less vehicular stuff for the next Jak please..

dralla

the lack of auto-aim is going to turn a lot of people off because of the size of the guys you're shooting. they're heads are tiny and its gonna be a bitch for some people to aim.

yea, so I deleted the demo after about 10 play throughs. didn't want to burn myself out on it

Midas

dralla said:
the lack of auto-aim is going to turn a lot of people off because of the size of the guys you're shooting. they're heads are tiny and its gonna be a bitch for some people to aim.

yea, so I deleted the demo after about 10 play throughs. didn't want to burn myself out on it

Practice make perfect. But it's not easy to get a head shot.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
dralla said:

then a lot of people are lazy bastards who have no gaming soul. Auto-aim would make it too easy.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
llTll said:
seriously what gives, as soon as i went to the area where the enimies come from everywhere. i was dead. i tried to do it gears of war style taking cover and shooting. but there were so many. i kill 1, 2 comes and replace him. i dont like the shooting much in the game. its hard.

That's your error right there. Pirates are way smarter than Locust. You gotta take cover, shoot, and move. If you stay in one position, those bastards will flank you.

I found the combat easy, and a damn sight better than expected. Actually, I really enjoyed poping up to take down bad guys.

The cover system is great. Cheers Epic. :D

ksamedi

Played it and kind of liked it, I'm still sceptical because of the repetition factor but I assume there will be some good level design in there and some surprises too. Nice graphics by the way, I stopped to admire the jungle almost every 10 seconds.

Brashnir

dralla said:

A lot of people hated PDZ for the same reason. A lot of the bile directed at that game was for a litany of other reasons as well, but the actual shooting feels pretty similar. The cover system, obviously, does not.

don't take this as a slight against Uncharted either. I actually liked PDZ. In fact, the Uncharted demo got me playing it again, and I still like it.

I'm kinda surprised that people are running out of bullets or finding this game to be too difficult on the normal setting. It feels just about right challenge wise.
The only knock I can think of at the moment is that enemies magically know which side of a wall you are on when you are in cover. I don't mean leaning out to fire from cover, but just going from one side of a wall to the other and they automatically fire in that direction without even seeing you. Melee could be tighter, but I like the RE4-Gears gunplay a lot actually.

Since I haven't played Resistance in a while this is about the only game that currently makes me want to breakdown and import a DualShock3. No way am I paying $80-100 for a standard gamepad though.

ksamedi said:
Nice graphics by the way, I stopped to admire the jungle almost every 10 seconds.
...and the water, and the animation, and the facial expressions, and the wet clothes, and the...

Pachimari

Dizzan said:
That and throwing grenades are the only uses I know of. They both work fine.

And Justin, good idea mate. Swing from vine to vine over croc infested swamps ala Pitfall, run from animals across platform areas, shoot baboons that jump at your head. Cool.
There's more tilting support in the final game, but you'll find out..

People worried about there being too much combat, one of the Eurogamer reviewers has finished the game and said that there is a 50-50 split combat-adventuring/platforming.

Make of that what you will.

Pachimari

Dizzan said:
Good to hear.

Based on the games you've played this year, is this the best?
Yes. But I have to play Super Mario Galaxy, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect and Call of Duty 4 as well - I haven't had time for those.

quetz67

Banned
Anastacio...some -spoilerish- questions

1. Is there more vehicle driving besides Jeep and Jetski. Is there a Jetski part that has more action like the jeep chase?

2. Supernatural story elements or not?

3. How is the variety in environments? Mostly the stuff we already know or some new totally different areas?

pswii60

I keep playing the demo again and again 'cause it looks so amazing! n't wait to see some of the other environments in the full game. And it really makes a change from all the sci-fi and war settings of pretty much every other AAA game this fall (with exception of Ratchet and Mario of course)

deepbrown

llTll said:
i seriously suck at shooting games...but I complete the Uncharted demo on hard quite easily...and I run at them breaking their necks etc. It's soo fun!

Brashnir

pswii60 said:
I keep playing the demo again and again 'cause it looks so amazing! n't wait to see some of the other environments in the full game. And it really makes a change from all the sci-fi and war settings of pretty much every other AAA game this fall (with exception of Ratchet and Mario of course)

How is Ratchet not Sci-Fi?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Awesome graphics, I enjoyed the way the game feels walking around the environment and platforming.

But the combat was screwy and felt weird - its playable and acceptable but it doesn't suit this kind of game imo. Felt like i was just walking into an arena full of zombies with guns with an insane desire to kill me. No idea who they were or what they were doing there or why I should be killing them (just a demo I know! but still).

Like the first combat was like I just walked into a trigger point, they come storming down the hill screaming bloody murder and I kill them. Which was weird, were they expecting me? Do they just storm at anything that moves? Felt like I should be allowed to sneak around this lucious forest and hide in the undergrowth and pick people off from a distance of sneak around them or push them off a cliff and so on. But it was just a shooting gallery but lacked the tightness of Gears.

Some people actually thought combat here was better than Gears? hhmm.... have to say I disagree massively.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kaizoku said:
No idea who they were or what they were doing there or why I should be killing them (just a demo I know! but still).

Which was weird, were they expecting me?

Well, as you say, the demo is a portion of the game taken from Chapter 4..so there'll be some story before this, and more after obviously.

Clearly from the cutscene, they were under attack even before they hit the island (the anti-air fire), so whoever was on the island already doesn't want company (Nathan mentions his hope that no one has beaten them to the island). After they downed the plane, they're obviously going to be on the lookout for any survivors, or the parachutists who left the plane.

Even still, though, Nathan mentions 'strangers trying to kill them', so their motivation possibly isn't entirely known at that point (except perhaps, generally, that they're hunting for the same thing Nathan/Elena are).

1. Is there more vehicle driving besides Jeep and Jetski. Is there a Jetski part that has more action like the jeep chase?

2. Supernatural story elements or not?

3. How is the variety in environments? Mostly the stuff we already know or some new totally different areas?

Answering any of those questions would spoil a lot of stuff and you know that people couldn't avoid reading them...

Top Bottom