• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

deepbrown

kaizoku said:
Awesome graphics, I enjoyed the way the game feels walking around the environment and platforming.

But the combat was screwy and felt weird - its playable and acceptable but it doesn't suit this kind of game imo. Felt like i was just walking into an arena full of zombies with guns with an insane desire to kill me. No idea who they were or what they were doing there or why I should be killing them (just a demo I know! but still).

Like the first combat was like I just walked into a trigger point, they come storming down the hill screaming bloody murder and I kill them. Which was weird, were they expecting me? Do they just storm at anything that moves? Felt like I should be allowed to sneak around this lucious forest and hide in the undergrowth and pick people off from a distance of sneak around them or push them off a cliff and so on. But it was just a shooting gallery but lacked the tightness of Gears.

Some people actually thought combat here was better than Gears? hhmm.... have to say I disagree massively.

The first three levels are mainly platforming and exploring. The pirates saw your plane crash, hence the reason why they call you "aeroplane man". Drake says "I hope we're the first here" on the plane...so you'll find out why a bunch of pirates are on the island. It intrigued me...

edit- beaten

Lolll @ people finding this game/demo too hard. WTF!!
I usually hate shooters but I aced this game, and enjoyed it immensely. The control system is so perfect.
Some gamers need to grow some cojones... if you know what i mean.

Pachimari

quetz67 said:
Anastacio...some -spoilerish- questions

1. Is there more vehicle driving besides Jeep and Jetski. Is there a Jetski part that has more action like the jeep chase?

2. Supernatural story elements or not?

3. How is the variety in environments? Mostly the stuff we already know or some new totally different areas?
Okay, knowing how people just can't stop reading spoilers :)P) I won't answer question 2 even though I can. I'll answer the other ones. I will spoilermark them, so it's up to people themselves if they wanna read the answers or not.

There are no other vehicle levels. One jeep level, two jetski levels (the second one being one of my favorites).

The variety is great, there's a lot of different enviroments. Some you haven't even seen.

dirtmonkey37 said:
To Anastacio:

Is the demo comprised of a portion of the final retail code?
What do you mean?

gofreak said:
Well, as you say, the demo is a portion of the game taken from Chapter 4..so there'll be some story before this, and more after obviously.

Clearly from the cutscene, they were under attack even before they hit the island (the anti-air fire), so whoever was on the island already doesn't want company (Nathan mentions his hope that no one has beaten them to the island). After they downed the plane, they're obviously going to be on the lookout for any survivors, or the parachutists who left the plane.

Even still, though, Nathan mentions 'strangers trying to kill them', so their motivation possibly isn't entirely known at that point (except perhaps, generally, that they're hunting for the same thing Nathan/Elena are).
All of it is explained in the final game, before chapter 4.
Nothing mind boggling or wowsome

neorej

ERMYGERD!
One little question, Anastacio, you might be able to help me out with.

On the plane, Elena wears a Parachute with JP on the strap, where Nathan has ND. Now ND stands for either Naughty Dog or Nathan Drake (I'm guessing he first, since Nathan doesn't even know if there are parachutes on board), but what does JP mean?

Pachimari

neorej said:

On the plane, Elena wears a Parachute with JP on the strap, where Nathan has ND. Now ND stands for either Naughty Dog or Nathan Drake (I'm guessing he first, since Nathan doesn't even know if there are parachutes on board), but what does JP mean?
I don't think that is explained in the final game, though I didn't notice or try to find out. Maybe it explains it in the 'Chronicles of Sir Francis Drake' presskit I got.

Erebus

I'm about to pre-order the US version of the game. Do you think it will run on PAL PS3s?

EDIT: Too late, US version pre-ordered! Fingers crossed that NaughtyDog is well aware that EU gamers can import US games :p

ETA was either 11/16 or 11/19

quetz67

Banned
The Hug Dog said:
Ok i need to get this demo. How tricky is it to set up a U.S account? (I'm in the UK)
it is as tricky or not as setting up any other account...you need another email address and I didnt manage to be able to buy stuff from the US store with my credit card, besides that no problem

keyrat

I remember when watching previews of this game that one of the longer jumps in the demo switches the camera mid-jump to a cinematic view, but when i play i can't get the cinematic shot. does it exist, is the jump in the demo not the same one, or was it taken out?

VonGak!

Banned
neorej said:

Good question, what's the name of Nathan's partner? ^.^ Too bad it didn't say JC for Jake Cutter from Tales of the Gold Monkey.

quetz67

Banned
thanks, Anastacio, I dont think the existance of a nice variety of different environments will spoil anything...and I wont tell anybody about the buried spaceship and the nekkid dancing aliens ... oooops!

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Finally got around to playing the demo this weekend, was very excited about this game

Great
+Gunplay
+Animations
+Shadowing
+jumping\climbing

Needs Improvment
-cover system
-textures and overall graphics look

Someone please tell me the graphics get better, the jungle was uninspiring at best MANY games this gen have already surpassed the low poly jungle scenes in Drakes demo. The ground textures are HORRIBLE it actually detracts from teh game and gameplay. They call that grass?!?!? Please see Halo3 and COD4 grass\plant life.

I liked the way the foliage moves and the shadows but sorry not enough to impress. What was up with the Halo1 bumpmapped cave textures all over teh jungle just looked really fake and out of place.

It's possible I just had to high of expectations but I wasn't nearly as impressed as I had hoped, this was a day 1 purchase for me but now it looks like a renter. Fricken Motorctorm is get lonely and I"m out of PSN games to buy. :-|

The cover system was really tiy or miss for me, I think I actually like it more than gears though.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Miburou said:
I keep running out of bullets, and I keep getting shot at by enemies that I wasn't aware were there.
That's because they weren't there ;) they constantly move in and try to flank your butt.

yurinka

I loved the demo, even in my SD tv. Awesome art and sound direction, animations, controls, gameplay, backgrounds, characters modelling, textures, music, fx sound...

It have a lot of little details that I really love (like in a MGS game) like some random animations.

Only a few really minor things I think it could be improved in the final build: I want to kill the bad guys with the first headshot, sometimes I need some shoot more times. Also when you jump in the water, the splash can be improved a lot.

It's a day 1 purchase for me, the best thing I played in my PS3. IMO, looks like it will be PS3's GOTY (but I want to play Assasins Creed).

Forget and ban the trolls. This game is glory.

Pachimari

tinfoilhatman said:
Finally got around to playing the demo this weekend, was very excited about this game

Great
+Gunplay
+Animations
+Shadowing
+jumping\climbing

Needs Improvment
-cover system

Someone please tell me the graphics get better, the jungle was uninspiring at best MANY games this gen have already surpassed the low poly jungle scenes in Drakes demo. The ground textures are HORRIBLE it actually detracts from teh game and gameplay. They call that grass?!?!? Please see Halo3 and COD4 grass\plant life.

I liked the way the foliage moves and the shadows but sorry not enough to impress. What was up with the Halo1 bumpmapped cave textures all over teh jungle just looked really fake and out of place.

It's possible I just had to high of expectations but I wasn't nearly as impressed as I had hoped, this was a day 1 purchase for me but now it looks like a renter. Fricken Motorctorm is get lonely and I"m out of PSN games to buy. :-|

The cover system
Well... artistically, the level in the demo is the worst in my opinion. Technically and graphically, I can't follow your complaints to be honest. But different people, different opinions - that's okay. =)

tinfoilhatman

Anastacio said:
Well... artistically, the level in the demo is the worst in my opinion.

Thank God I hope that the case, I even took time to tune my TV until the game looked the best it could.

The very minor Tearing didn't bother me a bit I'm used to 360 games tearing.

Cover system was hit or miss for me, it didn't seem very smart but that can of course be tuned.

deepbrown

tinfoilhatman said:

Great
+Gunplay
+Animations
+Shadowing
+jumping\climbing

Needs Improvment
-cover system

The cover system was really hiy or miss for me, I think I actually like it more than gears though.

Best ground textures I've seen in a game, bar none. Always throught it was an excuse for higher resolution surrounding textures, but ND have come up trumps. Though the AF is better in HS. The jungle is not low poly. The grass is artistic - it's their style, they are not going for realism. Best looking game on the ps3 (and consoles) without any shadow of a doubt. Even in that demo.

deepbrown

tinfoilhatman said:
Thank God I hope that the case, I even took time to tune my TV until the game looked the best it could.

Cover system was hit or miss for me, it didn't seem very smart but that can of course be tuned.
Tuned? It's the finished code. If it's not smart...maybe it was you who wasn't being smart.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
tinfoilhatman said:
Needs Improvment
-cover system

The cover system was really tiy or miss for me, I think I actually like it more than gears though.
oh boy. Graphics are best this gen. Did you really play the demo? Or are you basing this on videos? Are you playing on an SDTV?

What exactly didnt you like about the cover system. Could you elaborate? You comments are way too general.

tinfoilhatman

deepbrown said:
Best ground textures I've seen in a game. The jungle is not low poly. The grass is artistic - it's their style, they are not going for realism. Best looking game on the ps3 (and consoles) without any shadow of a doubt. Even in that demo.

Best ground textures you've seen? Wow I'm sorry I thought looked as bad or worse than oblivion, and the grass wow where do I start I saw better grass last gen. I'm sorry but the jungle looks fake as fake can get, looks like far cry 1.

deepbrown

tinfoilhatman said:
Best ground textures you've seen? Wow I'm sorry I thought looked as bad or worse than oblivion, and the grass wow where do I start I saw better grass last gen.

Look at the friggin ground you muppet. Directly below you. If you think that's bad ground texture, every single one of your comments is worthless. Best ground textures in a game BAR NONE. No hyperbole.

Looks fake? It's not meant to be realistic...does Drake look real? No he and the environment looks painterly. Far Cry...now you're trolling, get the frig out of this thread. Conclusion, you're not very smart.

Gattsu25

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:
Best ground textures you've seen? Wow I'm sorry I thought looked as bad or worse than oblivion, and the grass wow where do I start I saw better grass last gen. I'm sorry but the jungle looks fake as fake can get, looks like far cry 1.
I agree with you, entirely. The graphics look like Unreal 1! The Doom 1 shareware looked better than this!

Now that you're not the only person saying this...can you please stop trolling this thread?

deepbrown

b4ue4eo8.jpg

DSCF7961.jpg

CASE MADE.

tinfoilhatman

PistolGrip said:
oh boy. Graphics are best this gen. Did you really play the demo? Or are you basing this on videos? Are you playing on an SDTV?

What exactly didnt you like about the cover system. Could you elaborate? You comments are way too general.

No I'm playing on a 1080p 57 mitsu

Cover system was alright but it was unpridictable at times, like I said I liked it better than gears but still not perfect.

I guess I just had really high hopes after listening to everyone talk about this game and how great the graphics were, they jsut don't seem that great to me after just playing through Motorstorm, OrangeBox, COD4, HALO3 and Bioshock.

I also played with a friend of mine who's a much harder core gamer than me and his impressions were meh as well. Hell I even pumped it up for him maybe my fault.

tinfoilhatman

deepbrown said:
b4ue4eo8.jpg

DSCF7961.jpg

CASE MADE.

Umm yea like I said we saw that on Halo 1 like 5 years ago

How does that look realistic in any way shape or form, it's like their using those features jsut to use them when a normal high rez texture would have been even better.

deepbrown

tinfoilhatman said:

How does that look realistic in any way shape or form, it's like their using those features jsut to use them when a normal high rez texture would have been even better.

REALISTIC? THIS ISN'T CRYSIS. Look at the art style you eejit. Go away.

jax (old)

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:

I think that's your problem.

the cover plays exactly like GOW... I wonder if you had problems with that?

sprocket

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:
No I'm playing on a 1080p 57 mitsu

Cover system was alright but it was unpridictable at times, like I said I liked it better than gears but still not perfect.

I guess I just had really high hopes after listening to everyone talk about this game and how great the graphics were, they jsut don't seem that great to me after just playing through Motorstorm, OrangeBox, COD4, HALO3 and Bioshock.

I also played with a friend of mine who's a much harder core gamer than me and his impressions were meh as well. Hell I even pumped it up for him maybe my fault.

please... those games are not even close.

This is the same guy that popped into another Uncharted thread telling people that calling it a possible GOTY candidate was premature and then proceeded to list off a bunch of 360 games that would be the GOTY. Just to give you an idea of where he's coming from.

patsu

tinfoilhatman said:

:lol (!!!) Does Uncharted scare you so much so that you have to lie to stay in your comfort zone ?

Even though it's not going for the photorealistic style, it's looks every bit as convincing and believable (Did you see the trees and tall grasses swaying in the wind ? Did you see how the pirates behave ? Did you see the waters ? etc.)

Pray tell me what is an abnormal high rez texture.

Burli

Pringo
So I played the demo on my friends PS3, I was very impressed. Slightly skepticle at first, but it's just meaty fun, looks very nice, reminds me a lot of a game I loved on the megadrive called Flashback.

Basically I want a PS3 even more now. Good show!

tinfoilhatman

PistolGrip said:
I think you more than made your case. Wow anyone who can look at this screen and say is low res or last gen is sick in the head, blind or just a troll.

Yea because anyone that doesn’t bow before Naughty dog or the PS3 is a troll right?

Gimme a break, you zealots can tell each other whatever you want to hear to make yourselves feel better, Uncharted looks like a solid 8 game but anyone that thinks this game is even a GOTY candidate(same people who said that about Lair) are going to be sorely disappointed.

kay

Burli said:
So I played the demo on my friends PS3, I was very impressed. Slightly skepticle at first, but it's just meaty fun, looks very nice, reminds me a lot of a game I loved on the megadrive called Flashback.

Basically I want a PS3 even more now. Good show!
Reminded me of Winback but mixed with new features.

tinfoilhatman said:
Gimme a break, you zealots can tell each other whatever you want to hear to make yourselves feel better
Okay, you're an idiot.

tinfoilhatman

SolidSnakex said:
This is the same guy that popped into another Uncharted thread telling people that calling it a possible GOTY candidate was premature and then proceeded to list off a bunch of 360 games that would be the GOTY. Just to give you an idea of where he's coming from.

Yes and if you go back and read that thread my first post was DEFENDING Drakes but yea people tend to jsut ignore what they don't want to see.

Yes because every single one of the games I listed(except Mass effect) have already been mentioned by mutiple media outlets as GOTY.

What non-Sony media outlet has gotten behind Drakes as GOTY again and what kind of scores is\will it be getting?

Lets jsut come back to this thread after the reviews are out

RavenFox

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:
Yea because anyone that doesn’t bow before Naughty dog or the PS3 is a troll right?

Gimme a break, you zealots can tell each other whatever you want to hear to make yourselves feel better, Uncharted looks like a solid 8 game but anyone that thinks this game is even a GOTY candidate(same people who said that about Lair) are going to be sorely disappointed.
I tell you what go back to your 1080p SD set [has to be SD] under your bridge and we'll handle it from here.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
tinfoilhatman said:

well you could just be sick in the head or blind?? Not really calling you a troll but your like a crazy person who claims his fingers have turned to pickles and get angry @ people who think you're nuts. Its not about opinions here, its about BS that your are typing and the fact that you go out of your way to dismiss this game because you fear it will be great.

tinfoilhatman

PistolGrip said:
well you could just be sick in the head or blind?? Not really calling you a troll but your like a crazy person who claims his fingers have turned to pickles and get angry @ people who think you're nuts. Its not about opinions here, its about BS that your are typing and the fact that you go out of your way to dismiss this game because you fear it will be great.

Yes I'm afraid of a video game, what plantet do you people live on?

deepbrown

tinfoilhatman said:
Yes and if you go back and read that thread my first post was DEFENDING Drakes but yea people tend to jsut ignore what they don't want to see.

Yes because every single one of the games I listed(except Mass effect) have already been mentioned by mutiple media outlets as GOTY.

What non-Sony media outlet has gotten behind Drakes as GOTY again and what kind of scores is\will it be getting?

Lets jsut come back to this thread after the reviews are out

Any reviews won't change the fact that what you said about the graphics and the ground textures was 100% false. We're only picking on you because what you say is a complete utter mess of maggot infested dung.

why are people responding to a guy called tinfoilhat...its all in the name...he must be an internet persona, surely....

a zealot calling other zealots though...could be real

Steroyd

tinfoilhatman said:

Will people stop with this shit? >_<

I don't think your post is worth a 4/10, first the insulting definately makes it a 3/10 IMO and the full of shit next paragraph brings it down to a 2/10.

Maybe the 4/10 was for the trolling effort.

sprocket

Banned
PistolGrip said:
I think you more than made your case. Wow anyone who can look at this screen and say is low res or last gen is sick in the head, blind or just a troll.

What is even better about that is that it is a procedural texture. And unlike other games that just repeat smaller detail textures when up close to make it look high rez there is no signs are repeating which is one of those things you notice even if you do not know what you are looking at.

deepbrown

sprocket said:
What is even better about that is that it is a procedural texture. And unlike other games that just repeat smaller detail textures when up close to make it look high rez there is no signs are repeating which is one of those things you notice even if you do not know what you are looking at.
Plus when you get close to all the textures...they don't pixelate! Hand painted textures for the win!

f@luS

More than a member.
tinfoilhatman said:
I guess I just had really high hopes after listening to everyone talk about this game and how great the graphics were, they jsut don't seem that great to me after just playing through HALO3

Oh , my , freakin , god :lol

Top Bottom