• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

neorej

ERMYGERD!
_leech_ said:
Obviously not the one where Halo 1 looks as good as Uncharted.

Laughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I guess I just had really high hopes after listening to everyone talk about this game and how great the graphics were, they jsut don't seem that great to me after just playing through Motorstorm, OrangeBox, COD4, HALO3 and Bioshock.
What exactly did you expect? Those games all look fantastic but there is NO QUESTION that Uncharted is doing more impressive things than all of them.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
PistolGrip said:
I think you more than made your case. Wow anyone who can look at this screen and say is low res or last gen is sick in the head, blind or just a troll.

yes and here's how the game actually looks when your actually playing

uncharted-drakes-fortune-20071107053234156.jpg

Yes mindblowingly impressive I know

Holtz

TheBranca18 said:
Are you seriously posting one screenshot and discrediting a game? What kind of gamer are you?
A fanboy of the worst kind. The one that ruins good threads and derails them with his bullshit. How he is not banned yet, i will never know. :/

sprocket

Banned
tinfoilhatman said:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/833/833632/uncharted-drakes-fortune-20071107053234156.jpg[/IMG]

LoL you don't have a ps3 huh? If you did you would know that screen is a blurred out mess!:lol

tinfoilhatman said:

decent attempt to troll

(neutral) tinfoilhatman
did I mention I also have a house made of straw?
(Today, 04:18 PM)
Reply | Quote

dont play the game people

Dragon

Banned
Why don't you take some in-game shots of the game running on your mitsu? I'm sure it looks a hell of a lot better, instead of taking some shot from IGN from who knows when.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I COMPLETELY disagree.

This applies to many other games as well. I've often attempted to find screens that convey the beauty of games such as Gears of War, but they are incredibly difficult to find. That's one of the nastiest looking Uncharted screens I've seen and feel that it looks vastly superior on my own television.

I mean, does THIS look anywhere near as good as what you see when you play these other games?

926632_20070921_screen008.jpg

928234_112906_screen011.jpg

934384_20071010_screen049.jpg

931329_20070820_screen008.jpg

928393_20070305_screen001.jpg

Mojovonio

Banned
So I played the demo over the weekend.

Other than how much I hate aiming the grenades and the log crossing method, I loved the demo.

The way Drake is portrayed as a normal guy comes across really well and really brought me in to the experience. I like how there's a bunch of animations for simple things, like crossing gaps.

Moving through the grass looks phenomenal.

The water looks amazing, the way it flows around corners.

The way EVERYTHING sways in the wind is sooo good.

kay

dark10x said:
I COMPLETELY disagree.

This applies to many other games as well. I've often attempted to find screens that convey the beauty of games such as Gears of War, but they are incredibly difficult to find. That's one of the nastiest looking Uncharted screens I've seen and feel that it looks vastly superior on my own television.

I mean, does THIS look anywhere near as good as what you see when you play these other games?

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/263/reviews/926632_20070921_screen008.jpg[img]
[img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/332/928234_112906_screen011.jpg[img]
[img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/282/reviews/934384_20071010_screen049.jpg[img]
[img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/231/reviews/931329_20070820_screen008.jpg[img]
[img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/063/reviews/928393_20070305_screen001.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Don't even waste your energy

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
tinfoilhatman said:
No, the game looks like direct feed screens when you're playing. Not like some half-assed IGN capture screens with washed out colors and contrast.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yep, I loved the balancing. It's just fun, and it's pretty easy too. I had to literally do things wrong to make it fall off the log to see that animation. It was actually more difficult to make him fall than to walk across I thought.

Hammer24

Banned
Somehow its funny to see how we now reached the point where critizising a PS3 game automatically deems you a troll worthy of a banhammer. Oh, and sad too.
Just so you know, I checked the demo out at a friends house, because this is one of my favorite genres and I wanted to find out if this game is worth it to finally buy a PS3 for. But its not worth posting the impressions here in this thread.

Mojovonio

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
I liked balancing on the log...maybe even my favourite 6 axis use...nice and subtle

It just felt unnecessary to me, like all of the sudden, the way I was controlling the game doesn't apply anymore in this small instance.

I'm sure if they use it in other situations in the full game, I'll feel different, but it just felt out of place for me.

Dragon

Banned
Hammer24 said:
Somehow its funny to see how we now reached the point where critizising a PS3 game automatically deems you a troll worthy of a banhammer. Oh, and sad too.
Just so you know, I checked the demo out at a friends house, because this is one of my favorite genres and I wanted to find out if this game is worth it to finally buy a PS3 for. But its not worth posting the impressions here in this thread.

There's a difference between criticizing and being trollish. That guy crossed his line with his comments. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in what you have to say. I don't think the game is perfect by any means, but I absolutely loved the demo, the atmosphere, and dug the shooting and platforming aspects of it. Not to mention I love Drake's character.

Gattsu25

Banned
Mojovonio said:
It just felt unnecessary to me, like all of the sudden, the way I was controlling the game doesn't apply anymore in this small instance.

I'm sure if they use it in other situations in the full game, I'll feel different, but it just felt out of place for me.
You didn't use the Right Analog stick to balance on the log?

Dragon

Banned
BTW, part of it was I love that guy from Firefly and he does the English voice. I think they hit the nail on the head with him.

Hammer24 said:

if your criticisms are legitimate you wouldnt have a problem... but your articulation suggests...somefink

BeeDog

Hammer24 said:

Not really. People are swallowing his bait when he spews out ridiculous stuff that many find plain stupid.

sprocket

Banned
Hammer24 said:

Yes saying one of the best looking console games made so far looks like halo1 is not trolling. Then going on to say halo3 looks better isn't close to trolling I agree.

kay

Hammer24 said:
I'm not defending the people who complained about the GOOD critiques, but the ones that are just "this game sucks because it isn't <insert game>" or other variants are just stupid.

Mojovonio

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
You didn't use the Right Analog stick to balance on the log?

No, I used Sixaxxis, i didn't know you could use the right-stick, as the sixaxxis icon came up and i just used that.

That would be much better for me.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hammer24 said:

Actually that dude is trolling. It has nothing to do with critizing the graphics, he is pretty much out to get a reaction out of the guys in this thread hence the Halo reverences. Anyway imo you can nitpick about quite a few things if it comes to graphics in this game. And I think if you address them in a proper manner you even can discuss them here.

deepbrown

Mojovonio said:
No, I used Sixaxxis, i didn't know you could use the right-stick, as the sixaxxis icon came up and i just used that.

That would be much better for me.

I think you can use the stick for the grenade as well...

kay said:
I'm not defending the people who complained about the GOOD critiques, but the ones that are just "this game sucks because it isn't <insert game>" or other variants are just stupid.

But it's an opinion, you know? Why would people be allowed to say "UNCHARTED IS GAME OF THE CENTURY IT LOOKS BETTER THAN EVERYTHING" hyperbole things like that, then?

It's an opinion, they could be positive or negative, but they're opinions. People had them on Halo 3, had them on Bioshock, on Heavenly Swords, and will have them on Uncharted.

You guys need to calm the fuck down, it's not your game, it's A game.

Mojovonio

Banned
deepbrown said:
I think you can use the stick for the grenade as well...

Yeah, I just really didn't think about it.

If i get a chance to go back to my buddies house this week, I'll try that.

Either way, I really enjoyed the demo.

I'm a bitch for jungle environments and this game nails the look.

Though I get a weird Crash Bandicoot feeling from the level design.

It feels VERY Naughty Dog, and that's not a bad thing in any way.

kay

Littleberu said:
But it's an opinion, you know? Why would people be allowed to say "UNCHARTED IS GAME OF THE CENTURY IT LOOKS BETTER THAN EVERYTHING" hyperbole things like that, then?

It's an opinion, they could be positive or negative, but they're opinions. People had them on Halo 3, had them on Bioshock, on Heavenly Swords, and will have them on Uncharted.

Opinions are one thing, but trying to put people down for liking games that won't win game of the year or match their perfect game is trolling.

Dragon

Banned
Littleberu said:

It's an uninformed opinion that only is trying to do one thing. It's absolutely ridiculous and not worth defending. Comparing any 360 or PS3 game to a PS2/XBox game is atrocious, especially an early XBox game like Halo.

Mojovonio

Banned
sprocket said:
Artistic aesthetics aside. You just can not deny how advanced the graphical tech in this game is compared to other games.

The fact that there are tons of shadows everywhere and they aren't jagged as shit is enough for me to be impressed with the game's tech.

deepbrown

Littleberu said:

Yuh it's an opinion, but his opinion about the textures is WRONG. There is a difference...there's no room for opinions there. It's my opinion The Queen has one eye. Yuh it's an opinion, but it's false.

Whether Uncharted is GOTY is an opinion, and is neither true or false, without a strong case being made after playing the full game.

Finally the played the demo.

- Graphics are good. Not the best ever, but still really good. AA makes it look smooth. Animations are top notch, but the character does still slide a little bit and sometimes seems to lack weight. No noticeable framedrops.

- Gameplay is fun. Clambering is excellent, although there were some unclimbable ledges near the beginning that broke the illusion somewhat. Hand to hand combat is great, in fact I much prefer it to the gunplay.

I'll definitely be picking this up after playing the demo. It reminded me of a cross between Flashback and Tomb Raider (two of my favorite games).

quetz67

Banned
Littleberu said:
Have a look a the ground texture pics he posted and compare them to those in the Halo 1 pics posted. You dont really want to tell me it is a matter of opinion or taste, which looks better.

And not owning a 360 I am quite surprised how lacking some of the textures in Halo3 or Gears look compared to Uncharted (while I think Bioshock looks quite competent all around). And none of those has the perfect foliage shadows. I always critizised the older builds for the flickering shadows, I am baffled where they freed the extra memory to make them this sharp.

TheBranca18 said:
It's an uninformed opinion that only is trying to do one thing. It's absolutely ridiculous and not worth defending. Comparing any 360 or PS3 game to a PS2/XBox game is atrocious, especially an early XBox game like Halo.

I know, but I get equally angry when you post shit like : "OMG KILLZONE 2 IS SO GONNA BE THE BEST THING EVER" or "UNCHARTED IS COOL, SO COOL RAWWR" and try to spin everything in their advantage.

But that's fanboy babbles. That's part of it. IMO, if we banned poster that compared uncharted to Halo 1, we'd need to ban those who said it looked better than everything. That's, ultimately, the same bullshit.

But that's my opinion.

deepbrown

Littleberu said:
I know, but I get equally angry when you post shit like : "OMG KILLZONE 2 IS SO GONNA BE THE BEST THING EVER" or "UNCHARTED IS COOL, SO COOL RAWWR" and try to spin everything in their advantage.

But that's fanboy babbles. That's part of it. IMO, if we banned poster that compared uncharted to Halo 1, we'd need to ban those who said it looked better than everything. That's, ultimately, the same bullshit.

But that's my opinion.
Why is it the same bullshit? When we can provide both relevant tech and screenshots to prove the point?

sprocket

Banned
Littleberu said:

But that's my opinion.

Not the same. Uncharted having high rez textures is a fact. Uncharted being the best ever is an opinion.

Top Bottom