• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

the_id

Kevtones said:
Kind of shocked people are going ga-ga over this game after playing through the demo. It was decent (and very pretty), but nothing spectacular. The gameplay felt rather sluggish to me, even with the sensitivity up, and the design seems rather average too...

7/10 as of now.

commence crucifixion

you're not trying hard enough. please elaborate further on your points and we might just give it a try.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Core407 said:
Are you dating a Japanese business man?
:lol South American Latin girl actually. Also casual relationship with a asian chic who can't stop singing when shes with me ;)

tag for reference :(

Wollan

-viper- said:
DSCF7944.jpg

DSCF7957.jpg

DSCF7949.jpg

DSCF7961.jpg

DSCF7962.jpg

DSCF7967.jpg

DSCF7881.jpg

MY HEAD HAS EXPLODED.
*touches self*

YYZ

Elbrain said:
The Texturing on those pictures are fucking unbelievable holy shit man I need to play the demo again!
They don't look that good on my LCD monitor, goddamn I'm jealous. Look at the butt of his gun, jesus!!!

calder

YYZ said:
They don't look that good on my LCD monitor, goddamn I'm jealous. Look at the butt of his gun, jesus!!!
Off screen camera shots help, but damn I was at my brothers house yesterday and seeing him playing COD4 on his ridiculous 40' plasma sickened me. Just the colours versus what I see on my LCD (about the cheapest I could find heh) were very noticeable, I guess the extra thousand dollars he spent on his set versus mine isn't all for a nicer remote or better brand name. ;)

Kittonwy

Banned
Elbrain said:
The Texturing on those pictures are fucking unbelievable holy shit man I need to play the demo again!

I play the demo over and over for the gameplay. Pulling off headshots/necksnap/dropkick in the face/brutal combos never gets old, it's fucking challenging everytime, I like it the same way I like HALO 3 covenant encounters on heroic, except the melee gives me the goosebumps and I can do headshots with a handgun.
Indifferent2.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
there MUST be a way to calibrate an LCD HDTV so that the image looks like that. It's just color after all.

Omeyocan

I played the demo over and over again on my 27" SD TV. But I the difference is huge playing it on a 32" LCD TV.

I wish I could have one soon.

Kittonwy

Banned
Omeyocan said:
I played the demo over and over again on my 27" SD TV. But I the difference is huge playing it on a 32" LCD TV.

I wish I could have one soon.

It looks good on my 32" Bravia but not as good as those shots, still awesome though. Too bad I can't kill that tucan when I shoot at it.
Indifferent2.gif

TEH-CJ

Banned
TTP said:
there MUST be a way to calibrate an LCD HDTV so that the image looks like that. It's just color after all.

Its just the way you calibrate your HDTV.

i have a Hitachi LCD that comes nowhere near a bravia in terms of specs...yet it trumps most hdtv out there because i calibrated it to perfection.

for those who have a LCD, make sure you lower your contrast so that you are able to see detail in white surfaces, . Too high of conrast and your image will apear harsh and will loose some IQ.

Put your TV color tone to "Warm" as it helps brings high res textures to pop and brings out minor details, also gives the game a more natural look.

Brightness is also important, make sure the brightness is lower than the contrast and lower it enough so you can still see details in heavy shadows.

sharpness should be around 10, enough so it gives the picture some clarity and sharpness and brings out the detail in textures but not too high as the image will start looking jaggy and harsh.

finally turn your Backlight down to about 4 or 5, too high and it starts affecting black levels and makes the image harsh on your eyes, oh yea and Color settings should be enough to make the image look natrual but not overdone so the colors start bleeding

i cant wait to get my new Bravia x series so i can calibrate that and get a even more orgasmic picturte quality :D

hope that helps.

Roat

Banned
TTP said:

Find me the setting that removes the jaggies while you're at it :)

Is it because it's being taken with a camera?

TEH-CJ

Banned
All good bro's anytime :)

anyways off to play some more uncharted and find even more tiny details that ND is well known for :D

I have a RP CRT fiddy 1 inch and its jaw dropping. Its not even calibrated yet, im going to drop 3-400 hundred on a pro calibration and it will eat any tv you see in stores. Come on guys, support the CRTs

Mirimar

Kittonwy said:
It looks good on my 32" Bravia but not as good as those shots, still awesome though. Too bad I can't kill that tucan when I shoot at it.
Indifferent2.gif

Lol, that is the first thing I did when I saw the tucan my first run through. I was expecting it to explode, ala Boondock Saints =(

+1 here.

It looks like I"ll be getting Assasin's Creed as well.

Too bad I won't be able to play either until mid-December--grad school owns me right now :(

I have call of Duty 4 collecting dust because no time to play it.

Ravenn17

Do calibrated settings take time to get used to? Whenever I try new settings from AVS, the HD content I watch doesn't look impressive at all.

calder

TEH-CJ said:
hope that helps.

It did help, thanks! I've known the TV wasn't calibrated right since I got it, hell I didn't even really change any settings since I first plugged in a non-HD digital cable box into it via RCA, but I never knew what to do and trial and error just seemed to make things worse. But your basic advice helped a lot.

I had my brightness and contrast at the same level, and both too high I now see. And my sharpness was pegged at 9 for some reason, dropping that to 4 and changing the colour temp from cool to warm seemed to help the colours look a lot more vibrant. Still not quite as good as the off-screen shots of course, but it's noticeably better now. :)

RiverBed

Banned
TEH-CJ said:

i have a Hitachi LCD that comes nowhere near a bravia in terms of specs...yet it trumps most hdtv out there because i calibrated it to perfection.

for those who have a LCD, make sure you lower your contrast so that you are able to see detail in white surfaces, . Too high of conrast and your image will apear harsh and will loose some IQ.

Put your TV color tone to "Warm" as it helps brings high res textures to pop and brings out minor details, also gives the game a more natural look.

Brightness is also important, make sure the brightness is lower than the contrast and lower it enough so you can still see details in heavy shadows.

sharpness should be around 10, enough so it gives the picture some clarity and sharpness and brings out the detail in textures but not too high as the image will start looking jaggy and harsh.

finally turn your Backlight down to about 4 or 5, too high and it starts affecting black levels and makes the image harsh on your eyes, oh yea and Color settings should be enough to make the image look natrual but not overdone so the colors start bleeding

i cant wait to get my new Bravia x series so i can calibrate that and get a even more orgasmic picturte quality :D

hope that helps.
great, thanks for the tips. I'll try those settings. :)

Omeyocan

It looks good on my 32" Bravia but not as good as those shots, still awesome though.

I tought Sony had the best LCD TVs. So those shots were taken with what type of TV then?

If I could purchase an LCD TV, I would go for a Sony or Samsung 40" full HD. My distance from the TV would be more or less 114-115". Do you think it would be great to play Uncharted at 720p with that TV at that distance ?

Sorry to be a little off the thread.

calder said:
Off screen camera shots help, but damn I was at my brothers house yesterday and seeing him playing COD4 on his ridiculous 40' plasma sickened me. Just the colours versus what I see on my LCD (about the cheapest I could find heh) were very noticeable, I guess the extra thousand dollars he spent on his set versus mine isn't all for a nicer remote or better brand name. ;)

The game looks awesome on my Vizio (not high priced) LCD. You must need to calibrate it or something. Get a Sony Blu Ray (like Spiderman) press the Triangle button and punch in 7669. It will take you to some calibration tools.

My LCD isn't to Sony LCD levels, but it looks damn good. I would put in up against most other HDTV's once it is calibrated.

B-Ri

cjtiger300 said:
The game looks awesome on my Vizio (not high priced) LCD. You must need to calibrate it or something. Get a Sony Blu Ray (like Spiderman) press the Triangle button and punch in 7669. It will take you to some calibration tools.

My LCD isn't to Sony LCD levels, but it looks damn good. I would put in up against most other HDTV's once it is calibrated.

is that with all sony blu-rays?

Kittonwy

Banned
Mirimar said:
Lol, that is the first thing I did when I saw the tucan my first run through. I was expecting it to explode, ala Boondock Saints =(

Yeah it would be awesome if it explodes when Drake shoots at it.

Anyway, I played the demo... AGAIN.

Still enjoying pulling off brutal combos.

Still going "RAWR" when I dropkick some dude in the face.

Headshots are still totally afw.

Barrels are still cool to blow up.

Indifferent2.gif

TEH-CJ said:

hope that helps.

Good advice, but I would try to find a better setting than Warm. On my TV it lets you adjust RBG levels individually. I'm not saying it will not look good, but I would try to find the best custom levels if possible.

Cnet will sometimes put the recommended setting and they are usually spot on. Just search your TV brand on there sight to look for the recommended settings.

Just remember there settings are optimized in a completely dark room so you might have to turn the back light up more depending on the amount of light in the room. I hope this helps some of you out!

Core407

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Yeah it would be awesome if it explodes when Drake shoots at it.

Anyway, I played the demo... AGAIN.

Still enjoying pulling off brutal combos.

Still going "RAWR" when I dropkick some dude in the face.

Headshots are still totally afw.

Barrels are still cool to blow up.

Indifferent2.gif

I've probably played at least 15 times by now. Still impresses. Stopped dying a long time ago too.

Omeyocan

I have a Apple PowerBook G4 with a DVI port. Can I plug my PS3 in it and play games on my computer screen ? The thing is that port is only out but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

Well I played the demo several times and never bothered to post my impressions but:

The animation and quality are very amazing. Gun shots passing by, every little nook and cranny that drake steps on, bodies etc you see it change. He latches onto something and you can see the exertion on his muscles and face. It's amazing.

If you stand on something with one foot drakes knee will bend while the other stays straight. It's very well done. And the music is top notch as well(When it's needed) there's no need for music while fighting.

People said the game was very linear but I actually got lost at the beginning before finding the campsite(on top of the hill) because everything looks so nicely done. It's not like "Oh here's a ledge and I can grab onto it" everything jsut melds together to look really organic and you have to think "Can I grab onto this and climb?" etc.

On to the negatives. Drake feels "floaty" and not like he has weight sometimes when you're running over objects. It's not always "perfect". The grass compared to the other foliage and environments is really off, it's almost cell shaded and ruins the immersion aspect for me.

Going to new areas doesn't feel "exciting" I found myself just wading through enemies and climbing the same walls over and over.

Apart from that I think it's a great game and should sell nicely if Sony markets it well. I dunno if I'll get this though.

Kittonwy

Banned
CrushDance said:
Well I played the demo several times and never bothered to post my impressions but:

The animation and quality are very amazing. Gun shots passing by, every little nook and cranny that drake steps on, bodies etc you see it change. He latches onto something and you can see the exertion on his muscles and face. It's amazing.

If you stand on something with one foot drakes knee will bend while the other stays straight. It's very well done. And the music is top notch as well(When it's needed) there's no need for music while fighting.

People said the game was very linear but I actually got lost at the beginning before finding the campsite(on top of the hill) because everything looks so nicely done. It's not like "Oh here's a ledge and I can grab onto it" everything jsut melds together to look really organic and you have to think "Can I grab onto this and climb?" etc.

On to the negatives. Drake feels "floaty" and not like he has weight sometimes when you're running over objects. It's not always "perfect". The grass compared to the other foliage and environments is really off, it's almost cell shaded and ruins the immersion aspect for me.

Going to new areas doesn't feel "exciting" I found myself just wading through enemies and climbing the same walls over and over.

Apart from that I think it's a great game and should sell nicely if Sony markets it well. I dunno if I'll get this though.

Do you like the gameplay though? The demo doesn't have as much platforming but how do you like the gunplay and the melee?
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
Do you like the gameplay though? The demo doesn't have as much platforming but how do you like the gunplay and the melee?
Indifferent2.gif
The gunplay and melee systems were both done nicely. And like always the animation made them both shine.

I think if anything, Uncharted will be remembered for pushing animation on everything.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dude, I just did a new combo (for me anyways). I was taking out guys in a different way (more of a bumrush) during the first time to run up on the punks. I jumped down and snuck up on the guy to the far left with his back turned then hit cover, pop the barrel to take out another guy or two, then clear the area. When the second wave came in, I killed everyone but one guy and then flanked him. He jumped out to get a better angle at me and I jumped out and started to melee. Drake pushed him hard back against the fountain ( in the middle) and just wailed on him until he just slumped over KOed.

Awesome shit. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Kintaro said:
Dude, I just did a new combo (for me anyways). I was taking out guys in a different way (more of a bumrush) during the first time to run up on the punks. I jumped down and snuck up on the guy to the far left with his back turned then hit cover, pop the barrel to take out another guy or two, then clear the area. When the second wave came in, I killed everyone but one guy and then flanked him. He jumped out to get a better angle at me and I jumped out and started to melee. Drake pushed him hard back against the fountain ( in the middle) and just wailed on him until he just slumped over KOed.

Awesome shit. :D

I like how they let you approach an encounter differently everytime, the context-sensitive melee is pretty cool and adds a bit of variety.

LMAO YOU SAID BUMRUSH.

Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
CrushDance said:
The gunplay and melee systems were both done nicely. And like always the animation made them both shine.

I think if anything, Uncharted will be remembered for pushing animation on everything.

The animations are great but I really do think they took Gears' cover system and improved on that quite a bit, I love the ability to just climb and hang back on a ledge and use that as a cover spot while taking on people on higher ground, there's so much more freedom in terms of how you can approach an encounter.

I can't stop listening to the music in the menu! This has to be one of the best soundtracks for a video game, ever! It is just superb! I can't wait to here the rest of the music! I think I will go hibernate until the 19th!

By the way, is it supposed to be in stores on the 19th or is it supposed to ship the 19th? I am hoping it is street dated and it will be in stores.

Top Bottom