• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
SolidSnakex said:
Amy has said that they do want to do episodic content. She said that with the model they're using for Uncharted that they could give you new episodes every 3-6 months instead of having you wait for the sequel. It seems like it's something they're planning but they just don't want to say it in the same way they don't want to say they're working on the new Jak.
yeah I remember Amy talking about that. I wonder how this will affect Jak development though :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
deepbrown said:
The demo loading is insane. Skip the cutscene right from the beginning and BOOM. So impressive.
Not only that, but did you notice that the music from the title screen doesn't even stop when the first cutscene begins? It just transitions into it completely seamlessly!

quetz67

Banned
spwolf said:
no its not... unlike most games, Uncharted steams everything so there is no need to load anything...
thats right, still there is no need for any other games to reload the very same level you just died in (unless you want to reload the unskippable cutscene, need to clear the level data for that and then need to reload the game data again)

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Marconelly said:
Not only that, but did you notice that the music from the title screen doesn't even stop when the first cutscene begins? It just transitions into it completely seamlessly!
hmm didnt notice that. Will try the demo again. All these pics are HDTV setup tips are getting me anxious to go home and try this stuff out.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PistolGrip said:
hmm didnt notice that. Will try the demo again. All these pics are HDTV setup tips are getting me anxious to go home and try this stuff out.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's true, but maybe it was a bit of a fluke when I played it.

VonGak!

Banned
Marconelly said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's true, but maybe it was a bit of a fluke when I played it.
I'm 100% sure it isn't a fluke as it does the same in TTP's 10min play-through video at Gamersyde. ^.^

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
VonGak! said:
I'm 100% sure it isn't a fluke as it does the same in TTP's 10min play-through video at Gamersyde. ^.^
OK, so I wasn't crazy.

I have to say I was hugely impressed by that little detail. Surprised there wasn't more talk about it as I've never seen something like that before

VonGak!

Banned
Marconelly said:
OK, so I wasn't crazy.

I have to say I was hugely impressed by that little detail. Surprised there wasn't more talk about it as I've never seen something like that before

Wait, I seem to have been mistaken. :O Re-watched the video and the menu music faded away while the screen still was black but the transition was so quick that it felt like it crossed over the intro.

Sorry. ^.^

IzumiK

Banned
I wonder if I could challenge myself and beat the game entirely in melee combat for any reachable targets.

I just smacked everyone in the demo and it's more fun than shooting. :lol

VonGak!

Banned
IzumiK said:
I wonder if I could challenge myself and beat the game entirely in melee combat for any reachable targets.

If you do, then please do record it all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
VonGak! said:
Wait, I seem to have been mistaken. :O Re-watched the video and the menu music faded away while the screen still was black but the transition was so quick that it felt like it crossed over the intro.

Sorry. ^.^
Ah, OK, that was probably it. I must have pressed start while the music in the title menu was naturally fading away.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
IzumiK said:

after seeing Resident Evil 4 beaten with just the knife....ok

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
I know lol. I've left the music at different times...and it still does it. That makes it feel really professional, and epic.

Even the loading after you die is non-existent! You die and then you're there again, it's scary because i need some time to breath, so I often pause it or run around going "ah where do i go, MAH!"

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
Ah, OK, that was probably it. I must have pressed start while the music in the title menu was naturally fading away.
No you weren't the music trakc is about 3minutes long...try doing it at any moment during the track...it still does it :)

ps. I just did a melee kill where he punches them so they face the other way, and then he kicks the min the small of their back, kind of breaking their spine :/ lol

pswii60

One thing that Sony and their partners are now really starting to nail down this gen is the presentation. With Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and this all having amazing production values. I find the voicework and quality of the presentation in the cut-scenes certainly gets me far more involved in the story than I ever have done in games like Resistance, Halo or Gears for example.

Just played the demo in a new way. I never used focused aim. Strickly pop shots and on the move fire with melee when needed. Very fun, now I see why the Pirates play like that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
deepbrown said:
I know lol. I've left the music at different times...and it still does it. That makes it feel really professional, and epic.
Wohoo! Not crazy again!

Yeah, I was really impressed by that, but then I thought it could have been like those times when you just throw songs on the playslits, and every once in a while it happens that you get that *perfect* transition between two completely unrelated songs, and then you think how you're DJ genius.

spwolf

woa at dts sound... crazy shit... first time i turned my receiver on for this game and sound is bets thing i have ever heard in a game.... crazy, crazy good... it ads so much to the immersion, i cant imaging anyone playing it on stereo.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
spwolf said:
woa at dts sound... crazy shit... first time i turned my receiver on for this game and sound is bets thing i have ever heard in a game.... crazy, crazy good... it ads so much to the immersion, i cant imaging anyone playing it on stereo.
I'm actually in the market for HDMI receiver. Anyone have any recommendations? All these ps3 games with 7.1 surround sound support is getting to me (yeah I uncharted is only 5.1) . I currently have an Onkio 5.1 receiver.

spwolf said:
Yeah, I did a double take when I saw the readout on my receiver.

For people having control issues, I recommend maxing out the sensitivity, alleviated most of the hangups I was having.

SRG01

Hmm. This comes out on the 19th? My AC/CoD4 bundle is shipping on the 19th too! :lol Not enough time to play all threeeeeeeee!! :lol

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
SRG01 said:
Hmm. This comes out on the 19th? My AC/CoD4 bundle is shipping on the 19th too! :lol Not enough time to play all threeeeeeeee!! :lol
put both on the side on the side for now ;) Nov is for uncharted!

spwolf

PistolGrip said:
I'm actually in the market for HDMI receiver. Anyone have any recommendations? All these ps3 games with 7.1 surround sound support is getting to me (yeah I uncharted is only 5.1) . I currently have an Onkio 5.1 receiver.

check avs forums... lots of people with PS3 there.

Firewire

Banned
PistolGrip said:

Pioneer VSX-94TXH 7.1 A/V Home Theater Receiver

Right now its a pretty good deal at about $1,100.

But there are many options if you want to go cheaper, if I remember correctly Pioneer has another 7.1 system at the $700-$750 mark. Onkyo has some great prices on 7.1 systems but I can't vouch for their quality.

spwolf

EktorPR said:
7.1 is such a loss of money...oh well, to each his own.

i dont think point was 7.1, rather PCM... but when you are buying new receiver, doesnt make sense not to get 7.1 as well.

Firewire

Banned
EktorPR said:
7.1 is such a loss of money...oh well, to each his own.

I can tell the difference between 5.1 & 7.1 and believe me it isn't a waste of money. If you spend coin on a nice T.V. and stuff its easily justifiable to spend extra coin on 7.1

EktorPR

Firewire said:
Pioneer VSX-94TXH 7.1 A/V Home Theater Receiver

Right now its a pretty good deal at about $1,100.

But there are many options if you want to go cheaper, if I remember correctly Pioneer has another 7.1 system at the $700-$750 mark. Onkyo has some great prices on 7.1 systems but I can't vouch for their quality.

Onkyo is great, and offers some 7.1 models, starting at $299.00.

And yes, I know 7.1 is noticeable...if you have a nice, spacious room dedicated to it. 5.1 is enough for me, though (and I consider myself a sound whore).

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
So you do you guys think Uncharted has the potential to sell well in Japan? Rachet being one of the few american games that sell well there, I'm pretty sure unless Drake grows some eye brows he may not get much attention there.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Here's an updated (and probably final) version of the countdown:

I've realized that it looked pretty bad fullscreen due to stretching, and also kinda weird with black border around in unstretched mode, so this version fixes that. Fullscreen will now have this border + map behind, and unstretched version will only have the border (unfortunatelly, it's a limitation of the screensaver making software I'm using)

If you want both (map behind + unstretched) you can run the plain .exe version and press CTRL+F which will switch it's view to full screen/unstretched mode.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FZP0YFW5

8a31vgx.jpg

Marconelly said:

I've realized that it looked pretty bad fullscreen due to stretching, and also kinda weird with black border around in unstretched mode, so this version fixes that. Fullscreen will now have this border + map behind, and unstretched version will only have the border (unfortunatelly, it's a limitation of the screensaver making software I'm using)

If you want both (map behind + unstretched) you can run the plain .exe version and press CTRL+F which will switch it's view to full screen/unstretched mode.

8a31vgx.jpg

I love it fantastic job man thanks!

VonGak!

Banned
Marconelly said:

Top notch ^.^

deepbrown

Marconelly said:

You need to get something out of this Marcs. Put it on a site that gives you advertising moneys.

deepbrown

I'm scared for Uncharted...original games are getting slaughtered. But I guess Uncharted is a shooter, which American's seem to like (or at least American reviewers) so Uncharted should be OK in the reviews. :( Poor original games.

J-Rzez

PistolGrip said:

Uncharted is also 7.1PCM.

Anyways, Denon is some of the best quality and sounding receivers out there on the market. But Onkyo's 7.1PCM capable rigs are much cheaper, and sound well enough as well. Never had any problems with either brand.

Firewire

Banned
J-Rzez said:

Anyways, Denon is some of the best quality and sounding receivers out there on the market. But Onkyo's 7.1PCM capable rigs are much cheaper, and sound well enough as well. Never had any problems with either brand.

What scares me is Onkyo's price. I get this feeling that at such a low price the quality isn't there. But I don't have any experience with their products which kinda makes buying their brand a bit scary.

spwolf

Firewire said:
What scares me is Onkyo's price. I get this feeling that at such a low price the quality isn't there. But I don't have any experience with their products which kinda makes buying their brand a bit scary.

thank god for reviews, thats why I suggested AVS...

J-Rzez

Firewire said:

Yeah, it made me scratch my head looking at the price too as I was used to Denon's prices. But they didn't have 1.3HDMI unit out at the time, and I didn't want to buy one just for LPCM and then buy another Denon a little bit later just for it, so I got an Onkyo to hold me over. Not a single problem here, nor with my friend that has the same receiver (in silver). Only one way to get experience with something :p

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
J-Rzez said:

really wow! i thought I read an interview where they mention only 5.1. very nice.

Firewire

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Yeah, it made me scratch my head looking at the price too as I was used to Denon's prices. But they didn't have 1.3HDMI unit out at the time, and I didn't want to buy one just for LPCM and then buy another Denon a little bit later just for it, so I got an Onkyo to hold me over. Not a single problem here, nor with my friend that has the same receiver (in silver). Only one way to get experience with something :p

Good to know that its reliable and of good quality, I'm looking for a new system for one of my T.V.'s at my cottage, this should be a good fit & save me a considerable amount of money as well.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
Amy has said that they do want to do episodic content. She said that with the model they're using for Uncharted that they could give you new episodes every 3-6 months instead of having you wait for the sequel. It seems like it's something they're planning but they just don't want to say it in the same way they don't want to say they're working on the new Jak.

You mean like you can download stuff to run within the main game engine? Didn't know Uncharted was a "live aware" upgradable software.

J-Rzez

PistolGrip said:
really wow! i thought I read an interview where they mention only 5.1. very nice.

Trust me, it's in there, and it sounds incredible. This game has the most audio options I've ever seen before (puts a lot of movies to shame). I'm so glad people are taking sound serious on the PS3, one of the area's where it has a more than distinct advantage over the competition hardware-wise.

Top Bottom