• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

wotter

dekking.jpg

muur-1.jpg

kenta

Has no PEINS
Sorry if this has been answered but I'm trying to avoid this thread as much as possible so I don't ruin the game for myself...

I thought I read on IGN that you can disable the tilt crap when throwing grenades, is that still confirmed for the full game? Because I can't seem to find the option in the demo and I sure would like to!

Loudninja

kenta said:
Sorry if this has been answered but I'm trying to avoid this thread as much as possible so I don't ruin the game for myself...

I thought I read on IGN that you can disable the tilt crap when throwing grenades, is that still confirmed for the full game? Because I can't seem to find the option in the demo and I sure would like to!

You do not have to use tilt

quetz67

Banned
TTP said:
Here is some fish to celebrate! (lol)
81i98jr.jpg

Only the big brownish ones cast shadows. I'm pretty sure those are 3D while the other small white fishes are just sprites.
No minifish shadows!? - No sale!

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
kenta said:

No option, just use the right stick:D
I had no idea you could do that for the first 15 times or so that I played the demo!

Evlar

Banned
kenta said:

You can't disable it in the menu, you just aim with the right analog instead.

icechai

The Sphinx said:
You can't disable it in the menu, you just aim with the right analog instead.

but if you do use sixaxis, you can change the range even more WHILE using the right analog :D

I must say, just played the demo for a few hours and it is VERY VERY fun!!! This is coming from someone who never played Gears so the cover system is pretty new to me, but with that said, it really isn't that different than strategies people use in standard FPS like Counter-Strike. What makes this game awesome is the enemy AI, animations, and graphics. I played through the demo tons of different ways and each battle had little nuances that are different! Running through guns blazing doesn't work too well, however if you make great runs while blazing your guns, diving next to a wall, coming out with punches, it is not only thrilling, but the slight chance that you pull it off makes you feel invincible! For those who like sniping, you can also play it safe and just use the cover to pop in and out while occassionally moving to a different part of the battlefield. Of course if you really like playing it safe just stay near a gate and use the wall for cover while the enemies slowly try to come at you. Can't wait to get my hands on the real game now!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm eager to see the IGN review as well. My choice is buying either this or Assassin's Creed. I'm going to rent one and buy the other one. I know that this game will be shorter than AC, but if it's 8-10 hours of quality gameplay with a kick ass story, I'd much rather buy this one. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

dralla

IGN's review is tomorrow. [well, techinically it's today, but you know what I mean]

^I suggest you watch the gametrailers AC review^

Kaako

Felium Defensor
dralla said:
IGN's review is tomorrow. [well, techinically it's today, but you know what I mean]

^I suggest you watch the gametrailers AC review^
I played quite a bit of AC today on my friend's 360 today. Liked the "free running" aspect, but I could see how it would get repetitive because all the main missions are basically the same. Both games look gorgeous though.

VonGak!

Banned
I just hope that it for once won't be about numbers but the actual review (the game reporter is partly responsible too) and that the person who creates the new thread will link to the first page of the review, not the the last page with the score.

Dizzan

MINI Member
VonGak! said:
I just hope that it for once won't be about numbers but the actual review (the game reporter is partly responsible too) and that the person who creates the new thread will link to the first page of the review, not the the last page with the score.

I really hope they don't reveal too much, if any of the story in any of the reviews.

I want the whole experience to be as fresh as possible. I want to be surprised.

VonGak!

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:
I too was slightly disappointed with the UDF water and fishes after MGS3 water and fishes

Just because you can't kill them, they do not fly into the air when grenades explodes and you can't move them between waterholes in Uncharted? ^.^

Dizzan said:
I really hope they don't reveal too much, if any of the story in any of the reviews.

I want the whole experience to be as fresh as possible. I want to be surprised.

Indeed, that would put me on a frenzy. It would be less acceptable than a 5.0 score (yup I'm jinxing the game).

pswii60

I really love the small touches and details in the demo. Like the bird's nest with birds that fly out when you shoot near it. And the audio - listening to it with a decent 5.1 set up or headphones is a dream. A huge variety of jungle sounds that take you by surprise occasionally, rather than the repetitive audio effects of most other games.

VonGak!

Banned
Loudninja said:
LMAO, you know that wall you have to climb down, Drake jump over it and killed himslef :lol

You control Drake's actions, so don't put the blame on him. :p ^.^

EDIT:
pswii60 said:
I really love the small touches and details in the demo. Like the bird's nest with birds that fly out when you shoot near it. And the audio - listening to it with a decent 5.1 set up or headphones is a dream. A huge variety of jungle sounds that take you by surprise occasionally, rather than the repetitive audio effects of most other games.

Now that's the kind of things I want to hear more about.

BTW, cool that you got your ol' avatar back.

deepbrown

this thread is MASSSIIIIVE. So big in fact, that you could fit a heard of elephants, sir fancis' treasure, and all of Drake's love children from bumming the pirates in this thread and still have room for a McDonald's fan club. (plus we've had about three massive Uncharted threads before this...HAWGE!)

pswii60

VonGak! said:
You control Drake's actions, so don't put the blame on him. :p ^.^

EDIT:

Now that's the kind of things I want to hear more about.

BTW, cool that you got your ol' avatar back.

Yeah, I lost my avatar ages ago but managed to find it again in the depths of an old HD.

deepbrown

nelsonroyale said:
with all talk about the graphics, Im surprised nobody talks about the loading...if the final game is like the demo...least loading...ever...its crazy coming off the horrible load times in HS
The demo loading is insane. Skip the cutscene right from the beginning and BOOM. So impressive.

quetz67

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
with all talk about the graphics, Im surprised nobody talks about the loading...if the final game is like the demo...least loading...ever...its crazy coming off the horrible load times in HS
I think the load times in HS were purely to prolong the game experience. At least when restarting in the same level loading it again is completely unnecessary, no developer can really be that incompetent.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
deepbrown said:
The demo loading is insane. Skip the cutscene right from the beginning and BOOM. So impressive.
Ha ha, that's right. I was blown away by that myself as I thought they were hiding the load times behind the cutscene. Nope, it's immediate. I know Gears of War manages to present a fully streamed experience...but it still has startup loadtimes as well as those that occur when you die. This game literally doesn't seem to require any period of loading at all and handles it on the fly. I don't know how the hell they did it.

wotter

PistolGrip said:
Can someone post the full interview. PSU seems to be block by company. Thanks in advance guys.
Here you go my friend:

With Uncharted: Drake's Fortune set to release next week, PSU decided to hit up Naughty Dog for last minuet details on the technology behind the game and what makes Uncharted stand out from other titles on the market.

In our interview, we chat with Christophe Balestra, Co-President of Naughty Dog. The interview will touch base on such topics as the necessity of Blu-ray and the power of the Cell processor. So onto the interview!

PSU: How does the animation system and graphics in Drake's Fortune benefit from the Cell and SPU's?
Christophe Balestra: One of our first goals when we started Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was to push what's been done in animation for video games. We developed a brand new animation system that took full advantage of the SPU's. Nathan Drake's final animation is made of different layers like running, breathing, reloading weapons, shooting, facial expression, etc; we end up decompressing and blending up to 30 animations every frame on the SPU's. And this is just for Nathan Drake; we have a lot more than that when you add the NPC's and enemies.

PSU: The core engine for Drake's Fortune was built from the ground up. How does the engine itself come to utilize and take advantage of the PlayStation 3's core architecture and features?
Balestra: The main thing about the PlayStation 3 is the Cell processor and more specifically the SPU's. We are only using 30 percent of the power of the SPU's in Uncharted. We've been architecting a lot of our systems around this and we were able to take full advantage of that power. A big part of our systems is running on SPU's: scene bucketing, particles, physics, collision, animation, water simulation, mesh processing, path finding, etc. For our engine, the cool thing about having the SPU's is the fact we can minimize what we send to the RSX (the graphic chip), it allows us to reject unnecessary information and get the RSX to be very efficient.

PSU: Are there any specific elements, aside from graphics and animations, which could not be done on any other platforms or been a huge difficulty in accomplishing?
Balestra: One of the things I really like about the PlayStation 3 is the combination of the Blu-ray and the hard drive. Without the Blu-ray the game wouldn't have fit on a disc, for example the audio for the different languages won't fit on a DVD. We're only using the hard drive as a cache, the game doesn't need to be installed, but the fact the hard drive is on every PlayStation 3 helped our streaming technology dramatically.

We are constantly streaming animations, level data, textures, music and sounds. It would have been impossible to get this amount of data at that speed to memory without the hard drive. And of course on top of that we use the SPU's to decompress all this data on the fly.

PSU: What are some things Naughty Dog has planned for PlayStation Home?

Balestra: I can't give you specifics about our plans, but I can tell you that we are looking forward to working with the team to bring Uncharted to Home.

PSU: Any plans to introduce downloadable content in Uncharted Drake's Fortune?
Balestra: No, there is no plan as of today.

PSU: When looking at the size of games, are you happy that Sony provided Blu-ray built in with PlayStation 3? And to tag along with that, how big in Gigabytes is Uncharted currently standing at?

Balestra: As I said earlier, we couldn't have done Uncharted without the Blu-ray, at least at the quality we wanted to make it. To get such high-resolution textures and movies, a Blu-ray was indispensable to achieve the graphic quality of Uncharted. We fill the disc at 91 percent and it's optimized, meaning we don't duplicate any data. That includes all our game data, sounds, 7 spoken languages and 102 minutes of movie.

Talking about movies, I wanted to mention they are pre-render using our engine on the PlayStation 3. The only reason we did this was to eliminate any loading time before or after a movie and make our memory management easier.

PSU: Now that you are finished with Uncharted, what's next on Naughty Dog's plate?
Balestra: VACATION!!

PSU.com would like to thank Christophe for the interview, and keep in mind - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune releases November 20. Stay tuned for our review. This is a title you definitely won't want to miss!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PSU: Any plans to introduce downloadable content in Uncharted Drake's Fortune?
Balestra: No, there is no plan as of today.

A missed opportunity IMO. This would have been perfect for episodic content.
Same goes with Ratchet & Clank: Future.

Oh well, at least Folklore does that to some degree.

quetz67

Banned
wotter said:
PSU: Now that you are finished with Uncharted, what's next on Naughty Dog's plate?
Balestra: VACATION!!
Dont they feel any responsibilty for their customers? they could as well work on DLC or on their next game :p

TTP said:
A missed opportunity IMO. This would have been perfect for episodic content.
Same goes with Ratchet & Clank: Future.

Oh well, at least Folklore does that to some degree.

Amy has said that they do want to do episodic content. She said that with the model they're using for Uncharted that they could give you new episodes every 3-6 months instead of having you wait for the sequel. It seems like it's something they're planning but they just don't want to say it in the same way they don't want to say they're working on the new Jak.

pswii60

quetz67 said:
Dont they feel any responsibilty for their customers? they could as well work on DLC or on their next game :p

It would be awesome if Naughty Dog could do an Insomniac, and release Jak & Daxter next year and Uncharted 2 the year after, as so on. But I'm probably just dreaming.

spwolf

quetz67 said:
I think the load times in HS were purely to prolong the game experience. At least when restarting in the same level loading it again is completely unnecessary, no developer can really be that incompetent.

no its not... unlike most games, Uncharted steams everything so there is no need to load anything... just check games like HS, ME or Oblivion, they all have long, frequent load times.

This is definetly not mentioned enough, but I am sure that if it had 5 second loads, it would be blasted for it, unlike some other games.

Top Bottom