• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm happy to say I've done a complete 180 on the Uncharted demo. I pretty much love it now.

And to think I actually had taken it off my to-buy list after a first playthrough...

One little question, maybe it deserves its own thread:

Do you guys DNie? For some reason, I really like the way the textures pop with it enabled, but don't care for the harsher, jaggier look. Then when I turn it off, the picture appears flat and a little foggy. I'm driving myself nuts fiddling with it!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
sprocket said:
I only have 6.1 set up but hearing through dts is just incredible. If no review mentions that. then they fail!
Demo had DTS support? Does it activate by default or do you have to disable DD5.1 like in resistance?

pswii60

Mifune said:
I'm happy to say I've done a complete 180 on the Uncharted demo. I pretty much love it now.

And to think I actually had taken it off my to-buy list after a first playthrough...

One little question, maybe it deserves its own thread:

Do you guys DNie? For some reason, I really like the way the textures pop with it enabled, but don't care for the harsher, jaggier look. Then when I turn it off, the picture appears flat and a little foggy. I'm driving myself nuts fiddling with it!

I was the same. I wasn't a big fan of it at first, but after playing through it again FOUR more times, I frickin' love it. Production values through the roof.

Fortunately and unfortunately my gf is getting me this for Christmas, so a long wait until 25th December.

Kuran

Banned
The demo changed my mind about this game completely, I really want it now!

I wish I made the official Uncharted demo thread... it would've been called "Uncharted: Demo's Fortune"

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
So now that Assasin's Creed is getting ass raped by game media reviews, Uncharted may very well get that boost it needs from Action Aventure lovers.

Dragon

Banned
PistolGrip said:
So now that Assasin's Creed is getting ass raped by game media reviews, Uncharted may very well get that boost it needs from Action Aventure lovers.

I fear that it will suffer similarly. Although it is only on the PS3 so it may help a bit.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
PistolGrip said:

Or it could spell it's doom!

I don't care, this game is locked up sold for me even if everyone gives it a 0/10. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the game gets panned. Especially by those who think Gears of War invented this type of gunplay and think it's a mere copy.

deepbrown

TheBranca18 said:
Just because this is probably going to be the best exclusive out for the PS3. Yeah I think it'll help.
in sales or reviews?
ruliweb_un_36_ps3.jpg

ps. you won't get a screen of a movie looking that good in modern movies...that is a sharp foreground, sharp middle, and sharp background. )

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
TheBranca18 said:
I fear that it will suffer similarly. Although it is only on the PS3 so it may help a bit.
It will help sales within the PS3 base but definitely not reviews. Reviewers always feel every PS3 game must justify the price of the whole system for some reason. This will change with time but they still have that mentality.

By the sounds of it, it looks like Uncharted might of taking the thunder from Assasins Creed and reviewers are comparing both titles. Uncharted for sure coming out on top according to the comments made by most publications.

Dante

Yeah Uncharted definetly gets better the more you play it like MGS, glad to see some more people jumping on board after multiple play throughs.

Holtz

Dante said:
Yeah Uncharted definetly gets better the more you play it like MGS, glad to see some more people jumping on board after multiple play throughs.
Indeed. I played over a dozen times on all difficulties and it doesn't get old. :D
I don't care about the reviews for this one, they can slam it if they want, i'm buying it.

Basch

Just thought I would let you guys know, I got the first issue of PlayStation: The Official Magazine. As to not get everyone too excited, I will say it now. There is no Uncharted: Drake's Fortune review score in the magazine. However, there is a new ad. I will scan it if there is that much demand. But really, I wanted someone to create a new topic for the magazine because I cannot. There are previews for Haze, Secret Agent Clank, Yakuza 2 (yes, it sounds like it will be coming to the PS2: TBA 2008), Saboteur, a Golden Axe game for PS3, a huge cover story on Gran Turismo 5 and Prologue, a holidays buyer's guide, reviews (in which they incorporate a new system of a five star basis), and a PlayStation Network Section with reviews, tips, and inside info on upcoming downloads. Excited? :D Someone create a topic.

Oh yeah, one last thing. K-Mart has a good offer where you can get 20% off the highest priced item you purchase. The offer is only valid via coupon. The coupon can be found in a flyer in the pharmacutical department with title/headline of "Help during the Cold and Flu season". The cover shows a mother and a child with a K-Mart Pharmacist. If you cannot find the pamphlet, ask at the desk. Inside there is two coupons. They both are the same 20% off coupon, but they have different amounts of time for each. One works for this week; the other for next week. Time to pick up my PS3. Now I just need to decide whether if I should put it away until Christmas to get the full experience with the rest of the games and controllers or not. I don't know what to think. :lol

J-Rzez

deepbrown said:

ps. you won't get a screen of a movie looking that good in modern movies...that is a sharp foreground, sharp middle, and sharp background. )[/QUOTE]

Easily the most impressive looking and sounding game so far this gen. If the story is as good as expected, I don't doubt this game will be the new measuring stick of overall quality and package that this gen has seen to date.

What sucks is for other devs though, as when people see and play this, the "lazy dev" lingo is going to be thrown around more than ever.

The Chef

Marconelly said:
Here's an updated (and probably final) version of the countdown:

I've realized that it looked pretty bad fullscreen due to stretching, and also kinda weird with black border around in unstretched mode, so this version fixes that. Fullscreen will now have this border + map behind, and unstretched version will only have the border (unfortunatelly, it's a limitation of the screensaver making software I'm using)

If you want both (map behind + unstretched) you can run the plain .exe version and press CTRL+F which will switch it's view to full screen/unstretched mode.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FZP0YFW5

Wow that is extremely well done. Thanks for the new version

Basch

Got another tidbit from the magazine. Sony has or will be making available wallpapers for Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune through the PlayStation Store in Standard Definition, High Definition, and 1080 HD for free. Throughout the month, more will become available for other games as well. Tekken 2 and Syphon Filter, each for $5.99, should be up on the PlayStation Store for download this month. As well as that, a couple add-ons will be making their appearances on the PSN. The Castro Capitano add-on for Motorstorm, selling for $0.99, will allow you to use one new vehicle. And to get the most out of your buck, Ninja Gaiden Sigma will sport a download for $2.99 that will give you five new survival modes that will be covered by the World Ranking System.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Basch said:
Got another tidbit from the magazine. Sony has or will be making available wallpapers for Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune through the PlayStation Store in Standard Definition, High Definition, and 1080 HD. Throughout the month, more will become available for other games as well. Tekken 2 and Syphon Filter, each for $5.99, should be up on the PlayStation Store for download this month. As well as that, a couple add-ons will be making their appearances on the PSN. The Castro Capitano add-on for Motorstorm, selling for $0.99, will allow you to use one new vehicle. And to get the most out of your buck, Ninja Gaiden Sigma will sport a download for $2.99 that will give you five new survival modes that will be covered by the World Ranking System.

wat?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Throughout the month, more will become available for other games as well. Tekken 2 and Syphon Filter, each for $5.99, should be up on the PlayStation Store for download this month
not sure I understand the post :\ but it better not be 5.99 for wallpapers!! That's the price of the PS1 download games.

Basch

TheBranca18 said:
I think that stuff is old. I remember Motorstorm already releasing that, no?

No idea. I heard about the new track that will come out later but not this. Thought it was new. Always worth a try. :D

Seriously though, can someone please create a topic for the magazine?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
PistolGrip said:
not sure I understand the post :\ but it better not be 5.99 for wallpapers!! That's the price of the PS1 download games.

I think it says Tekken 2 and Syphon Filter [both PS1 games] will be available on PSN for $5.99.

VonGak!

Banned
pswii60 said:
I was the same. I wasn't a big fan of it at first, but after playing through it again FOUR more times, I frickin' love it. Production values through the roof.

Fortunately and unfortunately my gf is getting me this for Christmas, so a long wait until 25th December.
Do like all men and get a copy on the side ^.^

Wollan

The price is for the PSOne games. Wallpapers are free.

Anyways, screw Tekken, if you live in EU both Colony Wars and G-Police releases this month *jizz*

Basch

PistolGrip said:

No, no, no. The wallpapers are free. Sorry about that. I thought it was pretty clear. I will edit it so it makes more sense.

Dizzan

MINI Member
With the AC reviews being..... mediocre at best, I'm putting a lot of pressure on you, Uncharted. From the demo, I can't get enough, let's just hope the whole game is as gripping and enjoyable.

Jim

reilo said:
I think it says Tekken 2 and Syphon Filter [both PS1 games] will be available on PSN for $5.99.

Uhhh... this is ancient. I mean Tekken 2/SF were one f the first PS1 games on the store, and the rest have been up there for a while. What month is this from? It's reeeallly old.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Jim said:
Uhhh... this is ancient. I mean Tekken 2/SF were one f the first PS1 games on the store, and the rest have been up there for a while. What month is this from? It's reeeallly old.

Really? I haven't kept up with the PS1 games on PSN. Maybe this is for Europe? Do they have it on PSN?

Loudninja

Dizzan said:
With the AC reviews being..... mediocre at best, I'm putting a lot of pressure on you, Uncharted. From the demo, I can't get enough, let's just hope the whole game is as gripping and enjoyable.

I am still getting AC ,reviews dont scare me away like some people

Basch

Jim said:

This month. :D Blame, PlayStation: The Official Magazine! :lol

Dizzan

MINI Member
Loudninja said:
I am still getting AC ,reviews dont scare me away like some people

Me also :D

But I am disappointed about the framerate issues. They never used to bother me but Some games have really pissed me off and they ruin the gameplay (I'm looking at you Pro Evo 08).

Thankfully I haven't noticed framerate issues in the Uncharted Demo and the tearing is so minor, it doesn't bother me at all.

Wollan

Eye of Judgment is the one of the purest reviewed games out there. Almost everyone gave it 8 clean. Will Uncharted do the same for 8.5?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
tribal24 said:
confirmed 8.5 from 1up i bet the reviewers were the obvouis>.>
True, although I was expecting a bit more from them, as they said they thought the game was better than R&C. Different people might have reviewed it from those on podcast though.

careksims

I was at GS and bought SMG and then I remembered how much fun I had with the UC demo. I was on the fence before and now - PRE-ORDERED! Mass Effect and Uncharted on the same day with SMG today makes November a very orgasmic time for gamers.

spwolf

Wollan said:
Eye of Judgment is the one of the purest reviewed games out there. Almost everyone gave it 8 clean. Will Uncharted do the same for 8.5?

hey, it could have been 5... you never know!

YYZ

Anyone surprised it didn't get over a 9? It's not really 9 material if you know what I mean. It is however a technical masterpiece built around some solid gameplay and storytelling (something that Lair is missing). If it gets 85 on gamerankings then that's very solid.

tribal24

Banned
YYZ said:
Anyone surprised it didn't get over a 9? It's not really 9 material if you know what I mean. It is however a technical masterpiece built around some solid gameplay and storytelling (something that Lair is missing). If it gets 85 on gamerankings then that's very solid.

no one is surprized really its on ps3 -_-

Loudninja

YYZ said:
No I dont know what you mean

Dragon

Banned
YYZ said:

I'm not sure what you mean. What's not 9 about it?

Presentation?
Story?
Graphics?

The only thing people have questioned is the gameplay. I know people haven't liked the amount of shooting that supposedly is done throughout the game.

Holtz

YYZ said:
Sorry, what? What about it is not a 9? Fucking review scores.

Top Bottom