• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

tanod

when is my burrito
YYZ said:
Anyone surprised it didn't get over a 9? It's not really 9 material if you know what I mean. It is however a technical masterpiece built around some solid gameplay and storytelling (something that Lair is missing). If it gets 85 on gamerankings then that's very solid.

You just have to take 1UP's scale into account. 5 is average instead of 7.5 like every other site.

1UP's score of 8.5 is basically the equivalent of 9.25 everywhere else. Half of the difference between the score and 10.

CAVE343

Wollan said:
Eye of Judgment is the one of the purest reviewed games out there. Almost everyone gave it 8 clean. Will Uncharted do the same for 8.5?

EoJ rocks :)
But when I first played the Uncharted demo I thought, ok I'm not buying this game. But after a few playthroughs the game somehow got very addictive. I love it how he ducks when shot at. Buying for sure!

freezo

YYZ said:
Anyone surprised it didn't get over a 9? It's not really 9 material if you know what I mean. It is however a technical masterpiece built around some solid gameplay and storytelling (something that Lair is missing). If it gets 85 on gamerankings then that's very solid.

i will not read any review thats under a 9 for this game good day sir

calder said:
I can easily imagine a 4 for Uncharted from Edge. Their preview was... chilling. :lol And there's the honour of Ms. Croft to uphold.

They gave ZOE2 a 4, so yeah nothing they give it will be a surprise.

Laurent

Hey, it would be nice if this game be kept in his own thread, as oppose to the Assassin's Creed festival that NeoGAF as now become...

...just a thought...

Dragon

Banned
Laurent said:
Hey, it would be nice if this game be kept in his own thread, as oppose to the Assassin's Creed festival that NeoGAF as now become...

...just a thought...

What are you talking about? There's this one gigantic thread, where else is this being talked about (besides the EGM topic)?

tanod said:
You just have to take 1UP's scale into account. 5 is average instead of 7.5 like every other site.

1UP's score of 8.5 is basically the equivalent of 9.25 everywhere else. Half of the difference between the score and 10.
Yeah plus minus 1 whole point for no multi-player (nevermind bioshock) and possible minus .5 for the price since it's SP only.

:p

Laurent

TheBranca18 said:
What are you talking about? There's this one gigantic thread, where else is this being talked about (besides the EGM topic)?
I was doing PREVENTION... You know, like a firefighter...

deepbrown said:
ruliweb_un_36_ps3.jpg

OMG at the stone texture !!!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Well I guess most of us predicted this. Uncharted will be bashed by many. Personally its taking gaming to a new level for me. The acting, the production value, the animation, the graphics are beyond anything I have seen this generation. All they need to do is keep it a steedy gaming experience and I think I can honestly say its my game of the year.

PS3 games have been giving a much harder time but hopefully this all balances out as reviewers start to get PS3s in their homes and has less recentment against the console.

tanod said:

I hope this is a joke. People always tend to bring this up for certain sites/magazines like they somehow have some superior taste in gaming compared to other sites/magazines. Just because some places want to act as if they're elitists doesn't make their opinion anymore valuable than another place.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
tanod said:

not when you take into account their other scores then that scale goes to hell even in the same magazine issue.

tanod

when is my burrito
PistolGrip said:
not when you take into account their other bullshit scores then that scale goes to hell.

I'm talking about their published review scale descriptions. Not some imaginary biased bullshit. It's called "People have different tastes. Stop the damn 'TEH BIAS' whining." That shit is annoying.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
tanod said:
I'm talking about their published review scale descriptions. Not some imaginary biased bullshit. It's called "People have different tastes. Stop the damn 'TEH BIAS' whining." That shit is annoying.
no bias whining here. Just pointing out that there are different standards for all systems. PS2 and Wii games for example get mostly free passes in graphics and multiplayer functionality.

tanod

when is my burrito
PistolGrip said:
no bias whining here. Just pointing out that there are different standards for all systems. PS2 and Wii games for example get mostly free passes in graphics and multiplayer functionality.

I'm not sure how 1UP in particular works in relation to multi-platform reviews (usually they're all the same) but at IGN and Gamespot, their official review policy is that each score and review of a game is evaluated relative to the other games of the system it's on.

They're not meant to be comparable cross-platform. So GT5: Prologue may end up being a 9 in graphics at IGN but if it was a 360 game, it might have received a 10. It's not bias. That's just their review policy.

Basch

tanod said:

Everyone has their own personality. People will tend to prefer magazines with people who share common characteristics. Saying someone is biased is the equivalent of saying their opinion means nothing because the reviewers' individual traits do not align with their own. Once you get hundreds of comments like these, you should begin to wonder if you are truly writing for your audience. If the magazine does not write for the audience, then they are not performing their jobs. The readers have a right to call others out for biased acts. Whether it is true or not, we may never know. Meanwhile, the customer can unsubscribe: like me. :D

P.S. I actually think the quality of Electronic Gaming Monthly is pretty poor. I, myself, prefer how Game Informer writes their articles. I do think they are pretty well done. PSM is also a favorite of mine. Now it has become PlayStation: The Official Magazine. And from what I have read so far, it is so much better. Unbelievably, so! That's just my opinion though, which is only good if you wanted to know more about me. Otherwise, this last paragraph was a complete waste of your time. :D

VonGak!

Banned
tanod said:
I'm not sure how 1UP in particular works in relation to multi-platform reviews (usually they're all the same) but at IGN and Gamespot, their official review policy is that each score and review of a game is evaluated relative to the other games of the system it's on.

They're not meant to be comparable cross-platform. So GT5: Prologue may end up being a 9 in graphics at IGN but if it was a 360 game, it might have received a 10. It's not bias. That's just their review policy.
Nonono, now you are seriously overestimating the professionalism of game reporters :lol

Trust me, there's IGN, Gamespot and 1UP reporters who will cry their hearts out if you say the PS3 is technically superior, they do still firmly hope that eDRAM is true next gen with FREE AA and not a way to save money on production costs like it was on the PS2 and they'll throw out old references to CELL not being able to run general purpose code found in games.

Honestly I'm not joking when I say I think GameSpot will just wail on uncharted for any number of reasons. It really seems like they are just trying to get attention lately. That AC score, no, the actual review is nuts to me. AC has to be the only game that doesn't get dinged lately for no multiplayer. Not trying to bitch in advance "how dare they!!!', but doesn't it feel like someone should else in the industry should step in and tell them they have toilet paper stuck to their shoe? Everyone else in the room is staring.

Zen said:
WHAT KIND OF DISPLAY ARE YOU USING I'M GOING OUT AND BUYING THAT ONE.

Dont know what he is running but thats exactly what it looks like on my 1080p Sharp Aquos.
My brother also has a brand new LG that looks just as good. And of course you cant go wrong with a Bravia.

So I unticked 720p from my display settings leaving only 1080p and the image quality has significantly increased. There is however; a lot more screen tearing now. :/

But as far as gameplay itself is concerned I've completely gotten the hang of the controls, max sensitivity is where it's at. Melee kills are fun as hell, and as much as I can't stand the concept of the fucking AK taking more shots to kill a dude than the pistol I've come to realize that it's proper usage is in free-aim/run&gun as opposed to holding down L1, it's extremely effective that way.

Basch

VonGak! said:
Nonono, now you are seriously overestimating the professionalism of game reporters :lol

Trust me, there's IGN, Gamespot and 1UP reporters who will cry their hearts out if you say the PS3 is technically superior, they do still firmly hope that eDRAM is true next gen with FREE AA and not a way to save money on production costs like it was on the PS2 and they'll throw out old references to CELL not being able to run general purpose code found in games.

Wait, you mean to tell me there are still people who won't accept the fact that performance-wise the PS3 is technically superior than the Xbox 360. Now that's something to laugh at. :lol I always wondered why a lot of games on the 360 were hailed for some of the best graphics this generation has ever seen while comments like these on PS3 games are few and far between.
Poor Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

im expecting 9.3 from IGN, and 8.7 TOPS from GS (but knowing GS, it'll likely end up low 8)
looks like sony has a winner on their hands....now all that remains is viral marketing that should've started weeks ago for this game, i mean ads for Uncharted by itself, not in the ps3 tv montages

tanod

when is my burrito
VonGak! said:

Don't care. That's their policy. If reviewers aren't following policy, then the blame falls with the reviews editor.

someone in another game forum who had completed the game and said it was 50% combat and 50% platform adventuring.......sounds like a good balance imo

Dragon

Banned
frAntic_Frog said:
im expecting 9.3 from IGN, and 8.7 TOPS from GS (but knowing GS, it'll likely end up low 8)
looks like sony has a winner on their hands....now all that remains is viral marketing that should've started weeks ago for this game, i mean ads for Uncharted by itself, not in the ps3 tv montages

GS reviews in .5 increments, I believe.

Basch

frAntic_Frog said:

Gamespot has converted their review system to .5 increments. So your prediction would be in line more with 8.5-9.0.

Anybody know what time the IGN review drops?

Someone in the EGM thread posted that it would be up tonight according to the latest Beyond Podcast (or is it B3YOND :D ).

frAntic_Frog said:
someone in another game forum who had completed the game and said it was 50% combat and 50% platform adventuring.......sounds like a good balance imo
Really, that has far more platforming then I thought. I thought I had heard 70% to s0% shooting. Either way i'm up for it. Honestly, from Uncharted 50-50 sounds better to me. I love the gun combat, but i don't really want this to be a shooter.

sprocket

Banned
frAntic_Frog said:

RaC did better than what you predict. :/ so doesn't that make 2 winners? + cod4.

3! ah ah 3 winners! ~ the count

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
tanod said:
Yes it is. If you're gonna read and talk about reviews, you should actually know what their scale means.

FACT: 5 is average at 1UP and EGM

I know what their scale says, and I know that is just doesn't apply. Perception is pretty much reality when people just disregard anything below an 8.

6.5 is still "average" on their scale. 5.0-6.5 is "average" 7.0-8.5 is "good" and anything above is "excellent".

I wonder why they even bother with numbers since there's a nice range of scores but still qualify as "good". I mean, there's a nice bit of difference between a 7 and a 8.5, but both are still "good." Just use "Terrible" "Bad" "Average" "Good" "Excellent" and I can promise you more people would actually read their reviews instead of looking at the scores and problems people have with them would go away.

Kintaro said:
I wonder why they even bother with numbers since there's a nice range of scores but still qualify as "good". I mean, there's a nice bit of difference between a 7 and a 8.5, but both are still "good." Just use "Terrible" "Bad" "Average" "Good" "Excellent" and I can promise you more people would actually read their reviews instead of looking at the scores and problems people have with them would go away.

From your lips to God's ears, my friend.

steve

Banned
Those shots detailing the textures are some of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a game, doesn't matter which platform you're talking about, those are stellar.

Dragon

Banned
Kintaro said:
I know what their scale says, and I know that is just doesn't apply. Perception is pretty much reality when people just disregard anything below an 8.

6.5 is still "average" on their scale. 5.0-6.5 is "average" 7.0-8.5 is "good" and anything above is "excellent".

Don't worry, they'd gamerankings would still do a 0 25 50 75 100% comparisons with those anyway. I do wish people would read the text though and not worry so much about the actual numbers.

spwolf

from the EGM thread:

Soul4ger said:
Uncharted
Pros: Gunplay, acrobatics, charming characters
Cons: Not much original, lame puzzles

PS3 GOTY Confirmed.

If "lame"/easy? puzzles and "unoriginal" (ehm) is best they could muster, this will rock based on the demo. I thought it might have had some game-breaking issue since presentation, graphics and gameplay are out of this world, for it to score 8.5...

Top Bottom