• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

VonGak!

Banned
Kintaro said:
I know what their scale says, and I know that is just doesn't apply. Perception is pretty much reality when people just disregard anything below an 8.

6.5 is still "average" on their scale. 5.0-6.5 is "average" 7.0-8.5 is "good" and anything above is "excellent".

I wonder why they even bother with numbers since there's a nice range of scores but still qualify as "good". I mean, there's a nice bit of difference between a 7 and a 8.5, but both are still "good." Just use "Terrible" "Bad" "Average" "Good" "Excellent" and I can promise you more people would actually read their reviews instead of looking at the scores and problems people have with them would go away.

I hate the whole numbers thing, they should instead divide games in categories.

Then we would also avoid game vs game based on decimals.

VonGak! said:
I hate the whole numbers thing, they should instead divide games in categories.

Then we would also avoid game vs game based on decimals.
What, somthing like: "own forever", "own", "rent", "borrow", "clay pigeon"

That way a great game is a great game and we don't have to have a gaming BCS discussion every day.

Snah

Banned
Firewire said:
8.5's aren't that bad at all.

That's what Ratchet got...on average.

It's not bad, but I don't think it's indicative at all.

I seriously think EGM/1up has a bias against games that don't have multiplayer. What did Gears of War get on EGM/1up last year? Notwithstanding the fact that the multiplayer was tacked on and almost unplayable due to terrible netcode?

Uncharted will be a more solid single player game than Gears, with none of the unnecessary fuss of a tacked on multiplayer mode. Yet, it will score less. That's sad, IMHO.

That being said, I expect IGN to score Uncharted much more favorably than EGM/1up.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Snah said:

I seriously think EGM/1up has a bias against games that don't have multiplayer. What did Gears of War get on EGM/1up last year? Notwithstanding the fact that the multiplayer was tacked on and almost unplayable due to terrible netcode?

Uncharted will be a more solid single player game than Gears, with none of the unnecessary fuss of a tacked on multiplayer mode. Yet, it will score less. That's sad, IMHO.

That being said, I expect IGN to score Uncharted much more favorably than EGM/1up.

10/10...

Reviewed by... do I even have to say who?

You can always find reasons not to give a game a review score of 10. Control issues (Gears of War has that). A.I. problems (that, too). Bad dialogue or storytelling (yes on both). Linear levels, online lag, limited modes (yup, yup, and yup). But as I was playing through the game, I found one consistently good feature: It was constantly impressing the hell out of me.

steve

Banned
I want to know why crappy Mario gets a sticky and yet neither ToD or Uncharted get similar treatment.

Gaf/Wii bias confirmed?

j/k of course. Kinda. :p

reilo

steve said:
I want to know why crappy Mario gets a sticky and yet neither ToD or Uncharted get similar treatment.

Gaf/Wii bias confirmed?

j/k of course. Kinda. :p

7,000+ posts required, I believe. Almost there.

Snah said:

Ratchet got an average of 9. And as far as I can tell, Uncharted was criticized for not doing much of anything new. I figured they would have criticized it for its lack of MP, but hey.

Snah

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Ratchet got an average of 9. And as far as I can tell, Uncharted was criticized for not doing much of anything new. I figured they would have criticized it for its lack of MP, but hey.

If that's the case, then why did Halo 3 get 10s ? What exactly did it do that was so new? It has some neat features, but the gameplay and multiplayer itself are exactly the same as the previous two titles.

kevm3

Snah said:
If that's the case, then why did Halo 3 get 10s ? What exactly did it do that was so new? It has some neat features, but the gameplay and multiplayer itself are exactly the same as the previous two titles.

The fact that it is a Halo game on the 360 is something that never was done before, so that's something new.

spwolf

Snah said:

who cares man, who cares...

VonGak!

Banned
BobTheFork said:
What, somthing like: "own forever", "own", "rent", "borrow", "clay pigeon"

That way a great game is a great game and we don't have to have a gaming BCS discussion every day.

Yup ^.^

AltogetherAndrews said:

Andrews your not digging on the game Im shocked but I guess to each his own.

cicatriz

In a fall season with so many amazing games coming out, it's nice to have one that is a for sure thing.

I will definitely be picking up Uncharted.

:D

BruceLeeRoy said:
Andrews your not digging on the game Im shocked but I guess to each his own.

We'll see, I've only given the demo one shot and that was right after playing Gears so I might have been in the wrong mood. I'll give the full game a chance, if for no other reason than that pulp adventure action rocks ass.

Dizzan

MINI Member
AltogetherAndrews said:
We'll see, I've only given the demo one shot and that was right after playing Gears so I might have been in the wrong mood. I'll give the full game a chance, if for no other reason than that pulp adventure action rocks ass.

I felt the same after the first play through. But after 4 or 5 it really became addictive. I can't wait for the full game.

Okay..how do a phrase this?

Let'se see. Me and a friend were hanging out yesterday, and I started playing Uncharted, and he commented on how dull the lighting was. I was a bit shocked, to say the least...because I think it's wonderful. Anyway, he continues to talk about how great Halo 3's lighting was...so later on I popped the game in, figured hey, 1st mission is in a jungle great spot for comparisons.

So...at the end of it...I didn't agree. While Halo 3 had a great range of lighting, it felt like all too often that bloom was added to compensate for the lack of a top range bright light source. It's ultimately noticeable that the trees cast no moving shadows...even though they move. Does this mean that the lighting is 'static' as well as the shadows?

Either way, if anyone else could chime in. I do think uncharted is a bit 'dreary' though, but it seems the lighting is coming from a light source, rather than a comination of static shadows and lots of bloom. Confirm?

G-Bus

Banned
hype hype hype hype hype.

with AC out of the way this is all i have to look forward to at the moment. I think this is the only game where i don't care what reviewers think or the score it gets. It's full of win in my book.

steve

Banned
I definitely enjoyed the demo the more I played it. So many little nuances that I didn't pick up on during my first run.

Mifune

Mehmber
Dizzan said:
I felt the same after the first play through. But after 4 or 5 it really became addictive. I can't wait for the full game.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel. AA should give the demo another spin.

steve

Banned
jeremy_ricci said:

Let'se see. Me and a friend were hanging out yesterday, and I started playing Uncharted, and he commented on how dull the lighting was. I was a bit shocked, to say the least...because I think it's wonderful. Anyway, he continues to talk about how great Halo 3's lighting was...so later on I popped the game in, figured hey, 1st mission is in a jungle great spot for comparisons.

So...at the end of it...I didn't agree. While Halo 3 had a great range of lighting, it felt like all too often that bloom was added to compensate for the lack of a top range bright light source. It's ultimately noticeable that the trees cast no moving shadows...even though they move. Does this mean that the lighting is 'static' as well as the shadows?

Either way, if anyone else could chime in. I do think uncharted is a bit 'dreary' though, but it seems the lighting is coming from a light source, rather than a comination of static shadows and lots of bloom. Confirm?
If the lighting was dynamic, the trees would cast a shadow, and if you walk into said shadow, it would then be cast upon you, as it does in Uncharted.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
tanod said:
I'm not sure how 1UP in particular works in relation to multi-platform reviews (usually they're all the same) but at IGN and Gamespot, their official review policy is that each score and review of a game is evaluated relative to the other games of the system it's on.

They're not meant to be comparable cross-platform. So GT5: Prologue may end up being a 9 in graphics at IGN but if it was a 360 game, it might have received a 10. It's not bias. That's just their review policy.
well thats exactly the problem. There are different standards :(

jeremy_ricci said:

Don't worry Naughty Dog has got this covered and has "next-gen" mode to unluck, full of overblown contrast and bloom lighting for your friend!

Madman

AltogetherAndrews said:
We'll see, I've only given the demo one shot and that was right after playing Gears...
One of the things I picked up from the demo is that the comparisons with Gears, Tomb Raider, ect, were very off. Uncharted is vastly different in presentation and play style.

Personally, I love it more every time I play. I really understand the close combat system now, where before I would just spam square. I can't wait to play the full game.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Snah said:

Gears got a 10 no?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Loudninja said:
Why did they not add graphics as a pro?

Maybe it is something that is hard to admit. When Gears came out everyone was gushing over the graphics, it seems a lot of people here thought the same would be done with Uncharted and were disappointed.

As for me, I am going to wonder what awful things gamepot and ign can come up with for Uncharted.

I'm starting to doubt even Gran Turismo 5 and Metal Gear Soild 4 will impress these websites, especially 1up.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ANYWAYS...

8.5s is hot shit. Whatever. If you are in this thread and have followed it for awhile, we know what we are getting and what we're going to get is going to be AWESOME. Awesome characters full of personality, awesome environments with lush, gorgeous graphics, kick ass gameplay with AI that puts up a good fight (and then murders you on Crushed), and probably a pretty good video game story to wrap it all up.

YOU HEAR ME? AWESOME DAMMIT! :D

Kittonwy

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Honestly I'm not joking when I say I think GameSpot will just wail on uncharted for any number of reasons. It really seems like they are just trying to get attention lately. That AC score, no, the actual review is nuts to me. AC has to be the only game that doesn't get dinged lately for no multiplayer. Not trying to bitch in advance "how dare they!!!', but doesn't it feel like someone should else in the industry should step in and tell them they have toilet paper stuck to their shoe? Everyone else in the room is staring.

I found it extremely surprising that AC scored so high on gamespot when BOTH 1UP AND IGN scored it so low, it's really strange. Used to be I can kind of ballpark Gamespot reviews after reading the site and posting for so damn long but nowadays it's just a crapshoot.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kintaro said:
ANYWAYS...

8.5s is hot shit. Whatever. If you are in this thread and have followed it for awhile, we know what we are getting and what we're going to get is going to be AWESOME.

YOU HEAR ME? AWESOME DAMMIT! :D

Same thing was said about Heaven Sword and Ratchet. I have these games and I loved both of them. With that said, these topics seem to fall into the same boat here.

deepbrown said:
So not as good as HS?

Come on deep dont start that shite.
I suggest you read the new sticky on the main page as well.

3 8.5's from EGM is fricken awesome there reviews have been all over the place as of late its awesome to see the game being consistently loved by everyone that grabs it thats much more assuring to me than a 9,7.5,8 score.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Loudninja said:
Why did they not add graphics as a pro?

Why did they not add first proper use of sixaxis as a pro?

Kittonwy said:
Same 1UP score as Ratchet, a really polished game which I loved.

Indeed....indeeeeeed. Although i could care less about reviews....I was sold on the game from the start but then the demo blew my Fing mind.

Loudninja

neojubei said:
Maybe it is something that is hard to admit. When Gears came out everyone was gushing over the graphics, it seems a lot of people here thought the same would be done with Uncharted and were disappointed.

As for me, I am going to wonder what awful things gamepot and ign can come up with for Uncharted.

I'm starting to doubt even Gran Turismo 5 and Metal Gear Soild 4 will impress these websites, especially 1up.

Lol yeah, its wierd they did not add it

reilo

[CFD] El Capitan said:
Why did they not add first proper use of sixaxis as a pro?

Folklore [from what I played in the demo] had a pretty good, and unique use for the SixAxis.

Top Bottom