• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

[CFD] El Capitan said:
Why did they not add first proper use of sixaxis as a pro?

Indeed....indeeeeeed. Although i could care less about reviews....I was sold on the game from the start but then the demo blew my Fing mind.

Rachet uses the Sixaxis very well

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
SONY should really start to court journalist. Give them Free stuff, they love that shit. Make them feel important!!! When was the last time you let some reviewers have a few system or something like that.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
AltogetherAndrews said:
Any usage of sixaxis is poor usage of sixaxis. To the pits of hell with this abomination and let us never talk of it again.

Like a Phoenix rising the Sixaxis has emerged in Uncharted as a force to be reckoned with!

the_id

Game is awesome. we're happy with an 8.5. us ps3 fans have learned to be humble and not expect too much from reviewers.

steve said:
SixAxis works fine in Uncharted and ToD. It's minimalistic, and it works for those purposes.

No. Into the tarpits with it. No implementation of sixaxis functionality is minimalist enough to excuse its obnoxious presence in otherwise perfectly fine games.

spwolf

AltogetherAndrews said:
No. Into the tarpits with it. No implementation of sixaxis functionality is minimalist enough to excuse its obnoxious presence in otherwise perfectly fine games.

its optional, you can just use right stick..and actually combination of both is what works the best.

deepbrown

Loudninja said:
Lol, done :D
Deary me. Anyway I could feel the bitterness in them giving it 8.5. Though I DO know that they were looking forward to challenging and clever puzzles...it was one of the things they wanted to come over from Soul Reaver, but ND wanted them to be easy so you "finish the game" because it's "meant to be like a movie".

My advice to ND...it's not a movie, it's a game. If you put a puzzle in a game, make it challenging, reaching frustrating but not quite, but most importantly, make it compelling. If people have spent $60 on your game, they are going to want to finish it, and will look on the web for a puzzles solution....you shouldn't worry about them completing the game if they've already bought the game.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Loudninja said:
Late again

Actually, no, since the thread started out with post count #1 and not #0, hence, my post really was number 6,000 :D

:lol

That was a joke btw just to see if anyone would believe that shitty math

spwolf

deepbrown said:
Deary me. Anyway I could feel the bitterness in them giving it 8.5. Though I DO know that they were looking forward to challenging and clever puzzles...it was one of the things they wanted to come over from Soul Reaver, but ND wanted them to be easy so you "finish the game" because it's "meant to be like a movie".

My advice to ND...it's not a movie, it's a game. If you put a puzzle in a game, make it challenging, reaching frustrating but not quite, but most importantly, make it compelling. If people have spent $60 on your game, they are going to want to finish it, and will look on the web for a puzzles solution....you shouldn't worry about them completing the game if they've already bought the game.

from the demo, i wouldnt think they game was easy, whatsoever.. But many people do dislike the puzzles, like me for example...

Madman

AltogetherAndrews said:
Any usage of sixaxis is poor usage of sixaxis. To the pits of hell with this abomination and let us never talk of it again.
No way. It works great in Folklore and really adds to the game. Fl0w would not have had nearly the same feel without it. It might not work everywhere, but it definitely has it's uses.

deepbrown

spwolf said:
from the demo, i wouldnt think they game was easy, whatsoever.. But many people do dislike the puzzles, like me for example...
The wanted the puzzles to be easy...I get what they mean, but I despised the puzzles in GOW...cause they were stupidly simplistic. I think having the Soul reaver guys on Uncharted made 1up preempt what Uncharted should be like...forgetting it's a different game, and that Soul Reaver didn't sell that well.

Dizzan

MINI Member
deepbrown said:

I wish there was more cross industry interaction. Naughty Dog should work together with the Zelda team for the sequel. Zelda puzzles>>>>>>all

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I thought puzzles in GoW and especially GoW2 were great. Not too difficult, not insultingly easy Who didn't like the circular water puzzle in GoW2?

I'm hoping Uncharted has something simillar, but to be completely fair, at first there was talk that the game wouldn't even have any puzzles - the very first interview at E3 about gameplay, Evan Wells didn't even mentioned puzzles as the gameplay component. It's nice to see they decided to put them in after all.

deepbrown

Dizzan said:
I wish there was more cross industry interaction. Naughty Dog should work together with the Zelda team for the sequel. Zelda puzzles>>>>>>all
No i think they would have been fine by thereself...they said they toned down the puzzles from what they originally were (that's what i interpreted it as anyway)

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
I thought puzzles in GoW and especially GoW2 were great. Not too difficult, not insultingly easy Who didn't like the circular water puzzle in GoW2?

I'm hoping Uncharted has something simillar, but to be completely fair, at first there was talk that the game wouldn't even have any puzzles - the very first interview at E3 about gameplay, Evan Wells didn't even mentioned puzzles as the gameplay component. It's nice to see they decided to put them in after all.
GOW2 maybe...GOW1 NO. Remember that twisting shapes and fit together to make a rectangle puzzle? Peh...that's like a three year pushing shapes through the right shaped holes.

deepbrown

Tieno said:
There's only a subjective viewpoint.
Not completely accurate. You can look at something objectively, or subjectively. Objectivity needn't be an aggregate combination of lots of subjective views. Though that's only my subjective opinion (and yes there are only subjective opinions lol)

The Chef

AltogetherAndrews said:

So how do you feel about R&C use of it for the
"hacking" open doors and cutting through walls

Kosma

Banned
Ok caved in and played the (short) demo.

Game looks and sounds fucking ace. Gameplay in the demo is ok, nothing special imho. The jumping bits are very well done, but the gunplay isn't the best around, but maybe I'm just not used to being in cover after clocking in 20+ hours in COD4 MP. The story will be what drives me forward to finish this one, cause it's very well done.

All in all glad I pre-ordered this one. But it won't be GOTY.

nelsonroyale said:
no game should be a ten...none of the games Ive ever played have deserved it from an objective viewpoint

seriously I have not played one game this year that deserved a 10 that was given to it.

Bioshock was fantastic but a fricken 10 a 8.5 for that was totally sufficent. I cant comment on Halo cause I didnt play it but gears 10 seemed pretty ridiculous as well. About the only games I have ever played in my life that I would give a 10 were Mario 64, MGS1, Resident Evil 2, and HL1 but a lot of people will probably have a problem with that list as well.

The Chef said:

I actually did like it for the hacking parts I found them to be much more difficult using the joysticks than the tilt function funny enough.

The Chef said:

I didn't use it for anything in Ratchet, except the tornado launcher. And that sucked. Well, not the weapon, but the control method.

Tieno

deepbrown said:
Not completely accurate. You can look at something objectively, or subjectively. Objectivity needn't be an aggregate combination of lots of subjective views. Though that's only my subjective opinion (and yes there are only subjective opinions lol)
I really don't know how to look at a game 'objectively'. It's my experience and then I try to see why I responded to it the way I did.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Ok my final (serious) review predictions

IGN - 9.4
Gamespot 8.5
1up - 8.5
Gametrailers 9.1
Edge - 7
GamesTM - 5.0
Eurogamer - 8

i put money on it.

oo Kosma oo said:
The jumping bits are very well done, but the gunplay isn't the best around, but maybe I'm just not used to being in cover after clocking in 20+ hours in COD4 MP.

I guess we can't be friends after all. COD4 SP might have been a 10 if it had featured some cover fire functions. Not that I liked the gunplay in Uncharted, but on a purely strategical level, Drake seems more well trained than my SAS dude.

KGKK

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
I didn't use it for anything in Ratchet, except the tornado launcher. And that sucked. Well, not the weapon, but the control method.

Whatchu talkin' boot?! It was awesom-o:D

deepbrown

Tieno said:
I really don't know how to look at a game 'objectively'. It's my experience and then I try to see why I responded to it the way I did.
Difficult yes, impossible no. Though your feelings on what is an objective way to look at a game is of course completely subjective...:D
AltogetherAndrews said:
I guess we can't be friends after all. COD4 SP might have been a 10 if it had featured some cover fire functions. Not that I liked the gunplay in Uncharted, but on a purely strategical level, Drake seems more well trained than my SAS dude.
I love motion controls :/ and I used to think analogue sticks were over rated...

AltogetherAndrews said:

hahaha man isnt that the truth I couldnt control the damn thing unless I stayed perfectly still.

Firewire said:
I think the sixaxis was used perfectly in R&C, and from what I've seen of Uncharted they seem to be following the same route.
The grenade arc was a good idea, but it seems like I never have time to properly set it.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
BruceLeeRoy said:
seriously I have not played one game this year that deserved a 10 that was given to it.

Bioshock was fantastic but a fricken 10 a 8.5 for that was totally sufficent.

That one boggles me too. But it was good just not 10....mostly because of the end i would say.

BobTheFork said:
The grenade arc was a good idea, but it seems like I never have time to properly set it.

I got pretty good with it actually....but then again i probably put like 50 hrs into the demo so far.

Kosma

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

We still can be friends because I haven't said a word about COD4 SP, which I despise with great passion. I'd rather listen to a Gamespot podcast then play COD4 SP.

Drake has all the moves yes, but there's something about the shooting that feels off to me. The shots seem to lack punch, and the enemies don't react too well when being hit. It just feels strange.

BobTheFork said:

You get a lot better at it the more you use it I can pop that thing up and dial it onto a guy within a second now it gets really intuitive since you just tilt the controller toward the direction the guy is more or less.

[CFD] El Capitan said:
That one boggles me too. But it was good just not 10....mostly because of the end i would say.

Yeah I totally agree man its almost like we have had this conversation before...

oo Kosma oo said:
We still can be friends because I haven't said a word about COD4 SP, which I despise with great passion. I'd rather listen to a Gamespot podcast then play COD4 SP.

Drake has all the moves yes, but there's something about the shooting that feels off to me. The shots seem to lack punch, and the enemies don't react too well when being hit. It just feels strange.

I disagree but your avatar kicks unholy ass.
One of the greatest movies ever.

Top Bottom