• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Loudninja said:
Lets post your favorite Uncharted pic or gif

I start:

Uncharted_uboat-int-walking.jpg
YES! I love this! Keep'em coming!

Loudninja

Anastacio said:
All of a sudden I'm in a mood to make an Uncharted website hmm..

Anyway, it could be a pretty great idea making a whole new leading role for the sequel.
I mean, I LOVE Nate as a character, and he's just perfect in the beta but it would be cool, somehow playing someone who has maybe been closely related to Drake, and those more information could be given about him throughout the game. Then finally we discover Drake, and we'll control him for the last chapter of Uncharted 2, nothing action packed, but maybe dressed differently in a whole other location or something. A great base, which could develope into a great idea, no?

Can I ask you one more thing?What is your final judgement on the game?:D

Kittonwy

Banned
kaching said:
Not really. The continuation of GoW is tied into an overarching storyline which brings extra baggage much more than just recycling key characters does. Uncharted could be set up more like a set of serials - stories which aren't necessarily tied together in any significant way, other than familiar characters.

They can focus on events before Drake's Schicksal, or after, even if they have storyline continuation, there's probably more backstories that can be written on Drake. To be honest, Drake is so much more interesting and better written than a character like Kratos that I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to play as Drake rawr. I mean, Drake has more interesting to say than, "ZEUSSSSSSS RAWR!!!111!!!" or "AREEEEESSSSS RAWR!!!111!!!" or "ATHENNNNAAAAAAA RAWR!!!111!!!".
Indifferent2.gif

Basch

I can't take it anymore. This game is so awesome no one should be missing out on it. I say we start a campaign: The Official Uncharted: Drake's Shicksel Campaign of Barrelamas. :D

No, but seriously. We should start a campaign to inform others about this awesome game. We could do something like from that movie Pay it Forward. Each of us would be given the task of informing three other individuals that we in turn tell them to do the same. Meaning, for each one, the three people you tell about the game would then go on to tell three more people. I mean Naughty Dog has made a masterpiece here. The least we could do is inform others about their creation. What do you think?

Anyway, it could be a pretty great idea making a whole new leading role for the sequel.
I mean, I LOVE Nate as a character, and he's just perfect in the beta but it would be cool, somehow playing someone who has maybe been closely related to Drake, and those more information could be given about him throughout the game. Then finally we discover Drake, and we'll control him for the last chapter of Uncharted 2, nothing action packed, but maybe dressed differently in a whole other location or something. A great base, which could develope into a great idea, no?

I don't know... I'd miss my Drake and Elena. :D Let's just wait and see how the first one ends before we start guessing at what could happen in the sequel. But, I have a feeling we won't find out all the answers to our questions in this game. Something fishy is going on.

OFF TOPIC:
By the way, someone mentioned earlier about Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier being pattened. What happens if The Lost Frontier is going to be the new suffix for Jak and Daxter, much the same way as Ratchet and Clank Future is.

Basch said:
I don't know... I'd miss my Drake and Elena. :D Let's just wait and see how the first one ends before we start guessing at what could happen in the sequel. But, I have a feeling we won't find out all the answers to our questions in this game. Something fishy is going on.

I think ND have already quashed the idea of a cliffhanger. I would expect Uncharted 2 to be an original story (with Drake of course). Personally I can imagine a number of ways to handle a sequel. My favourite would be having the events of UDF making Drake something of a celebrity (Elena's a film maker remember) and somehow this newfound fame gets him embroiled in a brand new mystery. It would be a great way to get Drake into a big city too. There are other ways to continue his story but that's my favourite.

Heck, with the talent from Soul Reaver present it might not even be called Uncharted. It could be "________: Drake's Fortune", you never know.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seriously, I know it's an old pic... but.

uncharted-drakes-fortune-ps3-screenshot-big.jpg

Pachimari

Elena could be a journalist as well, making a documentary..
As to the question of my final impression, I don't have any as I haven't played the full game yet. Though we should get it tomorrow, so I'll complete it sometime this week and will judge it afterward. Based on the beta, it has serious potiential being 'Game of the Year 2007', though there's other strong contendors as well, no doubt. The beta just screamed polish and quality on a whole other level than other full videogames.

If there should be some nitpicking concerns based on the beta, it would be, no interactivity with barrels or enviroments (but the shotholes looks great), at times embarressing artificial intelligence (blowing themselves up), the fighting engine could maybge become repetetive - otherwise it's one heck of a beta; can't wait playing the review copy.

Oh, linearity and a possibility of a short adventure is absolute no concers for me personally. The linearity of the level designs is being made up for, with the out-of-this-world artistical influence and small sandbox design within the levels. I'm a guy who likes my games kinda short so I think Uncharted will have a good length, keeping me at the screen with the story and more so with treasures and a lot of unlockables.

And, at my first playthrough I will play it at a 32" HDTV, on my second playthrough Ill play it on my own 42" Plasma HDTV and on the third playtrough, I'll have rumble added to the game, wee. =)

Pachimari

Firewire said:
Some terrible shaky cam footage of some platforming that I don't think we've seen yet.

Please don't watch if you don't want the game to be spoiled for you in anyway!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...172&start=0&num=10&so=1&type=search&plindex=3
At the bottom of that place in the video, that's were the big bug orcurse with him jumping 30 meters up in the air to hide behind a wall. It's a great place, but it's really really easy and fast climbing around, which isn't a bad thing. If I remember right, it's the
second chapter

Chipopo

Banned
Basch said:
I can't take it anymore. This game is so awesome no one should be missing out on it. I say we start a campaign: The Official Uncharted: Drake's Shicksel Campaign of Barrelamas. :D

No, but seriously. We should start a campaign to inform others about this awesome game. We could do something like from that movie Pay it Forward. Each of us would be given the task of informing three other individuals that we in turn tell them to do the same. Meaning, for each one, the three people you tell about the game would then go on to tell three more people. I mean Naughty Dog has made a masterpiece here. The least we could do is inform others about their creation. What do you think?

This is a really good idea imo

Loudninja

Anastacio said:
Elena could be a journalist as well, making a documentary..
As to the question of my final impression, I don't have any as I haven't played the full game yet. Though we should get it tomorrow, so I'll complete it sometime this week and will judge it afterward. Based on the beta, it has serious potiential being 'Game of the Year 2007', though there's other strong contendors as well, no doubt. The beta just screamed polish and quality on a whole other level than other full videogames.

If there should be some nitpicking concers based on the beta, it would be, no interactivity with barrels or enviroments, at times embarressing artificial intelligence, the fighting engine could maybge become repetetive - otherwise it's one heck of a beta; can't wait playing the review copy.

Thats good to hear :D

Firewire

Banned
Anastacio said:
At the bottom of that place in the video, that's were the big bug orcurse with him jumping 30 meters up in the air to hide behind a wall. It's a great place, but it's really really easy and fast climbing around, which isn't a bad thing. If I remember right, it's the
second chapter

Big Bug? Awesome! Didn't even know about that!

calder

Basch said:
We should start a campaign to inform others about this awesome game. We could do something like from that movie Pay it Forward. Each of us would be given the task of informing three other individuals that we in turn tell them to do the same.

I hate to say it, but it might be necessary. I was at EB and decided to put a few bucks down on a preorder for Uncharted and neither of the two guys at the counter had any idea what I was talking about, and one was the manager heh. Not only didn't they know what Uncharted was or when it was coming out, but even after finally finding it in their system under "Drake's Fortune" neither had any idea what game it was even after I described it. Kind of scary.

Pachimari

Firewire said:
Big Bug? Awesome! Didn't even know about that!
Not a bug in that way hahaha, but an error which cursed Nathan Drake to jump 30 meters up in the air and through one of the walls made of stone - but to be fair, it was a beta code.

Loudninja

Anastacio said:
Not a bug in that way hahaha, but an error which cursed Nathan Drake to jump 30 meters up in the air and through one of the walls made of stone - but to be fair, it was a beta code.

Take that Superman

J-Rzez

calder said:
I hate to say it, but it might be necessary. I was at EB and decided to put a few bucks down on a preorder for Uncharted and neither of the two guys at the counter had any idea what I was talking about, and one was the manager heh. Not only didn't they know what Uncharted was or when it was coming out, but even after finally finding it in their system under "Drake's Fortune" neither had any idea what game it was even after I described it. Kind of scary.

Didn't they have video's playing in the store of it? I know in both my local GS's they had the GS video mentioning Uncharted... And, it's in the loop on the PS3, and in that color binder of games coming out... They're just non-gamers for a paycheck, or, ignorant MS/Ninty fanboys...

deepbrown

calder said:

Well the guys in Game over here said there were hardly any games coming to the ps3 about 3 months ago. And I said Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted...and they said "well they probably won't come out until next year". They don't know anything

Rolf NB

Basch said:

Okay, first who gets the New York Times to believe this is a big enough release to run a story wins sixteen gallons of orange juice (delivered via UPS, in a barrel).

Also, public appearances in TV talk shows or on public radio using the phrase "Uncharted nation" will be rewarded with a lick of the lama, in the face or elsewhere, just say it.

Also, we should encourage as many people as possible that "Well it's no Uncharted" is an adequate statement to use in discussions of any other game in remotely the same genre.

Loudninja

bcn-ron said:
Okay, first who gets the New York Times to believe this is a big enough release to run a story wins sixteen gallons of orange juice (delivered via UPS, in a barrel).

Also, public appearances in TV talk shows or on public radio using the phrase "Uncharted nation" will be rewarded with a lick of the lama, in the face or elsewhere, just say it.

Also, we should encourage as many people as possible that "Well it's no Uncharted" is an adequate statement to use in discussions of any other game in remotely the same genre.

Or we can do it by force.*loads barrel gun*They will buy this game

J-Rzez said:
Did they kill off Indy in the movies? NO... LET NATHAN LIVE! LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVE!!!

Erm... No, no they didn't. Indy 4's due out next year. I'm not being funny but where did you get such a crazy idea?

edit: Can I ask how the hell the Mass Effect OT got AFW in the title and we're stuck with awesomesauce?

Loudninja

freethought said:
Erm... No, no they didn't. Indy 4's due out next year. I'm not being funny but where did you get such a crazy idea?

edit: Can I ask how the hell the Mass Effect OT got AFW in the title and we're stuck with awesomesauce?

Yeah I know, they ges the Uncharted motto :mad:

Rolf NB

freethought said:

They liked it and they stole it. It was an act of desperation. They have nothing else. Show some sympathy and let it slide.

Loudninja

Full review from geekpulp

One of the biggest first party releases to arrive on the PS3 this year, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune has had people talking for the last year, and with good reason. The game takes a polished theatrical story telling method and broadens what has been offered in the past with its gameplay. This along with the likes of Heavenly Sword have taken a turn towards a cinematic experience with movie like production qualities and game play to fit. The way the game progresses is what you have seen time and time again in the cinema, the character development and their relationships are also highlighted as a driving factor in the game which is again a refreshing change from the typical event oriented focus.
Nathan Drake is the type of guy that makes the ladies weak at the knee. His arms are tanned and his sleeves are rolled up to show off his muscular forearms. His broad back stretches the fabric of his t-shirt taut and when wet the smooth expanse of his stomach is visible rising out of the waistband of his tight jeans that clung suggestively to his thighs and his firm, tight buttocks. Tall dark and incredibly handsome, his rugged profile is enhanced by his smouldering intense gaze as he wipes the smudge of soot off his strong manly chin……….. I digress.

Drake is depicted as a real person in the way he talks, his facial expressions and his spirited response to the challenges that are thrown in his path. The story follows his quest as he follows in the footsteps of his progenitor Sir Francis Drake. He is accompanied by a very special lady Elena Fisher, she is one of the quirkiest female NPC’s ever depicted in a game. She has real personality, not to say GlaDOS lacks spark, but Elena has the inklings of human flaws and eccentricities that make us who we are, she appears socially awkward at times and still maintains a healthy level of likeability. In an interview Amy Hennig (the director) said the following

“Instead of getting the usual over-the-top performances you usually experience in a video game, I expect gamers will say, ‘Wow! They seem just like real people.’ And that’s because the performances you’re seeing do come from real people”

They achieved what they wanted and I am impressed.

The gameplay in Uncharted is a hybrid of an exploration come adventure game spliced with third person shooter action. The cover controls are simple and easy to use, and precision targeting is also simple with the left trigger. Blind firing is also a feature that came in handy more than once and with the shotgun is was quite effective. The mix of shooting and exploring works to engross and keep the player on their toes, I found the 3D gameplay of climbing and shooting a welcome adjustment from the typical corridor shooters of old. A sense of depth and spatial awareness also seems to have been accomplished very well, with camera angles used in combination with very realistic lighting and shadows effects, I only misjudged on the odd occasion and that was mostly because I got careless.

The graphical style is a lush/colourful take on real life. The textures, lighting and atmospheric effects are added to rich colours and high def shrubbery. The rocks in the shade are moss covered and where a fire takes place the trees are burnt and damaged, waterfalls, decaying man made structures, almost every single visual aspect has been crafted to look spectacular. There does seem to be a few issues with white pixels appearing now and again on the edge of objects, it is far less noticeable than it was on earlier builds of the game but still present in small amounts. One other thing that has changed in the development process is the amount of blood, now when you pull off that perfect blind fire crotch shot you will be greeted with a pleasant spurt of red liquid…. perfection. Explosions vary from believable (grenades) to artistically stylised black cotton wool clouds; I don’t like the solid look of the smoke balls and their total opacity.

Over and above the great look of the game is the almost perfect way they have captured the natural movements of actions each of the characters perform. Running and jumping is fluid and smooth, grabbing a ledge and hanging on takes effort and appears perilous. Rolling on the ground to break the impact of a jump from height is also a nice touch. It captures human motion in an uncanny way and sets a precedence for realistic actions in games to follow.

The movie like script has a good amount of intrigue and without spoiling the story it will have to suffice to say that some parts are completely expected while others might catch you off guard (in a significant way). There were a few “what the?” moments as the enemies are constantly in areas that you have arrived at which up to that point appeared nigh on impenetrable to anyone other than yourself, then to find there is an easy access route. The length of the game is good and will probably be best enjoyed/savoured on the Medium or Hard difficulty setting.

Some games I want to give a score, this is one of them, it promotes gaming as an interactive adventure and an art form, broadening what is possible on a gaming platform. For this alone it deserves acknowledgement, the fact that it controls so well and is very fun just compounds this to make it a great title in gaming history. It has it’s flaws but its ambition and quality features far out weigh the few issues. Naughty Dog has my permission to abstain from making cartoon games in the future to concentrate on cinematic titles such as this. Dust off the PS3 and get ready to jump around.

Firewire

Banned
Cool! Kinda surprised the guy didn't give it a score, even though I guess the site doesn't score games, sounds like he really wanted to though!

I say we do it for him 10/10! :D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Firewire said:
Cool! Kinda surprised the guy didn't give it a score, even though I guess the site doesn't score games, sounds like he really wanted to though!

I say we do it for him 10/10! :D

Let's see translated that for Gamespot lingo, computing the 4 adding some hydrocarbon and the Gamespot review is a 6.0. :D

the_id

bcn-ron said:
They liked it and they stole it. It was an act of desperation. They have nothing else. Show some sympathy and let it slide.

the one who made the Mass Erect thread wanted to make this thread. but steve did it without telling him. so in the end he did Mass erect and is hyping uncharted along the way by adding AFW.

Twix

can’t wait for the first " real " reviews..I predict :

IGN: 9.5 / 10

1up: 9 / 10

GI: 9.25 / 9.25

Gamespot: 8.5

EDGE: 8

EGM: 9 - 9 - 9.5

PSM: 10 / 10 :D

Yoshichan

Twix said:
can’t wait for the first " real " reviews..I predict :
IGN: 9.1/10
1up: 9/10
Gamespot: 8.5
EDGE: 8
EGM: 9 - 9 - 8
PSM: 10

Top Bottom