• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Loudninja

BruceLeeRoy said:
You get a lot better at it the more you use it I can pop that thing up and dial it onto a guy within a second now it gets really intuitive since you just tilt the controller toward the direction the guy is more or less.

Yeah, i can a make a grenade boucne off two walls and land at the enemy feet

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
oo Kosma oo said:
but the gunplay isn't the best around, but maybe I'm just not used to being in cover after clocking in 20+ hours in COD4 MP.
I've played CoD4 SP for maybe two hours, and Uncharted demo for maybe 10 minutes, but I have to say that despite all the keerrazzy intensity of CoD4, my problem with it was I didn't feel the satisfaction of accomplishing something whenever I shot at anyone, like I did in Uncharted. It was always somehow like I'm an observer even if I know I'm not. I have a simillar problem with R&C that I have with CoD4 actually. I think the slow paced anticipation and you being kinda underpowered in Uncharted (as opposed to those two other games) is in part what's doing it for me.

Firewire

Banned
BobTheFork said:
The grenade arc was a good idea, but it seems like I never have time to properly set it.

Takes a bit to get used to, and you have to have the timing down right. But Naughty Dog had already mentioned that motion controls can be turned off in the game, so If anyone isn't into it, they won't be plagued by it.

spwolf

Firewire said:
Takes a bit to get used to, and you have to have the timing down right. But Naughty Dog had already mentioned that motion controls can be turned off in the game, so If anyone isn't into it, they won't be plagued by it.

once again, no need to turn it off, right stick is always accessible without fiddling with the options.

YYZ

I know why it got 8.5 from EGM, they even said it, "not much original here". 8.5 across the board means it's the best or top 2 of its genre for the time. Well to me it does, I've grown to hate scores and I would prefer to get rid of them. That's how I interpret the score. Then again, some games get 9+ and they don't bring anything significantly new to the table. I think the EGM guys like Uncharted a lot, they thoroughly enjoyed it, but didn't have any "I'm blown away" moments except for graphics and presentation, but they also didn't have any significant negatives regarding gameplay either. Reviewers should be more wary of handing out 9+ because if you don't sit down and think hard about what the score means then people will get confused since no site is the same and we get those popcorn threads. I think a magazine like Edge has it right with their tougher grading. Judging by this EGM score, they might go as low as 7.5 for Uncharted which would start a lot of shit.

This is only one viewpoint. Someone could give Uncharted a 9+ and justify it by citing supreme presentation values and graphics, as well as gameplay. I would still like to get this game since I'm more of a single player gamer anyway. This seems to have an awesome single player experience.

SolidSnakex said:
I'm guessing you haven't played SMG yet. :)

No I havent and like I already said Mario 64 is one of the few games I would consider perfect so if its anywhere close to that baby I am frothing at the mouth...Just sucks I have to get a wii to play it.

Kosma

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
I disagree but your avatar kicks unholy ass.
One of the greatest movies ever.

;)

Marconelly said:
I've played CoD4 SP for maybe two hours, and Uncharted demo for maybe 10 minutes, but I have to say that despite all the keerrazzy intensity of CoD4, my problem with it was I didn't feel the satisfaction of accomplishing something whenever I shot at anyone, like I did in Uncharted. It was always somehow like I'm an observer even if I know I'm not. I have a simillar problem with R&C that I have with CoD4 actually. I think the slow paced anticipation and you being kinda underpowered in Uncharted (as opposed to those two other games) is in part what's doing it for me.

Yeah I hate COD4 SP, but the enemies do really look and sound like their being hit with bullets. There is some strange animation delay in Uncharted. I can't explain it , just feels off to me. I agree on the tension though, Ratchet lacked it, this feels more like Gears and that's a good thing. The enemies are pretty aggressive which is nice too imho.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Marconelly said:

YES!! Well said. Uncharted has a tension that is rarely felt in games. You are constantly under pressure and when you get yourself out of a sticky situation it is extremely satisfying (and that was just from the demo).

When is the
IGN review up

Dizzan said:
YES!! Well said. Uncharted has a tension that is rarely felt in games. You are constantly under pressure and when you get yourself out of a sticky situation it is extremely satisfying (and that was just from the demo).

When is the
IGN review up

DAMN YOU AND YOUR CONVENIENTLY PLACED SPOILER TAGS!!

Man I really should get back to work but this is far more entertaining than working on a website that sells yarn.

Loudninja

Dizzan said:

When is the
IGN review up

Ass !:lol

Firewire

Banned
spwolf said:
once again, no need to turn it off, right stick is always accessible without fiddling with the options.

Yeah I know, but I was just saying for anyone that becomes annoyed with it, they have the option of turning it off.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Marconelly said:

I love COD4 but i sorta agree with you in that regard.

and it comes down to the gore, the game felt so realistic that with only a meer blood splater after an A47 in the head realy felt out of place.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dizzan said:
That's not to say I don't like CoD4 and R&C, quite the opposite actually, but that lack of sense of accomplishment is something I have to put against both games.

Firewire

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
No I havent and like I already said Mario 64 is one of the few games I would consider perfect so if its anywhere close to that baby I am frothing at the mouth...Just sucks I have to get a wii to play it.

Don't do it! You'll become part of the problem!

Vadernoooooo!.jpg

Awesome games get awesome scores, news at 11. Can we seriously not complain about 10s for or against, too much damn headache over what deserves or not a 10, perfect (this is what I hate the most, "but it's not perfect, " no shit Sherlock) or not. Just rank it how you feel and get over it. I have my favorite games of all time, do I actually know how they are scored anymore, I stopped caring.

Just let them score how they feel and look over the collective and make judgment from there to take reviews for said game, cause of course you aren't going to agree with some of them cause I sure as hell don't. I'm more concerned over games that start ranking low of ones I'm interested and see why they thought so.

What the hell...I'll give Bioshock a 10 like you would give it a 8.5...why? Cause I can because I think it's awesome.

Dizzan said:

When is the
IGN review up

I love playing a game where the AI can kick my ass fairly.
I have probably gone through that demo 16 times now but everytime I die its always cause I wasnt doing something right not because I got cheap shotted.

deepbrown

DO you think they put "not original" in the COD4 review? Am I allowed to say that? Am i bitter about FPS games not being deducted for repetition and lack of innovation? Hell yes.

ps.
I don't think the
IGN review is up
yet

deepbrown said:
DO you think they put "not original" in the COD4 review? Am I allowed to say that? Am i bitter about FPS games not being deducted for repetition and lack of innovation? Hell yes.

ps.
I don't think the
IGN review is up
yet

I want to hurt you.

YYZ said:
I know why it got 8.5 from EGM, they even said it, "not much original here". 8.5 across the board means it's the best or top 2 of its genre for the time. Well to me it does, I've grown to hate scores and I would prefer to get rid of them. That's how I interpret the score. Then again, some games get 9+ and they don't bring anything significantly new to the table. I think the EGM guys like Uncharted a lot, they thoroughly enjoyed it, but didn't have any "I'm blown away" moments except for graphics and presentation, but they also didn't have any significant negatives regarding gameplay either. Reviewers should be more wary of handing out 9+ because if you don't sit down and think hard about what the score means then people will get confused since no site is the same and we get those popcorn threads. I think a magazine like Edge has it right with their tougher grading. Judging by this EGM score, they might go as low as 7.5 for Uncharted which would start a lot of shit.

This is only one viewpoint. Someone could give Uncharted a 9+ and justify it by citing supreme presentation values and graphics, as well as gameplay. I would still like to get this game since I'm more of a single player gamer anyway. This seems to have an awesome single player experience.
PS3 game, no 9s here. I wouldn't agree with them on the originality front. In a crowd of FPSes and shooters, an action adventure light hearted game like Uncharted is seriously standing out. In fact I can't remember when was the last time we had a game like that (mixing funny with action adventure).

Kosma

Banned
I haven't died in the demo once by the way, then again I played on normal. It was tougher then I thought, ammo running low etc. I even tried to roadie run to cover :lol

BruceLeeRoy said:

I feel the same way as you do about Mario 64. SMG is what you've been waiting for if you're a Mario 64 fan. Whenever you get a Wii you're going to be really happy when you start playing this.

SolidSnakex said:
I feel the same way as you do about Mario 64. SMG is what you've been waiting for if you're a Mario 64 fan. Whenever you get a Wii you're going to be really happy when you start playing this.

Man I really cant wait I love that little plumber boy a little too much.
I should start marching in those parades.

I can't see any game for the PS3 ever getting a 10 rating. For some reason, flaws in PS3 games are worth more penelties in the eyes of the media and I can't see this changing.

Mammothtank said:
I can't see any game for the PS3 ever getting a 10 rating. For some reason, flaws in PS3 games are worth more penelties in the eyes of the media and I can't see this changing.
When PS3 game just so happens to be excellent, it either isn't original or has identity crisis.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Mammothtank said:
Its Sony's fault. They now have horrible relationships with media outlets. About a year ago Engadget/******* had an article where they mentioned how SONY hardly gave them attention nor any free goodies. They were lucky to get anything from SONY and that this was occuring with all media outlets. MS on the other hand was giving away free games, 360s, points, peripherals, you name it, to all journalist. I'm not saying there is a moneyhat situation but having good relationships with the media helps... a lot just look at the amount of overrated games.

Top Bottom