• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Dante

oo Kosma oo said:
So what's next for us PS3 owners as far as exclusives go? Wipeout?

Haze and Unreal I'd imagine

Who knows what's going on with LBP beta, and Home :(

It's pretty crucial if they want to get some momentum, they can't et stuff like KZ2, MGS4, White Knight slip far into next year.

There was supposed to be an 8 days and Getaway reveal sometime this month.

I'd imagine E3's big reveals will be GOW3, Resistance 2, Team Ico, Evolutions next game, Wipeout Next Gen, Heavy Rain maybe.

Sprinkle in some Infamous, GT5, NCSofts game, Echochrome, and Final Fantasy, and I don't think they'll be too bad as far as exclusives go, AGAIN hitting dates is KEY.

Wollan

Dante said:
If Uncharted is 8-10 hours of set pieces the calibur of the demo then it pretty much is ZOMG GOTY for me :)
Ditto. I have never seen such a believable breathing environment in a game before. The music cues is absolutely perfect for the setting. And at the heart there seems to be a thrilling story and a really great game.

JB1981 said:
Not so sure you'd be towing that line if you were a multiplatform gamer!

I used to own both systems, but there's little point in hanging out with the crippled and suicidal cousin when you have a gaming PC. But even if I still bothered with the multiconsole crap, I sure as hell would still argue that anyone who made the claims you did was making ignorant claims. I wouldn't use the term laziness, but developers do fail to take advantage of the system. Whether that is excusable or not is a different matter, but making absolute claims of strength when evidence in exclusive titles point to the contrary, that doesn't make a ton of sense.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JB1981 said:
I'm not sure what any of this discussion has to do with Uncharted, but that NFS video at least, it's pretty clear there's different capturing method/quality involved, and that alone makes the biggest difference, at least in the video. That is very often the case with these comparison videos, to the point that they sometimes don't look anything like some games do on my TV. Or in the case of the AC comparison video, if the PS3 output even was exactly like that, you'd set your TV's colors to 'warm', increase the contrast, and it'd even things out.

JB1981 said:

I can see your point with multiplatform stuff(except COD4 I have seen first two missions of the game on a ps3 and 360 and I would give the nod to ps3) but maybe you can explain to me why everything coming out for the PS3 that is exclusive is starting to distance itself from the 360. R&C frankly looks better to me than anything I have seen on 360 as well as most of HS and even Motorstorm. Uncharted simply blows everything else away and the stuff on the horizon KZ2 and MGS4 look absolutely untouchable.

J-Rzez

JB1981 said:

If we use CoD4 as an example, it's going to boil down to if you want better resolution textures in a FPS when you're staring at your feet or have your face against the wall. Or better AF and overall IQ. They both run the same, they both drop frames in the same situations. Online I'm having less lag on the PS3, but more flaws with the Party System. I'm up to lvl 55 on the PS3 and 43 on the 360, if I had to pick between the two, it'd be the PS3 with the less lag.

As far as multiplatform games themselves go, if it's differences like that, then it's no loss on either system really (though the lag thing is annoying). It's going to boil down to exclusives, and I think it's fair to say that the most impressive games are all for the PS3. Ratchet is gorgeous, Uncharted from the demo is freakin' unbelievable, and GT5:p is a knockout and we all know that it's only going to get better come time for GT5's final release. KZ2 looks promising as well as LBP. Gears was a "shock" for me when I saw it, it was so fine looking. But since then, nothing awed me on my TV like the others.

After playing CoD4 though, I'm soo hyped for the SOCOM's though btw, haha, dedicated servers FTW.

Loudninja said:
Also they did not get all the treasures, most got about 15 to 20 and their are 60 of them
??? what? Didn't know there was anything like that to collect! BONUS!
Review play times are always shorter IMO.

Wollan

And supposedly each treasure is a uniqly modelled ultra high detail 3D item like small statues, native items..etc which you can check in the menus (I guess this could also mean they're easily transferable to Home trophies whenever they patch the game).

Dante

Loudninja said:
Also they did not get all the treasures, most got about 15 to 20 and their are 60 of them

I'm getting all of them, and I better get some sweet trophies in home for getting them, as well as all the skill points in R&C

Loudninja

Wollan said:
And supposedly each treasure is a uniqly modelled ultra high detail 3D item like small statues, native items..etc which you can check in the menus.

Yeah, I really like that

I'm getting all of them, and I better get some sweet trophies in home for getting them, as well as all the skill points in R&C

Hell yeah, i going to search everywhere

Wollan said:
And supposedly each treasure is a uniqly modelled ultra high detail 3D item like small statues, native items..etc which you can check in the menus (I guess this could also mean they're easily transferable to Home trophies whenever they patch the game).

MGS style.

Wollan

As far as I understood from one interview, they haven't been able to implement it yet but they were very keen on having a patch or similar ready when Home comes around.

I'm expecting to see pretty much the same deal with Home trophies as there has been for DualShock 3 adaption with probably a larger list of 'old' games that will have it patched in..etc.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
dralla said:
I'm not sure why people are complaining. 1up docked points off Gears of War for its lack of originality, lame puzzles, and character sterotypes too. right?

:]
doesnt work that way buddy!

9.5 Presentation

The whole thing has the polish of a major motion picture and goes out of its way to immerse you in the experience with amazing cutscenes, music and more.

9.0 Graphics

There's no doubt the game looks great and that the use of in-game assets for the movies is seamless transition, but there's still a fair amount of screen tearing and texture pop in.

9.5 Sound

From the low instrumental piece accompanying the opening screen to the sweeping score that runs throughout the whole game, this is what videogame music should be.

9.0 Gameplay

This game is flat-out fun to play. Leaping from ledges is awesome, shootouts are fun, and the occasional vehicle section is a nice change of pace. Still, the pirate battles can be a bit much.

8.5 Lasting Appeal

The game is short, but the medals, rewards and bonuses should be enough to bring you back at least once.

Mifune

Mehmber
Reviewers shouldn't be able to say "the game is short" and then not say how long it takes to beat the thing.

It might be talked about in the full review, but I can't be bothered to wade through the six pages of IGN review babble to find out.

Awntawn

IGN said:
9.0 Graphics

There's no doubt the game looks great and that the use of in-game assets for the movies is seamless transition, but there's still a fair amount of screen tearing and texture pop in.
oh come on

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
but there is a lot of texture pop-in on the jungle floor
I didnt see a single pop-in in any video. WTF?? Pistacio!!! Is this true???

Graphics a 9? I'm going to quit gaming seriously, I just cant tell anymore

Wollan

Confirmed. Games will never get 10 in graphics.

Anyways, a bit too hasty a review me thinks. Ecspecially considering it's the first one online.

TEH-CJ

Banned
9.0 Graphics

You have got to be fucking kidding me...

anyways good score..i guess

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Mifune said:
Reviewers shouldn't be able to say "the game is short" and then not say how long it takes to beat the thing.

It might be talked about in the full review, but I can't be bothered to wade through the six pages of IGN review babble to find out.
They said it took them 8 hours. Just about every reviewer on this thread mentioned 9-10 without doing 1/3 of the medals so ....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, he complained a bit about aliasing too.

I have to say on the other hand that I've never seen the game that looks just this *solid*, at least based on the demo. I can understand the complaints, but I have to ask what else out there looks better either.

COD4 certainly looks impressive, but far from "10" impressive. There's a lot of crappy looking stuff in there as well as a lot of great looking stuff.

Didn't read the whole review for the fear of spoilers, but I love how this quote sounds:

Uncharted does what few titles manage -- it completely immerses you in its experience. From the moment the game begins with a sweeping camera move through the waters off Panama, a rich score and the words of Sir Francis Drake etched on screen, Uncharted will have you hooked. It'll maintain that hold with its story, style and gameplay.
Exactly what I was hoping from the game from the day one.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
IGN said:
Here's the thing about Uncharted, the final sum is far greater than the individual parts. Maybe you don't dig the combat or maybe the pop-in gets you down, but the overall package of an endearing story, outstanding score, great performances and fun gameplay should put this title on the top of your holiday wishlist. Say what you will about the PS3, but Uncharted isn't just a standout for Sony -- it's a standout for gaming as a whole.
I sware if the real game doesnt have pop in I will personally write an angry letter :( Thats right bitches thats how I roll.

Kittonwy

Banned
GauntletFan said:
IGN review is up.. 9.1

AFW RAWR.
Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom