• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kildace

antiloop said:
True, it's hard to reach perfection.

If 10 was perfect, Bioshock would never have gotten any. (Bioshock is currently my GOTY, btw, and I'd still give it a 10 in hindsight and despite the last third of the game) 10 is just a way to show that a game buries the competition and Uncharted certainly does in the graphics department.

Snah said:
Uh. Anyone could come up with valid reasons or flaws in every single game they review. Nothing is perfect. But if you're going to claim this is the best game you've seen all year long, and then go ahead and give it a 9.0 in graphics...it appears disingenuous.

The best all year does not equal a ten (being a relative context). That aside, the games technical problems, not art style or fidelity, were problematic. If a game has frequent tearing, an unstable frame rate, or noticeable texture pop in then it isn't worth a ten. It has nothing to do with "perfection", there is a point in which these problems are insignificant, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

dejan

Played the demo yesterday at a friend's house and I enjoyed it most of the time. Especially the gunplay (thanks to the A.I.) and cover mechanics (never played GeoW) felt great. Technically ... well it was a mixed bag. The demo definitely suffered from screen tearing and unsteady framerate. Although this might be a problem with my friends setup (1080p on a 22'' tft with a native res of 1680x1050, wtf?). But animations, char models and textures were all top notch. Overall the demo did it's job ... it definitely wet my appetite for more.

I must admit tho - and I may be in the minority here - I was way more impressed by the Ratchet demo we played afterwards (
HOLY SHIT, AMAZING! INSOMNIAC AM GODS AMONG MEN
).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kildace said:
You can't score games by using unreleased, unplayed titles as a frame of reference. Uncharted is the best-looking game available *today*, nothing short of repeated, sub 20 fps, gameplay-hindering framerate drops should prevent it from getting a 10 in graphics.

Not really. As far as I understand, graphics score doesn't just reflect the quality of the graphic assets but the overall performance of the engine. It's not like Crysis is gonna get a 10 if it runs at 5fps.

pswii60

dejan said:
Played the demo yesterday at a friend's house and I enjoyed it most of the time. Especially the gunplay (thanks to the A.I.) and cover mechanics (never played GeoW) felt great. Technically ... well it was a mixed bag. The demo definitely suffered from screen tearing and unsteady framerate. Although this might be a problem with my friends setup (1080p on a 22'' tft with a native res of 1680x1050, wtf?). But animations, char models and textures were all top notch. Overall the demo did it's job ... it definitely wet my appetite for more.

I must admit tho - and I may be in the minority here - I was way more impressed by the Ratchet demo we played afterwards (
).

You're not alone. Going back to Ratchet again, I think it looks better too. It might not have all the same effects and textures, but the framerate, colours, draw distance and amount of stuff on screen at once makes Ratchet drop my jaw every time.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
pswii60 said:
You're not alone. Going back to Ratchet again, I think it looks better too. It might not have all the same effects and textures, but the framerate, colours, draw distance and amount of stuff on screen at once makes Ratchet drop my jaw every time.

I love this frame rate > graphics talking here.

Snah

Banned
IronicallyTwisted said:
The best all year does not equal a ten (being a relative context). That aside, the games technical problems, not art style or fidelity, were problematic. If a game has frequent tearing, an unstable frame rate, or noticeable texture pop in then it isn't worth a ten. It has nothing to do with "perfection", there is a point in which these problems are insignificant, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The situation you just described isn't applicable in Uncharted. Because they're not frequent. In fact, they're infrequent.

As for texture pop-in? Certainly better than even some really great looking games like Gears of War.

pswii60 said:

I agree to some extent...but then if you look at the massive attack trailer for Uncharted, I think that shows much more impressive areas than in the demo, and prob more impressive than ratchet...As fantastic as R & C is, I think Jak with the uncharted enigine will look better....things like textures and details are much more evident in uncharted.

Overall Uncharted def impresses me more but R & C looks fantastic

Snah said:
The situation you just described isn't applicable in Uncharted. Because they're not frequent. In fact, they're infrequent.

As for texture pop-in? Certainly better than even some really great looking games like Gears of War.

I can only go off what the review stated. Unless you've finished the game, and not played 20 minutes of demo, i'm assuming you don't know either.

Awntawn

IronicallyTwisted said:
And this is where this where this argument is wrong, according to at least 90% of the people who have played the demo. And it's hard to imagine a game less optimized than its demo. Can you name any? I can't.

Snah

Banned
IronicallyTwisted said:
I can only go off what the review stated. Unless you've finished the game, and not played 20 minutes of demo, i'm assuming you don't know either.

I can go off of what I've seen in video footage and the demo I've played. Just watch the IGN video review, ffs, you can tell it's not a huge issue.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm still waiting for Sony's approval of TTP's 6 new videos of Uncharted. Hopefully in a few hours. They sure do look good :)

Snah said:
I can go off of what I've seen in video footage and the demo I've played. Just watch the IGN video review, ffs, you can tell it's not a huge issue.

So, in other words, you bitching about a game getting a 9/10 in graphics, when you haven't even played it?

I think i've seen you around, and i'm pretty sure your a PS3 fanboy, but in either case I think its time you got back to reality. The reality in which a 9/10 is a great score and video games are entertainment, and not objects to be weighted against eachother like some retarded wrestling competition.

Uncharted looks to be an awesome game, so go and fucking play it. Lifes too short for this nonsense.

Tieno

Blimblim said:
Well, that was fast. Just got the approval for our videos, so here they are:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5511_en.html

First 10 minutes part 2. 2 explorations videos, 2 shooting videos, one CQC video. I'll add one more that should please you guys a bit later :)

MP4/Xvid versions are encoding of course.
1065_0001.jpg

Always delivering! Thanks man!

Snah

Banned
IronicallyTwisted said:
So, in other words, you bitching about a game getting a 9/10 in graphics, when you haven't even played it?

I think i've seen you around, and i'm pretty sure your a PS3 fanboy, but in either case I think its time you got back to reality. The reality in which a 9/10 is a great score and video games are entertainment, and not objects to be weighted against eachother like some retarded wrestling competition.

Uncharted looks to be an awesome game, so go and fucking play it. Lifes too short for this nonsense.

Wow. The reading comprehension of some posters on this board is absolutely terrible.

Yes. I have played it.

I'm bitching about a game being proclaimed the best all year in terms of graphics, yet only receiving a 9.0 in that category. It really isn't a big deal, but I find it hilarious.

"you think you've seen me around, I'm a PS3 fanboy"...

UHHH.. What does that have to do with this debate? Do you want me to look up your posting history to make some childish assumption about where your system preference lies? Stay on topic. Given that you can't read, I'm not sure if this is even possible for you.

spwolf

dejan said:

).

this is pretty funny. I will bet anyone anything that if you didnt read IGN review, you would never write frame rate drops in the demo, since there arent any :).

Now, maybe final game plays worse than demo, so maybe it doesnt deserver 10.0 in graphics dept, but demo is 9.9 at least.

pswii60

TTP said:
I love this frame rate > graphics talking here.

The point I was making is that in motion, Ratchet can be far more jaw dropping. I didn't say it was just because of the framerate, as I said the amount of stuff going on in the background, draw distance etc in Ratchet is also jaw dropping. But a fast framerate definitely adds to the experience.

Snah

Banned
pswii60 said:
The point I was making is that in motion, Ratchet can be far more jaw dropping. I didn't say it was just because of the framerate, as I said the amount of stuff going on in the background, draw distance etc in Ratchet is also jaw dropping. But a fast framerate definitely adds to the experience.

Ratchet looks good, but I don't think it's even comparable to Uncharted. They're going for two completely different styles.

I find Uncharted to be more impressive, simply because of the textures, lighting, and character models.

Ratchet looks amazing, no doubt, but it also has rather flat lighting and textures. It makes up for it in geometry, though...

Uncharted just looks more next gen to me.

dejan

spwolf said:
this is pretty funny. I will bet anyone anything that if you didnt read IGN review, you would never write frame rate drops in the demo, since there arent any :).
I haven't read a review of Uncharted, yet.

spwolf

SamBishop said:
Jeezus, dude...

dude, it might seem silly, but saying it is best game graphically and most fun reviewer had this year, does not equal 9.0 and 9.1. It just does not. He didnt even mention streaming world and lack of loading - wtf? Suddenly 0 loading times doesnt matter?

but again, maybe the final game is worse than demo - i just very much doubt that.

Yes, 9.1 is an awesome score.

Yes. Yes, it can. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is the most fun I've had in a videogame this year

Uncharted does what few titles manage -- it completely immerses you in its experience. From the moment the game begins with a sweeping camera move through the waters off Panama, a rich score and the words of Sir Francis Drake etched on screen, Uncharted will have you hooked. It'll maintain that hold with its story, style and gameplay.

Non-playable characters with spot-on AI is something we don't see enough of in games.

Say what you will about the PS3, but Uncharted isn't just a standout for Sony -- it's a standout for gaming as a whole.

spwolf

dejan said:
I haven't read a review of Uncharted, yet.

well there are no framerate drops in the demo that are noticable, only tearing happens when you spin around. We had 6,000 posts before IGN review, and nobody noticed framerate drops :D

pswii60 said:

check blims screens....far more impressive isn't the word Id use...Id give the nudge to uncharted though

Awntawn

spwolf said:
dude, it might seem silly, but saying it is best game graphically and most fun reviewer had this year, does not equal 9.0 and 9.1. It just does not. He didnt even mention streaming world and lack of loading - wtf? Suddenly 0 loading times doesnt matter?

but again, maybe the final game is worse than demo - i just very much doubt that.

Yes, 9.1 is an awesome score.
This question wasn't "this year" btw, it was "this generation"

Are we sure it's the same guy though?

spwolf said:
well there are no framerate drops in the demo that are noticable, only tearing happens when you spin around with 1080i/p selected. We had 6,000 posts before IGN review, and nobody noticed framerate drops :D
fixed. I have still yet to see any tearing at all on 720p. Honestly, I can normally tell when tearing is present. The recently released AC footage is proof to me that I'm not blind yet.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Awntawn said:
fixed. I have still yet to see any tearing at all on 720p. Honestly, I can normally tell when tearing is present. The recently released AC footage is proof to me that I'm not blind yet.
Wrong. All our Uncharted videos are captured at 720p resolution and every single one of them shows some tearing here and there. Nothing major, but it's there.

Awntawn

Blimblim said:
Wrong. All our Uncharted videos are captured at 720p resolution and every single one of them shows some tearing here and there. Nothing major, but it's there.
I'm just saying I've yet to see it throughout my various playthroughs. If it were anywhere near as prevalant as a lot of people are trying to make it out to be, I'd assume I would have at least noticed it. Like I said, it's not like I've never seen screen tearing before.

spwolf

i guess with AC getting 7.5 and Crysis getting 8.5 (AU), Uncharted score does get vindicated a bit... but still, making it sound as if technology behind is one of the worst aspects of the game is crazy.

Snah said:
Wow. The reading comprehension of some posters on this board is absolutely terrible.

Yes. I have played it.

I'm bitching about a game being proclaimed the best all year in terms of graphics, yet only receiving a 9.0 in that category. It really isn't a big deal, but I find it hilarious.

"you think you've seen me around, I'm a PS3 fanboy"...

UHHH.. What does that have to do with this debate? Do you want me to look up your posting history to make some childish assumption about where your system preference lies? Stay on topic. Given that you can't read, I'm not sure if this is even possible for you.

Can't read what? I read everything you wrote perfectly fine. And the reason I mentioned you were a PS3 fanboy is because the only reason you even care has to do with your allegiance to a console, of all things.

deepbrown

J-Rzez said:
I'm just learning to ignore these reviews anymore. For this game, from the very minor tearing in it to receive 1 full point less than CoD4 is getting rediculous. CoD4 is not a 10, it has it's own problems with pop-in and such, and though 60fps, it has drops in it. Uncharted is superior to every other graphical aspect of CoD4 outside of framerate from what i've seen on my own TV. Unless there's major issues in the other segments of Uncharted, I don't know what to say.

It's honestly like the industry is trying to put a fork in the PS3. I'm not even joking. Uncharted is the most impressive game I've seen on consoles. Period. Graphics are a major part of the videogame experience for people, and they know it. They can try to sell the "different reviewers-different scores" all they want, but they need to establish a medium. In this situation, they just look stupid.

I'm not going to debate other things, since I don't know the story and such, but just from what the demo shown, which displays how awesome the graphics are. I won't doubt for one second, if this game was a 360 exclusive, it would've pulled even higher scores.

Eh, whatever... I'm still buying it, I'm still having high hopes for it.
And though 60fps, they had to drop it to 600p to achieve it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Snah said:
Ratchet looks good, but I don't think it's even comparable to Uncharted. They're going for two completely different styles.

I find Uncharted to be more impressive, simply because of the textures, lighting, and character models.

Ratchet looks amazing, no doubt, but it also has rather flat lighting and textures. It makes up for it in geometry, though...

Uncharted just looks more next gen to me.

Ratchet misses out on dynamic lighting & shadows. I didn't notice at first, but a few levels in, it struck me and couldn't get it off my eyes. Especially after playing the Uncharted demo.
Although Ratchet offers a far more open spaced environment, and def has a lot of stuff going on in the background, that Pixar-feel was only touched, and not grasped.
On the other hand, this is Insomniac. Ratchet is a leap from Resistance, and I'm sure they will continue to find new resources and more efficient ways of exploiting them along the way. I enjoyed Ratchet, it's visually impressive, but it's lacking that one final touch.

Snah

Banned
IronicallyTwisted said:
Can't read what? I read everything you wrote perfectly fine. And the reason I mentioned you were a PS3 fanboy is because the only reason you even care has to do with your allegiance to a console, of all things.

Provide proof or GTFO, troll.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
antiloop said:
Thank you.

Edit: can't see them because of spoilers though! damn. :eek:

I've removed all the major spoilerish stuff, especially with regard to puzzle solving. Also, videos are taken from the beginning chapters of the game.

I do strongly advice everyone to download the CQC video :)

BeeDog

Damn, after the Eurogamer and IGN reviews, diarrhea hits me because of the wait for the European launch. GIMME THE MOFUCKING GAME NOW!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mmmkay said:

The fact that Uncharted: Drake's Progress has ended up so good has come as a real surprise, given that there was never any real 'buzz' around it leading up to its release. But, thinking about it, when has Naughty Dog ever let us down? Given a fresh platform and a new lease of life with a radically different style of game, it has carefully pieced together the best bits of all your favourite action adventures and come up with a fundamentally focused offering that's easily as good, if not better than any of them.

the first must-have PlayStation 3 title

/melt

Steroyd

BeeDog said:
Damn, after the Eurogamer and IGN reviews, diarrhea hits me because of the wait for the European launch. GIMME THE MOFUCKING GAME NOW!

LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!!

plz knock the launch date forward a week for Pal land to. kthxbye. :(

Top Bottom