• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Snah

Banned
Eurogamer is notorious for harsh reviews.

Hell, Gears of War got an 8.0 from them.

This uncharted score is magnificent.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Snah said:

They praised every aspect of Uncharted. Just give it a 10 somebody!!!

spwolf

Truly, Uncharted is the first game I've seen to date that makes me wonder if it could be done on the Xbox 360, and as a huge admirer of the software line-up on Microsoft's system, that's saying a lot. [And it's going to get us in trouble again. -Frowny Ed]

In Uncharted, it's not just superior to Gears in terms of out and out detail, but brings a feel-good factor with the sheer level of environmental variety on offer.

Naughty Dog has cooked up one of the most relentlessly entertaining, fat-free games to emerge in ages. Topped off with the most stunning use of the PS3's underused technical prowess yet, Uncharted: Drake's Progress is, for my money, the first must-have PlayStation 3 title.

To reiterate, when you factor in immensely fluid animation, superb controls, a flawless, ever-helpful camera system, decent enemy AI and an engaging non-cringeworthy storyline, the fact that there's also a visual feast on show is something to celebrate

And to top it all, even the audio's worthy of serious acclaim. Scored by non other than Greg Edmondson (of Firefly fame), the orchestral backdrop provides a suitably bombastic yet timeless accompaniment that's dictated by the ebb and flow of the action, never dominating proceedings, and always on hand to provide an appropriate palette that truly adds to an already dramatically involving game

One of the most impressive things about the game is the determined AI routines, showing again that Naughty Dog really isn't messing around with this game. Unlike so many tired, generic action games down the years, you get the impression that the enemies in Uncharted have been designed to properly flush you out from cover

holy shit again!
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=87533&page=1

BeeDog

Gamespot has been so off with their reviews lately nothing would surprise me anymore coming from them (low score for Fire Emblem wtf?, Assassin's Creed discrepancy compared to other better reviewers, etc. etc.). But as said many times over, since a demo is available, why not judge the game yourself when available? :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also interesting that EG pegs the platforming:shooter split as 50:50. I guess people will peg it differently depending on how they play it.

BeeDog

gofreak said:
Also interesting that EG pegs the platforming:shooter split as 50:50. I guess people will peg it differently depending on how they play it.

I bet the split varies between sources depending on how good the player is (eg. the combat situations are more drawn out if the player has worse skills, and that factors in on the ratio, and vice versa for puzzles/platforming).

quetz67

Banned
I usually dont like to play games more than once, so I would rather try to go for all secrests and stuff the first time. Does anybody know if there is some feedback through the game on how many secrets you missed?

Snah

Banned
They nailed the combat:

Sure, Uncharted is full of repetitive combat mechanics, but just like Bungie's acclaimed '30 seconds of fun over and over' approach in Halo, Uncharted's combat is so well honed that there's never a point where you're groaning 'not again' just because you're facing the same sort of character models over and over. Being picky, I'd admit that enemy variety isn't the game's strong point, mainly because you're fighting men with pistols, assault rifles, shotguns, grenades, sniper rifles and other conventional firearms. The variety doesn't come so much from them but nor does it need to. The environments, scenarios and situations always seem to provide a fresh challenge, and there's never necessarily one set route to do it, so the combat still feels fresh by the end - mind you, with the game length clocking in at about the seven or eight hour mark, the game doesn't last long enough to ever get boring anyway, but that's another matter.

This is why I can play the demo 20 times in a row and not get bored. The combat is fantastic.

quetz67

Banned
Snah said:
They nailed the combat:

This is why I can play the demo 20 times in a row and not get bored. The combat is fantastic.
better not overplay it or maybe you get bored with the combat when you finally play the full version.

Tailzo

I liked the visuals in the demo, and the main character was kinda funny. But it did feel weaird to get so many people shooting after me without questioning me so early in the game. Also, I had some trouble with the aming and shooting at first, but it works ok now. I just hope the full game has more exploring than shooting. I really liked jumping and exploring.

Lince

Banned
*preordered"

I tend to rate TTP's (thanks for the videos btw) opinions of games very high and specially accurate when it comes to the technical aspects. Cheers mate.

Holtz

Man, that Eurogamer review was awesome. It managed to make me even more excited for this game, and i thought that wasn't possible. :D

deepbrown

In a game where the split between combat and platforming is about 50-50,
YESSSS!
In Uncharted, it's not just superior to Gears in terms of out and out detail, but brings a feel-good factor with the sheer level of environmental variety on offer.

The dusty, crumbling ruins, the dense, tropical forests, and even the water effects - they're above and beyond anything committed to a gaming canvas to date.

And I hate Eurogamer because I think they are cynical muppets...but this time :D

k79

Banned
Borrowing from all the best equivalents of recent years, it plumps for an 'aim and fire' approach which feels somewhere between Resident Evil 4, GRAW and Gears of War, albeit slicker and with a far greater control over your character than all of them.

One of the most impressive things about the game is the determined AI routines, showing again that Naughty Dog really isn't messing around with this game. Unlike so many tired, generic action games down the years, you get the impression that the enemies in Uncharted have been designed to properly flush you out from cover. They'll continually lob well-placed grenades, try to visibly outflank you, and often work as a team between cover points and try and get in behind you. It's maddening as hell to become the victim of your own stupidity when this happens to you, but you have to admire the mechanics at work that set these dynamic situations up. These guys aren't clueless borg that follow a set path, but visibly respond to the threat in front of them, changing their own tactics in relation to the cover point you decide to take up.

Talking of environments, it's hard to think of a single game that's ever included such lush and staggeringly detailed gaming environment. As much as Gears of War provided a stunning next-generation shooter setting, the moody greys and browns made it a harsh, dark, hostile, and monochromatic place to be. In Uncharted, it's not just superior to Gears in terms of out and out detail, but brings a feel-good factor with the sheer level of environmental variety on offer.

Truly, Uncharted is the first game I've seen to date that makes me wonder if it could be done on the Xbox 360, and as a huge admirer of the software line-up on Microsoft's system, that's saying a lot. [And it's going to get us in trouble again. -Frowny Ed]

O....M......G .... must have this game NOW!!!

Goldrusher

ChryZ said:
[about Play.com] Woah, that's like €46. Pretty awesome deal!

This item can only be delivered to a UK address.

So that's it for Play.com (Amazon.co.uk doesn't ship to mainland Europe either)

Renchi.com and YesAsia are good, but based in Hong Kong, so it takes a while.
Videogamesplus is getting a bit expensive + they charge shipping on top of the already expensive price. Great service and fast shipping though.

Finally, Movietyme...I heard Europeans have to fax a copy of both the front and back of their credit cards ??? Wtf ?

deepbrown

This is what the Eurogamer reviewer says in the comments about IGN's tearing and texture pop-in

"Tearing? TV dependent I guess. Didn't notice it on my screen, maybe it's visible on some makes and models and not others.

Popup? That's the biggest non-issue ever. It's easily one of the most beautiful games ever.":D

Holtz

Goldrusher said:
This item can only be delivered to a UK address.

So that's it for Play.com (Amazon.co.uk doesn't ship to mainland Europe either)

Renchi.com and YesAsia are good, but based in Hong Kong, so it takes a while.
Videogamesplus is getting a bit expensive + they charge shipping on top of the already expensive price. Great service and fast shipping though.

Finally, Movietyme...I heard Europeans have to fax a copy of both the front and back of their credit cards ??? Wtf ?
Doesn't CDUniverse ship to Europe? I use them for my imports, and they work well.

k79

Banned
deepbrown said:
This is what the Eurogamer reviewer says in the comments about IGN's tearing and texture pop-in

"Tearing? TV dependent I guess. Didn't notice it on my screen, maybe it's visible on some makes and models and not others.

Popup? That's the biggest non-issue ever. It's easily one of the most beautiful games ever.":D

Strengthens my believes that IGN's 9 for graphics was bullcrap!

deepbrown

k79 said:
Strengthens my believes that IGN's 9 for graphics was bullcrap!
:) I hope 1up bully up and give it a 9, realising their EGM scores are on the harsh side, and that expecting Soul Reaver puzzles would be misunderstanding the difference between Uncharted and Soul Reaver - ones mass market, the other isn't.

Kittonwy

Banned
Snah said:

Schicksal is teh pwning.
Indifferent2.gif

deepbrown said:
:) I hope 1up bully up and give it a 9, realising their EGM scores are on the harsh side, and that expecting Soul Reaver puzzles would be misunderstanding the difference between Uncharted and Soul Reaver - ones mass market, the other isn't.

Why would they expect Soul Reaver puezzles? Because a few people from the team now work at ND? If so, i'd like some vampires in the game please.

Tieno

Snah said:

What do you think about their Halo 3 score? I've seen lots of people here complain about 1up's Halo 3 sore.

deepbrown

SolidSnakex said:
Why would they expect Soul Reaver puezzles? Because a few people from the team now work at ND? If so, i'd like some vampires in the game please.
it's what they said in the 1up show preview of Uncharted. They said "I'm really looking forward to difficult puzzles like they had in Soul Reaver, we haven't really seen any, so I hope they are there." Hence, no tough puzzles - 1up am cry. Meaning they really misunderstood the game and its target audience.

Snah

Banned
Tieno said:
What do you think about their Halo 3 score? I've seen lots of people here complain about 1up's Halo 3 sore.

I don't know what to say about their Halo 3 review...I don't agree with it is all.

But, the fact is that we now have two major publications (IGN, Eurogamer) writing pretty much glowing reviews of the title....if you don't look at the score, and just read the text, it sounds like one of the best games to come along this year amongst stiff competition.

I honestly didn't hear very many serious complaints in either review.

My only concern is how GameSpot (all over the place) and 1up (generally consistently lowballing certain PS3 games) are going to rate it.

I would imagine GameTrailers will probably look favorably upon Uncharted.

Snah

Banned
Wollan said:
1up is rating it 8.5 (they're taking the lead review from EGM).

That's disappointing.

Hopefully GameSpot will surprise us by giving Uncharted a 9.5 to make up for the 7.5 mess they gave Ratchet.

Tieno

Snah said:
I don't know what to say about their Halo 3 review...I don't agree with it is all.

But, the fact is that we now have two major publications (IGN, Eurogamer) writing pretty much glowing reviews of the title....if you don't look at the score, and just read the text, it sounds like one of the best games to come along this year amongst stiff competition.

I honestly didn't hear very many serious complaints in either review.

My only concern is how GameSpot (all over the place) and 1up (generally consistently lowballing certain PS3 games) are going to rate it.

I would imagine GameTrailers will probably look favorably upon Uncharted.
I'm just bringing it up because Halo gets dogged for getting some 10s around here, including Eurogamer (bias and whatnot) and denounce anything that doesn't suit their agenda. Not talking about Uncharted. I'll just leave it at that cause I don't want to derail the thread with this bias shit

1up will give Uncharted an 8.5, all the EGM reviews are 8.5 and the main EGM review will be 1up's.

Wollan

Steroyd said:
Got this puppy pre-ordered... now I just got to wait till December 7th... later because it's play.com. ;_;

www.videogameplus.ca

Seriously. I used it for the first time for R&CFuture. Got my game on the seventh day.

In regards to Uncharted, you will also get the better cover art.

deepbrown

Snah said:
That's disappointing.

Hopefully GameSpot will surprise us by giving Uncharted a 9.5 to make up for the 7.5 mess they gave Ratchet.
No gamespot have to be different...hence the 9 for AC in comparison to IGN and 1up. Different gets you hits.

k79

Banned
deepbrown said:

Lets just say im quite curious to read the full review.From what i gathered from the Eurogamer review it's a non-issue, unless you're the hardcore adventure-puzzle kinda guy/girl.

I personally dont mind a game with softcore puzzles if it keeps that "always on the move" feeling, instead of halting a game to a stop where you have to really think about a solution in order to proceed with the game.

I'll reserve judgement on that after i played the full game.

deepbrown

k79 said:
Lets just say im quite curious to read the full review.From what i gathered from the Eurogamer review it's a non-issue, unless you're the hardcore adventure-puzzle kinda guy/girl.

I personally dont mind a game with softcore puzzles if it keeps that "always on the move" feeling, instead of halting a game to a stop where you have to really think about a solution in order to proceed with the game.

I'll reserve judgement on that after i played the full game.
I do prefer difficult puzzles...the ones in Heavenly Sword and GOW upset me. Puzzles at a POP level are fine for me. I think the Uncharted ones look around that level (yes I haven't seen them, but I get that feeling)

Plus I'll be turning off hints, and prob won't look at my lil book.

Top Bottom