• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

k79

Banned
deepbrown said:
I do prefer difficult puzzles...the ones in Heavenly Sword and GOW upset me. Puzzles at a POP level are fine for me. I think the Uncharted ones look around that level (yes I haven't seen them, but I get that feeling)

Plus I'll be turning off hints, and prob won't look at my lil book.

hehe ... the weaksauce "puzzles" in GOW didnt really upset me, so im sure 1up's puzzle critique wont effect me :p

deepbrown

Well done Naughty Dog, Well Done.
ruliweb_un_32_ps3.jpg

EW: Going back to what Christophe was talking about earlier, about starting from complete scratch, I would say that we didn't have a choice, but it's certainly not something we'd recommend anybody else try to do. We were put in that situation because the platform that made Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter was written in our own proprietary language, called Lisp, and I think we're probably the only team in the game industry that uses that. I'm pretty sure. And 99% of everything out there is on C++ and we knew that we were going to have to make the transition, and that meant flushing every line of code down the toilet and starting over. That meant that even if we wanted to put text on the screen just to get some debug stuff up, we had to write a font routine, you know...just everything from scratch. That really meant the first part of development went very slow.

CB: I think we had to also play catch-up on the shaders. That was one of the big differences from PlayStation 2 and 3. People who were working with PC were already used to it, but we had been doing PlayStation 2 for five years, and we had no idea what was going on with that type of technology, so we had to catch up first. And I think we even went above that, because the lighting and the shaders we have in the game are well...within more than just catching up. So, that went really well.

That's something else. I mean, I know they're Naughty Dog and all. But the fact that they had to build it entirely from scratch, ditching their programming language (which from what I've read they were awfully fond of) and "catching up" with those fancy pants pixel shaders the Xbox/PC guys had been toying with over the last half decade... And all they did was crank out a benchmark graphics engine with an innovative animation system and a great playing game to boot. Who does that?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
deepbrown said:
I do prefer difficult puzzles...the ones in Heavenly Sword and GOW upset me. Puzzles at a POP level are fine for me.
Deepbrown, I think God of War 1 & 2 (you're talking about that GoW, right?) definitely had more complex puzzles than HS. I'd say on par with PoP: SoT probably, and better than PoP: WW for sure. Remember the circular water puzzle in GoW2? Or the one with laser beams from the eyes on the statue? Or the one with huge crossbow in GoW1? Nothing of that complexity in HS or PoP: WW.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
Deepbrown, I think God of War 1 & 2 (you're talking about that GoW, right?) definitely had more complex puzzles than HS. I'd say on par with PoP: SoT probably, and better than PoP: WW for sure. Remember the circular water puzzle in GoW2? Or the one with laser beams from the eyes on the statue? Or the one with huge crossbow in GoW1? Nothing of that complexity in HS or PoP: WW.
Please don't kill me...I've never played GOW2

Ok...I'm still alive. But being a fan of POP...the puzzles in GOW were a big let down. There were some great ones in POP...involving platforming as part of the puzzle. Eg the library one (inspired by TR) was great. "Nothing of that complexity in PoP: WW." Tut tut. That whole game was a big puzzle Marcs...trying to open that door with the waterfalls etc...was genius.

Arthursw1

Finally i got to play the demo last night and i have to say OMG this game is a day one purchase indeed; textures, gameplay and animation is awesome, PS3 GOTY believe :D

deepbrown

From the Eurogamer reviewer

"Of course, it's all blind speculation to say this or that couldn't be done on another system, but I did say it "makes me wonder" rather than a statement of fact.I await a 360 game to appear that looks as good as this, basically. They just upped the ante."

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
deepbrown said:
From the Eurogamer reviewer

"Of course, it's all blind speculation to say this or that couldn't be done on another system, but I did say it "makes me wonder" rather than a statement of fact.I await a 360 game to appear that looks as good as this, basically. They just upped the ante."

JB1981 am cry.

deepbrown

Eurogamer reviewer:
All I'll say regarding the demo is that my first impressions of the game were broadly in line with everything Kiigan is saying. But that just goes to show how wrong first impressions can be, because halfway through the game I couldn't believe how much my opinion of the game had evolved, from mildly impressed but with serious reservations to realising it was one of the best of the year thanks to one 'wow' moment after the other.

ND said they were trying to create wow moments...they win :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
deepbrown said:
That whole game was a big puzzle Marcs...trying to open that door with the waterfalls etc...was genius.
Hmm, I didn't look at that in that way I guess. I think in WW it was too obvious what to do, it was just relatively tough to do it. It was a skill puzzle of sorts. But definitely play GoW2, some great "WTF am I supposed to do now" kind of puzzles there. I actually may have spoiled one of them for you a bit, so don't think too hard over what I said or re-read it, better to forget my previous post if you can :\

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
Hmm, I didn't look at that in that way I guess. I think in WW it was too obvious what to do, it was just relatively tough to do it. It was a skill puzzle of sorts. But definitely play GoW2, some great "WTF am I supposed to do now" kind of puzzles there. I actually may have spoiled one of them for you a bit, so don't think too hard over what I said or re-read it, better to forget my previous post if you can :\
Too obvious like pushing a cage into some fire to open a door? Putting puzzle pieces together to make a rectangle to get a necklace? COME ON. I'm sure GOW2's puzzles are better. And don't even talk to me about GOW's platforming...double jump - peh.

Well if i say I've forgotten it already it implies I don't really read your posts in much depth lol, or that's I'm dim.:lol

Wollan

However, amidst a sea of titles this year that pointedly make arguments for what games should evolve into, from moral relativism, to blockbusters with fleshed-out online experiences, to bending the space-time continuum for the promise of baked goods, Naughty Dog's third-person action game is a breath of fresh air.

The PS3 has received a good share of some solid games this year, but any gamers who own the console truly owe it to themselves to make Uncharted part of their library. In a sea of great first person shooters, you won't get a better action game this year

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
deepbrown said:
Too obvious like pushing a cage into some fire to open a door? Putting puzzle pieces together to make a rectangle to get a necklace? COME ON. I'm sure GOW2's puzzles are better. And don't even talk to me about GOW's platforming...double jump - peh.
You sure that stuff was in second PoP (and not in third, that I didn't play yet)?. I finshed WW, admittedly hated it for it's combat and overall style, but I just don't remember any good puzzles in it.

RavenFox

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
That's something else. I mean, I know they're Naughty Dog and all. But the fact that they had to build it entirely from scratch, ditching their programming language (which from what I've read they were awfully fond of) and "catching up" with those fancy pants pixel shaders the Xbox/PC guys had been toying with over the last half decade... And all they did was crank out a benchmark graphics engine with an innovative animation system and a great playing game to boot. Who does that?
Amazing isn't it. That why Gabe gave them the Nod as the best team out there to run code on Cpu's like cell.

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:
You sure that stuff was in second PoP (and not in third, that I didn't play yet)?. I finshed WW, admittedly hated it for it's combat and overall style, but I just don't remember any good puzzles in it.

POOP2 was glitchy as hell too, ran into the fatal bug right before the end boss and had to start all over again, pissed me off totally which is why I have little confidence in ass creed being good. Naughty Dog has always been afw, so I don't know why some people doubted this game so much. >:|

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Uncharted's visuals are the first thing that will likely dazzle you. You're not going to see a better-looking game on the PS3 this year

Cutscenes weave in and out of the game seamlessly, so that narrative flows into gameplay without missing a beat. Someone at Naughty Dog even had the foresight to implement pause-able cinematics, a wonderful touch that's too often forgotten in games. The amount of care and detail placed in the game's voice acting and animations shows;

Sounds really good.

BeeDog

AltogetherAndrews said:
I just noticed that you can skip the whole demo intro and get straight into playing. They weren't shitting about the lack of load times, were they?

Indeed, it's such a relief playing the demo after playing either The Witcher or Heavenly Sword with their long-ass load times.

Timbuktu

Doc Evils said:
Any gueses what Edge might give it?

I'm guessing 8. (6-7 for Assassin's Creed in comparison.) Their previous impressions were a bit negative, but was probably with an older build and was in line with other publications.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
AltogetherAndrews said:
I just noticed that you can skip the whole demo intro and get straight into playing. They weren't shitting about the lack of load times, were they?
yeah the lack of loading in this game is impressive. I hope all PS3 games can look at what ND has done and replicate it. Perhaps Sony should incorporate some of the streaming technology from ND into the Edge SDK set.

I think evolution should get the tech first. Motorstorm 2 with no loading should be heaven.

Doc Evils

PistolGrip said:
Edge had were pretty harsh on the title but I think they will give it a 8-9.

really?

Not surprised, considering every first party game they review they do keep mention how dissapointing PS3 exclusives are.

Steroyd

PistolGrip said:
yeah the lack of loading in this game is impressive. I hope all PS3 games can look at what ND has done and replicate it. Perhaps Sony should incorporate some of the streaming technology from ND into the Edge SDK set.

I think evolution should get the tech first. Motorstorm 2 with no loading should be heaven.

Is that...possible!? o_O

Top Bottom