• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Steroyd said:
Is that...possible!? o_O
If they incorporate it into the PS3 SDK, there should be no excuse. Developers would be resposible then and if all first party games have them it may push even Third Party guys to improve their shiat or be critized.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SolidSnakex said:
So people are ok with prerecorded cutscenes as long as it gets rid of loading entirely?
Hmmm...

It depends on how much of an impact it would have. In the case of Uncharted, I noticed that the demo loads immediately as you can skip the cutscene and jump right into the game.

I prefer seeing things done in realtime as even slight artifacts can bother me somewhat. Still, the video in Uncharted seemed very well compressed, so I don't think it will be a huge issue.

quetz67

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
So people are ok with prerecorded cutscenes as long as it gets rid of loading entirely?
as long as I dont even notice. the point here is that the cutcenes use the exact same assets as the game and if prerecording them guarantees an even more fluid experience, it is not only OK but just the obvious and right choice

mintylurb

So, I finally got around to playing the demo. Although the game's graphics are quite nice, frequent tearing especially when there are more than 2 enemies was rather distracting. Oh, vsync where art thou..;/

deepbrown

mintylurb said:
So, I finally got around to playing the demo. Although the game's graphics are quite nice, frequent tearing especially when there are more than 2 enemies was rather distracting. Oh, vsync where art thou..;/
play it at 720p not 1080i.

PistolGrip said:
Edge had were pretty harsh on the title but I think they will give it a 8-9.

I am actually expecting EDGE to score it higher than I would normally assume due to eurogamers review that probably has no bearing on it whatsoever but I am feeling good today.

Out of curiosity what games this year has EDGE scored and have they ever given a 10 to something.

deepbrown

BruceLeeRoy said:
I am actually expecting EDGE to score it higher than I would normally assume due to eurogamers review that probably has no bearing on it whatsoever but I am feeling good today.

Out of curiosity what games this year has EDGE scored and have they ever given a 10 to something.
DId you read their preview? Think they gave a 10 to Halo3

deepbrown said:
DId you read their preview?

No I gather it was pretty bad but in all honesty the first couple builds seemed to let everyone down and definitely werent all there yet. How long ago was the preview.

deepbrown said:
DId you read their preview? Think they gave a 10 to Halo3

Ahhhhh god really?
Thats disappointing they arent a tough critic they are just a super finicky one.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
dark10x said:
Hmmm...
I prefer seeing things done in realtime as even slight artifacts can bother me somewhat. Still, the video in Uncharted seemed very well compressed, so I don't think it will be a huge issue.

I don't understand why, I don't like pre-rendered stuff when it looks WAY WAY different from gameplay. To me this ruins the experience. Uncharted looks close enough to gameplay to me where it doesnt' bother me and if they can further reduce loading\processing time then more power to em.

dark10x said:
Hmmm...

It depends on how much of an impact it would have. In the case of Uncharted, I noticed that the demo loads immediately as you can skip the cutscene and jump right into the game.

It seems like something that could become more common as this gen goes on for this exact reason. According to ND they aren't doing anything in hte cutscenes that they don't do during gameplay, so it doesn't seem like much of an issue. Especially when you consider how much it benefits the gameplay.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The only thing I don't like about this game are the prebaked explosions that all look exactly the same no matter if you're blowing up a barrel or a jeep. I'm use to seeing dynamic explosions and nice physics with debris flying everywhere. They remind me of explosions you would find in a strategy game or Planescape Torment. I also don't see what this game is borrowing from RE4. If anything it's more akin to Tomb Raider and analog aiming (in any game) is really starting to look and feel dated and clumsy but I guess that can't be helped with this game.

tinfoilhatman said:
I don't understand why, I don't like pre-rendered stuff when it looks WAY WAY different from gameplay. To me this ruins the experience. Uncharted looks close enough to gameplay to me where it doesnt' bother me and if they can further reduce loading\processing time then more power to em.

Oh no....I better go get some advil.

tinfoilhatman

BruceLeeRoy said:
Oh no your back....I better go get some advil.

I guess thats what I get when I try and say somthing nice, believe it or not I'm excited about this game(after playing through the demo a couple more times) I'm trying to determine if i can just walk in to EB and buy it on Thur\Firday or if I should preorder.

This looks to be my Idiana jones fix for 07

Forsete

Blimblim said:
Well, that was fast. Just got the approval for our videos, so here they are:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5511_en.html

First 10 minutes part 2. 2 explorations videos, 2 shooting videos, one CQC video. I'll add one more that should please you guys a bit later :)

MP4/Xvid versions are encoding of course.

About those vids.. is the frameloss due to the game, capture process or.. my PC?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SolidSnakex said:
If it lets them roll over music and audio from cutscene to the game like they are doing, I actually welcome that. Can't really see artifacting on my TV (plasma be blessed), and audio handling like that is an actual material advantage to game, rather than some superficial feeling of "completeness" of knowing that something non-interactive runs in realtime.

That said, if they can do this audio thing and seamless switch from cutscenes to game all in realtime, and make cutscenes a bit interactive at that (like moving camera or something) that would be even better.

tinfoilhatman said:
I guess thats what I get when I try and say somthing nice, believe it or not I'm excited about this game(after playing through the demo a couple more times) I'm trying to determine if i can just walk in to EB and buy it on Thur\Firday or if I should preorder.

Im glad your excited but lets keep the conversation on that if possible..:D

Chiggs

Gold Member
I just got back from a 3 week vacation the other day, so I'm a little behind on things here. Anyway, I just downloaded the demo for Uncharted, and I'm finding it pretty difficult (even on lower settings). Anyone else having that issue? Or do I just suck at it?

Loudninja

Wollan said:
Here's another action scene (not the demo):
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_5341_en.html

Yeah, thats a great one, great music

I just got back from a 3 week vacation the other day, so I'm a little behind on things here. Anyway, I just downloaded the demo for Uncharted, and I'm finding it pretty difficult (even on lower settings). Anyone else having that issue? Or do I just suck at it?

DOnt worry, you get better, just keep playing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Systems_id said:
Anyone notice the shipping date on EBs website has changed to 11/16? Is it possible we're getting the game on Saturday?
Doubtful. They had date as 11/15, and now they're just probably pushing it back day by day.

SolidSnakex said:

Why does it matter? It's not like the game experience changes if it's real time or not. The consistent style and look between both keeps you immersed, so the medium in which it's presented does not effect anything.

Why are you asking this question?

Chiggs said:

I found it damned near impossible during my first try, but I've come to the conclusion that this was because I was playing it like Gears. Play it more like Rainbow but add a fast moving action element and 360 degree character motion.

tinfoilhatman

jeremy_ricci said:
The consistent style and look between both keeps you immersed, so the medium in which it's presented does not effect anything.

As long as this is the case all future games should handle cutscenes in this fashion.

mintylurb

PistolGrip said:
many of us do not get tearing at all. Could you try and take the 1080i option off from the video settings. Could also just be tv diffrences.
you mean my tv's video setting? I suppose I'll give that a try once I get home, although I'm not quite sure if such setting is even present. ;d And if you mean my ps3's video setting then 1080i is already unclicked.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I found it damned near impossible during my first try, but I've come to the conclusion that this was because I was playing it like Gears. Play it more like Rainbow but add a fast moving action element and 360 degree character motion.

So Andrews have you been playing the demo some more whats your updated consensus?

Elhandro

AltogetherAndrews said:
This has also been mentioned before, but the demo has by far the best action music I've heard in a game.

Did you play Halo, I mean the drums, Really. I hate to make comparisons but you really need to play more games if you think this game is at the top with best action music.

Regardless, This game will be got. F' Assassins creed, Uncharted is my action game of the momment with Mass Effect (hopefully) game of the Year.

The demo was great fun, memories of the First Syphon filter. And the graphics are outstanding but not the best Ive seen this gen.

BruceLeeRoy said:
So Andrews have you been playing the demo some more whats your updated consensus?

I finished it last night, and I don't know if it's because I've been playing COD4 and gotten used to a more careful approach to combat, but it actually clicked now. I still have trouble with the movement; neither normal nor inverted feel natural, for some odd reason. But in the moments where the combat flows, it's awesome. And the enemy reaction to being shot or even just shot at is great.

tanod

when is my burrito
Shaheed79 said:
I also don't see what this game is borrowing from RE4. If anything it's more akin to Tomb Raider and analog aiming (in any game) is really starting to look and feel dated and clumsy but I guess that can't be helped with this game.

You don't have an endless flood of ammo, so you have to play conservatively.
There's no auto-aim so you have to be really precise with your targeting.
The enemies are aware of where your aiming and shooting and your location.

Those three things make the gunplay feel a lot like RE4 to me.

Firewire

Banned
Guys the release is the 19th, Sony stated this 2 days ago, this is just someone looking at old info on the EB computer system again. Don't trust this shit, if Sony or Naughty Dog announce a new date I'll believe them not what EB's screwed up computer system says.

Elhandro said:
Did you play Halo, I mean the drums, Really. I hate to make comparisons but you really need to play more games if you think this game is at the top with best action music.

I've played a shit ton of games in my day, and none of them have action music this good and this pulse pounding. No, not even pretentious old Halo.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
mintylurb said:
you mean my tv's video setting? I suppose I'll give that a try once I get home, although I'm not quite sure if such setting is even present. ;d And if you mean my ps3's video setting then 1080i is already unclicked.
yeah I meant on the PS3s. oh well i guess u are stuck with clipping :(

AltogetherAndrews said:
I finished it last night, and I don't know if it's because I've been playing COD4 and gotten used to a more careful approach to combat, but it actually clicked now. I still have trouble with the movement; neither normal nor inverted feel natural, for some odd reason. But in the moments where the combat flows, it's awesome. And the enemy reaction to being shot or even just shot at is great.

It seems a lot of people are having to get used to its pace especially coming off something like COD4.

Top Bottom