• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

The Chef

PistolGrip said:
dd2e597787b674a9b0f7dfa42feca48f.jpg

The wonderful world of Bravias ;)
yes thats me in my tiny NYC apartment

You need to hide those wires Pistol.
Wall mount Bravia = awesome.
Wall mount Bravia with cables handing down = not so awesome

Dante

Yeah I got a Brav also.

There really isn't any tearing, and like I mentioned earlier if there is it's weird it kinda starts at the very top or bottem and then seems to fix itself, kinda hard to explain, but it's not like Vsync issues i've seen in the past, and again it's VERY rare.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dante said:
Yeah I got a Brav also.

There really isn't any tearing, and like I mentioned earlier if there is it's weird it kinda starts at the very top or bottem and then seems to fix itself, kinda hard to explain, but it's not like Vsync issues i've seen in the past, and again it's VERY rare.

Me got brav as well rawr.
angry.gif

The equal of anything? :lol

And jesus fucking hermes at this:

"Uncharted isn’t destined to be a classic; I don’t think there are enough new ideas here to put it in the genius category."

That's right, only the brand new can be considered classics. Fuck you critics, because you suck.

SolidSnakex said:
When did reviewers suddenly start caring about whether or not a game is original?

When they ran out of other things to complain about? The review mentions one flaw with the game itself, yet apparently the nothing new is enough to keep it below 9.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
GameInformer said:
It’s a fun, fast, and memorable thrill ride, and perhaps the closest video games have come yet to approximating the experience of an interactive summer blockbuster.

:D Works for me.

AltogetherAndrews said:
When they ran out of other things to complain about? The review mentions one flaw with the game itself, yet apparently the nothing new is enough to keep it below 9.

It just seems really odd. They just handed out a 10 to CoD4 (and i'm not taking a shot at the game as I love it) and it's hardly original. I hate the obsession some have with games being original. Most of the best games released in a generation aren't original. They just take an existing formula and try to perfect it.

deepbrown

SolidSnakex said:
When did reviewers suddenly start caring about whether or not a game is original?
Ever since they found all FPS games were the same and should be marked down for lack of originality....OH WAIT

AltogetherAndrews said:
The equal of anything? :lol

And jesus fucking hermes at this:

"Uncharted isn’t destined to be a classic; I don’t think there are enough new ideas here to put it in the genius category."

That's right, only the brand new can be considered classics. Fuck you critics, because you suck.

HAHA I love when Andrews gets riled up I laughed my ass off at that line.

AltogetherAndrews said:
You know, I really hope this game has a real ending. I'm tired of the cliffhanger bullshit, give me a satisfying ending.

Yeah no kidding I loved some R&C but come on man.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
The Chef said:
You need to hide those wires Pistol.
Wall mount Bravia = awesome.
Wall mount Bravia with cables handing down = not so awesome
Its illegal and a fire hazard according to the people who mounted it :( I could do it myself but I didnt have the tools at the time and now I'm just lazy ;(

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
steve said:
Excellent score. GI is usually the media outlet that closest matches my opinion on games, so I'm happy with this.
your going to love Assasin's creed then ;)

SONY is letting me down with the moneyhats. If you spend 20Million on a game whats a little gif to reviewers for their hard work like other publishers do.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SolidSnakex said:
I guess some feel it's OK if the sequel to something is relatively unoriginal, more so than a brand new IP.
I think it's obvious that Uncharted is copying some of the popular stuff made so far, but it's also bringing a lot of new to the table. At the very least making a kind of game that's just not that common these days should be lauded.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
SolidSnakex said:
It just seems really odd. They just handed out a 10 to CoD4 (and i'm not taking a shot at the game as I love it) and it's hardly original. I hate the obsession some have with games being original. Most of the best games released in a generation aren't original. They just take an existing formula and try to perfect it.
Same shit happened with Resistance. Same not original excuse. I am afraid just like resistance was in 2006 this will probably be most underrated game of 2007

Basch

steve said:
Seems to me PS3 games are getting reviewed on a different scale than everything else. Or is it just me?

I don't think the world has quite warmed up to the system yet. I sure did with mine, and I just got it yesterday. :D This game I bet will do wonders. Time to turn the tide!

Oh yeah, more reminders. If you are reading this thread and don't have a PS3, get one. K-Mart has two 20% off coupons for this and next week that will go towards the highest priced item of your next purchase. I got my 80 Gigabyte for around $400. The 40 Gigabyte will be close to $300 (without tax obviously). The flyer with the coupons can be found in the pharmacutical department.

Uncharted isn’t destined to be a classic; I don’t think there are enough new ideas here to put it in the genius category. However, this is game that is very sure of its identity and does the things that it set out to do very well. It’s a fun, fast, and memorable thrill ride, and perhaps the closest video games have come yet to approximating the experience of an interactive summer blockbuster.

The problem with GI's conclusion is that Crash Bandicoot had very few new ideas as well but the vast majority of people would call it a classic PlayStation title. What defines a game as "classic" and "genius"?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
steve said:
Seems to me PS3 games are getting reviewed on a different scale than everything else. Or is it just me?
Not so much a different scale as it is that they don't benefit from padding.

Greg

SolidSnakex said:
Despite some questionable graphics, CoD4's multiplayer alone is worth the 10.

That being said, fuck original games... any game can be original by throwing in pointless additions. God of War 2 remains my game of the year and it did absolutely nothing off the wall... it just took a solid formula and worked it around a badass setting. That's it.

Reviewers dock points for lack of originality, but the flaw is they assume that if the game included original elements, it would be fun.

The Chef

PistolGrip said:
Its illegal and a fire hazard according to the people who mounted it :( I could do it myself but I didnt have the tools at the time and now I'm just lazy ;(

Still a great lookin display ;)

Greg said:
Despite some questionable graphics, CoD4's multiplayer alone is worth the 10.

I wasn't really taking a shot at CoD4 and I don't disagree with the 10 it was given. But I don't see how originality can be an issue with one game and not with another. Either make it a universal theme or don't use it. And the point they made about it not being classic material because it doesn't bring enough new ideas to the table is a big WTF.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PistolGrip said:
I believe that only applies to the power cord, BTW. you could still run the A/V cables in the wall.

Dante

PistolGrip said:

You can buy covers at Best Buy.

the_id

Eurogamer review is actually quite informative. and they gave credit to the graphics. didn't expect a 10 from them but a 9 is fair enough. the comment on Uncharted on the x360....oh god...fanbois! :lol :lol :lol

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Guide to rating AAA PS3 Exclusives
* Deduct point if it copies the best of other games. Not orginal enough.
* Underplay graphics and overplay rare clipping and pop-in ignored with every other game.
* Deduct point if not multiplayer even on RPG and aventure games
* If it does have multiplayer, Ignore the fact that you get lagless gameplay and dont have to pay for it.
* Complain that custom soundtracks is not a feature.
* Complain how Rumble would have been great.
* If too many features, complain about a identity crysis
* Always deduct an hour from the games length but if its really long then dont bother mentioning it.
* If rumors that the game will be released on another platform, make sure to mention it with a ;) at the end.
* If SONY Loyalist complain, play it off with "people have different opinions live with it!" or "it wasnt a bad score, what are you bitching about"
* For extra credit: Make sure you rate another mediocre game in the same issue with the same score. while you LOL as the fans create 30 page threads and you get free press.

Guide to other console exclusives
* Ignore all faults you accuse PS3 titles to rub it in on the SONY fanboys.
* thats it, enjoy the game

Loudninja

the_id said:
Eurogamer review is actually quite informative. and they gave credit to the graphics. didn't expect a 10 from them but a 9 is fair enough. the comment on Uncharted on the x360....oh god...fanbois! :lol :lol :lol

Like I siad , they have the best one so far

Basch

the_id said:

Oh no, sounds like Game Informer has screwed this one up pretty badly. What happened to the quality stuff? Hopefully, they get better. :D By the way, what's taking the other review sites. I thought there was an embargo on the reviews. With IGN posting their's, the others have to follow shortly.

steve

Banned
PistolGrip said:
Guide to rating AAA PS3 Exclusives
* Deduct point if it copies the best of other games. Not orginal enough.
* Underplay graphics and overplay rare clipping and pop-in ignored with every other game.
* Deduct point if not multiplayer even on RPG and aventure games
* If it does have multiplayer, Ignore the fact that you get lagless gameplay and dont have to pay for it.
* Complain that custom soundtracks is not a feature.
* Complain how Rumble would have been great.
* If too many features, complain about a identity crysis
* Always deduct an hour from the games length but if its really long then dont bother mentioning it.
* If rumors that the game will be released on another platform, make sure to mention it with a ;) at the end.
* If SONY Loyalist complain, play it off with "people have different opinions live with it!" or "it wasnt a bad score, what are you bitching about"
* make sure you rate another mediocre game in the same issue with the same score. while you LOL as the fans create 30 page threads and you get free press.

Guide to other console exclusives
* Ignore all faults you accuse PS3 titles to rub it in on the SONY fanboys.
* thats it, enjoy the game

Well I'm glad it's not just me then.

Top Bottom