• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

TEH-CJ

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I think Uncharted has the edge in terms of lighting quality because they're using HDR and self-shadowing everywhere, Killzone 2 probably does more light sources. Uncharted has the edge in facial animations, although Mr. Fucking Convoy is still afw.
Indifferent2.gif

Haha true :p

AAK

It is really hard to compare the 2 games, but I'll use gifs of where both games truly shine, and I'll let everyone decide which one is more technically superior:

4knruc3.gif

vs

unchartedenvironments2.gif
4q8rigj.gif

53gh06a.gif

vs

6f67tky.gif

Greg

Sorry, but the blood in Killzone sells me - even if the game fails hard, I'll still enjoy it.

...and another thing... I've seen all of these videos where Drake is on the edge of a cliff, boat, etc. - are there borders protecting him, or can you just jump right off the edge?

When I get to the spot on the 2nd picture down, I'm jumping right the fuck off the cliff and enjoying the (beautiful) ride down. :lol

Greg

Wollan said:
Uncharted will hold the torch safe and then pass it over to Killzone 2 when it comes around.
I'm going to shit my pants when I see KZ2 in a different environment, especially considering how much they are pushing the whole weather control the Helghast have.

Snow and KZ... make it happen.

Basch

Greg said:
Sorry, but the blood in Killzone sells me - even if the game fails hard, I'll still enjoy it.

...and another thing... I've seen all of these videos where Drake is on the edge of a cliff, boat, etc. - are there borders protecting him, or can you just jump right off the edge?

When I get to the spot on the 2nd picture down, I'm jumping right the fuck off the cliff and enjoying the (beautiful) ride down. :lol

From what I have heard, you can fall off whenever you want. Maybe not so much the boat since there are rails. But maybe, if you deliberately stalled and just let the enemies wail on you, you could get knocked off the ship. Kinda like how Drake did it. Just reverse the roles. :D

dralla

I just got an email from Amazon telling me the game is going to ship early! w00t! [pre-ordered it weeks ago]

wowfactor

Banned
Greg said:

Hey, the blood in Gears of War is pretty good too.

AAK

Greg said:

Wollan said:
Uncharted will hold the torch safe and then pass it over to Killzone 2 when it comes around.

I guess I am the only one who thinks Uncharted is superior. I honestly think the only the only console game that has come close UDF was the RE5 trailer but that is years away.

Snah

Banned
Yeah Uncharted and Killzone 2 are impressive showcases for the PS3.

Killzone 2 looks a bit better, if only because it has a lot of activity within the background itself. Uncharted is a bit more 'static', but still looks incredible.

I also think Killzone 2 is doing a bit more in terms of environmental effects and motion blur, which gives it more of a 'cg' appearance in the movements and explosions.

Watching the killzone 2 trailer still gives me goosebumps. Probably the best unveiling for a game ever.

Basch

AAK said:
I guess I am the only one who thinks Uncharted is superior. I honestly think the only the only console game that has come close UDF was the RE5 trailer but that is years away.

You're not alone. I agree as well. Uncharted has better texturing, lighting, and animation. Technically, I think Uncharted edges out Crysis even. Regardless, Uncharted, Killzone 2, and Resident Evil 5 all look to be shaping up into good games. A matter of fact, through 2007 and 2008, I might add we're getting a bit spoiled. So many great games!

And is it just me, or does the character models in Killzone 2 seem a bit fat? :D

Ashhong

Wollan said:
If this would mean Ratchet early then insta-cum.

Maybe just a day early? The game did get pushed up from the 20 to the 19th didnt it? Which means in stores on Tuesday instead of the usual Wednesday, awesome!

Wollan

There was a aspect error with the KZ2 presentation it was said by Guerrilla during E3 but I'm not sure if that's what you've been seeing. Anyways, they've been extremly carefull considering equipment and functionality within the Killzone world so maybe it's unusual seeing a sci-fi game where they have fully equipped vests with equipment pockets hanging everywhere, tubes, rations, ammo..etc.

Wollan

Snah said:
I wonder when we'll see more of Killzone 2...hopefully soon.
They have to right? Could they really go until next year before showing anything.
The unveiling was the most epic thing in recent memory and there are 30min gameplay videos on the net post Leipzig but people are hungry for more.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Basch said:
You're not alone. I agree as well. Uncharted has better texturing, lighting, and animation. Technically, I think Uncharted edges out Crysis even. Regardless, Uncharted, Killzone 2, and Resident Evil 5 all look to be shaping up into good games. A matter of fact, through 2007 and 2008, I might add we're getting a bit spoiled. So many great games!

And is it just me, or does the character models in Killzone 2 seem a bit fat? :D

Hmm.. :p

wallpaper021920x1080yr4.jpg

Basch

Wollan said:
There was a aspect error with the KZ2 presentation it was said by Guerrilla during E3 but I'm not sure if that's what you've been seeing. Anyways, they've been extremly carefull considering equipment and functionality within the Killzone world so maybe it's unusual seeing a sci-fi game where they have fully equipped vests with equipment pockets hanging everywhere, tubes, rations, ammo..etc.

Yeah, I thought about that, and it would make sense. But to me, they just look a little bulky: even in their animations. Not a problem for me, though. So long as they don't make it seem like a cheesy horror movie where I'll try to run from the crazy machine gun killer but somehow the guy can outrun me and club my poor little old skull in. You know I could never understand those stupid concepts anyways. :lol

Snah

Banned
My guess is that we hear something in December after the big PS3 titles have had some time to settle.

Either that or early next year.

I need to see a new level.

Kittonwy

Banned
AAK said:

I think Uncharted is hitting more technical benchmarks than Killzone 2, we'll see how Killzone 2 shapes up when it finally ships but until then Uncharted is teh king on teh PS3 both visually and gameplay-wise rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Remember, though, KZ2 is doing what it's done with just 4 SPUs. Wait until the unlock TEH POWAH of the other two!

Basch

Justin Dailey said:
I'm really glad you posted that picture...It made me notice that his teeth aren't separated and they don't have rounded corners. Oh well...saves me $60.

So I take it I'm worth $60. :lol

Madman

AAK said:
We haven't seen much of Killzone. It really can't be compared.

Snah

Banned
Yoboman said:
Stop comparing Uncharted to Killzone. Uncharted will actually be good

Uhh..

They will both be amazing. Anyone person that isn't picking up both is going to be missing out.

dralla

checked the OP, didnt see this. review'd

"Some games I want to give a score, this is one of them, it promotes gaming as an interactive adventure and an art form, broadening what is possible on a gaming platform. For this alone it deserves acknowledgement, the fact that it controls so well and is very fun just compounds this to make it a great title in gaming history. It has it’s flaws but its ambition and quality features far out weigh the few issues. Naughty Dog has my permission to abstain from making cartoon games in the future to concentrate on cinematic titles such as this. Dust off the PS3 and get ready to jump around."

http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2007/11/04/uncharted-drakes-fortune-review-ps3/

Snah

Banned
gay for drake?

"Nathan Drake is the type of guy that makes the ladies weak at the knee. His arms are tanned and his sleeves are rolled up to show off his muscular forearms. His broad back stretches the fabric of his t-shirt taut and when wet the smooth expanse of his stomach is visible rising out of the waistband of his tight jeans that clung suggestively to his thighs and his firm, tight buttocks. Tall dark and incredibly handsome, his rugged profile is enhanced by his smouldering intense gaze as he wipes the smudge of soot off his strong manly chin……….. I digress."

Yoboman

Snah said:
Uhh..

They will both be amazing. Anyone person that isn't picking up both is going to be missing out.
Give me one reason to have faith that Killlzone will be a AAA game like Uncharted and we'll talk

Kyoufu

Yoboman said:
Give me one reason to have faith that Killlzone will be a AAA game like Uncharted and we'll talk

Aside from the fact that its the most amazing game to be shown on the PS3? Hmm...

Basch

Yoboman said:

One thing that I have always enjoyed in games is how intense they can make them. Uncharted and Killzone 2 are sure winners in that respect. :D Plus the art styles in both are oh so good. Besides Killzone 2 is like Gears of War and Resistance's man child!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
FirewalkR said:
3 days till the demo! :(

Aaawwww Yeah! I forgot about that completely since I have been playing Ratchet and Clank and Team Fortress 2 a lot this will be one hell of a PSN Update indeed.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Yoboman said:

I could make an amazing game if someone gave me 30 mill :lol

but seriously Guerrila have matured alot as a company i think and show alot of potential..even with killzone 1, i just think they were just too ambitios with that hardware in mind.

but after playing killzone liberation and seeing how amazing killzone 2 looks, not to mention they have alot of talented people working for them now and support from sony and Naughty dog..and a 30 mill budget to boot, i have Great faith.

Basch

By the way, can someone bring up that gif when Drake knocks out a pirate, spins around with shotgun in hand, and pops another pirate a few feet ahead. Dynamic motion blur and depth of field for the win! Now that is how it should be done.

I would have done it myself but there is just too many posts by us uber fan geeks.
:lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Snah said:
gay for drake?

"Nathan Drake is the type of guy that makes the ladies weak at the knee. His arms are tanned and his sleeves are rolled up to show off his muscular forearms. His broad back stretches the fabric of his t-shirt taut and when wet the smooth expanse of his stomach is visible rising out of the waistband of his tight jeans that clung suggestively to his thighs and his firm, tight buttocks. Tall dark and incredibly handsome, his rugged profile is enhanced by his smouldering intense gaze as he wipes the smudge of soot off his strong manly chin……….. I digress."

He is the first male game character with the nicest rear-end.

Basch

neojubei said:
He is the first male game character with the nicest rear-end.

Don't say such things! Now all the man-lovin' Cloud fans will be all over this place.
Who can resist superbly pointy and pixely fatty deposits.
:D

Oh wait, I see where this is going. Uncharted turned video game bathing suit contest, begin! I sense an incoming of bishounen game character pictures. :lol Quick, back to topic before its too late!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
That "first 10 mins" video was awesome, you can tell Amy Hennig definitely is part of this game. Too bad she cannot finish the Legacy of Kain storyline, sigh.

Basch said:
Don't say such things! Now all the man-lovin' Cloud fans will be all over this place.
Who can resist superbly pointy and pixely fatty deposits.
:D

Oh wait, I see where this is going. Uncharted turned video game bathing suit contest, begin! I sense an incoming of bishounen game character pictures. :lol Quick, back to topic before its too late!

There is just something sexy about a well fit guy in a t-shirt and tight jeans.

dralla said:
checked the OP, didnt see this. review'd

"Some games I want to give a score, this is one of them, it promotes gaming as an interactive adventure and an art form, broadening what is possible on a gaming platform. For this alone it deserves acknowledgement, the fact that it controls so well and is very fun just compounds this to make it a great title in gaming history. It has it’s flaws but its ambition and quality features far out weigh the few issues. Naughty Dog has my permission to abstain from making cartoon games in the future to concentrate on cinematic titles such as this. Dust off the PS3 and get ready to jump around."

http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2007/11/04/uncharted-drakes-fortune-review-ps3/

Holy crap, sounds like he wanted to give it a 10/10 pretty bad.

Can anyone tell me if the game is tearing free and locked at 30fps 99% of the time? I guess I can find out for myself this week when the demo comes out but I don't want to wait.

Top Bottom