• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Im Waiting for Gametrailers

The last two years i've agreed with them on most reviews

but hell im sold on that game already:D

Steroyd

BruceLeeRoy said:
What is the deal with the writing in that? The way it reads it seems like it should be getting a 9 or higher not the 8.5.

That's been the case of all reviews I read, Eurogamer creamed their pants over Uncharted the only criticism was that it was a wee bit short the whole thing read like a 10/10 review.

Erebus

Taken from PSU

How does the animation system and graphics in Drake's Fortune benefit from the Cell and SPU's?

Christophe Balestra: One of our first goals when we started Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was to push what's been done in animation for video games. We developed a brand new animation system that took full advantage of the SPU's. Nathan Drake's final animation is made of different layers like running, breathing, reloading weapons, shooting, facial expression, etc; we end up decompressing and blending up to 30 animations every frame on the SPU's.

And this is just for Nathan Drake; we have a lot more than that when you add the NPC's and enemies.

The core engine for Drake's Fortune was built from the ground up. How does the engine itself come to utilize and take advantage of the PlayStation 3's core architecture and features?

C. Balestra: The main thing about the PlayStation 3 is the Cell processor and more specifically the SPU's. We are only using 30 percent of the power of the SPU's in Uncharted. We've been architecting a lot of our systems around this and we were able to take full advantage of that power. A big part of our systems is running on SPU's: scene bucketing, particles, physics, collision, animation, water simulation, mesh processing, path finding, etc. For our engine, the cool thing about having the SPU's is the fact we can minimize what we send to the RSX (the graphic chip), it allows us to reject unnecessary information and get the RSX to be very efficient.

Are there any specific elements, aside from graphics and animations, which could not be done on any other platforms or been a huge difficulty in accomplishing?

One of the things I really like about the PlayStation 3 is the combination of the Blu-ray and the hard drive. Without the Blu-ray the game wouldn't have fit on a disc, for example the audio for the different languages won't fit on a DVD. We're only using the hard drive as a cache, the game doesn't need to be installed, but the fact the hard drive is on every PlayStation 3 helped our streaming technology dramatically.

We are constantly streaming animations, level data, textures, music and sounds. It would have been impossible to get this amount of data at that speed to memory without the hard drive. And of course on top of that we use the SPU's to decompress all this data on the fly.

When looking at the size of games, are you happy that Sony provided Blu-ray built in with PlayStation 3? And to tag along with that, how big in Gigabytes is Uncharted currently standing at?

As I said earlier, we couldn't have done Uncharted without the Blu-ray, at least at the quality we wanted to make it. To get such high-resolution textures and movies, a Blu-ray was indispensable to achieve the graphic quality of Uncharted. We fill the disc at 91 percent and it's optimized, meaning we don't duplicate any data. That includes all our game data, sounds, 7 spoken languages and 102 minutes of movie.

Talking about movies, I wanted to mention they are pre-render using our engine on the PlayStation 3. The only reason we did this was to eliminate any loading time before or after a movie and make our memory management easier.

Hope it's not already posted:D

Wollan

102 minutes of video (~60min game cutscenes, ~40min behind scenes material)

Also, for the new page:

IGN 9.1
EuroGamer 9
Gametap 9
Gamespy 9
GameInformer 8.75 & 9
1up/EGM: 8.5

TTP 9
Portuguese Max Console mag 9
Danish website 9.5

Firewire

Banned
Wollan said:
102 minutes of Uncharted quality cut scenes *splooge*

Also, for the new page:

IGN 9.1
EuroGamer 9
Gametap 9
Gamespy 9
GameInformer 8.75 & 9

TTP 9
Danish website 9.5

Those are pretty good scores.

Greg

Wollan said:
10 minutes of Uncharted quality cut scenes, and 92 minutes of behind-the-scenes video extras...
Edited for what I hope he didn't mean...

1 1/2 hours of cut scenes like the one in the demo would be absolutely amazing... holy shit.

Wollan

~60minutes have been confirmed earlier.
But I didn't think about the extra material so yeah I'm sure now those extra 40minutes are for that.

quetz67

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I'm sorry but that is such bullshit giving ass creed a better score than something that is more polished and less repetitive.
I think the fighting in Uncharted is pretty repititive, it is just a question how much it bothers you

deepbrown

We need some tens...because all criticisms seem very minor so far, and we all know that a lot of reviewers see a games downfalls as negligible to the final score.

Dante

quetz67 said:
I think the fighting in Uncharted is pretty repititive, it is just a question how much it bothers you

I've never had a gunfight is the demo unfold in same manner. I'm not sure what you mean by "repetitive" The facty that they are all gunfights with melee options?

Greg

Wollan said:
~60minutes have been confirmed earlier.
But I didn't think about the extra material so yeah I'm sure now those extra 40minutes are for that.
Oh shit, yes - definitely a lot more than I thought would be included!

All my thoughts of a rental are slowly going away...

Firewire

Banned
deepbrown said:
We need some tens...because all criticisms seem very minor so far, and we all know that a lot of reviewers see a games downfalls as negligible to the final score.

I honestly think reviewers are scarred to give PS3 games 10's. Who knows why? Maybe the $800 swag bags would stop coming from MS or something. :lol

deepbrown

Dante said:
I've never had a gunfight is the demo unfold in same manner. I'm not sure what you mean by "repetitive" The facty that they are all gunfights with melee options?
It's a fact that you have guns that you have kill with people with...

Chiggs

Gold Member
That Game Informer review is awful. Then again, it is Game Informer. Love the layout of the magazine, not so much the writing.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Loudninja said:
So did you get use to Uncharetd yet buddy?

Yeah, I've become a lot more efficient in gunfights. You just can't go running around thinking you're Rambo.

Still a hard game. I don't think that's a bad thing, though.

Loudninja

Chiggs said:
Yeah, I've become a lot more efficient in gunfights. You just can't go running around thinking you're Rambo.

Yeah, you have to take your time thats all

Chiggs said:

Actually I'm having fun mixing firing on the run into the mix.

Firewire

Banned
Chiggs said:

I love it for that very reason! You have to use bullets effeciantly and risk your neck sometimes to get more rounds. I hate it when you play most FPS and you have 500 rounds from the start.

spwolf

Chiggs said:
That Game Informer review is awful. Then again, it is Game Informer. Love the layout of the magazine, not so much the writing.

any review that doesnt even touch the technical aspect of the game is piece of crap.
Anyone who has played pretty much any game (man, I remember BF1942 and its 4-5 minute loading times) will love streaming worlds with no loading whatsoever

How the hell do you manage not to mention load times?

I am still waiting for COD4 - how long is load in there?

Wollan

COD4 is pretty sweet because it hides the load times during the mission intro video (it also camoflagues the load bar in the mission intro video 'technicalities').

spwolf

Wollan said:
COD4 is pretty sweet because it hides the load times during the mission intro video (it also camoflagues the load bar in the mission intro video 'technicalities').

i am sure, but how long does it take? I know reviews said AC takes 5 minutes...

Greg

spwolf said:
i am sure, but how long does it take? I know reviews said AC takes 5 minutes...
30 seconds, tops - the way it mixes in your briefing with the load screen is great, and it never felt like they were trying to hide it either... so much shit is going on during the briefing screen that it really feels like there is no loading. Also, for a few of the missions, it goes from a map view and zooms in all the way down to your individual character, right into the gameplay.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Another example of me not agreeing with 1up. This whole season has been an utter mess with reviews from 1up.

This is the second time I say this but I won't repeat it, I don't have it in for them or anything. I've just lost interest in them.

My opinion is of course based on demo and videos, so it's a little bit ignorant but we'll see next week.

G-Bus

Banned
Mammothtank said:
Actually I'm having fun mixing firing on the run into the mix.

That's what i do and I'm finding it very enjoyable. More so than sitting behind cover trying to pick people off. Just run in guns a blazing and beat the crap out of who ever is closest. Of course duck behind some cover when things start to fade.

Mesijs

I just wrote the whole review for Gamer.nl. I only have to state the conclusions, the +es and -es and the final rating. We only use round marks and I'm doubting a lot what rating to give it.

Greg

Mesijs said:
I just wrote the whole review for Gamer.nl. I only have to state the conclusions, the +es and -es and the final rating. We only use round marks and I'm doubting a lot what rating to give it.
Hurry up and get the 7.5 out the way and take all the publicity from GS. :lol

xaosslug

Wollan said:
102 minutes of video (~60min game cutscenes, ~40min behind scenes material)

Also, for the new page:

IGN 9.1
EuroGamer 9
Gametap 9
Gamespy 9
GameInformer 8.75 & 9

TTP 9
Danish website 9.5

oh snap, where's TTP's review?! O_O

Firewire

Banned
Mesijs said:

Trust your heart!

10/10

deepbrown

Mesijs said:
A 10 Mesj. You know it's the right answer...look past the trees and to the pure gold. (a 10 because you know it's a 9.5 and not a 9.4)

calder

Greg said:
30 seconds, tops - the way it mixes in your briefing with the load screen is great, and it never felt like they were trying to hide it either... so much shit is going on during the briefing screen that it really feels like there is no loading. Also, for a few of the missions, it goes from a map view and zooms in all the way down to your individual character, right into the gameplay.
I barely even noticed the loading during my first play through, you definitely want to see all the excellent briefings and the cool map stuff.

On the second play through though... yeah I was tapping x. A few of the missions take at least a minute to load or more, but it's never horrible and you can at least still watch the cool interface shit going on.

deepbrown

Jtrizzy said:
Uncharted only becomes repetitive when you attack the set pieces the same way or from the same spot every time.
I feel it's the same in AC as well...it's only repetitive if you do the assassinations in the same way.

freezo

Kittonwy said:
I'm sorry but that is such bullshit giving ass creed a better score than something that is more polished and less repetitive.

but its the The First True Next-Gen Experience its on the box :D

Jtrizzy said:
Uncharted only becomes repetitive when you attack the set pieces the same way or from the same spot every time.
Wrong. The only thing repetitive about Uncharted is listening to yourselve say "WOWSOME" over the continous wave of orgasms that will submerge your body to a level of esctasy never felt before. After playing the demo I have no doubts this game will be awesome and that 1up fellates shitcocks - I can feel it deep down in my heart and smell it on the their breath.

Not Game(s) is my point. I'm a douche. No derailment intended.
By score alone it won't be able to top the other contenders.
Enjoy the game I know I will. Hell I had a blast with Just Cause.:lol

Mesijs

deepbrown said:
A 10 Mesj. You know it's the right answer...look past the trees and to the pure gold. (a 10 because you know it's a 9.5 and not a 9.4)

I don't think in 9.5's or 9.4's, only in a 9 or a 10. I will talk about it with my editor in chief and play the game some more (although I already completed it and playing it again) and then make my decision. My intention is to give it a 9 but my review sounds like a 10. Still have to think about what those ratings exactly mean, as I made our review ratings document myself. So it's a tough decisions, but right now I feel like giving it a 9. It's such an extremely great game, but I didn't have this 'pure classic' feeling I had with Mafia and Resident Evil 4, for example.

CitizenCope said:

this should be heaven for you then.

Loudninja

CitizenCope said:

did you jsut comapre Uncharted to Just Cause :0

Top Bottom