• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
the_id said:
Sony can't be bothered sending moneyhats to reviewers. us gamers matter first to them. rite? rite? rite?
If they are ballsy enough to copy multiplatform advertisement with single platform logo then they can definitely copy sending lots of gifs and charming journalist.

Politicans do it, why not console manufactures, and those journalist have way more integrity.

J-Rzez

steve said:
Seems to me PS3 games are getting reviewed on a different scale than everything else. Or is it just me?

Yes, some of the media outlets are really trying to put a fork in the PS3, for whatever reason I have no idea. The double standards is actually getting sickening and flat out disgusting anymore.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
AltogetherAndrews said:
When they ran out of other things to complain about? The review mentions one flaw with the game itself, yet apparently the nothing new is enough to keep it below 9.

And the Irony is that they gave Halo 3 9.75.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
PistolGrip said:
Guide to rating AAA PS3 Exclusives
* Deduct point if it copies the best of other games. Not orginal enough.
* Underplay graphics and overplay rare clipping and pop-in ignored with every other game.
* Deduct point if not multiplayer even on RPG and aventure games
* If it does have multiplayer, Ignore the fact that you get lagless gameplay and dont have to pay for it.
* Complain that custom soundtracks is not a feature.
* Complain how Rumble would have been great.
* If too many features, complain about a identity crysis
* Always deduct an hour from the games length but if its really long then dont bother mentioning it.
* If rumors that the game will be released on another platform, make sure to mention it with a ;) at the end.
* If SONY Loyalist complain, play it off with "people have different opinions live with it!" or "it wasnt a bad score, what are you bitching about"
* For extra credit: Make sure you rate another mediocre game in the same issue with the same score. while you LOL as the fans create 30 page threads and you get free press.

Guide to other console exclusives
* Ignore all faults you accuse PS3 titles to rub it in on the SONY fanboys.
* thats it, enjoy the game

Damn the really sad thing about that its true man and it freaking blows.

calder

By now I just assume that knocking a game for lack of "innovation" is just a way for lazy reviewers to avoid having to actually think about the real reason they aren't completely happy with a game. Rewarding a game for doing something truly new is of course a great and wonderful thing, but the sheer arbitrary nature of docking games for not being "different enough" baffles me.

Bioshock is a prime example, it's a game that I loved and that scored extremely well and yet not one single credible argument can be made that it is in even the slightest fucking way innovative, but did that prevent it from getting a raft of (admittedly baffling) perfect scores? Of course not. The only innovations COD4 has are in the MP, and they aren't "new" ideas so much as "new to this series". The bulk of the game is not just familiar, it's been done EXACTLY 3 times already in the series.

Now, if you're an optimist like me you might try to be charitable and think that the reviewer just didn't have time to fully break down the game enough to truly articulate their opinions about it and so just took the easy way out and said "uh, it's not new enough or something" so they'd have something simple to list in the CONS box on the review template. But I'd love to hear reviewers explain why they think game y needed to innovate while games z, x and v didn't, because some games are celebrated for taking established gaming ideas and putting it all together very well (Bioshock) while other games are docked for merely taking established gaming ideas and putting them together very well.

Bah. This shouldn't be clogging up a game thread, and I'm sure not saying the reviews are bad just because they mention innovation. It's just something that's long irritated me, mainly because I think the reviews that fall into that trap would be *better* criticisms if they ignored the easy out and instead tried to look deeper.

calder said:
By now I just assume that knocking a game for lack of "innovation" is just a way for lazy reviewers to avoid having to actually think about the real reason they aren't completely happy with a game. Rewarding a game for doing something truly new is of course a great and wonderful thing, but the sheer arbitrary nature of docking games for not being "different enough" baffles me.

Bioshock is a prime example, it's a game that I loved and that scored extremely well and yet not one single credible argument can be made that it is in even the slightest fucking way innovative, but did that prevent it from getting a raft of (admittedly baffling) perfect scores? Of course not. The only innovations COD4 has are in the MP, and they aren't "new" ideas so much as "new to this series".

The most bizarre thing about the reception of Bioshock is that it was, despite ample evidence to the contrary, hailed as a groundbreaking, pioneering game. I think Bioshock fell in the same trap there, of a critic not being able to quite know what to do with it, but in that case they erred on the side of generosity. I have a feeling that a lot of critics were baffled by references to literature and philosophy, and in some cases afraid to be looked upon as unwashed and simple if they dared criticize something that they suspected might be a nudge above their own abilities to reason. No such luck for the highly polished action game.

Kittonwy

Banned
Elhandro said:
MGS2 theme is a close second, That was great back in the day. Something MGS4 still has me questioning.

And Im going to have to disagree with eurogamer review, GeOW still has the graphical edge, at least for me. I think its the cheorographing of the camera and the detail in the character models are just on another level. But uncharted has wonderful use of color so I can see how most people would think its better.

And I still dislike the use of melee in this game. The way it animates is pretty cool but its worthless if you have ammo. Just to make my point more succint, in GeOW when you chainsaw a dude, you had a window of invunrablity. In Uncharted your still getting pegged by enemies. I know which is more releastic but as a game this pretty much breaks the melee for me.

In games like Dead to rights melee had a function, to disarm guards but really this is more just for style, unless I have missed some hidden function

Actually in Gears you're still vulnerable, if you're shot you have to rev up the chainsaw again and it takes awhile, Uncharted's melee is actually better in that you still have a chance if you miss your punch. It would be stupid to be meleeing out in the open anyway, being invulnerable is just letting the player to cheap out, it's GOOD to make the player isolate an enemy with melee.

I think everyone who is upset with the BS Game Informer will publish should write in a letter. At least we'll get some interesting responses from Game Informer as to why they suck so hard (or why they think they don't). I'm sure we could get some members of GAF published in the magazine.

mintylurb

AltogetherAndrews said:
The most bizarre thing about the reception of Bioshock is that it was, despite ample evidence to the contrary, hailed as a groundbreaking, pioneering game. I think Bioshock fell in the same trap there, of a critic not being able to quite know what to do with it, but in that case they erred on the side of generosity. I have a feeling that a lot of critics were baffled by references to literature and philosophy, and in some cases afraid to be looked upon as unwashed and simple if they dared criticize something that they suspected might be a nudge above their own abilities to reason. No such luck for the highly polished action game.
Or it's just possible that these reviewers are just giving what the majority of their readers want to read/hear.

steve

Banned
jeremy_ricci said:
I think everyone who is upset with the BS Game Informer will publish should write in a letter. At least we'll get some interesting responses from Game Informer as to why they suck so hard (or why they think they don't). I'm sure we could get some members of GAF published in the magazine.
But that's the thing, their Uncharted review is fine. As a standalone review, I had no qualm with it.

But when you compare it to the other reviews they've done for other games on the 360, it seems like they are more prone to judge the PS3 software more harshly when it comes to an end score.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Innovation is overrated, unless its lacking is symptomatic of a general lack of creativity.

I don't necessarily think super mario galaxy is innovative because it's following the same general formula we've come to expect (with the exception of some wiimote experimental stuff), but the design and so on is endlessly creative and fantastic.

steve said:
But that's the thing, their Uncharted review is fine. As a standalone review, I had no qualm with it.

But when you compare it to the other reviews they've done for other games on the 360, it seems like they are more prone to judge the PS3 software more harshly when it comes to an end score.

That's what I'm going to write about. It seems only fair to inquire why Uncharted was penalized for combining two popular game mechanics (platforming and the cover / shooter) and throwing in a lush stylistic approach to an adventure game, but Halo 3, which, in a nutshell, is extremely similar to Halo 2...but was not hammered for the same faults.

I think, more than anything, it boils down to Game Informer not having a backbone. They simply don't have any one there who is brave enough to write an honest review. This carries over to multiple sites and publications though.

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
Actually in Gears you're still vulnerable, if you're shot you have to rev up the chainsaw again and it takes awhile, Uncharted's melee is actually better in that you still have a chance if you miss your punch. It would be stupid to be meleeing out in the open anyway, being invulnerable is just letting the player to cheap out, it's GOOD to make the player isolate an enemy with melee.

You are not vulnerable while chainsawing in Gears SP.

I cannot contain my excitement for this game I wish so badly it was coming out early!
I dont think I have looked forward to a game this much in a long long time.

Firewire

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
I cannot contain my excitement for this game I wish so badly it was coming out early!
I dont think I have looked forward to a game this much in a long long time.

Same here, last time I was so hyped for a game was GOW2.

Loudninja said:
Actaully 1up wote a great review, it sonds like it should be a 9

What is the deal with the writing in that? The way it reads it seems like it should be getting a 9 or higher not the 8.5.

Loudninja said:
I dont knoq dude, go read it , its wierd :lol

Yeah no kidding its like he loved the game but they told the reviewers alright remember we didnt get any sweet statues from ND or sony so the peak is a 8.5.

k79

Banned
1up said:
On par with these brainless puzzles are your enemies. They generally appear at trigger points, tend to crouch then pop out into your sights a lot (although they will use grenades to flush you out of hiding), and have that whole annoying Borg mentality -- if one spots you, they all know where you are, spatial positioning be damned.

Ladies and gentlemen ... we've got an conflicting statement here!!!

Jtrizzy

Maybe it really is the tv. I am playing this on a crappy Sanyo HDTV my roommate bought at walmart and I definitely notice some tearing. I also turn the brightness way up in game. It still looks awesome, and obviously better than the SDTV I would've been playing it on.

Right now I am just trying to resist buying COD4 to pass the time. I want Rock Band and of course Uncharted, but I don't have $300 for gaming this month.

cicatriz

Gears of War comparison prerequisites checklist

1.)Good graphics

2.)Any sort of cover system present

3.)PS3 exclusive

4.)UE3 game

5.)Gore

antiloop

Hey. I think this game is more original than for example Bioshock and COD4. But maybe that's just me....

I didn't like Bioshock though, but that's not the point here.

k79

Banned
Loudninja said:
dude do you see the user rating?4.7? for what?

The correct answer to that question would be a certain group of people who suffered a "my favourite console came in 2nd last gen" complex.

the_id

I'm highly anticipating the gamespot review. mainly because of the kind of shit they're going to write up and seeing AltogetherAndrews losing it at Gamespot again...

the_id said:
I'm highly anticipating the gamespot review. mainly because of the kind of shit they're going to write up and seeing AltogetherAndrews losing it at Gamespot again...

Ahem, I don't recall having "lost it" at gamespot ever. Well, the Amped 2 review boggled the mind, and the guy who did the video review for Advent Rising is a nasty person who should be punched in the teeth with a wet turd glove, but other than that? No. Now 1up or IGN, on the other hand...

nelsonroyale said:
the originality thing is a bit strange...I mean Halo 3 wasnt original in the slightest considering it was a refinement of course

There haven't been a ton of original games in general, yet there has been no shortage of high scores for games this year.

i just checked some othere score of 1up ?

so uncharted t 8.5, is inferior or just equal to : PGR4 ? Flatout ultimate carnage ? Virtua fighter 5 ? Skate ?

Those are not bad games, but come on, UDF is just in another league.
Who are they kidding ? at least they could give a clear and loud credit for the breakthrough in animation + gfx.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
On par with these brainless puzzles are your enemies. They generally appear at trigger points, tend to crouch then pop out into your sights a lot (although they will use grenades to flush you out of hiding), and have that whole annoying Borg mentality -- if one spots you, they all know where you are, spatial positioning be damned.

ummm, what?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Not true actually. If you melee them they can't warn their friends, if you shoot them or they see you from far OF COURSE they will all know you are there, they warn each it

Wollan

IGN 9.1
EuroGamer 9
Gametap 9
Gamespy 9
GameInformer 8.75 & 9
1up/EGM: 8.5

TTP 9
Portougese Max Console mag 9
Danish website 9.5

Top Bottom