• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It'll be like Ratchet all over again once the Gamespot review hits.
I can't freaking wait.

EDTI: lmfao @ the pros and cons...it seems that they just had to say some random shit to make it fill up space. Wow.

EktorPR said:
Ok guys, relax. Remember that most reviews have been very positive so far...a few "8"s will not bring this ship down.

I don't care about averages, really. But read these pros and cons, and tell me it doesn't look fucked up.

Loudninja

also had trouble with the game's platforming elements: it's just way too easy to navigate your way around the treacherous terrain

What the fuck does that even mean?He had trouble yet yet it way to easy? gamepro what the hell?

Fady K

AltogetherAndrews said:
I don't care about averages, really. But read these pros and cons, and tell me it doesn't look fucked up.

Exactly >_< Heck. Heavenly Sword got a lot of eights for crying out loud even with all its flaws.

calder

Didn't we agree to not go crazy with the conspiracy shit? Didn't we have that secret fanboy meeting where we all grudgingly accepted the fact that review score numbers aren't quite the Da Vinci Code moneyhat bias shit some of you want to think they are? ;)

I think some of the reviews of Uncharted are kinda goofy only because a few of them use reviewer logic I find frustrating and dubious. But taking a very positive review and getting upset about it simply because the number at the bottom of the page is marginally off what you want it to be is.. uhm.. I'm looking for a nice way to say "as fucking stupid as can be".

I do think in a month or so GAF is going to have a big long thread where everyone takes a deep breath and looks back at the last few months of gaming reviews - and the reactions to them - and wonders what the hell happened. :lol I honestly believe a few games that came early were rated so high for a variety of reason (not the least of which they were actually extremely good) that everyone went a wee bit batshit about numbers.

Wollan

GamesRadar said:
On the other hand, this being a PS3 game, there's some occasional visual tearing, but it's nothing too severe.)

exhausted.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
quetz67 said:
I think the fighting in Uncharted is pretty repititive, it is just a question how much it bothers you

It's over in fucking 5 seconds, it has a level of unpredictability because enemies don't always get hit by the follow up punch, and a whole lot of tension, and you're not doing it all the time because you're vulnerable when in melee, that's not repetitive at all, repetitive would be like fucking waiting for some stupid dumbfuck AI to attack you so you can counter and watch the same counter kill animation over and over.

RAWR.

Indifferent2.gif

calder said:
Didn't we agree to not go crazy with the conspiracy shit? Didn't we have that secret fanboy meeting where we all grudgingly accepted the fact that review score numbers aren't quite the Da Vinci Code moneyhat bias shit some of you want to think they are? ;)

I think some of the reviews of Uncharted are kinda goofy only because a few of them use reviewer logic I find frustrating and dubious. But taking a very positive review and getting upset about it simply because the number at the bottom of the page is marginally off what you want it to be is.. uhm.. I'm looking for a nice way to say "as fucking stupid as can be".

But we're not talking about scores.

Fady K

Metalmurphy said:
LTTP, why is everyone jumping on GI. What score did they give Uncharted?

8.75, second opinion is a 9. You should read the excerpt from their review. They didnt like it as much because it "wasnt original at all".

Metalmurphy said:

It has nothing to do with the score. People are questioning why they suddenly care about whether a game is original when they just handed out a 10 to CoD4 which isn't original at all.

Fady K

SolidSnakex said:
It has nothing to do with the score. People are questioning why they suddenly care about whether a game is original when they just handed out a 10 to CoD4 which isn't original at all.

Yes, exactly. Or Gears of War, or Halo 3, or Mario Galaxy. Not too original but very fun. Isnt it about how good a game is dammit??

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Aahahahwhat? :lol

The same guy just gave Assassin's Creed a fucking 10.

:lol

Gameradar should just pack it in and shut the fuck down right now rawr. ~_~

Seriously how many of these sites are moneyhatted by Ubi? JFC.

Indifferent2.gif

TEH-CJ

Banned
Something has to be done about this shit.

no matter how people try and spin, ps3 is hated apon by everyone..publicants and media included. thus they will do everything in there power to bring a ps3 game down so the mighty XCOCK! can come out on top.

i bet if sony released a game that played and looked like a 500 million$ budget game it would still get fucking criticized about something fucking stupid.

i am not overacting...its a fucking fact,

"On the other hand, this being a PS3 game, there's some occasional visual tearing, but it's nothing too sev"

nuff said.

/rant

Snah

Banned
Sigh...

I'm getting so fucking sick of reviewers handing out lower scores to games that take conventional, proven modes of gameplay design and simply refine and polish them.

..and then have the same reviewers handing out perfect scores to titles that "try something new" and fail miserably at it, like in Assasin's Creed.

What a shitload of fuck.

SolidSnakex said:

I see... did they complain about MP as well?

k79

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

8.75 and 9 (2nd opinion) ... bullshit reasons though.

More importantly Games Radar is taking a big fat dump on the ps3.Apparently beeing a ps3 game its not all too surprising games have tearing according to them :/

Maybe i should just go to fucking bed and hope for some non bullshit reviews 2morrow like the EG one.

Loudninja

The bad news is that Uncharted has its faults. First, the story, which centers on explorer Nathan Drake and his quest to hunt down a treasure that his ancestor Sir Francis had chased after, is sort of hokey and relies heavily on cliches.

The action can also be frustrating thanks to an overwhelming number of enemies that appear on-screen. The game's cover system is great but enemies will tear you apart the minute you peek your head out, and when your health is low, the screen goes black and white, which makes it that much harder to aim. It's also hard to see ammo when it's lying on the dense jungle floor, which is problematic since I was always running low on bullets.

I also had trouble with the game's platforming elements: it's just way too easy to navigate your way around the treacherous terrain. You'll constantly find yourself hanging by your fingertips from high ledges, but you can jump around like a hopped up monkey with a couple of button presses, which really takes away any sense of challenge. The environmental puzzles are also way too simple, and you're helped along by blatantly obvious things like explosive barrels that just happen to be sitting next to a tall pillar that you have to topple over in order to create a bridge.

Light at the End of the Tunnel
The good news is that these complaints are fairly minor and while Uncharted will frustrate you, it also has the capacity to be thrilling and fun. The game offers up some amazing visuals and the gameplay is perfectly paced. You're always doing something interesting, whether it's investigating ancient ruins, trading bullets with modern-day pirates, or skydiving out of a burning airplane. And even though I never truly bought into the story, I still wanted to help Nathan solve the mystery behind Sir Francis Drake's diary.

Uncharted reminded me a lot of an Indiana Jones movie in that both are fun and enjoyable romps that are just good enough to make you forgive their respective weaknesses. It isn't going to single-handedly pull Sony's bacon out of the fire this holiday season but it is definitely a title that PS3 owners can be proud to call their own.--Tae K. Kim

Worst review ever!How can you start a review off like that?and yes this is the FULL reivew! :lol :lol :lol

Fady K

AltogetherAndrews said:
You're expecting it to be that high? Temper your expectations a bit.

Im starting to consider that, seriously.

I cant believe Assassin's freakin Creed got a 9.0 there now that you look at their reviews. So what exactly is it about Assassin's Creed that earned it a 9.0 when supposedly, like Uncharted, the game has a framerate issue. Oh, and a supposedly dull story where its best part is in the first 5 minutes, repetitive gameplay after the first three hours, dumb AI, complex controls - but nooo - still 9s and 10s.

Salazar

Kaako said:
It'll be like Ratchet all over again once the Gamespot review hits.
I can't freaking wait.

The posts predicting /pathetically hoping GAF will explode over this or that are goddamn everywhere.

Fady K

Loudninja said:
LOOK AT THIS QUOTE FROM GAMEPRO

:lol :lol :lol

Ok, wtf at that. Too easy to navigate. You hear that Naughty Dog? Make navigation a little harder in your games next time. :lol

deepbrown

That gamepro guy needs to be sacked straight away. I bet he's not even paid - I expect he was just sent the game for free...that was his pay...and all in all he writes HALF A PAGE for a review, not mentioning ANYTHING in reference to the game. What a fucking waste of time, that's seriously the end peh.

NFS prostreet got 4.5 from Gamepro...

And Gamesradar with their 10 for AC...

-viper- said:
If this was a 360 exclusive I would love to see the scores for it.

It would probably get 9 to 10s consistently.

Well, it would probably go to the reviewers with a bonus $800 gift

lol j/k :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Loudninja said:
Worst review ever!How can you start a review off like that?and yes this is the FULL reivew! :lol :lol :lol

That review makes no fucking sense.

Challenging enemy AIs are bad.

Responsive platforming controls are bad.

Challenging gameplay is bad.

Story that are classic pulp fiction is bad.

Like wtf. Unbelievable.
Indifferent2.gif

Loudninja

Kittonwy said:
That review makes no fucking sense.

Challenging enemy AIs are bad.

Responsive platforming controls are bad.

Challenging gameplay is bad.

Story that are classic pulp fiction is bad.

Like wtf. Unbelievable.
Indifferent2.gif

:lol :lol :lol I dying over here

Feel weird that its Eurogamer with one of the highest scores for this game this time around

Not only thy but its well written unlike these

Kittonwy

Banned
deepbrown said:
That gamepro guy needs to be sacked straight away. I bet he's not even paid - I expect he was just sent the game for free...that was his pay...and all in all he writes HALF A PAGE for a review, not mentioning ANYTHING in reference to the game. What a fucking waste of time, that's seriously the end peh.

NFS prostreet got 4.5 from Gamepro...

And Gamesradar with their 10 for AC...

WTF?
Indifferent2.gif

I'm going to drink a few more beers now.
Indifferent2.gif

Snah

Banned
Fady K said:
Feel weird that its Eurogamer with one of the highest scores for this game this time around.

Eurogamer's review was also, consequently, the one that was written the best.

All of these other reviews from publications are pretty hilarious, though. Poorly written. Barely even a few paragraphs, and their criticisms are without merit.

Fady K

Snah said:
Eurogamer's review was also, consequently, the one that was written the best.

All of these other reviews from publications are pretty hilarious, though. Poorly written. Barely even a few paragraphs, and their criticisms are without merit.

My thoughts exactly.

YYZ

I think gamepro is saying the platforming bits are too easy, when in reality (lol), they should be a lot harder. How do you make platforming harder without it being endlessly frustrating. There's only so much you can do with platforming before making it rediculous.

The guy from IGN has it right in that he approached this game the right way. Not every game is made for the same fucking purpose and therefore shouldn't all be approached in the same manner, stupid reviewers.

antiloop

Indiana Jones type of story has almost never been used in a video game before me thinks? (oh well Tomb Raider?) Maybe he is thinking about some movie.

Top Bottom