• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
deepbrown said:
That gamepro guy needs to be sacked straight away. I bet he's not even paid - I expect he was just sent the game for free...that was his pay...and all in all he writes HALF A PAGE for a review, not mentioning ANYTHING in reference to the game. What a fucking waste of time, that's seriously the end peh.

NFS prostreet got 4.5 from Gamepro...

And Gamesradar with their 10 for AC...
That gamepro review was complete utter shit. He sounds like a 13yo fanboy who reviewed the demo. Really depresing that the gaming media is such complete nonsense.

Dante

AltogetherAndrews said:
For thinking that the developers deserve more competent criticism than the rot that these happy hobbyists with VIP passes, er, professional reviewers can deliver? Not really.

It's a good thing most people aren't bothered by the scores then, eh? Read the reviews.

the odd thing is for ME, Play has the best written reviews, but everybody considers them a laughing stock because of some of their scores, but if you want some nicely written reviews Play is one of the better choices IMO.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
AltogetherAndrews said:
For thinking that the developers deserve more competent criticism than the rot that these happy hobbyists with VIP passes, er, professional reviewers can deliver? Not really.

QFT.

deepbrown

Aren't we here to talk about reviews? And if there is no content to talk about in the reviews...then we should be honest, and the people who wrote them need to know that their job should be in jeopardy. And the more people say "well it's just a bad review" the more they get away with it.

Awntawn

-viper- said:
Reading GamePro's review has given me reason to believe that Microsoft have paid off some reviewers to purposely give poorer scores to PS3 games to not attract consumers to the games.
The moneyhats argument is quite ridiculous. It's always absurd to assume any sort of conspiracy theory going on no matter what subject matter you're talking about. This has more in line with how some media outlets write their reviews based on hype and popularity, and right now the popular opinion is that everything related to PS3 must always fall short. They're afraid that if they contradict this flow, they'll become labeled as Sony fanboys and lose integrity. Case and point -- Garnett Lee was flaming Shane up the ass in the latest 1Up Yours calling him a Sony fanboy despite the fact that he lists Mario Galaxy as his one and only candidate for GOTY, just because he is pretty much the only one in the entire crew who gives Sony credit where credit is due.

Quite simply, they don't want to be the ones associated with the Sony Defense Force (TM), and therefore they are afraid to give the PS3 exclusive games all the credit they deserve. If you still don't understand, here's a cruder way to put it: Game reviewers overscore games all the time in their sleep, but they are afraid to overscore PS3 games. Ultimately it creates a double standard.

That's my take at least, it's not that there's any malicious intent or anything, but it really is a bit amateur and unprofessional. It's not about you scored this game too low or this game too high, all we want to see is consistency, which has been blatantly absent as of late. I wasn't on the Nintendo side of the fence during the GC slump, so maybe it was this bad then too for a different side. I don't know. If it was, I understand now, it sucks, and it's definitely a problem with the media.

Loudninja

Dante said:
the odd thing is for ME, Play has the best written reviews, but everybody considers them a laughing stock because of some of their scores, but if you want some nicely written reviews Play is one of the better choices IMO.

yeah, people donwplay them to much, these other sites gave worst scores

calder said:
Oh by all means laugh/cry about poorly written 3 paragraph reviews that look like they had the intern take a whack at the game for a couple of hours because no one else could be bothered. There is no lack of just brutal "reviewing" going around that needs a good swift kick in the junk. I'm talking about the conspiracy shit that was bubbling up a few pages ago, some ppl here want to see moneyhats and platform bias when I think the generally awful state of game media and professional criticism is a less sexy but more likely culprit.

Yep. Although I can certainly believe that the sorry state of that sub-industry can result in some nitpicking for the sake of "getting" a company, I think it's really that simple; thse homebrew "journalists" aren't capable of doing their jobs in covering a medium this sophisticated.

spwolf

Dizzan said:
Yeah but it doesn't matter. You've played the demo and you LOVE it. Me also. I know Im going to have a blast with Uncharted and I couldnt care less what some douche at Gamepro says about it.

I just think you guys are over reacting. Gears got 8's. Halo 3 got 8's. Resistance got 8's. Even Zelda got an 8.

If he had listed those cons and gave it a 9 you guys wouldnt be complaining.

gamepro giving an 8 to an game is pretty much like Eurogamer giving it 6...

Dizzan

MINI Member
It's a
fucking awesome wowsome
game guys. No need to get worked up. The guys a dick, whatever.

You guys can become "professional reviewers" if you like. Just set up a website and get some hits. Call the games companies and they send you shit. It's not hard, and is the reason for shoddy journalism, but then you can give the reviews and comments You want to give. Every review is subjective.

Personally I would be bored shitless by Mass Effect but I would be called out by the fans of the game. Same as some people preferring Football over Baseball.

Loudninja

Dizzan said:
It's a
fucking awesome wowsome
game guys. No need to get worked up. The guys a dick, whatever.

You guys can become "professional reviewers" if you like. Just set up a website and get some hits. Call the games companies and they send you shit. It's not hard, and is the reason for shoddy journalism, but then you can give the reviews and comments You want to give. Every review is subjective.

Personally I would be bored shitless by Mass Effect but I would be called out by the fans of the game. Same as some people preferring Football over Baseball.

:D

Tag

Banned
I wasn't really blown away by the demo. It was okay... Too many releases (Rockband, Mass Effect) this next week to justify a purchase. Think I'll save this for the early months of 2008 when I have nothing to play.

Aladuf

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Sony swears it's not getting released early. They even had a blog entry about it.

hmm... well either way I'm checking my Gamestop that day, if I have the opportunity to get this game early then I'm definetly doing it!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Dizzan said:
Yeah but it doesn't matter. You've played the demo and you LOVE it. Me also. I know Im going to have a blast with Uncharted and I couldnt care less what some douche at Gamepro says about it.

I just think you guys are over reacting. Gears got 8's. Halo 3 got 8's. Resistance got 8's. Even Zelda got an 8.

If he had listed those cons and gave it a 9 you guys wouldnt be complaining.
We even gave IGN shit. Its a matter of integrity. If you say something negative about a game you better make sure its logical and true or else you are just disrespecting the whole industry and making this industry's media the laughing stock of Journalism.

the_id

AltogetherAndrews said:

QFT! and FIFTHED!

Aladuf23 said:
hmm... well either way I'm checking my Gamestop that day, if I have the opportunity to get this game early then I'm definetly doing it!

Hey it could always happen. As of late it seems like almost all games are getting an early release even if the company doesn't confirm it.

Aladuf

Banned
[CFD] El Capitan said:
Online only? Get it on Mon/Tue anyways it seems after shipping. Or are GS stores getting it on fri?

Thats what the guy who works there said, because when he mentioned it he caught me off guard so I asked him again and he said the store will get them in on Friday.

Big-E

PistolGrip said:
We even gave IGN shit. Its a matter of integrity. If you say something negative about a game you better make sure its logical and true or else you are just disrespecting the whole industry and making this industry's media the laughing stock of Journalism.

Agreed 100%.

Salazar

calder said:
I personally am saving all my vomited bile for the sub 5 score it's going to get from Edge, simply for the sheer pluck of a game being somewhat like Tomb Raider, but better. :lol

Just when I thought Uncharted fans had come to terms with Tomb Raider.

k79

Banned
the_id said:
QFT! and FIFTHED!

This thread goes too fast for me ...but anyway ... sixthed!

edit: ffs .... seventhed!

Games Radar said:
On the other hand, this being a PS3 game, there's some occasional visual tearing, but it's nothing too severe.

I still cant believe this is in a review.Unbelievable.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
GamesRadar said:
On the other hand, this being a PS3 game, there's some occasional visual tearing, but it's nothing too severe.)

This is just beyond fking shameful seriously. I expect this from Junior Gaf members but not someone getting paid. What the fuck is going on with the media. SONY who is handling your PR? This man should have no business reviewing a game. Is this how low our standards are?

SONY you should be making your phone calls right now.

calder

Sweet merciful Zeus, if you guys get me excited about the possibility of getting this game for the weekend and not having to wait 'til Tuesday
(loved those guys!)
only to end up having to wait after all I'll... mutter mutter mutter ultraviolence mutter....

careksims

the_id said:
Just a reminder to lurkers. we're not just bitching about the score. we're bitching about the quality of the reviews.

Oh I completely support the bitching of these reviews. It boggles the mind that these reviewers get paid for this shit.

I'll definitely give a call about UC at my GS on Friday. I hope it's true! That will rock.

calder

Salazar said:
Did you read that Edge preview of Uncharted? :lol It might as well have had "UPON RELEASE I AM GOING TO SCORE THIS GAME 3-5 NO MATTER WHAT" as the banner headline with "Count How Many Times I Reference Tomb Raider" as the subheading.

teiresias

You know, i haven't really read a full video game review in a while, but if people are seriously getting paid to produce the BS that is that Gamepro review, then the entire industry of "game journalism" deserves to die as soon as possible.

Kittonwy

Banned
Salazar said:

?
Indifferent2.gif

TEH-CJ

Banned
I borrowed my grandmothers mystical crystal ball today

and it revealed the following scores on gamerankings.

PS3

God of war 3 - 82%
Killzone 2 - 10%
Resistance 2 - 80%
GT5 - 84%
Uncharted 2 - 80%

X360

Halo 4 - 100%
Gears 2 - 96%
Mass effect 2 - 95%
PDZ 2 - 93%
Forza 3 - 95%

Bookmark this.

Synless

Wollan said:
So.. are you all going to check your local EB/GS stores for the game this Friday? You could actually get a hold of it.
I know I will be there to see I already have it payed in full and I hope to be one of the first to slap every reviewer in the face with it's graphic glory......9 out of 10 graphics fucking inbreds.......

FirewalkR

Synless said:
What the texture pop? it's in every next gen game so far CoD4, AC, Bioshock, they all have it.

In the demo the loading is extremely fast anyway, it doesn't last for more than 2 seconds. Might be because it's all in the hard-drive though.

Nostromo

AltogetherAndrews said:
From what I understand it sometimes happen right at the start of an area
Unless some of the shadow maps projected by the vegetation are precomputed (and this would explain how amazingly high res they are.. :) )and stored on disk also some goemetry is being streamed (observe like shadows casting over the rock get more detailed..)

Top Bottom