• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

quetz67

Banned
Do I get this right? The texture pop-in critizised is just the texture loading at the beginning of a level where they use low res stand ins to have the game continue without load times?

Or is there real constant texture pop in changing LOD?

Lince

Banned
I think it's more like Bioshock when you load a savegame and it takes a couple of seconds to get everything with the proper hi-res textures (both PC and X360 versions)

quetz67

Banned
Lince said:
I think it's more like Bioshock when you load a savegame and it takes a couple of seconds to get everything with the proper hi-res textures (both PC and X360 versions)
fine with me! if games really get knocked off points for stuff like that something is wrong

deepbrown

84222_med.jpg

84223_med.jpg

84224_med.jpg

k79

Banned
Basch said:
Yeah, fortune's with us. Yahoo! Games just reviewed the game. I'm all over this one; ain't nobody taking this away from me.

Find out what kind of gold ye' be seeking! 4.5/5.0

A lot of it is still being worked on evidently. I'm just that dang good. Look at those tentative scores! :lol

That's just the gamespy review again :lol Never really read yahoo reviews before, is that how they roll?

Anyhows ... at least it was refreshing reading (altho the same) a not inconsistent, poorly written review after the horror that was gamesradar/gamepro/1up.

deepbrown

neojubei said:
is that a code?
That's the result of the broken code. I've given in - I wanted you all to work it out for yourself. I will be removing the pictures soon...but the code breaking gives you these three cheats...

Pachimari

nelsonroyale said:
the cliched story is a bit of a funny one....90% of games have rather cliched stories, that still play out reasonably well in the arena....Halo, HS, WW2 games, hell even MAss effect seems like the story is quite typical Sci Fi...doesnt stop them from being quite interesting.... I have quite different expectations from game stories compared to movies and books...mainly because there is an element of role playing....you explore the story rather than simply observe it...I wonder if these reviews make comment on the atrocious stories that NG and Gears had...personally I would have marked those games down for that very same reason...reviews seem rather inconsistant, there needs to be a more established criteria
But there's really not that many surprises in the already cliched story to be found in Uncharted, that's kind of a little problem there..

deepbrown

You know I'd prefer a cliched story to a cliched bald space marine, with cliched dialogue. It's all about the delivery and the characters

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
deepbrown said:
You know I'd prefer a cliched story to a cliched bald space marine, with cliched dialogue. It's all about the delivery and the characters

Yeah, it's a good "adventure story" IMO. Cliched? Generally speaking, kinda, yeah, but definetly better than most videogame stories out there. It's like a little Indiana Jones story-wise really.

TEH-CJ

Banned
deepbrown said:
It's meant to happen you muppet! lol That's one of the lauded features of HDR...and how it's homed in on the viewing capabilities of the protaganist. It gradually lowers the brightness as you continue.

Oh lmao

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed..

Anastacio said:
But there's really not that many surprises in the already cliched story to be found in Uncharted, that's kind of a little problem there..

doesnt really change the fact of what I said though...ME will surprise and compel...but Halo etc dont really surprise at all...the story is adequate, but also cliched. Im just saying, its funny that they bring up cliched. Like I said, 90% of game stories haven't surprised me and have been cliched...didnt stop me from enjoying them given the medium however.

Hehe, you seem a bit down on the game after your initial enthusiasm, eh?

Pachimari

nelsonroyale said:
doesnt really change the fact of what I said though...ME will surprise and compel...but Halo etc dont really surprise at all...the story is adequate, but also cliched. Im just saying, its funny that they bring up cliched. Like I said, 90% of game stories haven't surprised me and have been cliched...didnt stop me from enjoying them given the medium however.

Hehe, you seem a bit down on the game after your initial enthusiasm, eh?
No, I completly agree with you. But seriously, the game HAS bad points but is so far still GOTY07. But this is not perfect, so people should not try to make it sound perfect, that's all I'm saying. I love Uncharted and it shouts quality on so many areas of the product. =)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Has anyone got those cheets to work in the demo (Or a full game? Guys with review copies?)

Look at the picture of sextant, the key and the looking glass, there's controller codes on them (R1, [], /\, X, etc...)

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
Has anyone got those cheets to work in the demo (Or a full game? Guys with review copies?)

Look at the picture of sextant, the key and the looking glass, there's controller codes on them (R1, [], /\, X, etc...)
I'm sure they only work in the full game. And apparently they change it up a bit...So I'm looking forward to trying them, because maybe, just maybe, reviewers should have taken them into account, depending on what they do.

Anastacio said:
No, I completly agree with you. But seriously, the game HAS bad points but is so far still GOTY07. But this is not perfect, so people should not try to make it sound perfect, that's all I'm saying. I love Uncharted and it shouts quality on so many areas of the product. =)

Hehe, I quite enjoyed the story of the jak games, ND seem to be able to instil their characters with a little personality...or at least colour, which makes the narrative enjoyable I think. If they can achieve that in Uncharted then I will be conent

spwolf

Anastacio said:

apsolutly... but it is all relative to other games of course.

Uncharted has really good movie-like presentation and story that is better than anything else on the market today (complete deal). Of course, it is not Oscar winning drama, just like Indiana Jones is not, yet that does not stop us being enthusiastic about the next Indy.

I think it is kind of silly to call it "cliche" when we have had less than a dozen properly done games with such movie-like quality.

And I agree that it is not perfect. Re: your not knowing how to grade it, here is the thing - I dont think I would have ever given any game 100% in general, or even more than 95%. Because all had some shortcomings (maybe Civ1 though).However at the same time, if it is the best of the year, then it needs to be rated the best of the year.

Some of these mags gave same ratings to Darkness (credible ones too) - which is really ridicilous, only few months later if you directly compare the two, there is astonishing difference between them and that needs to be recognized. Darkness is not an bad game, but I know TTP will agree that game is technically big mess. It is just one example.

Ending result will be that this will be GOTY for many reviewers (and many reviewers have called it such), yet it will be rated lower than 20 other games that came out this year. That is ridicilous. And that is what many people are complaining about - 8.5-9 is awesome score for any game, but 8.5-9 means top 30 of the year, which is silly.

Kittonwy

Banned
spwolf said:
apsolutly... but it is all relative to other games of course.

Uncharted has really good movie-like presentation and story that is better than anything else on the market today (complete deal). Of course, it is not Oscar winning drama, just like Indiana Jones is not, yet that does not stop us being enthusiastic about the next Indy.

I think it is kind of silly to call it "cliche" when we have had less than a dozen properly done games with such movie-like quality.

And I agree that it is not perfect. Re: your not knowing how to grade it, here is the thing - I dont think I would have ever given any game 100% in general, or even more than 95%. Because all had some shortcomings (maybe Civ1 though).However at the same time, if it is the best of the year, then it needs to be rated the best of the year.

Some of these mags gave same ratings to Darkness (credible ones too) - which is really ridicilous, only few months later if you directly compare the two, there is astonishing difference between them and that needs to be recognized. Darkness is not an bad game, but I know TTP will agree that game is technically big mess. It is just one example.

Ending result will be that this will be GOTY for many reviewers (and many reviewers have called it such), yet it will be rated lower than 20 other games that came out this year. That is ridicilous. And that is what many people are complaining about - 8.5-9 is awesome score for any game, but 8.5-9 means top 30 of the year, which is silly.

The Darkness isn't bad but oh hell compared to the Uncharted demo, the Uncharted demo completely destroys it. So many games are overrated but this one really had to earn all the 9s it got so far. This shit is so Indiana Jones, afw rawr. >:|

vpance

deepbrown said:
That's deliberate. That amazed me...that's Drake's eyes adjusting to the darkness, and then turning around to the bright light. That's how HDR should work.

Yeah I get that, but the problem is it doesnt readjust back to normal when he stays out in the open again.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Kittonwy said:
The Darkness isn't bad but oh hell compared to the Uncharted demo, the Uncharted demo completely destroys it. So many games are overrated but this one really had to earn all the 9s it got so far. This shit is so Indiana Jones, afw rawr. >:|

I think there are few games that can still stand after a confrontation with Uncharted. It does just about everything right, and then some. Based on the demo: this is why I game. To play THIS.

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:

Hurhurhur you said sextant.
Indifferent2.gif

vpance

deepbrown said:
It does :) Just carry on...it's harder to notice when it's light.

Really? That's good then. I only stuck around for about a minute or so and didnt notice it getting dimmer again but I'll try again tonight for sure :) But I do think it should readjust back faster though.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
-viper- said:
Any idea when Gamespot will review it? <_<
Well lets hope they are taking long because the review is based on playing the full game unlike Gamepro who apparently reviewed the demo

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
PistolGrip said:
Well lets hope they are taking long because the review is based on playing the full game unlike Gamepro who apparently reviewed the demo

Zing!:lol

No joke...i kinda wonder if they even did that....

Okay.....
Yet again I have played the demo and yet again for the first time since coming away from the MGS2 demo packed with ZOE this game just from that small snip it seems to be the game of the year from me.

Pretty ridiculous I know but the following situation proved to be the single most exhilarating thing I have experienced in a game this year:

I run into the 3rd area with the gates you can just kick down.
I grab my shotty aim up at the opening in the ruins where the guy runs and slides down I shoot him in the head right as he jumps and his momentum carries him far over me. The second guy falls to my left so I engage in a melee which is rather effective since being next to a wall he smashes the guys head into it and then stomps on him saying "eeeehh I feel a little bad about that" I turn around to the guys starting to bum rush me throw myself against cover and blind fire my shotty twice which slams into the guy and throws him over a boulder behind him leaving his back arched in a very painful post batman / bane fight. This leaves 2 guys near this pillar so I grab a grenade throw it over it manages to blow one guy out but the other one is still alive he goes to reload so I hop over the rock cover run up to him and do this flying kick taking him out immediately. Drake gets up and say "Phew" Phew indeed. Whats more amazing to me about what just happened is I have played that section so many times and it unfolds differently everytime I go in. What a absolutely amazing effort ND have accomplished.

spwolf

BruceLeeRoy said:
Okay.....
Yet again I have played the demo and yet again for the first time since coming away from the MGS2 demo packed with ZOE 2 this game just from that small snip it seems to be the game of the year from me.

Pretty ridiculous I know but the following situation proved to be the single most exhilarating thing I have experienced in a game this year:

I grab my shotty aim up at the opening in the ruins where the guy runs and slides down I shoot him in the head right as he jumps and his momentum carries him far over me. The second guy falls to my left so I engage in a melee which is rather effective since being next to a wall he smashes the guys head into it and then stomps on him saying "eeeehh I feel a little bad about that" I turn around to the guys starting to bum rush me throw myself against cover and blind fire my shotty twice which slams into the guy and throws him over a boulder behind him leaving his back arched in a very painful post batman / bane fight. This leaves 2 guys near this pillar so I grab a grenade throw it over it manages to blow one guy out but the other one is still alive he goes to reload so I hop over the rock cover run up to him and do this flying kick taking him out immediately. Drake gets up and say "Phew" Phew indeed. Whats more amazing to me about what just happened is I have played that section so many times and it unfolds differently everytime I go in. What a absolutely amazing effort ND have accomplished.

welcome to our world.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
BruceLeeRoy said:
Okay.....
Yet again I have played the demo and yet again for the first time since coming away from the MGS2 demo packed with ZOE this game just from that small snip it seems to be the game of the year from me.

Oh man i want to go home and play more!!

Kittonwy

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Okay.....

I tend to hang back a bit but yeah as you said you can play quite aggressively. >:|

Synless

~Devil Trigger~ said:
urgh, why is next week taking so long?
Eb told me friday it would be out....I hope to god they are not lying to me I want to get good time with it before mass effect.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Synless said:
Eb told me friday it would be out....I hope to god they are not lying to me I want to get good time with it before mass effect.

EB has done worse...I would like to play this weekend though...that would be choice.

Ragnarok10 said:
7000 posts before the game's been released. Can someone sum up?

Game interests gamers.
Demo creates obsessed fans.
EB/Gamestop may or may not receive the wrath of said obsessed fans.

Kittonwy said:
I tend to hang back a bit but yeah as you said you can play quite aggressively. >:|

But that is the absolute beauty of the game you can play it however you want and the AI will respond accordingly. When your rushing them and being successful in taking them down they start to hang back a lot more and try and shoot you safely from behind cover. If you hold back they start to advance with grenades a guy rushing you and one guy holding back to try and keep you still for the grenade to hit. Anyway can be successful but its so great that you can choose what that way is.

Synless said:

I called Gamestop and they told me the 20th :(

7000 POST!
Sticky this bad boy!

Top Bottom