• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Ok, everyone who has compared Uncharted and Killzone will be required to write a 500 word essay on why they are sorry and how they can improve their future posts.

jmd494

Bailey's Dad said:
Can anyone tell me if the game is tearing free and locked at 30fps 99% of the time? I guess I can find out for myself this week when the demo comes out but I don't want to wait.

The new trailers look smooth as butter. No tearing/framedrops even with enemies on screen.

A little tip: don't EVER use a demo to judge a game's framerate. This is something that is usually smoothed out at the end of a game's development...and demo code is usually very old.

G-Bus

Banned
Justin Dailey said:
The new trailers look smooth as butter. No tearing/framedrops even with enemies on screen.

A little tip: don't EVER use a demo to judge a game's framerate. This is something that is usually smoothed out at the end of a game's development...and demo code is usually very old.

I agree, but with this game you can. The demo was made after the game went gold. Something that should be done a lot more.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm not so much into shooter games, but the story in this game is intriguing. I know Amy Hennig isn't going to let this game be nothing more than pirates on an island. There is much more to unravel with this game. Hopefully it will be as good as an Indian Jones film.

Pachimari

Greg said:
Sorry, but the blood in Killzone sells me - even if the game fails hard, I'll still enjoy it.

...and another thing... I've seen all of these videos where Drake is on the edge of a cliff, boat, etc. - are there borders protecting him, or can you just jump right off the edge?

When I get to the spot on the 2nd picture down, I'm jumping right the fuck off the cliff and enjoying the (beautiful) ride down. :lol
I can pretty much confirm having played the first four chapters, that it is possible to fall of anywhere as long as there's nothing blocking you like on the submarine. Numerious times I fell down at the waterfall because I couldn't jump to the right place because of the fixed camera there, but it sounded great when he shouted: "ohhhh ohhh oohhhhhhhhh" and then suddenly it was all silent with a man at the bottom with a broken neck..

Justin Dailey said:

True but if the demo is rock solid then the final game should be.

Rolf NB

Kodiak said:
Ok, everyone who has compared Uncharted and Killzone will be required to write a 500 word essay on why they are sorry and how they can improve their future posts.
I word am have after compare game and other. Me sorry be for thing. People say thing bad and who say thing stupid. Did no know but now know and much shame. Is bad I see now. Can have forgive? Sorry? Oh hope can. Promise no be bad if can try now plz.

Loudninja

Anastacio said:
I can pretty much confirm having played the first four chapters, that it is possible to fall of anywhere as long as there's nothing blocking you like on the submarine. Numerious times I fell down at the waterfall because I couldn't jump to the right place because of the fixed camera there, but it sounded great when he shouted: "ohhhh ohhh oohhhhhhhhh" and then suddenly it was all silent with a man at the bottom with a broken neck..

Hey do I ask you this a couple pages back, but what do you wait the game from what you played.You know give a score for gameplay graphics and such please :D That would be alot of help for people on edge about the game

Basch

I don't know if this is old or not, but just in case some people have missed it. Over at the PlayStation Blog, a poster posed some questions regarding Amy Hennig's career history and thoughts on the game...

razu | November 2nd, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Hi amy,

People on TV, movies or even gamedevelopers normally dont impress me , but you are exception.
I am huge fan of legacyofkain series, finished all, got Jak3 just because of your direction, and looking forward to your next directorial project, i have huge expectations from Uncharted(not because its from Sony or ND but its under your command) and its looks really impressive uptill now.
I have been longing to ask some questions if you can answer

1. Who had written the actual dialogue of legacyof kain series, some say jenkins was responsible other say dyack?
Which part of LOKseries you have written(dialogues i mean)?

2. Do you consider games as art?

3. Is Uncharted SD optimized, i mean does it look average or bad on SDTV?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Wishing you goodluck for future projects.

Later, Amy replied with the following...

Amy Hennig | November 2nd, 2007 at 8:47 pm

Thanks, Razu — I can’t take too much credit, though! Uncharted is the sum of many talented people’s hard work! I myself am amazed at what the team has accomplished.

I’m glad you enjoyed the LoK series - I’ll try to answer your questions..

1. Different people were involved in the writing, over the course of the series. Denis and Ken wrote the story and dialogue for BO:LoK (the first game) - as Crystal Dynamics’ design manager, I worked with them on the game design and layouts. The story was pretty much done when I came aboard - they were just working on animating/rendering the cinematics.

I helmed the story/writing efforts on Soul Reaver, SR2, and Defiance — but I collaborated with lots of people (internally and externally). Paul Jenkins and I collaborated on SR2, and Carol Wolf worked with me on Defiance.

BO2 was developed by an entirely different team - I didn’t work on the story/dialogue at all (though I did need to sort of write around it when working on SR2 and Defiance).

Hope that clears things up! (Sorry to all the other folks on the board who couldn’t give a damn

2. Yes, I think games can be art. I’ve played some! We certainly put our creative hearts and souls into it.

3. Far as I’m aware, Uncharted looks fine on standard def. Looks better in HD, though

Thanks again for your words of encouragement!

There you have it: a few little tid bits on the people that are creating this amazing game. I wonder if we'll get something along these lines in the Behind the Scenes extras.

[Comment Directed to neojubei]
I just visited the Mass Effect thread not long ago, but immediately left when I saw a poster tearing into you for hoping the game wouldn't end up like an FPS. Wow, can't gamers just get along? I'll revisit the thread when things settle down. Hopefully, Mr. Nintendo/Cat lover will too. :D Maybe Uncharted will bridge the gaps caused by the console war.

Basch

G-Bus said:
I agree, but with this game you can. The demo was made after the game went gold. Something that should be done a lot more.

Do we know for sure it comes from the final build? All I remember them saying was that they have been planning the demo for a long time and decided to hold off until the end of the development cycle.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Basch said:
Do we know for sure it comes from the final build? All I remember them saying was that they have been planning the demo for a long time and decided to hold off until the end of the development cycle.

I think it mentioned in that said interview that it represents the final quality of the game.

so i dunno =/

Azsori

Basch said:

Yeah, they started work on the demo after the wrapped up everything and went gold. So the demo should be made from finalized code.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Azsori said:
Yeah, they started work on the demo after the wrapped up everything and went gold. So the demo should be made from finalized code.

That chick in your avy is smoking hot

if thats your GF i salute you good sir.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Azsori said:
I thought I read that they finished both at the same time but I could be mistaken.

Azsori

TEH-CJ said:
That chick in your avy is smoking hot

if thats your GF i salute you good sir.

Nope, that is Brazilian Supermodel Adriana Lima, most famously know from Victoria's Secret.

My girlfriend :lol , maybe in my wildest dreams.

tanod

when is my burrito
dralla said:
checked the OP, didnt see this. review'd

"Some games I want to give a score, this is one of them, it promotes gaming as an interactive adventure and an art form, broadening what is possible on a gaming platform. For this alone it deserves acknowledgement, the fact that it controls so well and is very fun just compounds this to make it a great title in gaming history. It has it’s flaws but its ambition and quality features far out weigh the few issues. Naughty Dog has my permission to abstain from making cartoon games in the future to concentrate on cinematic titles such as this. Dust off the PS3 and get ready to jump around."

http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2007/11/04/uncharted-drakes-fortune-review-ps3/

It's not really a major site and it sounds like a preview. I doubt he's even played final code.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn my anticipation for this game is at all time high now I cannot wait for the demo to come out, I really wished Sony wouldn't just update on Thursdays damn them but oh I shall endure that pain of the wait! :D

Pachimari

Loudninja said:
Hey do I ask you this a couple pages back, but what do you wait the game from what you played.You know give a score for gameplay graphics and such please :D That would be alot of help for people on edge about the game
I honestly won't give out scores to beta codes as it is not fair. But there should be no doubt, that people who like action/adventure games combined with platforming should go get it at day one.

Loudninja

Anastacio said:
I honestly won't give out scores to beta codes as it is not fair. But there should be no doubt, that people who like action/adventure games combined with platforming should go get it at day one.

Thats good enough :D thanks man

Pachimari

We should recieve the review copy today if I understood my boss correct, which mean I'll probably go play it all through sometime this week and perhaps post impressions if that's allowed.. but there won't be any spoilers without spoilertags, because there's nothing worse than ruining others experiences they have waited for, for a decade.

Costanza

Banned
What are the chances this ends up with an early release like R&C and Lair had? The 20th is already too packed with releases and I'd really like to get started on this before then.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Costanza said:
What are the chances this ends up with an early release like R&C and Lair had? The 20th is already too packed with releases and I'd really like to get started on this before then.
Already has, its coming on the 19th :p

FirewalkR

PistolGrip said:
Already has, its coming on the 19th :p

6fjl6au.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seriously, what happend to this thread? Or better yet, what will happen one hour before demo release?

Seiken said:
Seriously, what happend to this thread? Or better yet, what will happen one hour before demo release?

I'm not really sure but I can't wait to find out!

So is everyone doing ostrich impressions or what? I guess I'm just used to MGS fans poring over trailers and analysing every minute detail but every time I've tried in here I've been roundly ignored. It's cool if you want to 'preserve the mystery' or whatever but just let me know!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
freethought said:
I'm not really sure but I can't wait to find out!

So is everyone doing ostrich impressions or what? I guess I'm just used to MGS fans poring over trailers and analysing every minute detail but every time I've tried in here I've been roundly ignored. It's cool if you want to 'preserve the mystery' or whatever but just let me know!
You dont include images with your analysis. Remember the saying, Pics or it didnt happen!!!

I'm pretty sure we will have into full detail when the demo is out.

PistolGrip said:
You dont include images with your analysis. Remember the saying, Pics or it didnt happen!!!

I'm pretty sure we will have into full detail when the demo is out.

I generally can't post pics as my PS3 is my sole means of browsing the net. I'm not sure if I can save images from the browser and the criminal lack of copy/paste makes typing url's a real chore.

If I could post pics there would be one of the terrified pirate looking down at the ground from the latest trailer and the other would be the
concept art of Drake and Sully in the room full of giant spiders.

Pachimari

We just recieved the review copy as well, though my boss isn't home hihi =/
Can't wait to complete it, buy it then complete it again, then buy it again then complete it again and then do it again with rumble and then again to unlock everything.

Why don't they make merchandise now that I'm gonna buy all the versions anyway.. =(

Wollan

Even if SingStar releases this year I don't think they will be ready with the ads. Heavy marketing in Jan/Feb probably.

k79

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
If Singstar is going to get released this year that'll probably be the next game where they spend a lot of money for the marketing.

Put commercials on the likes of Mtv and during the commercials on idols and you'll have great sales.

Very excited to see those Uncharted commercials btw.This game is gonna be so awesome.

Kittonwy

Banned
Top Bottom