• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

TTP said:
I dont. Both frame drops and tearing are bad. The best solution is to lower the polygon count or the texture quality a bit. Like take away this rock here, that plant over there or have 3 enemies coming from behind the corner rather than 5.

Yeah but you <> most of the other gamers :p

If the screen tearing isn't that excessive i'd chosse it every day over worst framerate or textures, etc...

I have a hard time spotting tearing anyway so who cares. You have to be looking for it to notice it most times.

steve said:
I can honestly say I've never seen that in a game before that I can recall. Outstanding.
Floating bodies? Oo It's been done for ages. Like HL2 4 years ago

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Firewire said:

M3 / Marconelly! (Try a TRU near you) I got it!
Will do... but I doubt it. Richmond Hill, that's still Toronto Area, I'd imagine distribution is much better there.

TTP said:
I dont. Both frame drops and tearing are bad. The best solution is to lower the polygon count or the texture quality a bit. Like take away this rock here, that plant over there or have 3 enemies coming from behind the corner rather than 5.
When they can't or don't have time to optimize the engine any further, devs do that kind of stuff, but I guess they stop subtracting detail when they're happy with the framerate. It's just that in some cases some devs have different preferences over this detail/framerate balance than others.

Metalmurphy said:
Floating bodies? Oo It's been done for ages. Like HL2 4 years ago
I think what he's saying is that you can interact with characters even when they're dead. Like pushing them away while they're floating. Or you can see that Drake steps onto them when you walk over the bodies, he doesn't just walk through them. I still don't think that's an industry first or anything, but it does look very nice.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TTP said:
Ah, there you are. What's your take on the framerate in the full game, TTP?

Dante

Spoiler free, how are guys liking the story so far?

Also is there any chance at downloadable content for UC had ND commented on that?

kanugo said:
Videogamesplus started shipping the game today. Good news to all the importers out there.

Indeed they have, a few hours ago i checked their website and they still had it as 19th Nov, now it's in stock and I've received an email to say it's shipped.

justjohn said:
so i ordered mine yesterday, and i live in uk how long do you think i'll get it?

Judging on how fast Ratchet and Clank was delivered to me in the UK from Videogamesplus, you should have it as fast as 3 days after the email confirming it's shipped.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dark10x said:
Ah, there you are. What's your take on the framerate in the full game, TTP?

[Based on the review code]

Wish it was smoother but it's much better than Heavenly Sword and easly justified by the amount of shit on screen. At the end of the day, frame drops didn't bother me as well as they didn't with Ratchet and Clank. I think at some point I just got used to them. Frame drop occurance is high at the beginning of the game and goes down to almost zero level in the second half of the game. Last chapter is sadly back to "ugh" levels. But it's short anyway. So u dont suffer for too long.

On the other side, jetski / jeep sections frame rate was very bad IMO (mostly jetski tbh), not terrible, but bad enough to detract from the WOW factor in my eyes. I felt the need to finish them not cos I felt pushed by the challenge at hand, but because I couldn't stand those sections for more than 3 minutes. Good thing they are indeed short.

But overall it's not as bad as it sounds reading my words. I just hope for their next game ND keeps the graphic content level of detail as it is and just optimize, optimize, optimize the 3D engine. And maybe up a bit the environment interaction (
WHERE IS MY FLIPPING TABLE WITH GUNS AND RIFLES ON IT?
)

kanugo

justjohn said:
so i ordered mine yesterday, and i live in uk how long do you think i'll get it?
Usually, it takes 3 days to arrive. So, if your order has shipped today, maybe wednesday it arrives in Uk.

Kosma

Banned
kanugo said:
Usually, it takes 3 days to arrive. So, if your order has shipped today, maybe wednesday it arrives in Uk.

Could be monday though, because unlike the mailman, airplanes fly during the weekend.

Cool Just saw the early release in the title and got right on the horn with one of the two TRUs in my area. On hold right now while they check.

Kittonwy

Banned
TTP said:
[Based on the review code]

Wish it was smoother but it's much better than Heavenly Sword and easly justified by the amount of shit on screen. At the end of the day, frame drops didn't bother me as well as they didn't with Ratchet and Clank. I think at some point I just got used to them. Frame drop occurance is high at the beginning of the game and goes down to almost zero level in the second half of the game. Last chapter is sadly back to "ugh" levels. But it's short anyway. So u dont suffer for too long.

On the other side, jetski / jeep sections frame rate was very bad IMO (mostly jetski tbh), not terrible, but bad enough to detract from the WOW factor in my eyes. I felt the need to finish them not cos I felt pushed by the challenge at hand, but because I couldn't stand those sections for more than 3 minutes. Good thing they are indeed short.

But overall it's not as bad as it sounds reading my words. I just hope for their next game ND keeps the graphic content level of detail as it is and just optimize, optimize, optimize the 3D engine. And maybe up a bit the environment interaction (
WHERE IS MY FLIPPING TABLE WITH GUNS AND RIFLES ON IT?
)

I guess once you start looking for these things you become more and more sensitive to both frame drops and screen tearing. I didn't even know what these things are but now I kind of look for them now and it's definitely not a good way to enjoy my gameplay experience.

Loudninja

Kittonwy said:
I guess once you start looking for these things you become more and more sensitive to both frame drops and screen tearing. I didn't even know what these things are but now I kind of look for them now and it's definitely not a good way to enjoy my gameplay experience.

I still dont see none of this stuff, and it will stay that way.

Kittonwy

Banned
Nomnomnom does teh EB in Scarborough Town Center have teh game yet? Anyone checked? Me wanna this game so bad.
Indifferent2.gif

Firewire

Banned
Kittonwy said:

Exact same thing with me, didn't have a clue about this stuff, never looked at the games all that close. Then comes Gaf and someone mentioned God of War and tearing and bam it came close to ruining God of War 2 for me. I definitely enjoyed games more before I knew about this stuff.

Firewire

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Nomnomnom does teh EB in Scarborough Town Center have teh game yet? Anyone checked? Me wanna this game so bad.
Indifferent2.gif

M3 mentioned "Game Shack in the Atrium at Bay will have it tonight at 5:00 p.m."

Only other place I know thats selling it is the TRU in R.H but thats pretty far for you.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Firewire said:
Exact same thing with me, didn't have a clue about this stuff, never looked at the games all that close. Then comes Gaf and someone mentioned God of War and tearing and bam it came close to ruining God of War 2 for me. I definitely enjoyed games more before I knew about this stuff.
I can still tune it out, and for the most part I do, except when I decide or someone asks me to looks for it critically.

But yeah, I remember the first PS2 game I played (Ico) on a 20" tube TV with RCA cables - I couldn't believe how good it looked - what I now see as overall image softness/bluriness with the same setup, did't bother me for a second then. Actually, the first game that kinda bothered me was J&D (this kinda flickers... why... Ico and MGS2 don't flicker like this...) Then I switched to component, started researching why image looks the way it does on consoles etc. And yeah, sometimes I wish I never started researching that stuff so much.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
GAF: Some help...

I'm at the part where Sully and I just entered through a door that has sealed itself behind us. Sully lit up some gigantic statuette, but now I have no idea what to do here in this room. This is basically, the beginning of the game.

deepbrown

Stop talking about shipping and monkey balls. Talk about the game itselllf. Lots of interesting quotes from Evan on that Eurogamer story..

joesmokey

Hell yeah, just picked mine up at Gamecrazy (Columbus)!!!

Before calling to see if my preorder was in, I called around to two other EBs, one had it in, one didn't.

Three amazing games in one week, holy shit!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Just got to the
U-Boat
. Graphics are very nice; unfortunately, that makes the tearing and frame drops all the more noticeable.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
SiegfriedFM said:
AlphaSnake:

Stick around, Sully will give you hints. Or read the next spoiler:

Shoot the lamp above the woodworks.

Yeah, I figured it out right after this post. But I swear I unloaded on that damn lamp before and nothing. Ooof.

Anywho, just came in to say: best water ever.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
AlphaSnake said:
Yeah, I figured it out right after this post. But I swear I unloaded on that damn lamp before and nothing. Ooof.

Anywho, just came in to say: best water ever.

What is interesting to me is that Evan in that interview today said he wished he could have done the water different....like they were going to use it to do crazy crap. I will find it and post it.

Here it is.

morriss asks: What aspect of the game are you least happy with and why?

Evan Wells: Well this is going to sound strange because it looks so nice, but I'd say the water. And not because there is anything wrong with it but very early in our design stages we wanted to do a lot more fluid dynamics that really affected gameplay. It was cut from the plan very early because of the technological challenges that it presented. But it's something that we want to take another stab at in a future title.

Maybe like realistic rapids or waves?

Top Bottom